• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ampere coming in hot.....

thelastword

Banned
The memory is, even if you ask the board partners, the real problem child, which is to place current air coolers before such problems. One reports of up to 98 ° in the hottest module. At least here AMD can sleep a bit quieter because of the wider memory interface, without having to tinker with the GDDR6 on steriods (in the form of the GDDR6X).

"I had already reported in another article that you have to expect up to 150 USD for the cooler of the Founders Edition, which is quite exclusive. Well, I was apparently a little bit wrong there, because it is supposedly even 155 USD. If you multiply the prices for such a Vapor Chamber (VC), you end up at about 50 to 70 USD pure manufacturing costs for the unusual shaped design, which however do not include everything. Because a large-scale production at manufacturers like Auras starts at about 1 million Piece and everything underneath. costs once again an extra charge in addition to the margin, which the manufacturer allows himself anyway, in order to make a profit.

However, board partners cannot afford such exclusive games. NVIDIA’s so-called “over hand feature”, i.e. the very short boards with a protruding cooler, generate a very high heat flux density on a rather small area, especially with double-sided memory assembly. This is gonna be hot, really hot. With dual-slot designs, however, this won’t be possible without VC, because the up to 350 watts really have to be transported away quickly.

To sum it up: There are no final performance data yet, Nvidia keeps the ball extremely flat for fear of leaks and the AICs even on the shortest dog leash I have ever seen at a launch. If you add the time in production, a launch of the custom models can probably not be expected until the second half of September. If everyone will really hurry up then. Only, we already had this list too, but this time the whole thing with a background. It is still allowed to do handicrafts. Something."

https://www.igorslab.de/en/nvidia-a...elf-the-board-partners-are-still-in-the-dark/

------------------------------------------
They have memory chips on both sides of the board, hence the peculiar cooling design from the leaks.....So early analysis suggests that Ampere is going to cost alot to dissipate this heat properly. NV won't sell it cheap if they cough the cash, so you may have many issues with cheap coolers from AIB's or they will charge an arm and a leg to keep this heat in check....

LordOfChaos

No wonder it's fucking huge

NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-3090-Ampere-Flagship-Gaming-Graphics-Card_1.jpg

wtf

welp, new case it is

I know I’ll fit one in my Corsair Crystal 570x but I know I’m not fitting it in the new meshify C or the Corsair Air 540. I’m really hoping the partner boards can get it to a normal size.

Ellery

Now I'm really curious to know how Big Navi performs in comparison (temps and stuff).

Yup it is going to be a fantastic year for hardware (Ampere, Big Navi, PS5, XSX), but it looks like Nvidia really means it with Ampere and I think that makes it incredibly hard for AMD.

I really want AMD to have a great card based on NAVi2 (also for the sake of the consoles), but damn I think we are in for a hammering.

Ellery

I'll be surprised if Big Navi is honestly best compared to Ampere and not just competitive with Turing.

I think the RTX 2080 Ti won't be a problem. The 5700 XT isn't bad and a super small chip. There is a lot of room for AMD and anything short of +15% over the 2080 Ti would be a gigantic letdown 2 years after the 2080 Ti came out.
On top of that we have the architectural improvement going from Navi to Navi2.

But I fear that it might slot in right under the RTX 3080 making things awkward for AMD when they need to price their biggest chips competitively with the RTX 3080 and not the RTX 3090 which can easily reign supreme in the Ultra Enthusiast 1400$ bracket.

So like RTX 2080 Ti 100% performance
AMD Big Navi 120%~
RTX 3080 130%
RTX 3090 150%

jigglet

Banned
Dammit. I don’t do overclocking and have always enjoyed not having to spend money on fancy cooling systems. I hope I can keep it that way.

Errmmm goodbye to anyone who side mounts radiators for liquid cooling.....also wanna hope the power connectors are in a better spot as I’m guessing this things gonna take 3x6pin connectors so your gonna be up for a new psu as well a new case

I’m sorta glad I got my 2080ti now as that’s probably gonna do me for 6 years

I'm going to be priced out of the enthusiast market. I was already priced out of the high-end market with the 2080 Ti, and at this rate I won't be able to justify a 3080 for the next round of cards. Progress is expensive.

Edit: Save me AMD.

Last edited:

Siri

Banned
Errmmm goodbye to anyone who side mounts radiators for liquid cooling.....also wanna hope the power connectors are in a better spot as I’m guessing this things gonna take 3x6pin connectors so your gonna be up for a new psu as well a new case

I’m sorta glad I got my 2080ti now as that’s probably gonna do me for 6 years

Someone in another thread said the 3080 TI will need 3 8-pin connectors. This is insane.

YCoCg

Nvidia fanboys 2015-2019: LMAO, enjoying your air heater AMD users? At least it'll keep you warm in the winter!

Nvidia fanboys after 3000 series: You see it's actually genius that Nvidia have also gave me a free mini AC unit for my GPU and this way the more I buy, the more it cools.

Great Hair

Banned
Had nvidia shown their cards by now, AMD would have talked about RDNA2 or RDNA3.0 already and Sony would have done the same.

Thus no Sony PS5, AMD GPU talk until Ampere has been officially announced. See you mid September for a tear down, final event at TGS? 2020. Or PGW (Paris Games Week) in October. nope, no PGW as it got canceled.

September, TGS 23th to 27th or during gamescom ... unlikely though.

Type_Raver

Unless RDNA 2 (Navi2x) can match rasterization performance and be somewhat close enough Ray tracing performance, ill be getting a 3080.
Just don't like the idea of the power/heat this thing will draw and generate. (Not a deal breaker though).

Calverz

Pretty sure i have the biggest case size going so think il be ok space size for this card. Cooling is a huge concern though....

ZywyPL

Banned
Rumored prices:

3060 -399$
3070 - 599$
3080 - 799$
3090 - 1399$

The gap between 3080 and 3090 is to big IMO, if the prices are indeed true I think NV will eventually fill the gap with with 3080Ti/Super.

longdi

Banned
Rumored prices:

3060 -399$
3070 - 599$
3080 - 799$
3090 - 1399$

The gap between 3080 and 3090 is to big IMO, if the prices are indeed true I think NV will eventually fill the gap with with 3080Ti/Super.

Will wait for the TI/Super with 20GB vram in another 6 months.

I mean, what games now needs a 3080?

Rikkori

Time to watercool it, but then that's like $300 extra at the minimum last I checked.

Fans:
- Thermalright TY-143 SQ = $14.68 x 3 = $44.04
Radiator:
- BARROW 34mm Thickness Copper 360mm Radiator = $47.19
Pump&Res:
- Barrow D5 Pump Box Kit Pump PWM 18W + Reservoir POM SPG40A-S = $66
GPU block:
- Bykski N-RTX2080Ti-X FR-N-RTX2080Ti-X Water Block (with Backplate) = $112
Tubing:
- ID Barrow Hose = $2.51 x 3 = $7.53
Fittings:
- BARROW Fitting THKN-3/8-B03 = $2.64 x 6 = $15.84
Liquid:
- Koolance 702 Liquid Coolant, High-Performance, Colorless, 700ml = $14.99
Plug:
- EK-ATX Bridging Plug (24 pin) = $3.04
Splitter:
- EK-Cable Y-Splitter 3-Fan PWM (10cm) = $4.86

Total: $315.49

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Really glad I decided to cap off my old rig with a 2060 Super early this year

Time to get a new case and start fresh for the 3000 series!

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I think the RTX 2080 Ti won't be a problem. The 5700 XT isn't bad and a super small chip. There is a lot of room for AMD and anything short of +15% over the 2080 Ti would be a gigantic letdown 2 years after the 2080 Ti came out.
On top of that we have the architectural improvement going from Navi to Navi2.

But I fear that it might slot in right under the RTX 3080 making things awkward for AMD when they need to price their biggest chips competitively with the RTX 3080 and not the RTX 3090 which can easily reign supreme in the Ultra Enthusiast 1400$ bracket.

So like RTX 2080 Ti 100% performance
AMD Big Navi 120%~
RTX 3080 130%
RTX 3090 150%

Yooo.

You have way way too much faith in Big Navi; 20 percent performance gain over the 2080TI.?
Nada, my prediction it only just beats the 2080ti and doesnt even get within spitting distance of the RTX 3080.

AMD best chip will be fighting with the RTX 3070, hopefully they price it right so the 3070 drops in price.

GymWolf

Can some expert explain to me in leyman words why series 3000 is so big and hot and power hungry?

Isn't the power jump the usual 30% of every new gpu series? Is it caused by the new improved rtx?

Last edited:
Top Bottom