• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

An in depth explanation on what ray tracing really is and how it evolved.

JordanN

Banned
I always see people talk about how ray tracing has been used, and sometimes it's mixed with truths and myths.

But the cool folks of Pixar have made a documentation of how ray tracing has evolved throughout the cinematic timeline.

For example, the first Toy Story wasn't ray traced. It was based on the REYES algorithm. But they did begin to use ray tracing in a few scenes for A Bugs Life.

Pvks1Uo.png

VQFgMe5.png

These are obviously just snips. Both PDF's contain more in depth information.

Mister Wolf

Although many point to Control because it has the largest suite of raytraced effects I still admire Metro Exodus the most. The choice of using raytraced GI for its Day/Night cycle plus weather as well as later adding raytraced emissive lighting so that every single light source in the game behaves as light does in real life will never not be impressive to me.

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned
I always see people talk about how ray tracing has been used, and sometimes it's mixed with truths and myths.

But the cool folks of Pixar have made a documentation of how ray tracing has evolved throughout the cinematic timeline.

For example, the first Toy Story wasn't ray traced. It was based on the REYES algorithm. But they did begin to use ray tracing in a few scenes for A Bugs Life.

Pvks1Uo.png

VQFgMe5.png

These are obviously just snips. Both PDF's contain more in depth information.

Really cool and interesting article

Top Bottom