• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

An extensive look at the first year of the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One - Your opinion?

Sales might be great, but nothing on either platform to shout home over. I don't either console and until Bloodborne hits i don't see anything worth buying one for.

Own both. Enjoy both. I just wish I had the time to play all the games I impulsively bought.

General impressions. I suppose if you are going for a multi-plat gaming box or you're waiting till Bloodborne comes out grab a PS4. It feels like the PS4 interface is a bit more snappy than the XBone's. PS4 has had better indie support and better games with PS+ for me to this point. Plus it has War Thunder. As an individual without a gaming PC I cannot state to any significance. The console has a good flight simulator. FOR FREE.

Long story short. I enjoy my Xbone after I figured out the UI. The PS4 for me was a bit less intuitive, and a bit more snappy. Never had a PS3 myself, but it seems if you've had one, the system is pretty similar.

All I know is that it wasn't overly difficult for me to figure out as a first time PlayStation owner.

GrayDock

PS4 day 1 owner here and, overall, for a first a year isn't that bad, but I still miss DeepDown...
2015 will be awesome though.

Skele7on

Banned
Halo MCC having such high scores is a travesty.

Talk about a straight up gamergate example of why journalists are in a corner.

GHG

Didn't most reviews go live before matchmaking went live?

Which is a problem in itself.

For games with separate multiplayer and single player components they should be giving 2 scores. One for each.

That way as a consumer you can make an informed decision based on which component of the game you are most likely to be interested in. Instead we see single player focused games get their overall score dragged down for lacking multiplayer content. That's not how it should work.

STEaMkb

Ports and remasters are welcome providing they are entertaining. I had a blast with Dead Nation and The Unfinished Swan on PS4.

Now looking forward to Alienation in 2015.

PS4 owner, but admittedly mainly a PC gamer. I'm happy enough, Destiny has kept me entertained and it's only now that I've stopped playing every day. Pure Pool is keeping me entertained, which is a bit sad as better Pool games can be found on any other platform. I will get an Xbox One when the deals here in Australia get sweeter, at the moment it's just not worth the money for the few exclusives and poorer multi-plats.

Overall for me, it's not the games on any particular system that I have a problwm with it's gaming in general. I played Black Flag and got bored after an hour, the new Alien game the same, Hearthstone I go on to get to level 19 to get the new card back and then ignore it for a month, new WoW I played a few hours and just couldn't be arsed anymore. I just feel gaming in general is stuck in a rut. If I'm honest the best platform outside of PC is the Wii U.

But I probably need a break from gaming to be honest.

jacobeid

Banned
I own both but I really could have waited on a PS4 until Bloodborne, but I bought into the hype.

I'm still playing most multiplats on PC, so it's all about exclusives. Sunset, Forza, and MCC all got purchases and playtime from me so my Xbox purchase feels justified.

All that being said, I could have managed just fine with the PC+Wii U combo because the latter is my most played system this year by far.

Had the PS4 since launch, and very disappointed with its first year. I didn't buy a game for it till Shadow of Mordor came out. I did get some free games through PS+ but was disappointed/didn't care for all of them until Velocity 2x. I REALLY thought more of the titles shown during the PS4's announcement event would have been out by now.

Bumhead

Banned
B+

As launch years go I think it's been pretty good. I think it's interesting how few of the really big hyped games have hit the spot this year. If you'd told me in January that my end of year top 5 would likely include Wolfenstein, Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare and Alien Isolation I wouldn't have believed you, but it's definitely a very pleasent surprise that they are. I enjoyed roughly 70 hours of Destiny before the grind beat me down so I can't be too dismissive of that either.

I think both systems still lack a truly must have system seller but I think you'll have generally had a good year with these systems whichever one you bought.

Bgamer90

Banned
Don't have a PS4 yet. Have an Xbox One and the first year has been pretty solid. Fora Horizon 2, Sunset Overdrive, Titanfall, Killer Instinct, D4, and a few more games on top of the multiplats. Halo MCC's matchmaking issues are very disappointing but I will still say that the first year of games on the Xbox One has been pretty solid. Just a lot of variety in the big(ger) titles.

That combined with the media integration of the Xbox One which makes jumping from games, TV, and apps instant and easy makes the system feel very new to me even to this day since I've never used a game console in that fashion before. The good games + instant switching features for media as well as games is a big reason why I keep my Xbox One on for at least five hours per day.

BriGuy

Compare these first-year offerings to something like the N64 and marvel at how far gaming has come. Technical hiccups aside, these consoles have had one of the strongest launch years ever.

Compare these first-year offerings to something like the N64 and marvel at how far gaming has come.

Hexen
Super Mario 64
Pilotwings 64
Wayne Gretzky's 3D Hockey
Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire
FIFA Soccer 64
Turok: Dinosaur Hunter
Mortal Kombat Trilogy
Wave Race 64
International Superstar Soccer 64
Mario Kart 64
Killer Instinct Gold
Dark Rift
GoldenEye 007
NBA Hangtime
Blast Corps
Mission: Impossible
F1 Pole Position 64
MRC: Multi-Racing Championship
Star Fox 64
Clayfighter 63 1/3
Bomberman 64
Top Gear Rally
Duke Nukem 64
Diddy Kong Racing
War Gods
Mischief Makers
Automobili Lamborghini
Mace: The Dark Age
NFL Quarterback Club 98
San Francisco Rush: Extreme Racing
Doom 64
Chameleon Twist
Extreme-G
FIFA: Road to World Cup 98
NBA In The Zone '98
Bust-A-Move 2 Arcade Edition
Quest 64
GT 64: Championship Edition
Turok 2: Seeds of Evil
Knife Edge: Nose Gunner
Nagano Winter Olympics '98
Tetrisphere
WCW vs. NWO: World Tour
Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero
NHL Breakaway 98

Sorry, I can't agree.
And that's a console with shitty third party support and was known for its software droughts.

Both have promise and potential with a great library of games coming up and I am so far still undecided as to which one I want first (because I'm likely to get both anyway). I'm likely making my decision before Black Friday, but unfortunately the Playstation Experience and The Game Awards are after that. Damn difficult decision for me.

Banned
First year goes to Xbox One for me. More exclusives, less remakes, less online trouble and the monthly OS updates are fantastic.

*OP asked for opinion, I gave it.

There's been a shit load to play, regardless of whether or not people want to count indie and multiplatform stuff as 'games'. If you own a PS4 and Xbox One there's been tonnes of quality content to mess around with, whether you chose to play them or not.

R3TRODYCE

Good read. I picked up both at launch and they both had good first years imo. The ps4 lacked exclusives that I wanted to play but it has potential so I'm all for it and the Bone became the center of my media hub since I can watch tv, game, stream content, play music all from one device.

Marvel

could never
I feel like my purchase of a Bone was more than justified, I'm so impressed with it. Lots of great games to play and an OS, UI and online service that is slick and stable.

Can't say the same about my PS4 with the lack of first party and general OS, UI and online service problems I'm happy to come back to Sony in a year or two from now when all my desires are fulfilled, but right now? not interested.

OccamsLightsaber

Regularly boosts GAF member count to cry about 'right wing gaf' - Voter #3923781
Hexen
Super Mario 64
Pilotwings 64
Wayne Gretzky's 3D Hockey
Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire
FIFA Soccer 64
Turok: Dinosaur Hunter
Mortal Kombat Trilogy
Wave Race 64
International Superstar Soccer 64
Mario Kart 64
Killer Instinct Gold
Dark Rift
GoldenEye 007
NBA Hangtime
Blast Corps
Mission: Impossible
F1 Pole Position 64
MRC: Multi-Racing Championship
Star Fox 64
Clayfighter 63 1/3
Bomberman 64
Top Gear Rally
Duke Nukem 64
Diddy Kong Racing
War Gods
Mischief Makers
Automobili Lamborghini
Mace: The Dark Age
NFL Quarterback Club 98
San Francisco Rush: Extreme Racing
Doom 64
Chameleon Twist
Extreme-G
FIFA: Road to World Cup 98
NBA In The Zone '98
Bust-A-Move 2 Arcade Edition
Quest 64
GT 64: Championship Edition
Turok 2: Seeds of Evil
Knife Edge: Nose Gunner
Nagano Winter Olympics '98
Tetrisphere
WCW vs. NWO: World Tour
Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero
NHL Breakaway 98

Sorry, I can't agree.
And that's a console with shitty third party support and was known for its software droughts.

What's your point? I can compile a list of PS4 games that's more impressive than that.

quickwhips

This year I got a PS4 and I hadn't owned a Sony Product since PS2. I played DC universe Online for the first 2 months until TLOU Remastered came out. Then I played that Multiplayer until Destiny came out and I've been playing that since. I also beat Resogun, and Outlast with PS+. Its been a pretty good experience. I wish PS4 had more multiplayer titles that grabbed me like Gears of War and Crackdown did on Xbox 360. But Destiny has been filling that itch.

I will be getting Xbox One when Gears Launches. I never thought that I would switch after the 360 was so good but my Brother wanted PS4 this time.

SeanR1221

Great OP. Thinking back over the past year...

PS4 launch - was very easy to get at best buy, even without a pre order. I showed up 30 minutes before they handed out tickets and was like number 70 in line. I picked up Killzone, Battlefield, Assassins Creed and Call of Duty

Killzone - looked really nice but my god was it boring. I only played to the second level. Online was ok but kind of felt like my character was walking through peanutbutter.

Battlefield - broken but fun. I played through and finished the single player without my data resetting (it later did reset after I finished). Online was great when it worked...which was rare.

Ass Creed Black Flag - the surprise standout for me. I wasn't expecting much after III. This was the ultimate to game to play with all the snow we got last year I have great memories sitting in on a cold day sailing around the ocean.

CoD Ghosts - an ok single player expierence. Multiplayer was probably the weakest of the CoD games but since Battlefield didn't work it was pretty much my go to.

Then as time went on I got...

Madden 25 - a very sloppy port. Ran and played poorly
You could tell it was rushed for next gen

Tomb Raider - I never finished it on 360. A lot of fun for a play through. No interest in multiplayer.

Meta Gear - definitely a glorified demo. I played the main mission about 5 times then sold it.

Infamous - a lot of fun for 1 playthrough. I actually played and finished it in one weekend which is rare for me. No drive to go back to it after that. Side missions were very lacking but I enjoyed the main story.

Wolfenstein - I wanted to like it but was just bored. Made it a little over halfway through the story and couldn't keep playing.

Diablo - loved every minute of it. I actually bought it digitally so it's always available to remote play. It's such a huge step up from vanilla Diablo III.

Last of Us - bought it and only played like 5 minutes. I forgot I don't really like re playing games and bought into the hype. I'll replay it some day.

Destiny - this game. My biggest disappointment of 2014. If I had time I'd go dig up the multiple posts I made saying Destiny would be THE game of 2014 and spawn a huge franchise. Destiny can be summed up pretty nicely. It dangles a carrot at the end of the stick but that carrot is rotten.

Shadow of Mordor - almost finished but I got side tracked with other games. It's VERY good and completely took me by surprise. Probably my ps4 GotY.

CoD AW - better online than Ghosts but still doesn't top BO2. Single player has been fun so far. Kevin Spacey is definitely the standout.

Far Cry and GTA - bought them and haven't really touched them that much because of Smash Bros.

So that's my first year. It's been an ok year but I have better memories from other system launches (360 with oblivion and gears...). Here's to 2015.

Sorry for any typos. I typed that on my phone.

Elandyll

Banned
First year reinforced my idea that PS4+PC really is the way to go (maybe adding WiiU if you have the time to spare).

A pretty decent year in terms of number of games released, but overall somewhat mediocre in terms of quality, and new IPs/ new gen only titles. Still can't believe that the best retail games of the year are all remakes.
Thank god for Shadows of Mordor and Dragon Age Inquisition.
And indies.

aravuus

Been a super boring start for both consoles and aside from Binding of Isaac and CoD:AW, my PS4 hasn't seen almost any use in the past 6 months

Nice summary. I don't know if sequels needed to be grouped with remakes, but the summary takes care of any possible confusion.

Basically sums up my disappointment in my PS4 and disinterest in the Xbox, although Xbox looks better to me on paper for the first year: multiplatform games and minimal exclusives mostly receiving middling reviews with remasters of last-gen relatively new games being the most exciting and best quality things releasing.

No thanks.

ibu

I'm a ps4 owner, but the xbone has had the better games in 2014.

Does it worry me? Nope I've had plenty to play and PES is back so I'm good.

I got PS4 and Xbox One with only a couple days apart, early this year. As far as exclusives go the Xbox One has really been impressive. I've had a ton of fun with Forza Motorsport 5, Forza Horizon 2, Titanfall and Sunset Overdrive. As for the PS4 it's mainly been used for multiplats, though I did really enjoy Infamous Second Son! Killzone was very stale.

This year is a win for the Xbox One in my eyes, lets hope things even out for the exclusives next year.

And yes I have really enjoyed TLOU Remastered and Halo Master Chief Collection, but these are re-releases.

FinalD

Nice list, but something that kind of annoys me with these lists - and this happens all over the internet - is the inconsistency when it comes to "exclusives". Titanfall is in the Xbox One list with a remark it's also on PC and Xbox 360. So, not really exclusive, but not on PS4, I can understand that when you compare the two consoles. But at the same time you put Natural Doctrine and MotoGP under multi-platform, while they're not on Xbox One. I don't care whether you put "kind of exclusives" under Xbox One or PS4 or just put them all under multi-platform, just do it consistently.

Also some minor annotations:

MLB 14: The Show
Also on PS3 and Vita

Dead Rising 3
Also on PC

Also missing a lot from this totally not fanboy war feeding website.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I'm happy with my PS4. I grabbed one in February and think it's had a solid first year with Infamous, TLOU, MLB, Diablo 3, Destiny, FIFA, Driveclub, Dragon Age, Mordor, Wolfenstein etc. and download stuff like Transistor, Child of Light and all the PS+ stuff.

What's your point? I can compile a list of PS4 games that's more impressive than that.

I don't think so.
There are a couple of all time classic games in this list that defined their genre, influenced 3D-gameplay and -design for consolegames for years and are still loved today almost 20 years later.

I think this was his point, and it is way more impressive than everything the new generation of consoles generated so far combined.

There is some nice stuff, but there is nothing 'new', nothing 'wow I've never played something like this before'. It just 'looks better'.

But again, maybe I'm getting old ;-)

Cavalier

Banned
Been happy with my Xbox One so far. Sold my PS3 that barely got a use out of a month prior to X1 release. Forza 5, Dead Rising 3 and Titanfall were awesome. Could've gotten Titanfall on PC but just don't want to deal with hackers and keyboard+mouse players while I'm using the controller on my comfy couch. There's really no use for my gaming PC at the moment since X1 pretty much replaced it completely for me.

Third party games have been pretty good and don't seem to have much of a big difference compare to PS4. Forza Horizon 2 plays awesome. I have yet to get Sunset Overdrive. I heard so much about it will get it when I find the time. Still need to get Ryse, Plants vs Zombies, Evil Within, DA Inquisition, etc... Too many games to play not enough time!!!

MS was on point with monthly updates. Halo news has been disappointing but as long as they fix it before Christmas, it'll be good. All in all, X1's first year has been surprisingly good! I'm so glad I didn't listen to gamers whining about MS and jumping on PS4 bandwagon. Because when I bought and tried PS4 myself along with Xbox One, it was very disappointing.

The diversity one year in for PS4 is insane. Big AAA, Indies, mid-tier retail titles, all in between. I can name 15-20 games I'm enjoying and someone else can name 15-20 games and both lists could be completely different.

Reminds me a lot of 360's first year. Everything about it is just polished. Great controller, fast and intuitive UI, diverse and packed full of games early. PS4 has stuff that's innovative that I just don't care about (Share button, shareplay, etc.) Just like the Xbox Live had great stuff I wasn't aware of or cared about. But there is still so much there already that I don't care that I'm missing out.

Everything about it just fits my tastes. 8 years ago my main played games were PES 2006, PGR 3 and Geometry wars. Today my most played games are PES 2013 (soon), DriveClub, and Resogun. Sprinkle in the indies and the mix of big and mid tier titles, Sony is doing a pretty good job.

I have an X1 but didn't open it yet. Since both libraries are quite similar, I would probably have the same sentiment.

TMC

My biggest problem with the PS4 is the OS. The messaging system is terrible. I am getting so frustrated waiting extensive periods of time for a message to send only to have it timeout and fail. This was never a problem on the PS3. One year has passed and we still don't have notifications when friends sign online. Still no suspend/resume. I was also hoping for Sony to release an official BT headset as well by now.

That aside, I have enjoyed most of the games I have purchased for the PS4. The second year looks to be much better.

I don't have an Xbox One just yet, but I hope to own one in the future.

ps3ud0

Im confused why Injustice is under multi-plats when it could be under PS4 if I understand the listing correctly?

ps3ud0 8)

Percy

Banned
There's really no use for my gaming PC at the moment since X1 pretty much replaced it completely for me.

I don't get how anyone could seriously do this. The downtrading on framerate and resolution alone... ugh...

Sorry, just can't relate here at all.

Im confused why Injustice is under multi-plats when it could be under PS4 if I understand the listing correctly?

ps3ud0 8)

Because it's out on everything except Xbox One? Not really any other way you can label it here.

sasliquid

I got a ps4 at launch and I'm happy with it. I've got a gaming quality laptop but I've always preferred the ease of use of consoles so most multiplayer I buy on the ps4.

Sakura

I think it's been a pretty disappointing first year personally.
I was honestly expecting to have picked up a PS4 this year... but there is just nothing. There is no game that is only available on the PS4 or XBO out that appeals to me. Bloodborne will be out soon enough so I will still get one eventually, but still, pretty disappointing. I think I liked the Wii U's first year or so better.

Got an xbox one and a PC around the same time.

I have so much stuff to do. Im loving both.

In the past couple months:

sunset, forza, and halo have been amazing on xbox for me. Spent and spending tons of hours in diablo. Destiny was a major disappointment for me.

Pc gaming is far cry, dragon age, and assassins creed. Ive barely touched the surface of any of them and I'm loving it.

Destiny and Sunset Overdrive are some of the best games I've ever played and Forza Horizon 2 is pure PGR heaven, so Xbox One has been like 360 Launch Year times a zillion. Throw in GTA V and, baby, you got a stew goin'.

Easily the most satisfying console experience I've ever had.

Tsiawd

Banned
Only thing that could make the year better would be having the old drm put on the x1. I want to share games, never use a disc, and give or trade my digital games. Plz give us an option for that!

Top Bottom