• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

An Updated Look at Japanese Game Sales on Steam [Steamspy figures - May 2016]

kswiston

Exactly, Cloud reached that number with one game, the other with 3.

I was joking, but here were the sales for the FF13 trilogy 2 months ago

Final Fantasy XIII ~525K
Final Fantasy XIII-2 ~275k
Lightning Returns ~75k

VS

Final Fantasy VII ~980k

Lightning Returns came out in December, and a lot of people wait for those 50% off sales to grab their Final Fantasy games. I'm sure it will be closer to 250k by the end of the year. FF7 will be on top for a long time, but the series in general does quite well considering that they never really go on sale for more than 50% off, have a spotty PC port record, and have had very little bundling (basically just those Square Enix store mystery bundles).

EDIT: And all of this on top of every game being late ports (sometimes several years late).

MilkBeard

Two what stood out the most for me were:

Valkyria Chronicles
The Last Remnant

Those are insane figures for both!

The Last Remnant is actually a pretty solid game, and I think fits stylistically a little bit better on PC. That, and those who wanted a PS3 version probably went for the PC version.

I'm a big SaGa fan so I bought the game a few years back even though my last laptop could barely run it.

You should mark games that aren't Steam-exclusive like Dark Souls or Street Fighter IV.

While they used GFWL, didn't both needed to be activated on Steam?
I'm 95% sure on Dark Souls being that way, unsure about SFIV.

Still, it's their highest selling game by far on Steam. Perhaps they will port the sequel soon.

http://www.pcgamer.com/jet-set-radio-and-golden-axe-are-free-on-steam/

It was given away for free a few months ago. Still nice enough to know that so many people at least care about the game enough for that.

CAPCOM

Resident Evil 6 - 789.000
Resident Evil 5 - 739.000
Resident Evil Revelations 2 - 585.000
Resident Evil Revelations - 560.000
Resident Evil 4 - 556.000
Resident Evil HD - 210.000
Resident Evil: Operation Racoon City - 93.000
Resident Evil 0 Remaster - 69.000

DmC: Devil May Cry - 803.000
Devil May Cry 4 - 286.000
Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition - 204.000
Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition - 142.000

Wow, I bet we're getting a Revelations 3. It can't have cost that much to make...unless they gave away part 1 free like they did on PS4, and this is registering those users?

Also, pretty surprised by those great DmC numbers, given the howls from fans who only want Bon Jovi Dante.

Strider - 406.000

This is pretty surprising too, I love Strider but the game just wasn't that good.

SEGA

Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed - 728.000
Sonic Generations - 617.000
Sonic Adventure DX - 437.000
Sonic Adventure 2 - 330.000
Sonic CD - 204.000
Sonic the Hedgehog 4 ep1 - 181.000
Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing - 163.000
Sonic the Hedgehog 4 ep2 - 163.000
Sonic Lost World - 46.000

Jet Set Radio - 1.632.000
Valkryia Chronicles - 825.000
Binary Domain - 655.000
Crazy Taxi - 269.000
Space Channel 5 part 2 - 253.000
Nights Into Dreams - 252.000
Sega Bass Fishing - 252.000

It's official. Sega needs to stop making their pervy Sonic games and dedicate themselves to a Jet Set Radio future.

SNK PLAYMORE

Metal Slug 3 - 590.000
Metal Slug X - 184.000
Metal Slug - 111.000
Metal Slug 2 - 2.000

The King of Fighters XIII - 378.000
The King of Fighters 2002 Unlimited - 85.000
The King of Fighters 98 Ultimate Match Final Edition - 81.000

Everybody bought the best KoF the least. :(

SQUARE-ENIX

Final Fantasy VII - 1.022.000
Final Fantasy XIII - 565.000
Final Fantasy VIII - 558.000
Final Fantasy XIII-2 - 335.000
Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster - 171.000
Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - 148.000
Final Fantasy IX - 144.000
Final Fantasy IV - 137.000
Final Fantasy III - 137.000
Final Fantasy Type-0 - 133.000
Final Fantasy IV: The After Years - 63.000
Final Fantasy VI - 55.000
Final Fantasy V - 42.000

The Last Remnant - 868.000
Dragon Quest Heroes - 25.000

Those Final Fantasy numbers mostly seem lower than I would have expected, aside from VII.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'm going to throw out there for at least all three things I have released on Steam, almost all my numbers are towards the higher estimate count of what SteamSpy shows.

As an example, I have a game released called Close Your Eyes. SteamSpy shows it as 89,343 ± 7,708, which is a close estimate, but the exact numbers I have right at this very moment is 95,077.

And I've noticed that for all three things I've released, I'm always towards the upper estimate, and those I've talked to have said similar things. Just something to think about, though I understand it's better to play the numbers safe than make assumptions.

Dr.Social

Banned

Jet Set Radio - 1.632.000

The people have spoken.™

I'm sure it was some Humble Bundle.

Binary Domain and Jet Set Radio were free as part of the Make Love Not War promotion. Jet Set was given away directly on steam along with Hell Yeah! Wrath of The Dead Rabbit and Binary Domain was given away later on a Sega website.

For comparison

Hell Yeah! Wrath of The Dead Rabbit - 1,632,040 ± 32,861

kewlmyc

Tales of Zestiria - 142.000
Final Fantasy Type-0 - 133.000

5x5y30v.gif

Preorders for Zestiria came with the promise of a free game (Symphonia). That's where a bulk of the sales came from (80k or so).

Preorders for Zestiria came with the promise of a free game (Symphonia). That's where a bulk of the sales came from (80k or so).

It was also a better game and released day and date.
Type-O HD sales couldve been higher or at a higher price point if it was released in the same conditions as PS4/XBO versions.

If you want your Steam game to sell, there's two cases to think about:

1- Day and date release:
-You need price and features parity
-A decent port
-A hyped game

2- Later release:
-You need to have an excellent word of mouth
-A good price
-A good port

It was also a better game and released day and date.
Type-O HD sales couldve been higher or at a higher price point if it was released in the same conditions as PS4/XBO versions.

If you want your Steam game to sell, there's two cases to think about:

1- Day and date release:
-You need price and features parity
-A decent port
-A hyped game

2- Later release:
-You need to have an excellent word of mouth
-A good price
-A good port

Type-0 also got help from sales from their DOTA 2 pre-order promotion.
I know I bought it for that sweet Chocobo courier and Moogle ward.

Dragons Dogma seems a bit disappointing at 300K. Expected that to do a lot better. Guess we better keep expectations of Dragons Dogma Online coming out west in check.

Valkyria Chronicles is killing it. Sure it's had some deep discounts, but 825K is amazing.

Ogawa-san

Dragons Dogma seems a bit disappointing at 300K. Expected that to do a lot better. Guess we better keep expectations of Dragons Dogma Online coming out west in check.
For a game on Steam that have been on sale just once since launch, that's actually great.

Even at just $30, people still wait on a deep discount.

Styles

NAMCO

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition - 2.484.000
Dark Souls II - 1.044.000
Dark Souls III - 911.000
Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin - 673.000

DS3 is almost at a million copies.
67d90ee8.gif

Kvik

XSEED/MARVELOUS

Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky - 181.000

OK, that was a good number.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC - 21.000

The fuck? This is a crime. Why aren't people playing it? I'd expect at least half of FC players would be buying SC as well.

I'll probably have to raffle a few copies closer to Trails of Cold Steel 2 release just to get more people to play.

After all this time, Dragon Quest Heroes never reached the low first month NPD on PS4. Square Enix has a lot of work to do with this franchise here.

If anyone wonder what's going on here, USF4 had a free weekend, SteamSpy itself says the data isn't reliable in such case.

there are also people who only own Arcade Edition and when Ultra came out Capcom changed the name of the game. So there are people who have never bought the Ultra upgrade even though it says they own USF4.

kswiston

For a game on Steam that have been on sale just once since launch, that's actually great.

Also, it's not like Dragons Dogma lit up the charts on Console in the west.

I think that some people just have a skewed perception of how well most Japanese games sell outside of Japan. Especially when we start talking about JRPGs, or ports to 5-15 year old games.

Let me requalify my statement. I agree that 300K is a good amount, it's just looks like a number that Capcom would think is short of expectations. Just hope this is enough to Greenlight a western release for DD:O, and I don't think it's good enough.

The fuck? This is a crime. Why aren't people playing it? I'd expect at least half of FC players would be buying SC as well.

I'll probably have to raffle a few copies closer to Trails of Cold Steel 2 release just to get more people to play.

FC is a long game and SC requires beating it, that's probably a big reason.

And FC has been much cheaper on sale than SC.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
The Last Remnant is actually a pretty solid game, and I think fits stylistically a little bit better on PC. That, and those who wanted a PS3 version probably went for the PC version.

I'm a big SaGa fan so I bought the game a few years back even though my last laptop could barely run it.
The best part about the PC version of The Last Remnant is that it can be tweaked very easily, which reduces the annoying texture pop in and makes it look even better.

Price is the problem here. I mean, last sale, FC sold more during that sale than SC as a whole.
SC will sell too in the long run, just need some patience.

SephLuis

Price is the problem here. I mean, last sale, FC sold more during that sale than SC as a whole.

I can only imagine TC numbers, since they will need you to finish both FC and SC >.>

It's a great series, but I expect for it to hit bigger numbers in the long run.

Tapejara

This was part of a $1 bundle and also given away for free by Sega themselves. Great game though , would love a sequel.

Binary Domain and Jet Set Radio were free as part of the Make Love Not War promotion. Jet Set was given away directly on steam along with Hell Yeah! Wrath of The Dead Rabbit and Binary Domain was given away later on a Sega website.

For comparison

Hell Yeah! Wrath of The Dead Rabbit - 1,632,040 ± 32,861

Just let me have this, guys :(.

Yeah, I couldn't remember if BD was in the MLNW promotion. Oh well, more people owning it is still a good thing!

kswiston

SC needs a 50% off sale before we will see a larger bump in sales. The last 30% off sale was a lot better than what was offered during the winter sale, but I think the $20 mark is a psychological barrier to some. $15 is still not super cheap as far as 8 month old Steam games go, but that would at least approach the same ballpark as what people were buying FC for. Hopefully XSEED goes with that price point during the summer sale next month (For others. I already have the game).

I own a lot of the smaller-selling ones. Go me!

SC needs a 50% off sale before we will see a larger bump in sales. The last 30% off sale was a lot better than what was offered during the winter sale, but I think the $20 mark is a psychological barrier to some. $15 is still not super cheap as far as 8 month old Steam games go, but that would at least approach the same ballpark as what people were buying FC for. Hopefully XSEED goes with that price point during the summer sale next month (For others. I already have the game).

Fuck that pic.

Fuck that pic up the ass.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Interesting how Ys Origin is the best selling... not that I mind.

Recettear's success is amazing.

I think Origin has been bundled more which probably makes a difference. Plus it's PC exclusive so some people might have bought it without double dipping on Oath.

kswiston

I own a lot of the smaller-selling ones. Go me!

Fuck that pic.

Fuck that pic up the ass.

To be fair, a lot of the people buying these games don't even play them. Looking at the achievement list for FC, the most commonly earned one has a 39% completion rate. My FC is on PSP, but based on the description, you get that achievement for beating the prologue.

$20+ for something that rots in your backlog is a lot.

YS Origin - 248.000
YS I & II - 162.000
Ys: The Oath in Felghana - 149.000
Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim - 38.000

Man more people need to buy Ys games. Oath is an excellent game. Surprised that Origins almost hit half a million though.

FLD

To be fair, a lot of the people buying these games don't even play them. Looking at the achievement list for FC, the most commonly earned one has a 39% completion rate. My FC is on PSP, but based on the description, you get that achievement for beating the prologue.

$20+ for something that rots in your backlog is a lot.

Yeah, that's definitely part of it. You also need to factor in those that started FC but never finished it, since SC is a direct sequel. The owners for SC are actually pretty consistent with how many players have the achievement for finishing FC. According to the achievement stats, only 11.3% of players have completed Chapter 4 of FC. 180K owners means roughly 20K have finished it. So, that makes the low number for SC slightly less depressing.

Wish Baseball Stars was on there (not 2). 2 is okay but I don't want to pay $7.99 for it.

Man more people need to buy Ys games. Oath is an excellent game. Surprised that Origins almost hit half a million though.

I bought Oath in Felghana, just haven't gotten around to it yet. Only Ys game I've played before is Ys Book I and II from TurboGrafx,

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Damn I till need to buy some of these.

One can only hope that more Japanese publishers see these numbers and bring their efforts to Steam.

Top Bottom