• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

An ACTUAL attack on Free Speech is currently underway by the US Government

SaviourMK2

Jan 14, 2015
Connecticut
If the 2nd amendment is so sacred that the CDC isnt allowed to study gun violence/data then some stupid Baby Boomer bitches can't stop me from exercising my 1st amendment rights

Jun 26, 2018
Milwaukee, WI
If the 2nd amendment is so sacred that the CDC isnt allowed to study gun violence/data then some stupid Baby Boomer bitches can't stop me from exercising my 1st amendment rights

This isn't about your personal spending. This is about local government not being able to boycott Israel with tax dollars. Who is our Democratic ally. It makes sense to protect them from a movement born out of antisemitism and perpetuated by hatred.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
May 4, 2005
Germany
www.gaming-universe.de
I feel this is a severe overstep from government side. Privately held businesses are free to decide whom to make business with and to tolerate or not to tolerate certain political moves. If a company decides that Israel's violations of human rights are such a big moral issue for them that they cannot in good consciousness make business with Israeli companies, it is none of the government's business. Therefore I agree that this is a breach of free speech rights.

And no, the government does not boycott Israel by doing business with a company that chooses to boycott Israel. If they choose their business partners independent of that matter, then the US does not support the boycott, they just work indifferent to it.

weltalldx

Feb 25, 2017
I feel this is a severe overstep from government side. Privately held businesses are free to decide whom to make business with and to tolerate or not to tolerate certain political moves. If a company decides that Israel's violations of human rights are such a big moral issue for them that they cannot in good consciousness make business with Israeli companies, it is none of the government's business. Therefore I agree that this is a breach of free speech rights.

And no, the government does not boycott Israel by doing business with a company that chooses to boycott Israel. If they choose their business partners independent of that matter, then the US does not support the boycott, they just work indifferent to it.

You forgot the part about federal funding. These companies/individuals are receiving money from the federal government yet refuses to be politically neutral. Surely you see a problem with this?

Boss Mog

Dec 12, 2013
As I've said in other threads on this topic, I see positives and negatives and I don't really know how to feel about it.

One thing I do know though is that if this same bill was about preventing companies from discriminating against doing business with gays or whatever other group the OP loves to champion, he would be behind it 100%, the fact that the bill is about not discriminating against jews is what pisses him off because like all extreme-leftists we pretty much know how he feels about them.

SaviourMK2

Jan 14, 2015
Connecticut
This isn't about your personal spending. This is about local government not being able to boycott Israel with tax dollars. Who is our Democratic ally. It makes sense to protect them from a movement born out of antisemitism and perpetuated by hatred.

I don't give a shit if Israel is a political ally or not, I have problems with the Israeli government but not enough to scream "Jews will not replace us". My problem is the federal government is flirting with the idea of restricting freedom of speech, because if they're allowed to ship at it once, what's to stop them from doing it again? A supreme court that thinks corporations are a person? a mentally disabled president? a freshman congressman?

Joe T.

Oct 3, 2004
Montreal, Quebec

This is off-topic, but it should be pointed out that the CDC is no longer restricted from studying gun violence. "Mark Rosenberg oversaw gun violence research at the CDC until the Dickey amendment stopped that work. Now, with new language in the legislation Trump signed, he explains how that work can begin again." -NPR

Funding for those studies is a whole other matter.