• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Wolf Link to unlock a new dungeon in Twilight Princess HD ?

Costumes and extra little superfluous add-ons, I am ok with being locked to amiibo, but actual substantial gameplay? That's ridiculous.

If this actually ended up being the case, I would be pretty surprised if the amiibo is the only way you can unlock the dungeon.

The idea is that the content wouldn't exist without the Amiibo. It doesn't matter how appealing the content is that is actually locked.

I can not and will not believe that it would only be green-lit to pour resources into making another dungeon because of an amiibo.

VegiHam

They're creating extra content for consumers who buy more of their products. It is not likely that this content would exist if amiibo did not.

That's not anti-consumer. You're looking at it backwards.

You absolutely cannot prove that. A bonus dungeon is exactly the sort of thing they'd throw in a remake anyway; and I seriously doubt they sat down to think about what extra content they could create just for amiibo fans.

Also, I don't think it's fair that not being interested in plastic toys should make me some kind of second class gamer who isn't allowed to play all their stuff; and I don't think amiibo fans should be encouraging it.

EhoaVash

Cool. I was going to cancel my preorder but ..now im more interested to see what this new dungeon is. I loved the cave of ordeals in TP. More content of that would be really nice.

Ansatz

They're locking on-disc content behind a plastic paywall and monetizing it.

And some Nintendo fans rejoice this decision and call it "hardly anti-consumer."

The idea is that the content wouldn't exist without the Amiibo. It doesn't matter how appealing the locked content is.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
so horse armor is cool then

Do you live in a world where DLCs don't exist? Because in my reality DLCs are real and plenty in gaming. And they are here to stay, because they produce a lot of money. And so are amiibo. Now everybody is free to buy or not to buy a DLC or an amiibo.

But people who want to buy a DLC or a amiibo of course are happy to get good content for that money, it's not that difficult to understand. If you don't want the amiibo or the content you can buy the game without it. In the same way you can buy a game without DLCs.

Sacul64GC

Banned
GhostTrick, you clearly are heavily biased against amiibo you don't take your time to do proper research.

You can still buy it at Gamestop. Its actually been up for a very long time now, weeks even.

If Nintendo announces there is a way to unlock the extra dungeon without Amiibo, would you be ok with it existing? Answer this please.

I work there its literally been up since its announcement and is still up in store and one the site so I dont know why people keep saying its sold out.

Possibly putting an extra dungeon behind an amiibo is understandably worrying for some, but I don't understand why some backlash that they're not buying the game just because an extra, optional, non-mandatory dungeon not in the original game may possibly need an amiibo to enter. We don't even know what the dungeon offers and how it may make an effect towards Zelda U.

So bad practices in the past are the excuse for a bad practice in a current title?

Is it really bad practise? It sounds like completely optional newly developed content. Its locked behind an amiibo -ok, would you rather it not exist at all? There are so many people over reacting over this. I for one look forward to seeing what they've added to this game and as a fan of Twilight Princess I really want the Wolf Link amiibo anyway. All I've taken from the OP is there's new content in Twilight Princess HD so let's just enjoy it.

As others have said it sounds like new Cave of Ordeals content so it really isn't anything huge.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
You absolutely cannot prove that. A bonus dungeon is exactly the sort of thing they'd throw in a remake anyway; and I seriously doubt they sat down to think about what extra content they could create just for amiibo fans.

They didn't do it for WW HD and MM 3d(I think).

And it's not a remake.

GametimeUK

I absolutely hate the amiibo business model. I mean I guess I can live without the content it will unlock, but it still doesn't sit right with me because I'd still prefer access to it. At the very least the content could be unlocked optionally via a microtransaction, but no, you must buy what I consider to be a worthless piece of plastic. I fail to see how Nintendo get a pass for amiibo.

Sandfox

Also, I don't think it's fair that not being interested in plastic toys should make me some kind of second class gamer who isn't allowed to play all their stuff; and I don't think amiibo fans should be encouraging it.

Given how important Amiibo is to them they probably do that rather than picking something from the game to tie with Amiibo after the fact.

jariw

Basically this ... I think this was discussed before and it is not a good practice if the people that doesn't want the amiibo hasn't another way to play this DLC because this is basically DLC:

If viewed as DLC, it will be DLC at a really really bad value. The new dungeon will probably add something like 1% playing time to the full game. Amiibo content should be optional stuff that doesn't really matter for the game, which this is.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
The people bitching about this.... Would you be more happy if this was just paid DLC for 10 bucks?

Just not seeing the issue... Amiibos are more or less Nintendo own spin on DLC and unlocks. People who pay more get more... Like it's always been.

PS. They know their audience and I don't think there are many people who a)own a WiiU b) are interested in a TP Remake c) would be this upset because of optional Amiibo unlocks.

lherre

Accurate
Is it really bad practise? It sounds like completely optional newly developed content. Its locked behind an amiibo -ok, would you rather it not exist at all? There are so many people over reacting over this. I for one look forward to seeing what they've added to this game and as a fan of Twilight Princess I really want the Wolf Link amiibo anyway. All I've taken from the OP is there's new content in Twilight Princess HD so let's just enjoy it.

My concern is about the issue that you can't access this without the amiibo. As some people has said, there are a lot of people that aren't interested in the figures but they are interested in the content. I think it is a fair complain.

Possibly putting an extra dungeon behind an amiibo is understandably worrying for some, but I don't understand why some backlash that they're not buying the game just because an extra, optional, non-mandatory dungeon not in the original game may possibly need an amiibo to enter. We don't even know what the dungeon offers and how it may make an effect towards Zelda U.

My problem with this is that they have done a hit and miss job at remastering the graphics in an HD remaster that is completely shadowed by the work done on WWHD, then they 'supposedly' work on adding an additional location in game and then lock it to an amiibo. That's why I would be upset with the product.

I don't think this will end up being the case, but it's a possibility. My main concerns for the game are bigger than this amiibo thing at the moment.

Neoxon

As stated by the others, none of the other Zelda remakes had a bonus dungeon.

Ms.Galaxy

Maybe this will make people think differently.

EA has created a toy line for Dead Space Remaster. Scanning in one of these toys unlocks an exclusive "new" area in the game, an area that is locked on disc. You can't get this exclusive content any other way except buy this toy for 12.99 US$.

If EA actually did this, people will be beyond pissed, especially those defending this amiibo practice in this thread. But because Nintendo is Nintendo, and because they have so much good will from their fans, they can get away from shitty practices and people will defend them no matter what.

This is a shitty business practice. I would be fine if there was another way to unlock the content, but if this is true, and they're locking out exclusive content to a plastic toy, I'm cancelling my preorder. I refuse to support anti-consumer practices like this.

On the plus side if any one wants to play the on disc dungeon of contention in twenty years time at least the amiibos will still be around then whereas verification servers may well be shut down.

Semajer

Wow, a new dungeon in a 3D Zelda port? I wonder if they made any new assets for the dungeon. Probably not. If they didn't make new assets it's probably some thing like a new Cave of Ordeals.

Sounds like just a new part of the Cave of Ordeals.

Or this.

Edit: Actually, thinking about it, I suppose they could reuse content from the other dungeons to give the dungeon items more uses. Maybe something like a mini-dungeon for each item like the rooms in Ganon's Tower in Ocarina of Time.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

EA has created a toy line for Dead Space Remaster. Scanning in one of these toys unlocks an exclusive "new" area in the game, an area that is locked on disc. You can't get this exclusive content any other way except buy this toy for 12.99 US$.

If EA actually did this, people will be beyond pissed, especially those defending this amiibo practice in this thread. But because Nintendo is Nintendo, and because they have so much good will from their fans, they can get away from shitty practices and people will defend them no matter what.

This is a shitty business practice. I would be fine if there was another way to unlock the content, but if this is true, and they're locking out exclusive content to a plastic toy, I'm cancelling my preorder. I refuse to support anti-consumer practices like this.
So any form of paid DLC or add-ons is an anti consumer practice?

That's dreadful, I don't want to buy dead space toys at all, does the example still work if its 'mirrors edge' cause i'd really like a faith figure.

My concern is about the issue that you can't access this without the amiibo. As some people has said, there are a lot of people that aren't interested in the figures but they are interested in the content. I think it is a fair complain.

I suppose I can see the issue, we should probably wait until the content is officially announced and whether it can be unlocked via alternate methods before going up in arms though.

So, if true, potentially the only new meaningful content in this full price remaster is locked behind an Amiibo? Looking forward to seeing people defend this, unless I'm already too late.

Edit: I am already too late.

VegiHam

They didn't do it for WW HD and MM 3d(I think).

And it's not a remake.
Right, sorry, remaster.

Link's Awakening DX had one. And all you had to do was play the game on new hardware. If I play TP on my Wii U I still need extra money for new stuff? I didn't need an amiibo for OoT3D's added boss rush, for example.
Given how important Amiibo is to them they probably do that rather than picking something from the game to tie with Amiibo after the fact.
Well that's a depressing thought.
The people bitching about this.... Would you be more happy if this was just paid DLC for 10 bucks?

Just not seeing the issue... Amiibos are more or less Nintendo own spin on DLC and unlocks. People who pay more get more... Like it's always been.

PS. They know their audience and I don't think there are many people who a)own a WiiU b) are interested in a TP Remake c) would be this upset because of optional Amiibo unlocks.
Hi, I am those people. And yes, if there was a DLC option I would be happier. I want the minimum possible physical gaming stuff; amiibo will never be the right option.
As stated by the others, none of the other Zelda remakes had a bonus dungeon.
No, but since this (probably) wont be a full dungeon there are comparable examples.

Pineconn

Lol, let's wait for more information about the circumstances of the new content before spewing the vitriol.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Do you talk about same EA that earns now more money from DLCs and monetization than from actual games?

Yeah, people hate and boycott that so much that it hurts their business. Oh, wait.

Ms.Galaxy

So any form of paid DLC or add-ons is an anti consumer practice?

If it's already on disc and needing a physical toy to unlock it, yes, I'd say so. I mean, just a few years ago, there was outrage because Capcom had on disc DLC in Street Fighter. Are we okay with it now?

Lol, let's wait for more information about the circumstances of the new content before spewing the vitriol.

Yes, I suppose that is a wiser option. For all I know, it could be unlocked through different means, then I would have no issue with that.

Character skins and temporary inconsequential bonuses aside, I'm really not a fan of amiibos acting as unlock keys for content that have no intrinsic need to be tied to them. Since we no idea what the dungeon is, there could possibly be something that does make smart use of them. However, seeing Nintendo's implementation of amiibos in other games, I doubt it.

Edit:
I'm saying this as a person with the Amiibo version preordered

akashhhhh

Yes, it exists.

Link? With the game with amiibo retailing for 60, I'd be surprised if the first run had a disc only version in NA. Especially given how many preorders there have been for the game plus amiibo, uncharacteristic for Nintendo...

I reckon it would be pretty cool if the twilight cave is a location in both this and the new wii u game and the amiibo allows it to take on time capsule like properties, that way its a nice touch but it isn't really gonna upset anyone with a fatal plastic dog allergy.

Akiller

Cancelling your preorder?Nah man ,just don't buy the amiibo.

We've known since the announcement of TP HD that Wolf Link's data will carry over to Zelda U. I wonder how? Must have something to do with what you do in the Twilight Cave.

SalvaPot

People would be pissed anyway. People are always pissed at everything, no matter how reasonable. If the game was $50 without a figure and with the extra content, people would be angry because "its too expensive for a remake of a decade old game, make it $20 and I´ll buy it"

Its extra content locked behind a toy. You want it? Get the toy. Don't want it? Cancel the preorder, as you said you would. People "defend" it because its a good deal for them, is that such an alien concept? Its an incentive to buy the toy and as you can see its a good thing for those who want the toy.

Oh, and here is an idea. Buy the bundle, unlock the dungeon, play it, and sell the toy. You are going to make your money back easily. What other DLC do you know can do that?

And Dead Space toys sound awful btw, make it Harry Potter toys and lock the Duel Club minigame behind it and we can talk.

Dryk

I suppose I can see the issue, we should probably wait until the content is officially announced and whether it can be unlocked via alternate methods before going up in arms though.
None the substantial content locked behind Amiibo thus far has been available separately.

I like how people continue to feel the need to make comments about "plastic toys" as if that's beneath just buying the content digitally.
Do you know how much space a DLC unlock code takes up? Zero. Do you know how much space an Amiibo someone doesn't want takes up? More than zero.

Okay so what if its not On Disk content and its in a update patch for the game then. Will you guys still bitch because we all had to download that content?
Just curoius.

In all seriousness though. I don't see why we should complain about something that is going to be another Cave of Ordeals thing here.

They haven't really done anything of the sort for a paywall for amiibos yet though. With Hyrule Warrior it was just an extra weapon that you didn't even need. Mario Kart gave you costume for Miis.Can't think of anything else. Why would this honestly be any different. Either theres a way it can be unlocked or the content is going to be minuscule.

None the substantial content locked behind Amiibo thus far has been available separately.

Do you know how much space a DLC unlock code takes up? Zero. Do you know how much space an Amiibo someone doesn't want takes up? More than zero.
If it bothers a person that much, either sell it or toss it away.

When Mass Effect 3 did this kind of thing (though with normal dlc) everyone said it was awful. I understand that was likely more content but still..

When Nintendo do it some say it is OK because of Amiibo.

I'm personally having an issue with the hypocrisy, and while I will reserve judgement on what the content is, if the Amiibo can't be found and it can't be purchased as dlc then it is ridiculous - especially if it is a reasonable amount of content.

Top Bottom