• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Analogue Nt mini: NES/Famicoms final form - Kevtris FPGA, aluminum, 1080P, $449

It's like if Apple made an NES.

Oh how I wish I could even remotely afford it, but it's too much for a video game console, let alone out of my budget. :(

galvatron

I wrote to them yesterday about the Chinese version of the EverDrive not working on the NT Mini. As far as I know, the Chinese EverDrive is made by someone who buys component chips from Krizz and assembles them in China according to an old thread on Krizz's forums where he posted that info. They replied today and said they'd never seen the cart before and would be happy to see about support if they can track one down. I'd be willing to send them mine for testing once I settle on some other games to play for a while.

Very quick response. Customer service on both this and AVS are spectacular.

Chittagong

Gold Member
uM9T3BU.jpg

This game is goddam hard. The first boss is kicking my ass.

F34R

This is on a Samsung UE75ES9000

Thanks. I'm going to try it on my Vizio P65. The lag on my "old" Vizio 3d, even with game mode enabled, is a little too much to play MT Punchout, SMB. Anything that needs some good timing and precision.

F34R

Finally got it all sorted, and it's looking really nice on my Vizio P-65 C1!!

Here's some SMB playtime hehe...

LINK

From the lead engineer himself:
https://goo.gl/347N2Z

The Nt mini now has an (unofficial) firmware that both supports loading roms from the SD card (ie you don't need an Everdrive to select/play any game) and will gain support for other Ketris cores, which currently include:

* Sega Master System
* Game Gear
* Colecovision
* NES/Famicom
* Atari 2600
* Atari 7800
* Intellivision
* Odyssey^2
* Adventure Vision
* Supervision
* RCA Studio 2
* Fairchild Channel F
* Videobrain
* Arcadia 2001
* Creativision
* Gameboy
* Gameboy Color (not 100% yet, still debugging. runs 99% of games so far)

The Nt mini now has an (unofficial) firmware that both supports loading roms from the SD card (ie you don't need an Everdrive to select/play any game) and will gain support for other Ketris cores, which currently include:

* Sega Master System
* Game Gear
* Colecovision
* NES/Famicom
* Atari 2600
* Atari 7800
* Intellivision
* Odyssey^2
* Adventure Vision
* Supervision
* RCA Studio 2
* Fairchild Channel F
* Videobrain
* Arcadia 2001
* Creativision
* Gameboy

$450 isn't looking so bad now...

* Sega Master System
* Game Gear
* Colecovision
* NES/Famicom
* Atari 2600
* Atari 7800
* Intellivision
* Odyssey^2
* Adventure Vision
* Supervision
* RCA Studio 2
* Fairchild Channel F
* Videobrain
* Arcadia 2001
* Creativision
* Gameboy

Oh my God! I would be all over a GameBoy/GameBoy Color core. I NEED that GameBoy cart adaptor that he's working on like yesterday.

F34R

* Sega Master System
* Game Gear
* Colecovision
* NES/Famicom
* Atari 2600
* Atari 7800
* Intellivision
* Odyssey^2
* Adventure Vision
* Supervision
* RCA Studio 2
* Fairchild Channel F
* Videobrain
* Arcadia 2001
* Creativision
* Gameboy
Oh wow! This is special!! Super excited!

I love that wireless controller in theory, but the two extra buttons are just ridiculous.

Does anyone make something comparable with only two buttons?

Been saying this forever. It's an abomination to me.

* Sega Master System
* Game Gear
* Colecovision
* NES/Famicom
* Atari 2600
* Atari 7800
* Intellivision
* Odyssey^2
* Adventure Vision
* Supervision
* RCA Studio 2
* Fairchild Channel F
* Videobrain
* Arcadia 2001
* Creativision
* Gameboy

Whoa

TheWraith

* Sega Master System
* Game Gear
* Colecovision
* NES/Famicom
* Atari 2600
* Atari 7800
* Intellivision
* Odyssey^2
* Adventure Vision
* Supervision
* RCA Studio 2
* Fairchild Channel F
* Videobrain
* Arcadia 2001
* Creativision
* Gameboy

This is huge!

* Sega Master System
* Game Gear
* Colecovision
* NES/Famicom
* Atari 2600
* Atari 7800
* Intellivision
* Odyssey^2
* Adventure Vision
* Supervision
* RCA Studio 2
* Fairchild Channel F
* Videobrain
* Arcadia 2001
* Creativision
* Gameboy

Oh wow. This makes this an amazing purchase as everdrive dont do anything special than an SD card (except those ones with chip enhancements). Curious to see how it will handle other emulation. Now I gotta figure out how to order it to Europe without crazy import taxes.

storafötter;229749506 said:
Oh wow. This makes this an amazing purchase as everdrive dont do anything special than an SD card (except those ones with chip enhancements). Curious to see how it will handle other emulation. Now I gotta figure out how to order it to Europe without crazy import taxes.

No reason that the NT Mini can't do the chip enhancements for other cores like it does for NES, and Kevin is a stickler about that stuff. He implemented the special chip used by Pitfall II in his FPGA Bankzilla (Atari 2600) twenty years ago. His 7800 FPGA core includes the Atari POKEY chip (only used in two carts) functionality, dig this music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAqYxMCQDrM

$450 for an FPGA system that emulates over a dozen 8-bit systems and doesn't need Everdrives, and can dump carts no longer seems expensive at all.

No reason that the NT Mini can't do the chip enhancements for other cores like it does for NES, and Kevin is a stickler about that stuff. He implemented the special chip used by Pitfall II in his FPGA Bankzilla (Atari 2600) twenty years ago. His 7800 FPGA core includes the Atari POKEY chip (only used in two carts) functionality, dig this music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAqYxMCQDrM

$450 for an FPGA system that emulates over a dozen 8-bit systems and doesn't need Everdrives, and can dump carts no longer seems expensive at all.

That is pretty impressive I gotta say. Thanks for sharing more knowledge on the matter.

F34R

.. and to think, I purchased my Everdrive N8 a month ago lol, and it's on its way from the Ukraine lol. I'll put it to use on an original NES I guess.

.. and to think, I purchased my Everdrive N8 a month ago lol, and it's on its way from the Ukraine lol. I'll put it to use on an original NES I guess.

The N8 will give you ability to do save states, which kevtris hasn't implemented. Though I hope it's coming soon!

New002

* Sega Master System
* Game Gear
* Colecovision
* NES/Famicom
* Atari 2600
* Atari 7800
* Intellivision
* Odyssey^2
* Adventure Vision
* Supervision
* RCA Studio 2
* Fairchild Channel F
* Videobrain
* Arcadia 2001
* Creativision
* Gameboy

Holy smokes this is big.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
The MLiG stream tonight was about the NT mini jailbreak but I missed most of it because of the Super Bowl. I'll check it out and link it here when they put up the archive tomorrow.

hitsugi

Does anything like this exist for SNES..? What is the best way to play one on a 1080p display these days? Framemeister?

The games looks awesome coming out of this thing, but man that console is hideous. I can't stand to look at the thing, but I can't argue with how awesome it's making these games look.

F34R

Does anything like this exist for SNES..? What is the best way to play one on a 1080p display these days? Framemeister?

Retron consoles can take SNES. I don't think a Framemeister is necessary. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong though.

TheWraith

Retron consoles can take SNES. I don't think a Framemeister is necessary. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong though.

Retron5 is emulation though, and only does 720p with crappy scanlines. Either a Framemesiter or the OSCC is what you would need.

F34R

Retron5 is emulation though, and only does 720p with crappy scanlines. Either a Framemesiter or the OSCC is what you would need.

Ahh, I thought he was asking if something can play SNES games, and then the other part was about the NT Mini... my bad. Thanks for coming in with the proper info.

Technically so is the Analog NT Mini

The Nt mini is hardware emulation, which given what is known about NES hardware (ie everything) is indistinguishable from the real hardware. The Retron 5 is software emulation, which is more like a semi close approximation with quite a few inaccuracies and lots of added lag.

modsbox

So how is this better than the retrousb avs? I have one of those and the only thing I see as better here is 1080p vs 720p.

Is it just that it can run some other 8-bit console roms?

Analogue confirmed it would be included both on twitter and their own support forum. Don't know if that feature would play nice with Kevtris own core of course.

Just got my unit, can't wait to try tonight!

Yeah, saw that. But it's Kevtris' core that's running on the stock mini, plus he's the lead engineer (possibly only engineer) working on the Nt mini.

So how is this better than the retrousb avs? I have one of those and the only thing I see as better here is 1080p vs 720p.

Is it just that it can run some other 8-bit console roms?

Integer scaled output (smooth scrolling) with correct looking aspect ratio, RGB/s-video/composite output, in game menu, custom hotkeys with remote power, far more customization, better build, user definable palettes, ability to load roms from sd card, ability to reconfigure fpga to be ~15 other consoles, other stuff I'm forgetting.

Fularu

Banned
The Nt mini is hardware emulation, which given what is known about NES hardware (ie everything) is indistinguishable from the real hardware. The Retron 5 is software emulation, which is more like a semi close approximation with quite a few inaccuracies and lots of added lag.

BIG difference between FGPA and software emulation as you probably know.

It's still emulation and relying on the core's writer ability to properly reproduce everything the NES (or any other system) offers. Whil eit's 'hardware emulation", at its core it remains software emulation, since you have to, you know, actually program/devellop the core.

This will be far more reliable emulation wise than a Retron 5 (which is an android stick with cart slots) but it's still emulation (and there's nothing wrong with that).

It's still emulation and relying on the core's writer ability to properly reproduce everything the NES (or any other system) offers. Whil eit's 'hardware emulation", at its core it remains software emulation, since you have to, you know, actually program/devellop the core.

This will be far more reliable emulation wise than a Retron 5 (which is an android stick with cart slots) but it's still emulation (and there's nothing wrong with that).

It's configuring an FPGA to function exactly like the NES cpu and ppu at the gate and resistor level in such a way that you can measure the output on an oscilloscope and compare to the actual hardware and confirm that it's identical.

You can call it "emulation" but a more accurate way to describe it would be making exact clones of the circuitry on the chips. The chips have been fully documented and x-rayed so there's no guess work here.

Top Bottom