• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Analogue NT ($578 HDMI NES) |OT| Better than anything, and ready to ship years ago

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
Did they ever get your brightness issue taken care?

Mostly... video output looks amazing on my TV, but it comes out kind of dark when I capture it. It's not a big deal, since I can run it through premiere and tweak the levels, but it's a strange issue since no other system I use has that kind of disparity between TV and capture device.

Frostburn

So safe to assume the Analogue NT also will not work with the Everdrive?

Since they are using the Kevtris HDMI mod kit I doubt an Everdrive will work with it unless the creator of Everdrive changes the way it works via a firmware update. Apparently the Powerpak works fine with it however.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Consequently, does this mean the NT is not compatible with Everdrives?

Yeah, that's what people are trying to figure out. In the long Kevtris video yesterday where he chats with his mate, I could swear that he says that the only way to update his board is loading the FW to an Everdrive, but maybe I'm mistaken.

Yeah, that's what people are trying to figure out. In the long Kevtris video yesterday where he chats with his mate, I could swear that he says that the only way to update his board is loading the FW to an Everdrive, but maybe I'm mistaken.

Yeah they said Everdrive before but Powerpak or possibly burning it to a chip/repro board would work.

Gyrian

Consequently, does this mean the NT is not compatible with Everdrives?

I thought I read somewhere around this discussion that the kevtris HDMI board is essentially completely off if an HDMI cable is not plugged in. I am curious if this would mean that the Everdrive would in fact work if you kept HDMI unplugged and use a different video output?

Kawika

I thought I read somewhere around this discussion that the kevtris HDMI board is essentially completely off if an HDMI cable is not plugged in. I am curious if this would mean that the Everdrive would in fact work if you kept HDMI unplugged and use a different video output?

I recently purchased both the Everdrive and the Analogue NT. I feel like a fool now. This was a ton of money to not have it work as intended. I sent an email to the Analogue team for confirmation as this is pretty much a deal breaker. I have yet to hear back.

Kawika

"Hi Kawika,

Don't worry - this is a non-issue.

Though the everdrive is currently not compatible with the HDMI upgrade (it is compatible with the regular analog version of the Nt) - this compatibility has absolutely nothing to do with the HDMI upgrade, but entirely to do with the everdrive. According to our lead video engineer, Kevin Horton the coding on the everdrive is a little sloppy i.e bus timing issues or something of the sort.

The good news: we've already been in communication with Krikzz, the creator of the everdrive and he'll be fixing the issue and releasing a new firmware update. Don't worry, it won't take too long! It'll definitely be compatible very soon.

Also, for whatever its worth, the Powerpak is indeed compatible with the HDMI upgrade.

- Analogue Team"

So on one hand at least the analogue team is aware and knows that people won't be too happy especially when they claimed it would work. But it is also assuming that Krikzz can write better code and theorycraft will work the way they think it will.

What do you guys think?

Chittagong

Gold Member
That might be the most straight forwards answer anyone has got out of Analogue. Ok, so they still overpromise ("it'll be fixed real soon"),but at least they don't make shit up.

On the note of making shit up, I might have been had by Analogue one last time. Their "shipping" doesn't seem to mean that anything would ship out of their warehouse, but just that they have provided information of an upcoming shipment to the courier. They gave me the "shipment notification" a good some days ago, but the courier website doesn't indicate the product would have picked up. Just "information received" by courier.

baphomet

Well, he does seem like a competent person and he is the Kevtris behind the HDMI add on. But yeah, the way it was put is kind of funny.

It's not going to work anytime soon, and even if its fixed, the current everdrive won't work on it.

On the note of making shit up, I might have been had by Analogue one last time. Their "shipping" doesn't seem to mean that anything would ship out of their warehouse, but just that they have provided information of an upcoming shipment to the courier. They gave me the "shipment notification" a good some days ago, but the courier website doesn't indicate the product would have picked up. Just "information received" by courier.

Careful, I've had UPS lose packages with the same situation; shipment notification with zero updates for a week. I got a refund but obviously you've had enough trouble with this order.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Careful, I've had UPS lose packages with the same situation; shipment notification with zero updates for a week. I got a refund but obviously you've had enough trouble with this order.

Phew, it finally departed now. An Analogue NT with HDMI is on the way to me. Didn't think I'd ever get to type those words!

Kawika

It's not going to work anytime soon, and even if its fixed, the current everdrive won't work on it.

Can you explain why the current one won't work? From what I've read its about fixing the code that should be able to be patched via firmware update. Krikzz seems pretty committed to getting it right.

So Kevtris is actually blaming the Everdrive for the problem?....funny how then if the mappers that the Everdrive use are so poorly code then why does it run absolutely fine on the original hardware and also the NESRGB kits.

I think Kevtris is talking out of his arse

I thought the same thing. It's so strange that it won't run through HDMI.

oh man, my HDMI Analogue NT is supposed to be delivered tomorrow!

SPANUUUUUND!

Noice. Keep us updated!

baphomet

Can you explain why the current one won't work? From what I've read its about fixing the code that should be able to be patched via firmware update. Krikzz seems pretty committed to getting it right.

Krikzz already got it right. It works perfectly with the actual console. He hasn't even commented on this, but you can't update the fpga without a jtag flasher. Something which 90% of people can't/won't do.

RetroReid

Krikzz already got it right. It works perfectly with the actual console. He hasn't even commented on this, but you can't update the fpga without a jtag flasher. Something which 90% of people can't/won't do.

If you read what Kevtris posted over on nesdev.com he explains that Krikzz did not get it right:

http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?p=150896#p150896

Yes, the Everdrive does work for the most part, but it's the nature of the NES' many different CPU and PPU revisions that can cause incompatibility with the HiDefNES.
The fact of the matter is that the PowerPak does indeed work with the HiDefNES upgrade because it takes these revisions into account.

I actually did hear Kevtris confirm on a gametech.us youtube video that he spoke with Krikzz, and he is committed to fixing it.
However, it does suck that people who own Everdrives will need them flashed for compatibility.

For what it's worth, Kevtris also said in the video that his next project might be his own NES flash cart.

Kawika

Spoke with Stone Age gamer and they seemed happy to reflash carts for their customers.

Decider

I spoke to Analogue about Everdrive compatibility last year and they guaranteed that the Nt would work with it. Even more evidence to suggest that they were overpromising and didn't have an actual product developed at that stage, let alone tested with an ED.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I spoke to Analogue about Everdrive compatibility last year and they guaranteed that the Nt would work with it. Even more evidence to suggest that they were overpromising and didn't have an actual product developed at that stage, let alone tested with an ED.

It probably worked at the time. The HDMI functions weren't finalized until later.

Not that this doesn't basically prove your last point anyway.

mltplkxr

With the exchange rate between US-CAD, it turns out it would have been a good idea to pre-order it back then. It would have cost about the same. Now it comes to almost 800$ CAD. I think I'll pass for now.

Decider

It probably worked at the time. The HDMI functions weren't finalized until later.

Not that this doesn't basically prove your last point anyway.

I don't think that there was even a console at the time that I asked, but more that Analogue made an assumption with a view to securing another pre-order to pay for development. I'm glad I didn't take their word for it.

mlpz

Neo Member
Mine also *should* be arriving tomorrow now, keeping fingers crossed. Had to do an address change with Analogue last week, because I moved since ordering and gave them the new address, but incorrect zip code. So tracking shows it delayed, but hopefully not longer than tomorrow. Can't wait to try it out! I also ordered component cables from them that are arriving separately, in case I wanted to use it with my CRT. Curious to see how it looks with those.

Gyrian

This thread is anxiously in need of impressions!
Can't believe the two most active posters just about to finally receive theirs both got bumped to tomorrow, haha.

Still curious as to how the HDMI unit behaves if you choose to output RGB instead.

baphomet

This thread is anxiously in need of impressions!
Can't believe the two most active posters just about to finally receive theirs both got bumped to tomorrow, haha.

Still curious as to how the HDMI unit behaves if you choose to output RGB instead.

Does the HDMI version even output RGB?

Jockel

Are there any impressions comparing the HDMI mod with the XRGB Mini? Since my AV Fami is already RGB modded, I'd have to get a second one for an HDMI mod anyways, which adds up. So I figured I might as well just invest in a nice XRGB setup.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Heh - I live in Miami BTW, just never updated my profile.

Really? So when I order Final Fantasy XV from Amazon, who lists a release date of December 31, 2015, they are breaking the law and I should sue them for deceptive practices when it doesn't ship then? I mean, they are omitting the fact that they don't really know the date, that the game is still in development and could slip. It must be fraud, everyone call the FTC and their lawyers now!

I agree that they should have communicated better, but they haven't broken any US laws to my knowledge.

Older post but Amazon didn't charge you when you made that order. So nah.

Kawika

Just thought I would update the community with my ongoing emails with the excellent staff at Analogue Interactive

"Hi Kawika,

For whatever its worth, while we wait for Krikzz to update his firmware for the Everdrive... an old Everdrive firmware (3.0) seems to function OK with the HDMI upgrade. I've uploaded it to dropbox here, feel free to pass around the link to those who'd like to use it until the full update comes out. The update doesn't require flashing, anyone can do it. It merely requires you to update the firmware on the SD card (which is simply a matter of copy and pasting the new files onto your Everdrive's SD card)."

I have yet to receive my Analogue NT but those with the HDMI upgrade and an Everdrive please test this and let us know your results.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I was afraid might never get to type these words, but... The HDMI Analogue NT is here, it's real, and it's utterly glorious.

It comes in a beautiful black box with not one, but two foil blocks, gold and varnish. It's impossible to grasp from pictures how heavy the unit is. It feels like it's a block of metal, incredibly solid.

The HDMI works amazingly. The picture is so crisp that it could be coming out of an emulator, however here the performance is identical to a real NES, as it runs directly off the actual CPU and PPU, and no lag is introduced in the process. It's best of all worlds.

I can see why some might feel uneasy putting a cartridge into the slot, as it is a hard metal edge, however I had no problems with the few cartridges I tested. There is a nice little touch when you power on the game, but I won't spoil it here.

I am flying out today, so it will be a few days until I get to put it into proper use. I am super excited after my short gameplay session just now and can't wait to be back.

Overall, spectacular job Analogue. You made it a bit harder to yourself than it needed to be, but I am blown away and got more than I expected with the Analogue NT.

YL40AjY.jpg

wqFWPjn.jpg

bHwODX1.jpg

okLvgQV.jpg

I was afraid might never get to type these words, but... The HDMI Analogue NT is here, it's real, and it's utterly glorious.

It comes in a beautiful black box with not one, but two foil blocks, gold and varnish. It's impossible to grasp from pictures how heavy the unit is. It feels like it's a block of metal, incredibly solid.

The HDMI works amazingly. The picture is so crisp that it could be coming out of an emulator, however here the performance is identical to a real NES, as it runs directly off the actual CPU and PPU, and no lag is introduced in the process. It's best of all worlds.

I can see why some might feel uneasy putting a cartridge into the slot, as it is a hard metal edge, however I had no problems with the few cartridges I tested. There is a nice little touch when you power on the game, but I won't spoil it here.

I am flying out today, so it will be a few days until I get to put it into proper use. I am super excited after my short gameplay session just now and can't wait to be back.

Overall, spectacular job Analogue. You made it a bit harder to yourself than it needed to be, but I am blown away and got more than I expected with the Analogue NT.

YL40AjY.jpg

wqFWPjn.jpg

bHwODX1.jpg

okLvgQV.jpg
Very nice

Gyrian

Looks great! Thanks for the quick impressions, that is a really strong first reaction. I'm glad you're coming out so excited after such a long, bumpy road.

Hope we hear more from everyone over the weekend!

Does the HDMI version even output RGB?

I think it does, you can see both ports in the back of Chittagong's unit!

mlpz

Neo Member
Mine's out for delivery! My luck, watch me miss the UPS deliverer, hah. Great photos Chittagong, and congrats! Glad to hear it's meeting the expectations. Super glad to hear that there is no lag. I was hesitant to use it with HDMI because of the risk of lag, but I think I'll just dive right into it.

My game room isn't nearly as neat and tidy and clean, so forgive any mess in whatever pics I can put up later!

mlpz

Neo Member
Got hosed by UPS. Apparently they need yet another day and a full weekend to adjust to the trauma of changing an address during a shipment.

Should be here by Monday after work. If UPS doesn't boner this again.

RetroReid

There are some strange things going on at Analogue...
There have been several changes to their site's preorder page regarding the next batch of Analogue Nt's.
Analogue Nt Preorder Page

The most notable is,
"The second production is highly limited to 300 units. Due to limited available components (CPU and PPU) this will be the last and final Analogue Nt production."

This is probably pretty expected, but also kind of sad for anyone wanting to get their hands on one. But it also means the Analogue Nt will be very rare and valuable in the future.
The more worrisome change is what they are now saying about the HDMI upgrade on the preorder page,
"Please note: when you upgrade your Analogue Nt with the HDMI upgrade, your Nt will only output digital signals."

What the heck does that mean?
There happens to be more information on their FAQ page...
"When you upgrade your Analogue Nt to HDMI it will output HDMI only. The internal functionality of analog & digital are two different systems that are not compatible with each other. Though, RGB and HDMI can be switched at any time (we'll even install it for you for free!). Moreover, any future advancements in NES technology should be compatible with the Nt too.

In other words: your Analogue Nt is modular and can be modified at any time to suite your desires."

This is madness, not only did Analogue never make any mention of this before but it actually contradicts what Kevtris has stated in the past.
Kevtris designed the HiDefNES board to be able to switch back to analogue mode when an HDMI cable is not plugged in.
Is Analogue Interactive no longer using Ketris' board in their second production or have they just failed to give us this vital information?

I myself ordered the HDMI upgrade as well as analogue cables to be used with a CRT TV, I'm sure many people here have as well.
Is there anyone here who ordered both who has tested if both HDMI and analogue signals work?

Chittagong

Gold Member
Mad, only 300 more units. So happy I got mine. Once the word gets out how good it ended up being, and how limited it is, they'll go for $1000 on eBay in no time, although I'd never sell mine.

I hope they'll do an Analogue SN or Analogue MD next. Anyone have an idea of how readily donor Super Famicoms or MegaDrives would be available.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
This is madness, not only did Analogue never make any mention of this before but it actually contradicts what Kevtris has stated in the past.
Kevtris designed the HiDefNES board to be able to switch back to analogue mode when an HDMI cable is not plugged in.
Is Analogue Interactive no longer using Ketris' board in their second production or have they just failed to give us this vital information?

I myself ordered the HDMI upgrade as well as analogue cables to be used with a CRT TV, I'm sure many people here have as well.
Is there anyone here who ordered both who has tested if both HDMI and analogue signals work?

I really want to know this as well.

Great pics Chittagong!

mlpz

Neo Member
There are some strange things going on at Analogue...
There have been several changes to their site's preorder page regarding the next batch of Analogue Nt's.
Analogue Nt Preorder Page

The most notable is,

This is probably pretty expected, but also kind of sad for anyone wanting to get their hands on one. But it also means the Analogue Nt will be very rare and valuable in the future.
The more worrisome change is what they are now saying about the HDMI upgrade on the preorder page,

What the heck does that mean?
There happens to be more information on their FAQ page...

Wow, very interesting indeed. My unit is an HDMI, and I have the Analogue component cables coming on Monday. I will test and let you all know!

Here is where it gets interesting though...when I received shipping notification for the HDMI unit, they cancelled my component cable order, which was separate, without any notice why. So I told them that I didn't cancel it, and would like it reinstated. They did, and I have tracking info for that separate package now.

So I wonder if they cancelled it knowing that the HDMI units couldn't do both, and then whoever I talked to about reinstating that order didn't know that specific info and went ahead and sent them. Very interesting. Disappointing if true. I mean I was planning on using HDMI most of the time, but I wanted the option for component to be there.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I ordered mine yesterday (#2095)... i hope it'll be okay. :/

By the way, what's the brand of the dogbone controller on your pic ?

It's an original Nintendo one. Brand new. Amazingly, there are still unused ones going around. Might have been from lukiegames.com, or eBay, it was last year. Love it.

Top Bottom