• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Analogue Nt mini: NES/Famicoms final form - Kevtris FPGA, aluminum, 1080P, $449

Chittagong

Gold Member
Chittagong said:
Reviews

Gamespot - "Inside and out, the Nt Mini is an incredible piece of hardware that serves its audience better than any other NES-related product on the market. Analogue has outdone itself, setting a new standard for retro gaming hardware. Its price tag will no doubt scare off some potential customers, but if you’re looking for a way to play NES games on your monitor of choice--without compromises--look no further than the Nt Mini."

Eurogamer - The Analogue Nt Mini does more than any competing product and offers a long-term solution for playing 8-bit consoles well into the future. For our money, this is the best console ever made for playing 8-bit NES games.

Engadget - "The perfect NES experience isn't for everyone, but for those who can foot the bill, it's here."

TechCrunch - "The Nt Mini is obviously not for everyone, given its high price tag, but you’d be surprised at how easy it is to justify the cost given the obvious care and attention put into both the console’s industrial design and its hardware and software engineering."

Forbes - "The Analogue Nt is not some Nintendo clone gaming system hastily produced with parts found in the wreckage of a computer repair store. The Analogue Nt Mini is a solid tribute to the 8-bit era designed not to only capture our nostalgic spirit for a simpler time in gaming, but to keep our love for classic games alive with new hardware. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go rage quit Battletoads."

Digital Foundry video review

Linustech (video review)

Finally got around updating the OP with reviews, the Mini is getting some really good reviews all around.

ACESmkII

I caved in and ordered an NT Mini as there has been nothing but praise for its quality.

I only own three Famicom carts though.. Ninja Ryukenden III, Akumajo Dentsetsu and Crisis Force. I definitely need to work on building the collection.

Ocaso

I too caved and bought one of these even though my NES collection is still minimal. However, the extra cores convinced me that this is shaping up to be not just the ultimate FPGA NES, but seemingly the ultimate 8-bit FPGA console.

I'm curious as to where I can keep up with kevtris' new firmware updates. I don't see them on his blog.

I too caved and bought one of these even though my NES collection is still minimal. However, the extra cores convinced me that this is shaping up to be not just the ultimate FPGA NES, but seemingly the ultimate 8-bit FPGA console.

I'm curious as to where I can keep up with kevtris' new firmware updates. I don't see them on his blog.

http://blog.kevtris.org/blogfiles/?C=M;O=D

That's where you get the files. The most recent ntm_firmware_verJB*.zip file will have the most recent JB firmware and the README should say what's new (scroll to the bottom).

Note: Make sure and delete the old JB firmwares off your SD or the new one won't install.

Odyssey 2 was added this week. KC Munchkin time!

Ocaso

Yep, though sometimes the thread is behind the FTP site.

Also, read the README files (especially for the cores). It covers things that aren't covered in the thread (until somebody asks, usually without reading the files).

Thanks for pointing me to those sites! I see that in the Atari age thread kevtris does say he things some 16 bit cores may be possible as well. I wonder which ones. (PC Engine, perhaps?)

Thanks for pointing me to those sites! I see that in the Atari age thread kevtris does say he things some 16 bit cores may be possible as well. I wonder which ones. (PC Engine, perhaps?)

Genesis is the one that's realistic. It sounds like TG-16 is unlikely, and SNES and Neo Geo are impossible.

Kawika

Does anyone in this thread have the original NT? I have it and I am debating right now to remove the hdmi and just return it to tims rgb. I was wondering if anyone knew if the sound profile from the NT via analog output is the same as the famicom? I know everyone here is loving their mini but i have a BVM monitor and both a framemeister and ossc and I feel the hdmi is actually hindering my enjoyment. I didn't have any of these when i bought the NT. The nt was my gateway drug to return to retro gaming.

Also can anyone here confirm if the sound coming out of the mini is the same as an actual famicom with games like gimmick or akumajou densetsu?

Chittagong

Gold Member
Does anyone in this thread have the original NT? I have it and I am debating right now to remove the hdmi and just return it to tims rgb. I was wondering if anyone knew if the sound profile from the NT via analog output is the same as the famicom? I know everyone here is loving their mini but i have a BVM monitor and both a framemeister and ossc and I feel the hdmi is actually hindering my enjoyment. I didn't have any of these when i bought the NT. The nt was my gateway drug to return to retro gaming.

Also can anyone here confirm if the sound coming out of the mini is the same as an actual famicom with games like gimmick or akumajou densetsu?

I've got both. Nt Mini has a menu for selecting sound chip support, and yes Gimmick is supported.

Kawika

I've got both. Nt Mini has a menu for selecting sound chip support, and yes Gimmick is supported.

But does it sound right. I know the HDMI NT (original) sounded close but not quite right. I was hoping that if i removed the HDMI and put it back to RGB i'd get accurate sound. IIRC yours was the HDMI NT.

I could trade you a Famicom w/ RGB for that NT ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

LOL Maybe if you had a few rgb modded consoles to trade but not a 1:1. :p

That's weird. Isn't the Genesis significantly more powerful hardware? I wonder why that is realistic but not PC Engine.

The PCE has faster memory access that pushes what the FPGA can do, though Kevtris has an idea to try. Relevant discussion here.

Note that he's getting busier with work so any new cores are probably going to take some time. The current cores were already written.

Chittagong

Gold Member
But does it sound right. I know the HDMI NT (original) sounded close but not quite right. I was hoping that if i removed the HDMI and put it back to RGB i'd get accurate sound. IIRC yours was the HDMI NT.

You're right, I also have an HDMI, and truth to be told, I wouldn't be able to tell whether it sounds 'right' - I don't have a reference.

I got a stupid large bonus this year so I ordered one of these to go with my new OLED.

Anyome running one of these on a 4k display? It sounds like 720p is the even-est upscale, but I like the idea of trimming off a bit of the edges where overscan would taken them off anyway.

I liked the look of some of the 5x/6x variants in the YouTube videos from Digital Foundry, etc.

Getting a NES classic just made me crave one of these . NES classic still fun for portable NES.

TSM

I received mine earlier this week, but I haven't opened the box yet. Kevtris completely changed the value proposition on this. It's an amazing bargain for all it does.

Ocaso

I got a stupid large bonus this year so I ordered one of these to go with my new OLED.

Anyome running one of these on a 4k display? It sounds like 720p is the even-est upscale, but I like the idea of trimming off a bit of the edges where overscan would taken them off anyway.

I liked the look of some of the 5x/6x variants in the YouTube videos from Digital Foundry, etc.

Getting a NES classic just made me crave one of these . NES classic still fun for portable NES.

I just got done playing around with mine and preferred the 1080p with mild overscan, strangely enough. Normally I'd be against such things but given that the games were designed with it in mind, I'll give it a pass. It helps that my particular 4K TV (a Vizio) seems to scale 1080p better than it does 720p.

Still haven't played around with the "jailbreak" cores. Looking forward to that tomorrow!

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I keep flip-flopping between the Nt mini and AVS and I'm honestly not sure what to get.

I'm leaning towards the AVS, as It helps that the it's almost a third of the price right now, for one, and I feel like the Nt mini has more features than I'll ever need, use, or even understand how to use.

Does anyone have both that can offer me a bit of sage advice?

For the record, I have a fairly standard 1080p HDTV and don't have a need for RGB output as I don't have display capable of such things.

Yes Boss!

I keep flip-flopping between the Nt mini and AVS and I'm honestly not sure what to get.

I'm leaning towards the AVS, as It helps that the it's almost a third of the price right now, for one, and I feel like the Nt mini has more features than I'll ever need, use, or even understand how to use.

For the record, I have a fairly standard 1080p HDTV and don't have a need for RGB output as I don't have display capable of such things.

The big differences are that Mini does up to 1080. Has a much deeper menu system. Has a built in everdrive type functionality, and adds some other neat systems like Master System, but most importantly can do both HDMI and analog video over either RGB or Component if you ever decide to use it.

AgeEighty

I know that Kevtris' unofficial firmware allows you to copy ROMs from cart including your game saves (I preserved my 30 year old Zelda II saves for all time this way!), but can anyone tell me if he has added or is planning to add the ability to copy saves back to the cart? The Kevtris thread is super long and I couldn't really find this information.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
The big differences are that Mini does up to 1080. Has a much deeper menu system. Has a built in everdrive type functionality, and adds some other neat systems like Master System, but most importantly can do both HDMI and analog video over either RGB or Component if you ever decide to use it.

Is 1080p really a big deal over 720p when we're talking about NES games?

Explain "deeper menu system".

I was probably going to pick up a proper everdrive anyway so I can use it on my actual NES and Famicom hardware. (Unsure if I should go for a NES cart to use on a Famicom with adapter of Famicom cart to use with NES with adapter though.)

Master System doesn't really matter as I don't have any Master System games.

Don't really see a need for RGB or Component when I likely won't dabble with tube TVs for the forseeable future, if ever.

AgeEighty

I was probably going to pick up a proper everdrive anyway so I can use it on my actual NES and Famicom hardware. (Unsure if I should go for a NES cart to use on a Famicom with adapter of Famicom cart to use with NES with adapter though.)

Don't really see a need for RGB or Component when I likely won't dabble with tube TVs for the forseeable future, if ever.

The unofficial firmware lets you make ROMs out of your carts, including the saves if there are any. I've already used that to preserve some saves I had from when I was a kid, which I'm incredibly grateful for.

NT mini also defaults to the FirebrandX color palette out of the box, which was developed using instruments to measure the output on a perfectly calibrated CRT, so it looks more true to the original than anything else. You can add the palette to the AVS but it's more work.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
The unofficial firmware lets you make ROMs out of your carts, including the saves if there are any. I've already used that to preserve some saves I had from when I was a kid, which I'm incredibly grateful for.

NT mini also defaults to the FirebrandX color palette out of the box, which was developed using instruments to measure the output on a perfectly calibrated CRT, so it looks more true to the original than anything else. You can add the palette to the AVS but it's more work.

If you have a 1080p set, it can be a pretty big deal. Many people are using these systems to avoid scaling on non-integer multiples.

Uggh, fuck. I wasn't looking forward to dropping $450 on a console right now. I was hoping I could be talked into an AVS instead.

TheWraith

That's the thing you don't need the physical games because it doesn't play those, it plays all Master System roms straight from SD card like an everdrive, just like all other 8 bit systems it supports!

Basically if you really care about 8bit gaming, you can't go wrong with the NT Mini. It might even get Megadrive/Genesis support down the line!

I have both the AVS and the Mini NT. I really enjoy the high scoreboard that the AVS offers on a range of games. I've had some problems with the scoreboard software on my windows laptop, but this could also be because it's running on a laptop that will go to sleep while I'm playing some long games.

The Analog Mini NT is a much, much greater value for the money. The mini nt can go up to 1080p, but along with the "unofficial" jailbreak firmware you can actually run games so far from 18 (or 19 if you count the sg1000) different systems. The unofficial firmware allows you to run games directly from an SD card with no need to purchase an additional flash cartridge. This also supports larger games on the NES that neither the everdrive or powerpak support.

To be honest since I got my Mini NT I haven't played on the AVS. I'm not regretting my purchase of the AVS and I will definitely be playing more in the future to fight it out to get some top scores.

Playing with the NT Mini today.

So far I really like 1080p & 5x/6x and original scanlines set on minimum depth.

For anyone else with this combo, the NT Mini wouldn't display on my LG OLED65E6P at all. Thought I might have had a brick at first. Tinkered with receiver and HDMI inputs and eventually got the TV to give me a "invalid input format" message.

Plugged into my LG ultrawide monitor and got a picture, it was on 1.6 firmware. Updated to 2.3 and it worked on my OLED. Swapped to Kevtris's firmware and it is working great.

Everything about the unit sounds great. Got to check one in person and liked it. The downside is that I purchased 4-6 -possibly more- of the other units and paid for the upgrade hdmi models and such. Have them as gifts and such. Kept a famicom colored one and another for myself.

The rca audio jacks stopped working on one of them and support has been difficult to deal with. ,15-20 emails in and they're basically telling me they can't help me-sounds like they aren't capable of in house repairs. Customer support's tone hadn't been nice either, despite me managing to keep my patience.

Kind of long winded but the tldr version-customer support can't help with a very expensive console even after I've spent so much with them and they have an attitude that isn't the best. I can't imagine it'd be any better if someone only bought one and had issues.

Shame. Was looking forward to buying a mini but not touching one unless they help me get this thing fixed. (I'm out of warranty bit have no issues paying)

McCHitman

Banned
I would love to see a NT Mini in person. But reading through this thread, it sure makes it sound like it's going to be an all in one retro console solution, especially since it runs things off an SD card.

It's kinda mind blowing. I really need this now. I could hook that up to my PVM and be done with it.

F34R

storafötter;238688487 said:
Up for pre order now. Limited quantities.

Just ordered mine. Feel like a crazy person for buying it but it will be worth it I know!

Best investment in retro I've made.

scaffa

I thought I was buying one today but forgot to factor in the shipping costs and the extra costs, that certainly will happen, due to import tax and added fees. Total would end up around $699.. I will pass..dammit!

I think I will save up some money and buy it next year, they are planning on making a new batch next year right? :)

I thought I was buying one today but forgot to factor in the shipping costs and the extra costs, that certainly will happen, due to import tax and added fees. Total would end up around $699.. I will pass..dammit!

I think I will save up some money and buy it next year, they are planning on making a new batch next year right? :)

It is pretty stingy indeed. 89 dollars shipping express plus 25% added in Taxes (for Norway). However I have no other means of getting this cheaper so it will be "one" of my one-off crazy purchases for years to come. The last one was the framemeister.

I am sure they will either make another batch or make some improvements.

Best investment in retro I've made.

Thats great to hear :) hehe.

storafötter;238694607 said:
It is pretty stingy indeed. 89 dollars shipping express plus 25% added in Taxes (for Norway). However I have no other means of getting this cheaper so it will be "one" of my one-off crazy purchases for years to come. The last one was the framemeister.

With the "unofficial jailbroken" firmware this is an amazing purchase worth every single penny. You are in for some awesome times playing many classic consoles and handhelds on the big screen of your tv.

With the "unofficial jailbroken" firmware this is an amazing purchase worth every single penny. You are in for some awesome times playing many classic consoles and handhelds on the big screen of your tv.

That is actually the main reason for why I am getting one. If I was to get an Everdrive and 8 bit separately, all of that would just add extra cost.

It is amazing how much value this thing has.

F34R

storafötter;238694607 said:

I struggled to make the money work for it, and it isn't that much compared to your cost. I am 100% happy with it. Even just using carts, I'm ok with it. Having the j/b firmware.. it makes it 200% ok for the price I had to pay.

Paskil

Well, y'all convinced me. Do we know when this batch ships out? I didn't see that anywhere when I ordered.

I would like to know this as well. I will be on a week vacation starting next weekend and for safety, I was ordering to a different address. However, she will be on the same week trip out of town. Not really looking to get it rained on or stolen.

No additional info was given in the purchase confirmation email, except that an additional tracking email would be sent as soon as it ships. Makes me think it's soon, like they are ready to ship now.

The email announcing this preorder said September shipping.

Says on the pre-order page:

I got an email from them a few weeks back that said these pre-orders would ship in September.

Thanks! I feel pretty dumb for not seeing it on the page.

Well, y'all convinced me. Do we know when this batch ships out? I didn't see that anywhere when I ordered.

I would like to know this as well. I will be on a week vacation starting next weekend and for safety, I was ordering to a different address. However, she will be on the same week trip out of town. Not really looking to get it rained on or stolen.

No additional info was given in the purchase confirmation email, except that an additional tracking email would be sent as soon as it ships. Makes me think it's soon, like they are ready to ship now.

Says on the pre-order page:

All pre-orders ship in September. Limited quantities available.

Top Bottom