• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Analyst Group: Sony To Blame for Nintendos Inability To Secure Third Party Games.

Biker19

Banned
I figured that this would be news, & sorry if this has already been posted:

Link.

The Japanese investment and market analysis firm ACE Securities released a report on Nintendo’s recent substantial reduction of the earning forecasts for the current fiscal year, and the document includes some information on what the company expects from the Corporate Management Policy Briefing that will be held by Satoru Iwata on January 30th.

"In the Corporate Management Policy Briefing on January 30th the company is going to describe the future business policy:

1: Dealing with content development risks due to the consecutive failure to launch with high performance the 3DS and the Wii U.
2: Response to the problem of the inability to secure third party titles caused by SCE (Sony Computer Entertainment) investing heavily in the marketing cost of multiplatform software.
3: Due to the soaring development costs of home consoles making difficult to ensure profitability, we hope to hear an answer on the building of a new business model."

It may seem a bit surprising to see Sony blamed for Nintendo’s struggle in securing third party titles for its consoles. I’m assuming the analyst who wrote the report was thinking about the Wii U and not about the 3DS here, because otherwise he’s overlooking one big name: Monster Hunter.

That said, we can definitely say that many keen eyes will be watching the briefing on the 30th. We’ll have to wait for that date to know whether Nintendo will steer its business policies around radically, or will keep marching straight on the same path.

Um, I wonder if the author of the article (as well as the analyst) realizes that it's more than just Nintendo not giving money to 3rd party publishers as to why they've been receiving poor 3rd party support?

644.gif

radcliff

Iwata once mentioned that there were a number of games that were supposed to come out for Wii that were moved to PSP once it had its Monster Hunter resurgence and how it hurt the Wii in terms of consistent game releases. I wonder if the Vita is similarly taking away games from Wii U.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I don't get what bullet-point 2 is supposed to say.

So since Sony is willing to help advertise third party games (and Nintendo presumably isn't), people are abandoning the Wii U?

I've actually heard it murmured several times around these parts in what seemed intelligent posts that Sony does a lot behind the scene [and have for a long time] to encourage, improve, and help 3rd Parties and get their support.

That ever since the PS1 they had things going in the background, like offering help with marketing, publishing etc. and have always enjoyed great 3rd party support because of this

hawk2025

Can't say I get it.

Yes, Sony competes with Nintendo. Is the actual article implying something insidious that I'm not quite understanding, maybe?

That still doesn't explain the crashes that third party games experience when they actually DO come out on Wii U. Seems like this firm should worry more about that instead.

DeviantBoi

Sony paying for marketing of third-party titles does not mean that they are exclusive to the PS4.

It makes no sense to have that as the reason why the Wii U is not getting third-party support.

Randdalf

I don't get what bullet-point 2 is supposed to say.

I think it's saying something along the lines of:

Sony: Hi Publisher, want some money to market your game?

Publisher: Hell yeah!

Sony: We'll only give it to you if you release it on PS3/PS4 and our platform is given priority in the marketing!

Publisher: Okay then.

DocSeuss

lol

Sony did "steal" the third parties using PS1 (home consoles) but I'm not sure what they are saying.

Sounds like Sony is basically offering to do the marketing for third-party games on their own consoles, reducing the cost for games overall (third parties wouldn't have to market; Sony does). Nintendo is not. So people are going with Sony and not prioritizing Nintendo.

Effect

Nintendo is to blame for their own problems.

We know Nintendo doesn't even bother to advertise their own games and systems in recent years. The exception being some hand held games. That they would even think of advertising third party games is laughable unless some deal is made to published but even then they don't bother. I can easily see Sony making that offer though to secure titles. However I don't think Sony should be blamed though. They're practicing good business if they are indeed doing this. Nintendo is the one to be blamed in the end due to their own bad decision making. They don't do want is required to make sure titles stay secure or to even secure titles in general.

Lol what utter bullshit. Sony spent huge amount of time energy and resources to build great relationships with third parties. The same way they are now building relationships with indie developers.

Nintendo has no one to blame but their selves for their abysmal third party support.

MDX

Seriously. I struggle to see how Nintendo isn't to blame.

There is no blame, its a bad business move for Nintendo to do so.

How is business going for Sony?
Didn't their stock just plunge, isn't their credit rated as junk?

2: Response to the problem of the inability to secure third party titles caused by SCE (Sony Computer Entertainment) investing heavily in the marketing cost of multiplatform software.

What does this mean? Are they saying Sony paid devs to not make Nintendo titles? Are they saying Sony subsidized development of 3rd party titles?

Oh. I was worried this was an actual statement from nintendo. It would've run very counter to the statements they'd been making lately that gave the impression they'd finally regained contact with the outside world. Hopefully Nintendo doesn't see read about this and see it as a way to offload blame.

Infinite

There's little incentive for third parties to actually port their multi platform titles to the Wii U especially considering that those games do worse on Nintendo platforms and that households who own Nintendo consoles typically own another console along with it so they'll reach those gamers anyways. Nintendo either needs to generate 3rd party exclusives tailored for its consoles or rely less on third parties and make those kinds of games themselves

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Can't say I get it.

Yes, Sony competes with Nintendo. Is the actual article implying something insidious that I'm not quite understanding, maybe?

It's saying that Sony helps pay for the substantial marketing costs of multiplatform games and because of that people are ignoring third parties on Nintendo platforms.

Yeah, I don't see how Sony is behind Nintendo's inability to do anything with third parties beyond Sony actually giving a shit about supporting third party studios.

Yusaku

It's not Sony's fault, it's Nintendo's. They have done a very poor job courting third parties and catering to their needs since the Gamecube.

Takao

Banned
I doubt Sony is paying third parties to not release games on Wii U in general, because that's what they would have to be doing for a lineup like this to be solely their fault.

Did they pinch the console Ni No Kuni?

PS3 Ni no Kuni was out for like a year before Wii U. In typical Level-5 fashion it just took a long time to come to the west.

bill0527

Nintendo has more money in the bank than some countries, they could do some marketing of their own if they weren't run by idiots.

Came to post this.

Nintendo has a nice mint sitting in the bank, while Sony, as a corporation is fucking broke.

Current Nintendo management absolutely refuses to open up the coffers and spend some money to build a competitive home console or spend any money trying to secure any third party support for it.

Riki

You gotta spend money to make money, and nintendo is not willing to go dutch on marketing 3rd party games, like Sony does.
Really depends, actually. Nintendo publishes and markets quite a few third party games.
All the Dragon Quest and Monster Hunter games on their systems only happened because of Nintendo publishing them in the West.
Braverly Defauly is only coming to the West because of Nintendo.
Same happened with Rayman in Japan and Epic Mickey.
It's not that Nintendo doesn't do it. It's that Sony does it better.

Let me get this straight... you're saying Nintendo, a company with a multi-billion dollar war chest, is getting outspent by chronically short on cash Sony, and this is Sony's fault?

I don't know what to say.

Top Bottom