• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Analogue Mega Sg To Feature Unreleased Sega Genesis/Mega Drive Game

Bullet Club

Analogue Mega Sg To Feature Unreleased Sega Genesis/Mega Drive Game

Source code for Hardcore recovered from a single ailing harddrive

When Analogue released its modern reimagining of the NES, the Analogue Nt, it was a thing of beauty. The premium $500 price, though, meant it was destined for the serious enthusiast market only. Its follow up, the Analogue Nt Mini, trimmed a couple of features but came in at a far more realistic pricepoint for the average gamer.

Then followed the Analogue Super Nt, doing for the 16-bit SNES what it had done for the console's predecessor. Every console also came with an extra special gift - an exclusive Director's Cut of Super Turrican featuring material that had to be cut from the original cartridge due to memory restrictions. With the upcoming Analogue Mega Sg - an equivalent modern interpretation of Sega's Mega Drive/Genesis - fans were hoping there'd be a similar present awaiting them on the new console.

From the look of that trailer, they're not going to be disappointed! The company posted the above video showing off Hardcore, a run-and-gun shooter from Digital Illusions (or DICE as they're better known) that was cancelled in 1994 in a 99% complete state. Apparently the only known source code came from "a single, dead hard drive that was barely recovered".

OZ12FZP.jpg

Analogue go on to describe the game thusly:

Hardcore is a fast paced, euro-style run'n'gun, space base thriller. We're dedicated to preserving this piece of video game history and Hardcore is included digitally on each Mega Sg system.​

The game will go by the name Ultracore 'due to licensing reasons', but whatever it's called, it looks absolutely terrific. It'll be a treat to tuck into a game from the era - not a remake, not an homage; a genuine 25-year-old Mega Drive game that had been 'lost'.

The console is on pre-order for $189.99 from Analogue's website and is scheduled to ship in April.

Pp7S7au.jpg

Source: Nintendo Life

Bullet Club

It is a little pricey but like the Super Nt it should be worth it.

The Analogue Mega Sg is an FPGA-based aftermarket Sega Genesis and Sega Mega Drive compatible game console designed and manufactured by Seattle-based company Analogue, Inc. Mega Sg was designed to explore Sega's entire 8 and 16 bit 16-bit console era. It is compatible with original Sega Genesis / Sega Mega Drive, Sega Game Gear, Sega Master System, Sega Mark III, Sega SG-1000 and Sega SC-3000 (Both NTSC and PAL region). It features 1080p HDMI, digital audio (48 kHz 16-bit), and original Genesis/Mega Drive-style controller ports. Kevin Horton engineered Mega Sg to run in an Altera Cyclone V with 100% accuracy and also provided extra features like the possibility to scale the original 240p video output to different resolutions up to 1080p 60 Hz. Phil Fish, the designer of Fez, designed the Mega Sg's user interface.

Shotpun

There is only one genesis game I still like to play (Streets of Rage 2) and I still want to get one of these at some point. I do have my old original childhood MD2 still but it's PAL so fuck that. Not that interested in finding a working US genesis that hasn't been swimming in puke and dog piss once or twice in its lifetime and I would also have to get a power converter and expensive upscaler for it, so I'm glad these FPGA machines are a thing.

dolabla

That's awesome! I already pre-ordered. Can't wait to get my hands on this thing. The Super NT was/is amazing.

I hope they're able to get 32x working on this thing one day.

Chittagong

Gold Member
It’s really impressive how Analogue manages somehow to not only find desirable, completed but unreleased games, but also figure out the rights to license them.

Very excited about the Mega SG. Ordered some games to play when it drops.

4ac1d02e-dee8-42bc-8ubka9.jpeg

Is there any news on dates?

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
It’s really impressive how Analogue manages somehow to not only find desirable, completed but unreleased games, but also figure out the rights to license them.

Very excited about the Mega SG. Ordered some games to play when it drops.
This game has nice graphics and even some destruction elements. Nice little bonus.

*Reverts to 10yr-old me*
If it's cool with your parents maybe we could swap games for a while after your done with them. Maybe at recess or after school on Monday, but it's gotta be fast so I can get home in time for Power Rangers. I didn't bring my rollerblades and I have to walk home. :p
bh4b8uops7iixojb.jpg

Top Bottom