• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent |OT|

Can I use a trainer/cheat on the steam version?? Just want some infinite lamp oil or something like that....too scary for me on the legit mode :/

So I kinda have to play the game with a controller, but I saw some posts around the internet where people state that the game is impossible to play with a controller, because of the door opening mechanic?

Thrakier

So I kinda have to play the game with a controller, but I saw some posts around the internet where people state that the game is impossible to play with a controller, because of the door opening mechanic?

I don't know, just try it. Or just find a way to play it with a mouse. It's that good.

Sorry to bump but does anyone have a link to those playthroughs where it's a really scared Japanese/foreign guy playing and freaking out the whole time?

balddemon

Banned
I do not.

I've also not beaten this game yet, and I've had it for at least a couple years. Got to the place where the ceiling crumbles, then put it down and didn't pick it up again for a while. couldn't jump back in because I had no idea where to go. I think I'll start a new game when I have some beer and a free Saturday night...

LogicStep

Can someone give me some tips on how to play the game? I tried it a while ago but I didn't really know what to look for besides just walking around.

I just got some sick headphones so I'm about to start playing the game again from the start and get terrified.

Anyone else have trouble running this on a Mac/boot camp? It locks up on me during start up every time, I've tried messing around with the settings before hand every which way with no luck.

I decided to go through some of my Steam backlog, and Amnesia caught my eye.

Any advice for a first timer?
I think I'm 75% of the way through the game and maybe I'm an idiot but I only recently realized you have to manually refill your lamp with the oil you pick up. I thought it was automatic so I've been crawling through the dark for minutes at a time, when in reality I had more than enough oil to light my way.

Seanspeed

Banned
I just got through
the water level
and I had to stop. Oh my freakin lord, I don't think I've ever been that tense playing a game before. I literally shrieked out loud a couple times.

I'm not super impressed with the game overall, but that part was undeniably horrifying.

Yeah I think that's pretty much the stand out moment of the whole game for me. There was some other good stuff here and there but that was totally wild and something I'd never really seen or thought of before.

I finished the game last night. Overall I really liked the atmosphere but the puzzles were not really my cup of tea. In a way it was very old school adventure gamey, go here and do this, go here and get this, combine these things in your inventory etc. I hate to say I had to resort to a FAQ a couple times which I really don't like doing. Also the story didn't really do anything for me but (near end game spoiler->)
the parts where you realize your character had tortured all these people was pretty fucked up (in an interesting way)

Seanspeed

Banned
Yeah I think that's pretty much the stand out moment of the whole game for me. There was some other good stuff here and there but that was totally wild and something I'd never really seen or thought of before.

I finished the game last night. Overall I really liked the atmosphere but the puzzles were not really my cup of tea. In a way it was very old school adventure gamey, go here and do this, go here and get this, combine these things in your inventory etc. I hate to say I had to resort to a FAQ a couple times which I really don't like doing. Also the story didn't really do anything for me but (near end game spoiler->)
the parts where you realize your character had tortured all these people was pretty fucked up (in an interesting way)

The puzzles are definitely throwaway in terms of challenge and seem entirely designed to get you to explore everything more than anything.

I just experienced my first real 'chase' with a visible monster and I nearly had a heart attack. I'm trying to be nice and quiet upstairs playing as its late but I involuntarily let out a gasping "oh my god" when I ran into a dead end and turned around to find the bastard right on my ass. That was some genuine panic.

Top Bottom