• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amplitude = $17.99 @ overstock.com

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
it is a damn shame this game had that horrible multiplayer score nulling bug. It was a really good game to play multi that is basically now ruined online :(

Vlad

I picked up Amplitude a while back, and while there are some aspects of it I loved, I think I prefer Frequency overall. While there are several songs in Amplitude that I like, there's far more that I find irritating compared to the Frequency soundtrack (where there were maybe two songs that I just can't stand to play).

And while I like how the score doubler power up can be handy in giving your score a boost, I don't really care for the way scoring is handled with the freestyler. It just gives WAY too many points, making getting a high score on songs more of a matter of lucking out with the powerups instead of trying to do better on the song itself.

The thing that bothers me most has to be the general playfield changes. I absolutely hate the flat layout from a gameplay standpoint. Sure, it doesn't feel so closed in, but it makes the game unnecessarily hard at times. In Frequency, if you had to jump over three tracks in a hurry, you could see what notes you'd have to play by looking ahead on that track, which would be somewhere above you, but still clearly visible. In Amplitude, the track you need is off the side of the screen, requiring you to pretty much memorize the song in order to continue your streak. Not only that, but the stupid arrows that tell you where you have to go to continue your streak block your view of the notes until you're about to start playing, resulting in even more irrritation.

Vlad said:
I picked up Amplitude a while back, and while there are some aspects of it I loved, I think I prefer Frequency overall. While there are several songs in Amplitude that I like, there's far more that I find irritating compared to the Frequency soundtrack (where there were maybe two songs that I just can't stand to play).

And while I like how the score doubler power up can be handy in giving your score a boost, I don't really care for the way scoring is handled with the freestyler. It just gives WAY too many points, making getting a high score on songs more of a matter of lucking out with the powerups instead of trying to do better on the song itself.

The thing that bothers me most has to be the general playfield changes. I absolutely hate the flat layout from a gameplay standpoint. Sure, it doesn't feel so closed in, but it makes the game unnecessarily hard at times. In Frequency, if you had to jump over three tracks in a hurry, you could see what notes you'd have to play by looking ahead on that track, which would be somewhere above you, but still clearly visible. In Amplitude, the track you need is off the side of the screen, requiring you to pretty much memorize the song in order to continue your streak. Not only that, but the stupid arrows that tell you where you have to go to continue your streak block your view of the notes until you're about to start playing, resulting in even more irrritation.

I have the opposite feelings. Amplitude's soundtrack is FAR superior. Great mix of songs, where as Frequency is mostly bad techno, especially near the end.

Frequency's high scores were every bit as dependent (if not more so) on powerup position as Amplitude.

Vlad

Mister Zimbu said:
I have the opposite feelings. Amplitude's soundtrack is FAR superior. Great mix of songs, where as Frequency is mostly bad techno, especially near the end.

Well, it's really more of a matter of opinion. While there are a few songs in Amplitude that I really like, there's just far more that just grate on my nerves (Slipknot, Mekon, among others).

Frequency's high scores were every bit as dependent (if not more so) on powerup position as Amplitude.

I've gotta disagree there. In Frequency, the only powerup that could boost your score was the multiplier, which only added two to your current multiplier for a maximum of x6. While this was a bit of a boost, Amplitude's Freestyler and Score Doubler give a much higher proportional number of points.

The Freestyler gives you 20 points per measure, absolutely for free, for a good stretch of time. If you've got a x8 multiplier at the time, that's 160 points per measure, and none of the songs that I've seen so far, even on insane (I still haven't seen about two of them) offer that many points. The Score Doubler isn't quite as bad, but it still gives a much higher point boost than the Multiplier ever did, especially if you've got a high multiplier when you use it.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Vlad said:
I've gotta disagree there. In Frequency, the only powerup that could boost your score was the multiplier, which only added two to your current multiplier for a maximum of x6. While this was a bit of a boost, Amplitude's Freestyler and Score Doubler give a much higher proportional number of points.

Zimbu intended to four-bar every song in Amplitude. Trust me, finding the right path to the perfect high score was not that simple.
Now I've got Pink stuck in my fucking head again, goddamnit.

Edit: It feels like a gun!

Top Bottom