• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Wolf Link to unlock a new dungeon in Twilight Princess HD ?

According to Amazon.fr:
http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B017XX1HO4/

De nombreux bonus avec les amiibo « The Legend of Zelda » : posez tous les amiibo liés à la série The Legend of Zelda pour bénéficier de différents bonus dans le jeu, comme recharger le carquois de flèches ou la jauge de cœur. Le nouvel amiibo Link Loup vous permettra même d’accéder au donjon inédit « La Cave du Crépuscule » ! Il enregistrera également des données qui pourront être transférées dans le prochain épisode de la série sur Wii U.

Or roughly translated in English:

Unlock bonuses with "The Legend of Zelda" amiibos: Tap all the amiibos for the Zelda series to unlock bonuses in the game, such as regenerating your life, or getting arrows for your bow. The new Wolf Link amiibo even allows you to get into a new dungeon: "The Twilight Cave". The data recorded on this Amiibo can even be transfered to the next episode on Wii U.

Not sure if old, didnt found anything. Sounds pretty bad if true.

shawnlreed

Awesome! I'm always up for another Twilight Princess dungeon. They are some of the best Zelda dungeons in the series.

TheMoon

Locking content such as a new dungeon behind a limited print figurine ? Definitely sounds shitty.
Especially for a 40 euros remaster of a Gamecube game.

A figurine that comes bundled with the game... for regular price and that will be widely available by itself.

I wish people would decide finally if they want amiibo to be more useful in a game or not. It's getting annoying, this constant back and forth.

fernoca

They did said that the amiibo would be compatible with the next game; and this confirms it. So whatever happens in that dungeon may be connected to the new game.

Pretty shitty if true. Annoying to think that significant content on the disc is being locked away behind an amiibo.
Significant content? Is a new/extra dungeon maybe like 15-30 minutes long. Is not locked content from the original game.

Rootbeer

Banned
As an amiibo fan, i'm okay with it. Easy to understand otherwise though. It will probably end up being a rather inconsequential addition to the game. It usually happens in situations like this. The added content in the DS version of Chrono Trigger comes to mind.

The amiibo looks great. How can you be a Zelda fan and not want it!

A figurine that comes bundled with the game... for regular price and that will be widely available by itself.

I wish people would decide finally if they want amiibo to be more useful in a game or not. It's getting annoying, this constant back and forth.

You get it wrong: People dont want Amiibos at all. It doesnt come bundled with the game, its a limited edition. And its already out of stock.

If this is true and it's a significant location within the game, then this is bullshit and Nintendo deserve a significant backlash. But I'm sure there won't be, because Wii U owners seem quite happy with Amiibos.

JoeM86

Interesting. Wonder what data is saved to it though
You get it wrong: People dont want Amiibos at all. It doesnt come bundled with the game, its a limited edition. And its already out of stock.

There's a difference between people, and you. You don't want it. Others do. Others like amiibo, hence why they sell.

People also complain that amiibo functionality is minimal, so they're adding more value to them. Deal with it. The game is still complete without it.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Seeing as this works with all the Zelda linked amiibo, I'm fine with it. Edit: read comprehension fail. Still fine with it, because I already pre-ordered the special edition right when it went up, because I like that amiibo.

I didn't expect any new dungeon/content to be in, so this sounds great.

Edit: also curious what data will be transferred to Zelda Wii U.

Considering how little they seem to be doing with the rest of the game, I'm not sure if we should expect this dungeon to be very substantial. It's not like Twilight Princess was lacking in dungeons to begin with either. I'll take a 'wait and see' approach on this one.

jariw

They did said that the amiibo would be compatible with the next game; and this confirms it. So whatever happens in that dungeon may be connected to the new game.

Yes, this sounds like the most likely thing: a special connection to the new game.

Interesting. Wonder what data is saved to it though

There's a difference between people, and you. You don't want it. Others do.

I'm explaining to him/her that this isnt a complain from people who wanted Amiibos to be useful but that there's also a lot of people who dont want these Amiibos to lock content.

If this is true, I don't like it at all, I hope the amiibo only eases the way to get into the dungeon, and can be unlocked by anyone who doesn't have the amiibo.

I was going to buy the Amiibo edition anyway, but this amiibo paywall is something I don't dig at all.

Murugo

Quite awful for completionists and 100% speedrunners if this is true. Also, what do they mean by the "next episode"?

Edit: Probably Zelda Wii U. Oh right, it was in the direct.

JoeM86

I'm explaining to him/her that this isnt a complain from people who wanted Amiibos to be useful but that there's also a lot of people who dont want these Amiibos to lock content.

The content that is locked behind amiibo is almost always content that would not exist if not for the amiibo. It's a fallacy that people say they're locking stuff behind it.

Quite awful for completionists and 100% speedrunners if this is true. Also, what do they mean by the "next episode"?

They mean Zelda Wii U. Nintendo confirmed this in the last Direct.

The next Zelda game.

The content that is locked behind amiibo is almost always content that would not exist if not for the amiibo. It's a fallacy that people say they're locking stuff behind it.

Wow. There's still people to believe that ? Are you trying to tell me that if it wasnt for the Amiibo, Nintendo wouldnt have released new content for a minimal HD upport of a 2006 GC game sold for 40 to 50 euros ?

Sorry, thats just on-disk content locked. People thinking that Nintendo just came to the dev team and said "Btw guys, can you please make this new content as we're making Amiibos now ?" when its more like "Okay, we need to find a way for people to want these Amiibos. Lets just lock this behind that."

Ansatz

If this is true and it's a significant location within the game, then this is bullshit and Nintendo deserve a significant backlash. But I'm sure there won't be, because Wii U owners seem quite happy with Amiibos.

You're not a Wii U owner?! what's wrong with you

TheMoon

Oh? You sure? lol

It's out of stock because that's how amazon works. They don't take infinite preorders.

But let's keep the outrage train rolling...

iMkh

Neo Member
Interesting. I wonder if it will try to use the Gamepad in a "special way" but I will be pretty surprised if so.

Tookay

I don't see Nintendo devoting resources towards new dungeon design.

This will be a Cave of Ordeals-esque enemy gauntlet at best.

Joey Ravn

Banned
That would be a good way for me to not touch Twilight Princess HD with a 10 foot pole.

Of course forfeiting the whole game instead of opting not to buy the optional dungeon is the sensible way to go! I have to assume that you play very few games every year if you apply that logic to everything and not just to games with amiibo.

Edit: Probably Zelda Wii U. Oh right, it was in the direct.

100% usually doesn't include bonus stuff, unless bonus stuff is counted towards the total in-game (which doesn't happen quite often). So the "think of the speedrunners!" argument is kinda moot, really. As for completionists... if they don't have any problem paying money for DLC, they shouldn't have any problem paying for an amiibo that unlocks DLC. So, again, neither completionists nor speedrunners are groups affected by this move.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

That would be interesting, if it ends up with a cliffhanger for Zelda Wii U.

ramparter

Banned
Who do you speak in behalf for?
Personally I think it's better to have worthwhile unlockings. Perhaps the best way would be to give alternative access through payment.

SalvaPot

I like amiibo and I like bonuses because I buy amiibo. Also the game with the amiibo is not rare at all, gamestop and amazon still has it online.

Otherwise I would like for there to be a way to unlock the dungeon without amiibo. Maybe collecting all 60 souls will unlock it without the need for the amiibo? Seems silly for Nintendo not to have a way to unlock it without pissing off the people that buy it digital.

Neoxon

I like amiibo and I like bonuses because I buy amiibo. Also the game with the amiibo is not rare at all, gamestop and amazon still has it online.

Otherwise I would like for there to be a way to unlock the dungeon without amiibo. Maybe collecting all 60 souls will unlock it without the need for the amiibo? Seems silly for Nintendo not to have a way to unlock it without pissing off the people that buy it digital.
That makes me feel better about the whole thing. That plus the Amiibo brings this game to the typical normal price of most Wii U games. I'm guessing this new dungeon will tie into Zelda U somehow.

SalvaPot

GhostTrick, you clearly are heavily biased against amiibo you don't take your time to do proper research.

You can still buy it at Gamestop. Its actually been up for a very long time now, weeks even.

If Nintendo announces there is a way to unlock the extra dungeon without Amiibo, would you be ok with it existing? Answer this please.

Sandfox

I doubt this content will be anything people care about. Like someone mentioned I'm expecting a gauntlet.

The next Zelda game.

Wow. There's still people to believe that ? Are you trying to tell me that if it wasnt for the Amiibo, Nintendo wouldnt have released new content for a minimal HD upport of a 2006 GC game sold for 40 to 50 euros ?

Sorry, thats just on-disk content locked. People thinking that Nintendo just came to the dev team and said "Btw guys, can you please make this new content as we're making Amiibos now ?" when its more like "Okay, we need to find a way for people to want these Amiibos. Lets just lock this behind that."
It's not that crazy to believe that the content was created for the Amiibo.

GhostTrick, you clearly are heavily biased against amiibo you don't take your time to do proper research.

You can still buy it at Gamestop. Its actually been up for a very long time now, weeks even.

If Nintendo announces there is a way to unlock the extra dungeon without Amiibo, would you be ok with it existing? Answer this please.

Sure I would be okay with this, hence why I'm okay with Amiibos in Mario Maker.
And yes, I wasnt aware of the Amiibo being sold separately but it fix only one part of the problem: Its not limited. But its still to be bought. I'm biased toward bad practices. I dont mind Amiibos being used to store data and such or unlock content that you can unlock without it.

Neoxon

You don't want Amiibos, others do. As for the Amiibos locking content, do some research before you let your obvious bias against Amiibos get the better of you. The Twilight Princess HD Amiibo bundle is in plentiful stock (at least in North America), so I don't see the problem.

Sure I would be okay with this, hence why I'm okay with Amiibos in Mario Maker.
And yes, I wasnt aware of the Amiibo being sold separately but it fix only one part of the problem: Its not limited. But its still to be bought. I'm biased toward bad practices. I dont mind Amiibos being used to store data and such or unlock content that you can unlock without it.
I'm gonna go out on a limb & guess that you don't live in North America.

Top Bottom