• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

An Exploration of Classic Game Magazines: Official Playstation Magazine (US)

Considering that gaming now is mostly now confined to the internet, with places like GAF, Twitter, and various enthusiasts hotspots on Reddit and the like bring us the reviews, info, and stories on gaming we crave, it's interesting to look back at the past, where magazines and internet sites shared the news bringing duties.

I myself have been extremely interested in collecting old gaming magazines for a while now, especially of the magazines that made up my youth, growing up in the early 2000's. As a result, I remember a lot more of the Electronic Gaming Monthly's, Gamepro's, and other magazines that were present in this era then maybe other older Gaffers, who may have read magazines when they were the defacto source for gaming news, reviews, and other things.

Today, I am going to be running through one of the magazines I remember the most from this era: Official US Playstation Magazine.

First off, a quick primer on OPM US, courtesy of Wikipedia:

Official U.S. PlayStation Magazine (often abbreviated to OPM) is a now-defunct monthly video game magazine, published by Ziff Davis Media. It was a sister publication of Electronic Gaming Monthly. The magazine focused exclusively on PlayStation hardware, software, and culture, covering the original PlayStation, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Portable. Perhaps the most famous aspect of the magazine was the inclusion each month of a disc that contained playable demos and videos of PlayStation games. The magazine was produced for nearly ten years, from October 1997 to the final issue in January 2007.

Ziff Davis, for those who might be wondering, were the owners of various hobbyist publications and sites, and currently own IGN, and were the recent owners of the deceased Gametrailers site. They were also the owners of the long lauded 1UP.com, for those who remember those days. Also apparently owned Car & Driver as well, didn't know that.

(As a sidenote, I apologize for any horizontal images present within this thread. It was the best way to show off the magazine.)

My4j9nl.jpg

This is the earliest issue I have still in my possession, August 2004. As you can obviously see, Madden 2005 is the main draw for this issue, though it also shares a review with it's sister title, NCAA Football 2005. One of the things that is most notable about US OPM right off the bat is the generally minimalist covers. In this general era of OPM from about 2004 to 2006 is the lack of blurbs and clutter that was present on a bunch of other gaming magazines of the time period. And I really do appreciate that, as it allows the magazine to really pop out if you were seeing it in a news stand back in 2004 or what have you. In fact, it is quite reminiscent of what Game Informer currently is doing with regards to using key concept art or big, wide open cover shots.

An ad for the second billing title for the month, NCAA Football 2005.

Contents page. Again, that minimalist design style that was present with the cover is here as well.

Core staff of OPM in this era. Some might be familiar (I believe Giancarlo Varinini was present at Gamespot back in the early 2000's) and I believe they kept the majority of this staff up to the last issue they produced in 2007, with the only real change being John Davison being ousted as editor-in-chief to Tom Byron.

Hype section. Basically a round up of interviews, gaming news, and what have you. As it might be seen, this Hype's main focus, in the first few pages at least, is focused on E3 2004.

Rundown of one of the MGS 3 trailers released around this time. Featuring time stamps, witty commentary, and guesses on the game's story.

Ad I thought was hilarious. Even in 2004, Mountain Dew was seemingly pandering to the 'l33t gamer' crowd, that, or Green Lantern cosplayers.

Big write up on the sort of 'urbanization' of gaming that was taking place in the early 2000's. Featured blurbs on such games as GTA San Andreas, Marc Ecko's Getting Up: Contents Under Pressure (It should be noted that Marc Ecko serves as one of the main voices of the piece) and Midnight Club 3: DUB Edition.

Look ahead to the original PSP with interviews on various industry figureheads who had projects in the pipe, including Yuji Naka for Sonic and Puyo Pop. It should be mentioned that this is yet another supposed showing of the fabled Gran Turismo PSP game, which, as we all know, spent an eternity and a day in development hell, and came out years after the PSP was semi-viable.

Starting page for the Madden 2005 review, which truly is a blowout. Disregarding the creepy photo of Ray Lewis (Insert your best 'Ray Lewis killed a man' quips) once again, there is a sort of minimalist design philosophy present all throughout the magazine. This blowout of Madden also includes an interview with both Lewis and John Madden himself, a bunch of fun extra stuff (including the developers commenting on the legendary greatness that is Michael Vick and the Falcons in Madden 2004), and then the actual review. (Madden 2005 is August's Game of the Month, by the way)

Again, similar blowout for the review of NCAA 2005. Included is a lot of focus on Larry Fitzgerald (Who was the cover athlete) alongside an accompanying interview with the cover boy.

The reason why most people remember OPM: the demo discs. This month, the big focus for demos is a slice of the underrated (and scary as fuck, mind you) Japanese horror game Siren. Also included is NBA Ballers, Midway's NBA Street challenger from this era.

Movie reviews. This part of the magazine was handled by John Scalzi, science fiction author and all around great writer. If you want his Twitter, it's here. Most of the time, the reviews will focus on the big movies being released on DVD that month, of course, the big one for August being the first Hellboy.

Finally, after a section that mostly deals with lists and hints for various games (For August, includes tips on being better at Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow's Spies vs. Mercenaries online mode, and Front Mission 4) this is the final page. Basically, a rewind to the month earlier in it's history, which, in this case, is August 1999. Basically runs down the cover story, the review highlight and lowlights, who topped the sales chart for the month (Which for August, was Ridge Racer Type 4) and then a caption contest.

Finally, the back ad for the magazine, which is Onimusha 3.

-----------------------------------------

So, that's about all that I have. I didn't want to clutter the thread with a bunch of quote wrapped images (Considering this is up to 15 already!) So I ask you GAF, do you remember the 2004 era OPM?

noquarter

Wow, brought up Ziff Davis' others mags and didn't mention EGM...

Still have a collection of game mags from the 90s and early 00s. OPM was one of my favorites, but mainly for the demo discs. Did read every issue I got though, all the way through, multiple times. Might break some out to add to the thread.

Francesca Reyes worked on OPM at one point, right? Or did she work on PSM? I know she worked on ODM and OXM. Anyway, my point is that Francesca Reyes is the best. Sadly, she's seemingly disappeared since the closure of the US division of OXM which bums me out as someone who has followed her writing since GamePlayers.

Francesca Reyes worked on OPM at one point, right? Or did she work on PSM? I know she worked on ODM and OXM. Anyway, my point is that Francesca Reyes is the best. Sadly, she's seemingly disappeared since the closure of the US division of OXM which bums me out as someone who has followed her writing since GamePlayers.

I guess she did in a more mercenary role, because from what I see in Wikipedia, her name isn't mentioned in the former members list.

maxcriden

Great write-up, thank you! I enjoyed this mag a great deal, as well as the epic demo discs that could provide many hours of entertainment on their own. My favorite section of the actual mag was "Couples Who Play Together, Stay Together," as a young teen I would read that and secretly dream of one day finding a significant other who shared my interest in gaming to at least a small degree, just so we could potentially play together a bit and share some good times doing so. It wasn't that I was seeking a gamer necessarily or by any means exclusively, simply that it was an enticingly charming dynamic to picture.

Anyway, I am happy to report I got my wish and then some. My wife, whom I've been with for 10.5 years now, is a huge fan of games and one of the main things we do is play video games together, we have essentially identical taste in games and now have many cherished memories playing them together. I believe the first game we played together was Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door and currently we are playing BOTW. As a teen and young adult she primarily played Lion King on Genesis and Rayman on PSX, so she was definitely better trained for difficult platformers than I was. Since getting together she has played every handheld Zelda, and we've played some 3D ones together, so she will gladly (albeit not necessarily true anymore, haha) say she has played more Zelda games than I have. So, suffice it to say, I consider myself very lucky that we are so compatible in not just our values, but also our interests, because it is a true delight to share them with one another.

If anybody is interested, I could post another OPM magazine, though it would be more general comments about the games and articles present within.

Wollan

I subscribed to the UK edition for some years (~96-2000). As a teen it was hype every time that package was found in the mailbox. Lots of demos, thick magazine with heaps of articles. Net Yaroze homebrew games etc.

Top Bottom