• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

An UK magazine reveals future interesting details for PSP

UK PSP MAGAZINE reveals VERY INTERESTING details:

- PSP eye toy: will be out this september in Europe (US: tba)

- GPS: will be out this october along with a new Everybody's Golf (it will be compatible). The GPS will determine your localization and could download exclusive content depending the area where you are. Kutaragi also says that there are (now) some psp titles that are compatible with this future periferic (...how misterious...)

- A new firmware the same day PS3 launches: video-conferency, ps3 compatibility, video streaming (possibility of download these videos on your memory stick)

- PSone emulutar also out in October: first games will be TOMB RAIDER, Castlevania SON (¡¡¡¡!!!!), FINAL FANTASY 7 and 8, SILENT HILL. Along 2007, near 7.000 psone titles will be available for the PSP.

Robinspain said:
- PSone emulutar also out in October: first games will be TOMB RAIDER, Castlevania SOF (¡¡¡¡!!!!), FINAL FANTASY 7 and 8, SILENT HILL. Along 2007, near 7.000 psone titles will be available for the PSP.

o_O

Fantastic choice of games.

quetz67

Banned
Robinspain said:

- PSP eye toy: will be out this september in Europe (US: tba)

- GPS: will be out this october along with a new Everybody's Golf (it will be compatible). The GPS will determine your localization and could download exclusive content depending the area where you are. Kutaragi also says that there are (now) some psp titles that are compatible with this future periferic (...how misterious...)

- A new firmware the same day PS3 launches: video-conferency, ps3 compatibility, video streaming (possibility of download these videos on your memory stick)

- PSone emulutar also out in October: first games will be TOMB RAIDER, Castlevania SOF (¡¡¡¡!!!!), FINAL FANTASY 7 and 8, SILENT HILL. Along 2007, near 7.000 psone titles will be available for the PSP.
All nice, but I wait for a redesign with HDD or build in flash drive, TV-Out and a movie service like iTunes.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Robinspain said:

SOF?

Is that SotN?

That is a FANTASTIC launch lineup for PS emulator, but I doubt the believability. No Ridge Racer?

Dimmuxx

The Amiga Brotherhood
Robinspain said:

Fake? No riiiiiiiidge raceeer? :lol

Great games though.

Y2Kevbug11 said:
SOF?

Is that SotN?

That is a FANTASTIC launch lineup for PS emulator, but I doubt the believability. No Ridge Racer?

That's probably just a few that'll be there. I'd think Ridge, a Gran Turismo and MGS will be at launch also.

Mmmkay

Neo Child said:
But wont your fingers/hands be used to hold the console?
Yes, they should put a disclaimer that war veterans' gaming experiences may be impaired. Two hands are essential, one to hold the PSP and the other to play with it...

MoxManiac

AdmiralViscen said:
You're gonna need pretty massive MemorySticks to play the FF games.

Well, if they reencoded the FMVs to something like the PSP's video format it might not be so bad.

Neo Child said:
How many discs was FF7? 3/4? Thats 700MB each. 2GB :|

Without FMVs, FF7 could probably fit on one disc. Most, if not all the non-FMV data is duplicated on each disc.

Wollan

I guess games can be bought and stored on the PS3 aswell with you only having a cd on your psp memory stick at a time if you so whish.

Y2Kev

The discs were filled with redundant data. The only difference between the discs, if I remember correctly, was FMV.

They could easily slice it down to a manageable size. 1gb will still be essential.

Chiggs

Robinspain said:
- PSone emulutar also out in October: first games will be TOMB RAIDER, Castlevania SON (¡¡¡¡!!!!), FINAL FANTASY 7 and 8, SILENT HILL. Along 2007, near 7.000 psone titles will be available for the PSP.

Oh shit....

Jim

Neo Child said:
How many discs was FF7? 3/4? Thats 700MB each. 2GB :|

Well, a ton of the actual content on each of the discs is exactly the same (the general world, enemy, audio data, etc). They need to replicate that basic data for each disc as to avoid swapping discs for the silliest things, such as visiting previous areas.

A downloadable file would have only have one copy of that data, which would make it substantially smaller. It's absolutely doable.

(edit: beaten by Y2Kevbug11)

Neo Child

Banned
Random factoid:
Did you know that the smallest ROM image ever created + modified was non other than Riiiiiiiiiiiidge Raaaaaaaaaaacer for PS1, clocking in at just under 10MB (without sound + FMV).

Jim said:
Well, a ton of the actual content on each of the discs is exactly the same (the general world, enemy, audio data, etc). They need to replicate that basic data for each disc as to avoid swapping discs for the silliest things, such as visiting previous areas.

A downloadable file would have only have one copy of that data, which would make it substantially smaller. It's absolutely doable.

Makes sense now really, sounds good.

Eric_S said:
@Neo Child

Including all the C-class ones, over 10 000, IIRC.

My God.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I like the sound of those. Except for the GPS which i cant see myself buying, the eyetoy on the other hand sounds cool if they take use of it well with some decent software.

Jimbob

They're also making a universal translator for PSP aswell apparently. How exciting! Was this announced? Heard it from Mark Froggat (lead programmer at Sony SCEE). He gave a talk not long ago I went to. Talked about PS3 and PSP in quite some detail.

Robinspain said:

OMG, If this is true I'll definitely be getting a PSP.

If that's true then I'm in heaven. With Square on board from the start, the chances for Chrono Cross and the rest of the titles they never released in Europe are really high.

The details do seem a bit fishy. Especially the launch with only so few titles when they're gonna be releasing literally thousands within a year, why can't they launch with at least a dozen titles?

As for the L2/R2, they could fix some of that by allowing the sound-button to be used as a modifier in the emulator. Wouldn't work on all games, sure, but on those that only use it occasionally.

I'm hopeful still.

Borys

Banned
PSone emulutar also out in October: first games will be TOMB RAIDER, Castlevania SON (¡¡¡¡!!!!), FINAL FANTASY 7 and 8, SILENT HILL. Along 2007, near 7.000 psone titles will be available for the PSP.

**** this shit. It sold me a PSP in about 0.0000000001 sec.

Mmmkay

Kroole said:
So 7000 of those 10000 released neither used all shoulder buttons nor dual-analogue?
Games are being emulated, so it's entirely possible that they can move the shoulder button usage to somewhere else. I don't think any game will pass TRC if they can't relocate essential buttons which are missing on the PSP.

Nino

*LOVES* Bob Marley
Robinspain said:

Day 1 purchase, next-handheld-gen am here.

Y2Kev

Mmmkay said:
Games are being emulated, so it's entirely possible that they can move the shoulder button usage to somewhere else. I don't think any game will pass TRC if they can't relocate essential buttons which are missing on the PSP.

LOL, of course. "Yeah I got this game and uh...it doesn't work" tech support calls coming up.

I imagine it would be similar to PSone -> Saturn conversions, but how many games used the second analog anyway?

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Y2Kevbug11 said:
LOL, of course. "Yeah I got this game and uh...it doesn't work" tech support calls coming up.

I imagine it would be similar to PSone -> Saturn conversions, but how many games used the second analog anyway?

PSone and Saturn had the same amount of buttons though. I'm sure they'll be able to work things out fine though.

Kroole

Mmmkay said:

Relocate them to what buttons exactly? From what I remember (it was quite some while ago I last played and owned a PSX game) many major titles used all of the PS controllers buttons and the PSP offers less buttons than that.

Just curious of what the ratio really was for games taking advantage of all the buttons (and later on analogue) vs ones that don't.

N3al

Y2Kevbug11 said:

Not much. I can only think about Ape Escape as a game that really needs it, the rest did not need as much :D

Y2Kev

levious said:
PSone and Saturn had the same amount of buttons though. I'm sure they'll be able to work things out fine though.

Looking at my PSP, you could use the music note button in some games. Like in SotN, you have three transformation forms...you could definitely use L, R, and music note since you never really need to transform on the fly.

You could also use modifiers in the same way the PSP does for PS2 ports...hold [] and then do something.

There are lots of possible remedies...none as good as the original, but some very close. They have to decide on an individual basis or offer players the ability to map on their own.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Kutaragi also says that there are (now) some psp titles that are compatible with this future periferic (...how misterious...)
hell is that supposed to mean? PSP emulator on PS3? O_O

Top Bottom