• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Thread 3 | Where release dates are made up and preorders don't matter!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

banner4ks59.png

wave1divider1ws73.png

FMAewnS.png

wave2dividerbjs7l.png

fEu4HUy.png

wave3dividermdsbw.png

wave3lineuprqsvl.png

wave4dividereaj4k.png

wave4lineupycjto.png

smldividery5je7.png

smwave10qj9d.png

Commonly Asked Questions
Q: Can AmiiboGAF help me get hard to find amiibos?
A:There's a lot of options here for you to use. You can send a PM to Azula to be added to the community's Google Doc about such matters, use the trading thread to set up trades with other gaffers. Or check this thread for gaffers offering there services of sending out extras they may have gotten a hold of.

Q:Do the Super Mario Line of amiibos have the same compatibility as the Smash Bros amiibos for characters in both series?
A:Yes. So a Luigi Super Smash Bros Amiibo will be compatible with anything the Super Mario Luigi is compatible with and vice versa.

Q:Are Amiibo Region Free?
A:Yes, aside from different packaging all amiibo figures thus far will work in any region.

Q:Can I use my amiibo without opening the packaging?
A:Sadly you can not due to a piece of metal which blocks the NFC. However it is possible to cut the bottom of the packaging and then use your figure.
Which is the best option for collectors who do not want to buy multiple. Since the cut will not be seen depending on how your display is.

Q:Why is it so hard to find the one I want and how can I still get it?
A:As of this writing Amiibos are a hot item. For both collectors and scalpers. Thus finding amiibos you really want out in the wild can be quite the hunt. It is highly recommended that you pre-order from your preferred retailer ASAP. If the figure you want is already out and you are having trouble finding it you can either import (amazon.de, nippon-yasan.com, amazon.fr, & play-asia.com are popular choices), repeatedly keep check on that specific amiibos web store page (Since restocks do happen), or even trade/buy from other Gaffers here in this thread.

Q:What exactly is Read/Write vs Read Only?
A:Read/Write means that the game does just that. Read the figure as well as writes data to it. Amiibos can only support one game that does this which is currently only SSB. Read Only means that the game just wants to read the amiibo figures data so that it can give you the corresponding unlock. Read Only games WILL NOT affect any data from a Read/Write feature.

Q:Are certain Amiibo figures exclusive?
A:Right now Rosalina (Target), Shulk (Gamestop), Lucario (ToysRUs), and Meta Knight (Best Buy) are the only exclusive figures. Exclusivity deals for these retailers only affects NA.

Q:What will happen to discontinued amiibo figures?
A:While nothing official has been given, Miyamoto has said the use of cards with the same functionality as that amiibo could be offered in the future.

Q:Is there a official compatibility chart?
A:The Nintendo of America Compatibility chart is currently the best on offer from a official source. http://www.nintendo.com/amiibo/compatibility/

Q:Where is the 3DS Amiibo Adapter
A:The release of the peripheral is currently unknown.

Q:Is "X" amiibo rare?
A:Due to limited supply amiibos in general should be considered scarce. So if you want one the sooner the better. However the general rule so far is that the bigger the name/franchise the more common they are. So Mario character's are going to be easier to find especially in the long term compared to someone like Little Mac.

Q:What is the best way to check overall availability?
A:The lovely Salvapot has currently has the best spreadsheet with great information on this. It's a absolutely great resource to use. https://docs.google.com/a/harnettst...fBotji-C2IVnumpNTk2pitxGU/edit#gid=1468274874
Or you can use the magnificent Brian★s spread sheet as well https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xo66GjTVIG3-tx30izodKd_FHTQZ-lG_YGKP5H2RjGE/edit#gid=0

Q:is there a list of AmiiboGAF members I can add to online services such as steam,PSN,XBL,3DS, and WiiU?
A:there is but you'll need to quote this post to see it.

Q:Do you have they new amiibo?
A:
image6rfnj.jpg

Gotta say once you get a whole wave preorder everything becomes Zen lol, I've basically got all the other waves except Mario Party Amiibos on preorder.

Soul Beat

Target employee told me that about 8 people have called the store so far regarding Rosalina. So at what time should I be creepin on the parking lot?

Ludist210

Yet another thread! Wow!

I'm sick as can be today. Tomorrow I might venture out to the doc in the box... Which is right near Target. Hmmm...

Psyae

Yes!! I love the new thread title!

Btw good luck to all going out for Rosalina tomorrow! Hopefully all Targets enforce the 1 per customer rule

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Target employee told me that about 8 people have called the store so far regarding Rosalina. So at what time should I be creepin on the parking lot?
At least 3 hours before the store opens. Stay in your car until you see someone else show up then get out and wait by the door.

StAidan

Continuing the amiibo fever!

Glad I'm not stuck on getting every single figure, the few I want are maddening enough to obtain.

llexan

The one I'm going to only has 12 so figured I'd get there an hour early and I'm gonna stand in front of the door the whole time. Luckily the guy I talked to said they'll be limiting purchases so scalpers can't swoop in and destroy.

Really hope this is the last one I miss a preorder haha.

Soul Beat

So just to Confirm. Shulk is out at gamestop tomorrow in the US?
I thought that was the 13th.
At least 3 hours before the store opens. Stay in your car until you see someone else show up then get out and wait by the door.
The one I'm going to only has 12 so figured I'd get there an hour early and I'm gonna stand in front of the door the whole time. Luckily the guy I talked to said they'll be limiting purchases so scalpers can't swoop in and destroy.

Really hope this is the last one I miss a preorder haha.

An hour sounds good. I might fall asleep in my car otherwise. lol

Went to Destiny USA with my girlfriend and found a metric ton of the casual amiibos. Not surprised in the slightest, but I was hoping for at least a specialty store reselling them marked up. Nada.

Going to Traget bright and early tomorrow. I'll try and get on of you guys in need a Rosie as well.

I understand them out of stock feels. Hashtag shulk never forget 2015

mjc

I keep thinking wave four will go up for preorder, I just need Robin and Lucina and I'll be DONE.

So aside from MP10, what other games are going to have amiibos?

I feel like any major Wii U release has a chance. Not sure about 3DS releases unless another main series Pokemon game comes out.

G0523

Love the thread title. Can't wait till tomorrow morning so I can (hopefully) get this Rosalina nonsense done and over with.

So when does meta knight release? Best buy order days 12/31 lol

Rumors right now are pointing to February 28 but I'm sure some of us will check tomorrow (myself included).

Jawmuncher

Went to Destiny USA with my girlfriend and found a metric ton of the casual amiibos. Not surprised in the slightest, but I wa shooing for at least a specialty store reselling them marked up. Nada.
I'm close to Syracuse myself. Glad to know the trip down there isn't worth it. Since I was expecting as much. Is the one local game store still in here? No Amiibos there either?
Brian Altano from IGN chiming in to say I love you guys and that these threads have been immensely helpful <3
Glad to hear the community has been helping you out with your amiibo needs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom