• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Gods |OT| You Had Me At Bryan Fuller - Sundays on Starz

No negative impact for me. There has been so much original content and moments that are more fleshed out in the show, that it might be one of the few cases where you won't be constantly comparing the book to the show in your head. I never sat down to watch an episode and knew what to expect. There are a few key moments I want to see done in live action, but I think the show has done enough of its own thing to justify existing.

The only thing I've really gotten from reading the book beforehand is context. So when the show starts getting wrapped up in itself, I know that it is (eventually) going somewhere.
That doesn't sound bad, I think I'll read the book then. Heck, the amazing visuals are much of the fun and the book can't spoil those. Thanks!

Yeah, it's been a long time since I read the book (8 years?) but this really is a great adaptation. In the sense that it keeps the themes consistent but changes key factors to fit the format better.

I am thinking about getting a digital copy to reread it.

jph139

I would definitely recommend reading the book before/alongside the show. They're different enough that the show wouldn't be ruined, but you'd have a lot more context and nuance to the show stuff that seems out of place.

In fact I'm not sure I'd recommend the show to someone who hasn't read the book.

Zutrax

But still, that ODIN sattelite thing four episodes ago... I'm not sure how people missed that.

I'm watching the show with my girlfriend and until this episode I would keep asking "So you still don't know which God Mr Wednesday is?" and she'd keep giving me the response "I genuinely have no idea."

Some people either just don't pick up on visual clues, or aren't as well versed in the mythology I guess.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Finally caught up with the show thanks to a Prime free trial. Loved it. Not surprised though since I like the book a lot and Hannibal one of my favorite shows of all time.

The main reason I made the Wednesday connection was because of a Batman story I read as a kid where Calendar Man randomly lectured about the days of the week.

hydruxo

Wait...
People are actually treating the Wednesday reveal as something big and surprising? I mean, it was pretty fucking clear it was Odin from the get go (him being called Wednesday) or at least since episode 2 (Chernabog calling him Wotan). When the reveal was done, I literally thought "Wow. Why go to all that drama to state what we already know?"

It's more of a
reveal to Shadow than it is a reveal to the viewers
, though I'm sure some people who
weren't familiar with Norse mythology (which is probably more than you'd expect) were surprised.

Monocle

This queen... she kept the party goin'

MJAOoPF.gif

In my veins.

I need the OST on constant loop.
Literal god-queen. I'd worship her as well.

Anyone got a gif of the transition from the moon to her hair? Was one of my favorites of the season.
I have these:
UM35xhz.gif

g3WEiyX.gif

The whole disco scene was amazing. The OST as well.
Yeah, Bilquis is glorious. And that disco scene, whew. I hope she shows up plenty in the next season.

This is such a weird show for non book readers. If I'm honest with my self this show drags to much, pacing is awfully slow for a reason other then them not having enough material, that's what it comes across like.

Massive Dead Like Me and Hannibal fan.

Yeah, I loved Dead Like Me but this show was just kinda meh, 6/10 for me. Binge watched through the entire season this weekend, wife walked away at episode 2 or 3 (too violent) and I considered stopped at 3 or 4, just way too indulgent and unfocused I felt for a long time.

My favorite part of the show was the penultimate episode that focused on Essie's entire story, just a fascinating little slice of historical life. Unfortunately it had almost nothing to do with gods and really nothing at all to do with the main story, but man I would have loved 8 episode of just stories that touch upon the small ways Gods interact with humanity vs Wednesday and Shadow traveling around being mysterious and moody.

Can't fault the show, can't succeed if you don't try, but it just wasn't that interesting to me. If I do watch season 2, which is a big if, I'd binge it again since watching week to week I think would just drive me nuts with how little the story progresses.

FFS, can you give me a rough idea of the content? so I know when to look away?

Thanks

Ack sorry, sent this right before I was away from the computer awhile and didn't see this post. Yeah, as the poster said right below your response you'd be fine just waiting until talking. It wasn't really menacing spiders, just spiders making silk thread, but I can see how it would affect people that don't like spiders one bit.

Sheroking

I would guess a healthy majority of people know Odin insofar as he's a Norse God, and maybe what they've seen in the MCU. I doubt many people knew his connection to the day Wednesday or the alternate name Wutan.

Regardless the point of that scene wasn't about shocking US, it was about Shadow. The only thing that bums me out is that it
didn't happen on the Carousel

Watched the last two episodes. Fucking. Awesome; especially the finale. Really wish this season was longer. Hopefully the wait for the next one isn't too long.

someday

Banned
I'm in the same boat. Sooooo tempted to read the book, but afraid I'll ruin my enjoyment of the TV show. Maybe I can just read his Norse Gods book to tide me over. That and Tad Williams has another Osten Ard book coming out next week. Still, what do book readers think, has it affected (positively or negatively) your enjoyment of the TV show?
I'm a bit late but wanted to respond. Reading the book probably made the show more enjoyable for me. While so many people seem confused and frustrated by the pacing and lord knows what else, I'm loving it immensely. This show has been amazing to me and I think part of it is from mostly knowing where it goes next, even though there have been enough additions in the show that stop me from feeling like I'm re-hashing the book word for word.

As to my feelings about the show, I guess I summed it up above. I have truly loved each episode and it just gets better and better. I really hope they can keep this up into the next season.

Dereck

On episode 4, from the moment Shadow's wife said one word and throughout the rest of the episode I haven't been able to find her likeable and I'm not sure why.

You might say "well at this point you wouldn't find her likeable since you know she cheated on Shadow", OK, but I didn't have an issue with her at all when she was popping up here and there in Shadow's dreams.

It might just be Browning's acting.

cLOUDo

Just finished the season, very good
Weird but good

I hope the others God had more screentime because the shadow/Wednesday dynamics doesn't appeal to me

mad Sweeney was the best character and the
Ashole dead wife the worst

How much of the book was covered in this season?

Floex

People actually dislike the Laura character? :3 Ok, you're supposed to but she was by far, along with Mad Sweeny, the highlight of the show.

big ander

Really only tangentially on-topic but: is Hannibal very similar to this show? I've always planned to catch up with it someday (and then possibly do Pushing Daisies, which I've seen a couple eps of and mostly liked) but I thought this was fucking awful so if there's a lot of overlap I'll just nix it.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Loved this show.

One question.
Everyone is saying the Shadow reveal is bigger than Odin, what was the Shadow reveal?

Monarch of the Glen (novella):
He is an incarnation of Baldur

Was really hoping the last episode would have more... subtlety? The cool thing about American Gods was you kind of needed to read between the lines. There weren't Jesus' walking around everywhere (with super distracting halos). It kind of felt silly. The other episodes have done a pretty good job about it.

Purkake4

Banned
As a book reader (who never like the book that much) I loved it.

Especially what they did with Jesus, genius move and still shame on Gaiman for pussying out on that.

I hope they don't have to make as many cuts for S2 and I really hope Easter sticks around, Chenoweth was made for that role.

hydruxo

I feel like it'll be mid to late summer 2018 by the time S2 drops. Most of the bigger shows nowadays like GoT, Stranger Things, Westworld, etc. take 15+ months before the new season drops. IIRC I saw not long ago they were aiming to start filming in October.

Klocker

Does anyone know, does the Amazon fire TV Starz app render in 1080p or 4k?

Or is it like cable at 1080i or less?

Want to subscribe to watch but want best picture

Thx

Violet_0

Banned
binge-watched the entire season. The show lost me a little in the middle stretch, but the last two episodes were magnificent. I've read the book, I can tell they're really taking it slow. Not so hot about some of the things they invented for the show, but they've come up good with some new material as well
Laura's road trip in particular

People actually dislike the Laura character? :3 Ok, you're supposed to but she was by far, along with Mad Sweeny, the highlight of the show.
right now I'd say Laura is stealing the show

hydruxo

didnt care much for laura at all

She's definitely a divisive character, and I think it comes down to how Emily Browning plays her as so indifferent and non-chalant to everything in her life. That's something people either find obnoxious or kind of entertaining. I think it works best when she's with Sweeney because they play off so well with each other. On her own, Laura's attitude is a bit much sometimes.

HotHamBoy

Y'all saying you didn't know Wednesday is Odin's Day must've skipped that day of primary school. They teach you that when you learn the origins of the days of the week.

didnt care much for laura at all

I liked her a lot. I liked the whole cast, really.

Shadow is a little bland, I guess.

Pixieking

Banned
Y'all saying you didn't know Wednesday is Odin's Day must've skipped that day of primary school. They teach you that when you learn the origins of the days of the week.

I think it may be an age thing - I was taught it at primary school, but my wife (7 years younger than me) wasn't.

(note, I met my wife when she was 18, didn't start dating til she was 20. Just to pre-empt any comments. :p )

She's definitely a divisive character, and I think it comes down to how Emily Browning plays her as so indifferent and non-chalant to everything in her life. That's something people either find obnoxious or kind of entertaining. I think it works best when she's with Sweeney because they play off so well with each other. On her own, Laura's attitude is a bit much sometimes.

I like mcshane and Gillian and stormare

Laura was just boring

hydruxo

I'm 25 and they never taught us any Norse mythology in school. They barely even covered Greek mythology to be honest. I was pretty familiar with Norse mythology on my own having read about it here and there, but yeah I don't know that it's something that's taught in American schools much. At least where I lived growing up it wasn't.

Rogan

Banned
Currently watching episode 07.

I really like this show, can I expect a
climax
or does it fall flat?

Yes or no would be enough :D

Jag

Currently watching episode 07.

I really like this show, can I expect a
climax
or does it fall flat?

Yes or no would be enough :D

Lots of
climaxes.
Just ask Bilquis.

As for your question. Sort of. But it doesn't fall flat. The show only gets about a 1/4 through the book and added a ton of stuff along the way.

Kuros

Really only tangentially on-topic but: is Hannibal very similar to this show? I've always planned to catch up with it someday (and then possibly do Pushing Daisies, which I've seen a couple eps of and mostly liked) but I thought this was fucking awful so if there's a lot of overlap I'll just nix it.

It has a similar shooting style. If you like the cinematography in AG you'll like Hannibal's. Hannibal is much more violent and can get a bit ponderous and style over substance to some people.

Top Bottom