• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

An upcoming surreal experience for PC: Turgor, from the makers of Pathologic

A brief premise: some time ago a really original game was released by a moscow-based developer called Ice Pick Lodge, Pathologic.

http://www.pathologic-game.com/eng_index.htm

It was at the time described as an "Epidemy simulator", or "Oblivion with Cancer".An experience like no others, surreal, scary, ambiguos, poethic, sad.
While the engine and the technical realization was average at best and the english translation almost amateurish, the art direction, plot and overall concept created a unique experience that instantly gave birth to a small cult of fans.Pathologic is not for everyone and will surely earn harsh comments for it's flawed technology, but the experience was unique and appealing in many different ways and sure they're pushing the boundaries of the medium.

Recently, ROCK PAPER SHOTGUN made a special in 3 articles dissecting the game themes and events.

--> http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/?p=1517

--------------------------

Well, for everyone of you interested, the new title from the same developer surfaced:

TENSION\TURGOR

http://www.tension-game.com/

art3.jpg

art4.jpg

!_roots08_l.jpg

!_pool1_l.jpg

!_dead_flat1_l.jpg

Careful: full frontal nudity (with artistic values) in the trailer, careful if you feel offended by it.

TRAILER 1

http://www.wegame.com/watch/Tension_Turgor_Trailer_1/

TRAILER 2:

http://www.wegame.com/watch/Tension_Turgor_Trailer_2/

Seems again interesting and fascinating.
While the game mechanics include something between, let's say, the Arx Fatalis magic runes system and Okami paintbrush system, the team describe it as "painting with fluid colors" and that will be the only way of acting in the virtual world.

From the official site:

Tension – a survival adventure game, in which you have to stay alive in the hostile world of Void and to get out from it as quick as possible. The choice is either to support life in its horrifying Hunters or its mournful girls or strip them of it. The way you pass through The Void is the way it changes. The way it reflects upon you.

The surrealistic world of Tension is based on a single resource that grants the ability to live and act – Lympha. Each color of Lympha possesses its own character and unique properties – both useful and dangerous. Only Lympha gives life, but it can take it back as well. Hunters’ blood, captured creature, gracious girls, tree brought to life, just everything is the source of Lympha. Any action you take: battling an enemy, talking to a Sister, hunting, searching, traveling – the price in exchange is Lympha.

The dynamic, interactive environment and the severe resource shortage constantly put the player into unexpected circumstances. Although the player is free to use any colors any time he should mind his global strategy, since the finale will turn out the way the world is painted. The gameplay in Tension is non-linear the ending (one of the 11) depends on the color and the amount of Lympha used.

Features:

1. 1. Lympha – the unified resource: the currency, the hero’s health, armory and inventory, the character’s stat system and the world settings.
2. 2. All the actions are done via drawing by Lympha. The amount of Lympha used influences the effectiveness of the result.
3. 3. The diversity of gameplay based greatly on random appearance and distribution of resources.
4. 4. 7 colors of Lympha are of the same value of nutrition, but produce a different effect in the same situations, if used.
5. 5. Each color of Lympha can benefit and each can harm. The player can take advantage of a color, though even a drop of any color can change the world of the Gap.

Yeah I still have to get Pathologic but this game looks amazing, maybe a true GOTY for all us "artsy fartsy" gamers.
It's out already? The english edition not though, right?

Haunted

Prime crotch said:
*grumble* Not even a highly original horror PC game thread gets replys on GAF?
Answered your own question there.

Sounds interesting, I'll keep an eye on this.

Sule

Prime crotch said:

To be honest, the thread title made me think it was a flash game. I'm sure I'm not the only one. The game looks good though. Can't wait to see more of it.

Sule said:
To be honest, the thread title made me think it was a flash game. I'm sure I'm not the only one. The game looks good though. Can't wait to see more of it.

changed it to something more straighforward :lol

Sule

Much better name. Could be just me but it seems more and more of the good/interesting PC titles are coming from eastern Europe. Maybe it's always been like that and we're only noticing it now because of the internet but they make some good games over there. Mafia is probably the best example of a game from Eastern Europe that blows away anything else.

Eastern Europe's creativity hasn't ever been questioned, it's just the fact that with some exceptions (most recently), the execution is terrible and the polish is nonexistant.

Momar

aka Ryder
Looks quite interesting... the music in the first trailer is awesome. Anyone know where I could get an mp3 of it (besides getting it from the video i.e. bad quality) ?

hehehe. pathologic is awesomely indecipherable. this looks great!

Ryder said:
Looks quite interesting... the music in the first trailer is awesome. Anyone know where I could get an mp3 of it (besides getting it from the video i.e. bad quality) ?
think it might be garageband stuff, or some of it. not sure though

Sule

Ryder said:

They have four songs on their website. Two above each of the trailers so I'm presuming they are in the respective trailers. Music is indeed pretty good I've listened to two of the songs a couple of times now.

http://www.tension-game.com/files_en.php

Teknopathetic said:
Eastern Europe's creativity hasn't ever been questioned, it's just the fact that with some exceptions (most recently), the execution is terrible and the polish is nonexistant.

Yeah, some of the more recent games have been unpolished but still very enjoyable and unique in their own way. It's clear that Eastern Europe is very important to gaming and especially PC gaming I think. I've read about various developers outsourcing more and more stuff to there. A dutch gaming show even had a story on it about a year back about a dutch developer if I'm correct.

zallaaa said:
am I the only one who found the music a bit out of place?

Some parts do sound a bit out of place. Overall it's pretty good and fits in, imo.

Jacobi

Banned
Prime crotch said:
This thread would be 7 pages if this be a Wii game...

Anyway looks very interesting, I hope they also get all the basic things right (no bus, controls etc.). Design looks pretty cool to me.

Mr. Hyde

I never had a chance to try out pathological due to it being buggy and also hating my PC, but I will definitely be trying this.

eve241

Wow! I'm really impressed. I got a sort of Myst vibe from it. And even though I don't know much about the gameplay I can see myself playing the game for the same reasons I play Myst.

I might have to get a PC for this! :O

* starts reading everything he can about Turgor*

eve241

Sorry for the double post, but you know why this kind of thread is important? Because tomorrow I'll start looking for a copy of Pathologic so I can play it as I eagerly await Turgor. And I knew nothing about any of these games one hour ago.

Endow said:
Sorry for the double post, but you know why this kind of thread is important? Because tomorrow I'll start looking for a copy of Pathologic so I can play it as I eagerly await Turgor. And I knew nothing about any of these games one hour ago.

I just recently found out about this game and i'm more then happy to tell everyone that could be interested, cause same thing happened to me in the past: coming here and finding a good suggestion, with screens and videos on top.

Probably, just my two cents, this kind of sharing is what pushes active forums like this one light years ahead of reviewing websites with so called professional journalists will usually feed consumers with scientific talk on what they think about the latest mainstream products.

Anyway, now that we're at it, share some thoughts about pathologic cause it would be nice to hear about it, i think just a few of us played it. :D

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
KTallguy said:
Anyone know where I can purchase Pathologic?

Either eBay or 14.99 from GamersGate. I haven't bought the game from them yet, but GG is owned by Paradox, so it should be fine. You'll probably want to read up on their software download policies though.

eve241

A friend of mind has a copy of Pathologic and I'm hoping to borrow it this week! Very curious as to what awaits me.

Innotech

Banned
why does everything have to look like linoleum in HD games? Its not a troll just a valid question. Because I think its a bit overboard.

Top Bottom