• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Wolf Link to unlock a new dungeon in Twilight Princess HD ?

Vena

It doesn't seem like something an Amazon employee would make up. Though that would be hilariously bizare and definitely disappointing. So I imagine Nintendo asked for Amazon to remove it.

But why? They've never removed leaks like this before.

We had a similar result with Splatoon, SMM, and others, and the leaks were always just left there.

Nanashrew

Banned
Sure, I can see it that way too.

Now I ask why was the information removed from the Amazon listing?

Dunno. Could have been wrong info, or revealed before it should have been. I imagine a Direct is coming very soon since it's out in 2 months though so we'll learn everything then about what the amiibo does. So far we know diddly squat about the changes to the game outside of removing a few tears and an increase of rupees.

maxcriden

We had a similar result with Splatoon, SMM, and others, and the leaks were always just left there.

Good question. It's possible practices have changed. It certainly looked real but maybe an Amazon employee was just trolling.

Seik

Banned
If that ends up being true, why not? I'm all in for an extra dungeon! :D

I was pretty much getting that Amiibo anyway, it'll go well with my...44 others.

Gah, it hurts just to think how much money I invested in this stuff. :lol

Mory Dunz

One would think that the catastrophic performances of MP10 and AC:AF would teach them otherwise.

MP10? Are you sure your not confusing it with Mario Tennis?

We at least know in Japan Mario Pary 10 has done 200k retail. And in its first month in NPD it did 290,000 retail.

I wouldn't be surprised if it sells more than DK and Pikmin.

If that ends up being true, why not? I'm all for an extra dungeon! :D

I was pretty much getting that Amiibo anyway, it'll go well with my...44 others.

Gah, it hurts just to think how much money I invested in this stuff. :lol

God you are telling me.

Started doing the simple math in my head the other day and almost cried.

But they are pretty awesome, so it's worth it.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Maybe the info was incomplete. You need the Wolf and Zelda amiibo to unlock the new dungeon which is built with assets from Zelda U.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
My understanding is that all unfinished dungeons like this have gone on to already be used in subsequent Zelda games. I'd be very fascinated if it was a newly completed previously unfinished dungeon, though. I agree they will probably have to straddle the odd line between modern design and fitting the aesthetic and design of the game. That should be interesting. I imagine it could very well be a boss rush or challenge area, though, but I'll be very interested to see regardless.

Yeah, I'm only expecting a challenge area where you fight Twilight creatures or something. It seems like way too much work (and rather unnecessary, given the game's length) for this remaster to have an actual new full dungeon.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I hope the 8-Bit Mario Amiibo adds a retro mode so you can play Twilight Princess HD in SD.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I hope the Toon Link Amiibo unlocks the realistic Wind Waker with TP graphics we were promised in EGM.

SalvaPot

I have to say, for such a passionate debate it has remained fairly civil. I appreciate that. Thanks GAF.

I think the main takeaway from this is that there is vocal consumer that feel excluded by Nintendo's focus on Amiibo. I feel this is a fair complain to make. We still don't have the full information, as everyone has noted, but its clear that if the cave locked behind the amiibo is exclusive to it, it will be seen as an unfair practice since they are blocking an exciting feature behind a toy that, as appealing as it is, not everyone wants to get.

So really, I hope Nintendo considered this and made the right decision to allow the cave to be available in some other way. This way people with Amiibo can get a reward and enjoy it faster, and people who don't want an amiibo can enjoy unlocking the extra content.

Nintendo´s Track record has been pretty stellar so far, the only one I don't like that much is the Shovel Knight integration, but that one is on Yatch Club Games, not Nintendo.

I love amiibo implementation and totally understand those who don't.

I think Nintendo could have definitely done it better, but for me, at this point and time it struck a chord.

Honestly wish they'd take it a step further. You should be able to buy the Cloud amiibo for instance to unlock DLC in Smash Bros OR pay for it alone.

MisterHero

I pray that anyone complaining about Amiibo has never ever:
-pre-ordered a game for exclusive content
-purchased a console-specific SKU for exclusive content
-or bought a game from a certain store for exclusive content.

Adding to the above, Zelda fans should be familiar with limited time offers. They as gamers should be familiar with the above practices and should not suddenly be offended by amiibos.

-Zelda DX had a special dungeon playable only on Gameboy Color
-Ocarina of Time/Master Quest only available by Wind Waker preorders
-Hyrule Warriors had store-exclusive DLC

Yeah, Amiibos being physical content keys has their own challenges, but they also have their upside too.

-Providing Nintendo makes enough, they are available indefinitely. No exclusivity to launch date BS.
-they don't require the internet and up-to-date services.* You can use them years and years later. You could lose a digital key if you accidentally erase it and the console's store no longer supports the system.
-most are well constructed. They are like a preorder/collector's edition gifts for casual customers.

*Games like Super Mario Maker are getting updated to support more amiibos, and it will probably be FREE DLC. imagine that

tenderbrew said:
Honestly wish they'd take it a step further. You should be able to buy the Cloud amiibo for instance to unlock DLC in Smash Bros OR pay for it alone.
It really is a good idea. Except in Smash Cloud's DLC contains multiple factors:

-He is actually two DLCs for the two games and are individually priced. Would the statue sell one version for the higher price or the discounted combined price?
-He comes with a stage which is it's own purchase.
-misc content like the Chocobo hat

If they combined together even at a discount, such an Amiibo would cost much more than they do now.

Ozium

How is it pirating if the content is included on the disc you paid for?

because you didn't pay for the content?

what about post-release DLC? They update the game with a software update.. I didn't pay for that, but now it's on my system.. Using your logic I now "own" that content and have a right to access it without paying.

Sounds like piracy to me

javadoze

Even if the new dungeon were to be something similar to the cave of trials, this is probably the first time a game's amiibo functionality rubbed me the wrong way.

I bet its a dungeon that can be accessed early in the game vs.. later w/out the amiibo.

Dungeon probably gives some kind of extra powerup.

PtM

Banned
I dunno, at least this would be resellable.

If you consider amiibo DLC, you could buy the figure for $14 and then turn around and sell it when you're done and recoup most of your money.

With DLC you're stuck with it...

giphy.gif
Hey, that's true. This actually paints them in a quite positive light. Thread worthy, really.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Now that I'm back I can put my two cents on this.

Yes, I think it sucks if the amiibo is the only way to access the dungeon.
Nintendo is walking this very thin line of making an amiibo worth it outside of just being a plastic toy with no real use and something worthwhile.

That said, I'm excited that TP is getting an extra dungeon, even if it would have make more sense for Wind Waker HD to get it.

Unless. That dungeon is linked somehow to Zelda Wii U. The fact that only the Wolf Link amiibo unlocks it makes me think Zelda Wii U is gonna be connected to Twilight Princess, maybe even be a sequel.

PtM

Banned
It's happening.
Okay the info isn't from Malo, but from Famitsu.

http://nintendoeverything.com/famitsu-sheds-light-on-zelda-twilight-princess-hds-amiibo-features/

The bonus dungeon is called Thorough Battle: Trial of the Beast.
Finishing the dungeon gives you a wallet of 9,999 rupees.
The Ganondorf amiibo makes you take 2x damage (so with Hero Mode that's 4x)

oops dp
Ganondorf coincidentally is one of the amiibos I own. Now I'm on the other part of the fence. Sorry, guys!

Top Bottom