• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amnesia: The Bunker Delayed to May 16th 2023 (from March)

Flabagast

Day one even if I am being cautious, the marketing for this has been really really weird and contrary to their previous outings story does not seem to be the main focus for this one

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
blade-runner.gif

SJRB

Gold Member
I mean, aside from a couple of absolutely ridiculous gameplay bits and a remarkably bland trailer we know nothing about this game.

In fact, if that gameplay is anything to go by they need another two years. It looked terrible.

Mozzarella

The year of Horror Games.
I wonder what will come out on top.
This may be the scariest of them all, and RE4 or Dead Space may be the best overall package. We'll see.

Flabagast

I am an absolute fan of Frictional Games, notably holding SOMA as maybe the best sorry told in this medium

But I find the marketing for this absolutely terrible

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Watch out! Noises attract the monster 💀

Amnesia: The Bunker – A Unique Take on Survival Horror​

Amnesia: The Bunker is an upcoming sequel to the Amnesia series, known for its terrifying horror games that have captivated players for years. However, this game takes a different approach to survival horror by focusing more on the moment-to-moment actions and choices players make while navigating an open setting. The game is set during World War One and players take on the role of French soldier Henry Clement, who finds himself trapped in an abandoned bunker's infirmary with little memory of what occurred during the conflict. Planning an escape, players must gather resources and uncover the creepy experiments that have occurred in the facility, all while avoiding a monster known as the Beast.

Back to Basics​

Unlike the previous entries in the Amnesia series, which had a more cinematic and plot-heavy approach, The Bunker takes a back-to-basics approach with its streamlined narrative. This is to give way for the new world design that focuses on a less guided and semi-open setting to explore. Players will need to collect resources and ammo to survive in the base, all while keeping the bunker's lights on. The placement of collectible items like bullets and fuel is also randomly placed around the environment, ensuring players don't get too attached to a particular survival strategy.

Classic Resident Evil Meets Amnesia​

The setting of World War One is a clever and visually striking environment for Amnesia, which turns the already horrific time period into even more of a nightmare to contend with. What's unique and intriguing about The Bunker is that it moves the moody aesthetic of the Amnesia series to a more traditional survival horror experience, similar to Classic Resident Evil. However, the game still maintains the deliberate and steadfast pace that Amnesia is known for.

As a soldier, Henry is more capable of defending himself than other protagonists from the series. He has access to a gun, grenades, flares, and other makeshift instruments to defend himself and even bust open pathways to new areas. He also has access to a Dynamo lamp, which needs to be hand-cranked for each use, adding a little extra tension. However, players are much better off avoiding conflict and laying low. Using the revolver requires extremely careful aim, and players will need to unfasten the ammo cylinder to count how many bullets they have left.

Resource Management in an Open Setting​

The core of what sets The Bunker apart from the rest of the Amnesia series is that it's a game of extremely careful resource management in an open setting, as opposed to a tight linear narrative experience. Every time players decide to leave their safe haven, they're on the clock before the generator runs out, so they'll need to make their moves on the outside count. The expansive nature of the game and its freeform approach to careful navigation is enjoyable, but it can also cause a paralyzing feeling at times.

Conclusion​

Blending the dense and unnerving atmosphere of Amnesia with resource management and the act of carefully navigating into danger is a potent mix for a horror game. So far, Amnesia: The Bunker is shaping up to be an exciting turn for the franchise, which still manages to keep up its scares. The game is set to release soon, and it's definitely one to keep an eye on for horror game fans. For more on upcoming video games, check out IGN's Hands-On previews for Redfall, The Remnant 2, and Star Wars Jedi Survivor.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Overcome fear, persevere, and make your way out alive.

In this gameplay demonstration of Amnesia: The Bunker we show an in depth look of the game’s dynamic and immersive ways to tackle survival.

Amnesia: The Bunker is launching May 23rd

Toots

Gold Member
As my father always say "better saying you might be late and arrive early, than the other way around."
Sounds better in french i guess:messenger_grinning_sweat:

Flabagast

Lmao, wtf are they delaying a 3 hour game for so many times? Holy shit, Frictional really fell down hard huh? Game doesnt even look good at all.
It's a last minute certification problem apparently. I am more annoyed by the fact that there is no PS5 native version.

Last edited:
Top Bottom