• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Analyst - "One of my favorite studios, Tokyo-based FromSoftware, is currently rumored to be an M&A candidate for Sony."

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
What? The PS version of Elden ring had the least issues of the lot and the higher more stable framerate on consoles. Hardly "poor port", it was likely lead platform.

Sony release their games on all stores anyway too so I'm not sure where this Epic store thing is coming from either. Even if they do as long as it still comes to PC what's the issue. I mean a bunch of people here use the mandatory shit known as the windows/MS store of all things for their gamepass games and seem to cheerlead it and the MS acquisitions all the time.

It doesnt have VRR and within 2 weeks the xbox version was patched to be on par with performance but still has slower loading times. The xbox has VRR too so it was the best playing version if you had a compatible TV. I would now put the PS5 version in last place after the performance patches to PC and xbox. The only best way to play on the playstation is to play the PS4 version, unfortunately. It still fluctuates framerate and you really feel it on the PS5, which is a shame. This should be fixed once the VRR patch arrives though, so it's just a waiting game.

Microsoft, have released all their games on Steam over the last few years so no real point to bring that up.

As long as sony bring the games to steam then all good bbe! :) if it happens.

Last edited:
Inb4 banns. Don't worry mods I love both systems. Kisses xxxx

Edit I would really like to see From stay multi plat. Their games deserves to be played by as a wide audience as possible, and it's that large player base that makes the online parts of the game feel so alive.

Just my take on the matter.

Last edited:

Fredrik

So there really should be no concern for pc players about getting Fromsoft games at this point. If anything they should be glad considering how much better sonys last few PC ports have been versus Fromsofts.
Can’t compare doing late PC ports with doing multiple platform releases day 1. I’ll be glad when I actually see good day 1 releases and we’re not there yet, even MS is struggling and it’s their OS.

jigglet

Banned
As long as Sony doesn't block day 1 PC releases then I'm ok with this.

But realistically, that's going to happen isn't it?

FingerBang

The rumor has been circulating for a while. I heard it from a couple of different sources, including one close to Sony.

But again, when you hear the rumor, just assume the intention is there, not that it's a done deal.

I personally don't think this strategically makes much sense, it would be some kind of prestige acquisition. I can also assure you Sony has another exclusive game coming from FS, we might see a teaser later this year.

Friendly reminder to the organic crowd that DeS exists because of Sony and without that game you wouldn't even know who From Software is. 😶

Three

Microsoft, have released all their games on Steam over the last few years so no real point to bring that up.
So have Sony when they release a game on PC though so where is this Epic store thing coming from?

As for Elden Ring even post patch PS5 framerate is still higher. The patch only helped the xboxs really low framerates where even VRR was failing because it was lower than the displays limit for VRR.

Fredrik

Yeah and in extreme cases people buy a PS or Xbox and a Switch. it does not make sense for most people to get all of them.
Agreed again. We need to stop and think about the consequences instead of applauding studio acquisition and want salty tears. We’re all to blame here really for not instantly frowning at it. We’re acting like sports fans. I’m sure I said something stupid after the Bethesda thing too, some dumb cave man take on the whole thing, should know better as a gray man, sorry.

Zeroing

Banned
Agreed again. We need to stop and think about the consequences instead of applauding studio acquisition and want salty tears. We’re all to blame here really for not instantly frowning at it. We’re acting like sports fans. I’m sure I said something stupid after the Bethesda thing too, some dumb cave man take on the whole thing, should know better as a gray man, sorry.
I remember being one of the fews there really trying to explain that this is a no win situation to anyone... I got a lot of heat over that.
The ball is already rolling, people already gave it a free pass twice... so other companies will do it. I keep reiterating that we need to think as 1 group - people who love gaming.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Damn so zero chance of an Otogi Remake?
Ohh well as long as Sony pressures them to actually optimize their games im all in......ohh and as long as they still release on PC.

ParaSeoul

Best Souls games were all made under Sony anyway
Tv Series GIF by NETFLIX

Godot25

Banned
I honestly don't think Tencent would be happy about it. And if it will come to "bidding war" between Sony and Tencent we all know who would win...

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
So have Sony when they release a game on PC though so where is this Epic store thing coming from?

As for Elden Ring even post patch PS5 framerate is still higher. The patch only helped the xboxs really low framerates where even VRR was failing because it was lower than the displays limit for VRR.

The framerate is more or less identical and the xbox has vrr which I have so for me personally the ps5 version is the worst version.

Yeah, I must be mistaken about the epic store thing then. Ignore me on that.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
From
Kojima
Take 2

Sony doesn’t need to make more acquisitions… Jimbo will be remembered as God.
sony can't afford take two.

they could get kojima...but he wants to stay independant. they could go for From Software but they should've done that in 2015. their value has gone right up this year.

bitbydeath

Posted before, Sony have already since purchased one of the below mentioned studios. It makes sense they’d go after the remaining three too.

Hermen Hulst: Haven, Firewalk, but also teams we’ve worked with over years, like Kojima Productions, From Software.

To me, in many ways, there really is no difference. They’re all PlayStation Studios.

20cent

Banned
"[...] One of my favorite studios, Tokyo-based FromSoftware [...]" the guy is talking about From like they're a niche studio selling few thousands copies but with a promising future

Believer in Japan. CEO of Tokyo-based game industry consultancy http://en.kantan-games.co.jp Economics PhD. Ex-慶應義塾大学. 7-lingual. I am German.
4f6113d714713dc3d74e37a69e6b2bef.gif

bitbydeath

And I remember the official Sony twitter account who barely tweets about their own PlayStation games, advertising Elden Ring! Didn’t made sense back then maybe kinda makes sense now!
Yep, they’ve put Kojimas game on their first party dev list and also inadvertently called From Software a first party PS studio on their PS Blog.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
this guy is not reporting the rumor as coming from his own source.
"[...] One of my favorite studios, Tokyo-based FromSoftware [...]" the guy is talking about From like they're a niche studio selling few thousands copies but with a promising future

4f6113d714713dc3d74e37a69e6b2bef.gif

he's not even reporting the rumor as coming from his own source. he just wanted to tell an anecdote about their early valuation of 22.5M in 2014 which was an asbolute steal. read the whole tweet chain.

of course, the same people who think the nvidia leak is fake and abandoned is a secret sony funded silent hill will ignore this. kodokawa is huge and has a bunch of outside investments from tencent, etc. no chance they would sell their golden goose.

yazenov

Sony buying Kodokawa is more than just acquiring From Software. They are basically killing many birds with one stone. Anime / Manga/ and games just to name a few. Its inline with their other acquisitions such is Crunchyroll and Funimation.

Plus, they have a long standing relation with From Software so its a win win situation for both parties.

Zeroing

Banned
Sony buying Kodokawa is more than just acquiring From Software. They are basically killing many birds with one stone. Anime / Manga/ and games just to name a few. Its inline with their other acquisitions such is Crunchyroll and Funimation.

Plus, they have a long standing relation with From Software so its a win win situation for both parties.
Ok makes sense since Sony is trying to become disney 2.0

But is the price even realistic?

They're not going to go out and buy the system.

See the demand for a bloodborne pc port.
The demand has more to do with being able to play the game at 60Hz and eliminate the frame pacing issues (not to mention load times)
Of course they would buy the system if From went 1st party, what a no brainer. Besides most already are into the ecosystem anyway. A PC player doesn't necessarily play games only on PC, people do own multiple systems.

trust me, hardcore PC fanbase will not go out and buy a PS5/PS6 by the millions. It wouldnt happen. Some would but a lot would just wait.
"Hardcore" PC gamers already own multiple systems to play. Unless you're talking MMO exclusive or e-sports players, but those aren't the From Software audience to begin with.

Mr Moose

It would be a Sony acquisition, because it'll be the parent being bought, I doubt it would just be From.
The framerate is more or less identical and the xbox has vrr which I have so for me personally the ps5 version is the worst version.

Yeah, I must be mistaken about the epic store thing then. Ignore me on that.
Where did you read/see that? It isn't yet, though maybe with today's patch?

Whitout a doubt one of the best acquisition targets out there. Sony doesn't necessarily have to buy the parent company as most people seem to think, Kadokawa isn't that invested in console games.

From Software could use the help on the technical side and a bigger budget.
If this is true, it just goes to show how reactionary Sony is and why they have no vision.

They only want to purchase FROM software because of their big Elden Ring hit.....

I know a lot of you love Sony, but they really turn me off. Not because they want to purchase FROM Software, but because they are so out of touch and have no serious vision on what they really want.
They just react because Microsoft is buying studios, so they go buying studios, Elden Ring was huge, so they want to have more sales...

It's really just all about this $$$$$$. No real passion, no real vision... They just are looking for the next big hit to pull in more $$$$$$$.
Better to have no vision than to have a vision of turning console games in Mobile gaming 2.0.

Sony has been releasing great games and consoles for decades, thats all that matters.

Last edited:

TheTony316

NOTE: This is NOT a troll post, but how I really feel. I am sorry if I am getting on people's nerves here, but I have to tell it like I see it.

I mean is Sony who the entire industry really needs at this point????

1) No vision for their gaming division
2) No Passion for gaming
3) Just going to buy studios to do service games to make a lot more $$$$$$
4) Microtransactions just to make a lot more $$$$$$$$
5) Everything Sony does is to make money, this is what they are really chasing. They are not trying to help the consumers, it's just $$$$$$
6) $70 dollar games on PS5. GT7 has more trees, is that really worth a tax??? More $$$$$$$$$$$$

I am not trying to make people angry here, but I just need to get this off my chest...

Is Sony really needed in the gaming industry anymore? If so why????

kek, good riddance.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
FromSoft would be monstrous but that price went wayyyy up after Elden Rings well deserved success. Unless Take 2 includes Rockstar I don’t see that having much value outside of Borderlands and Bioshock.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I doubt they are being acquired but this line of thinking never made sense to me. Of course after Elden Ring, companies usually get bought when they can get the most value for them, thats would be now.

Do people think Fromsoft or even kadokawa went from being worth 3 billion to 8 billion because elden ring sold 12 million copies, which they don’t own the rights to? Lol
You don't know what you are talking about.

zedinen

Video games stocks are getting crushed by Microsoft and the global inflation.

Publishers are becoming dirt-cheap, especially in real terms.

From now on, everything will depend on regulators and Sony Group CEO.

Market cap (1Y)

EA $34.35 bn (-12.51%)

Take-Two $15.67 bn (-23.73%)

Bandai Namco $15.66 bn (+11.41%)

Embracer $8.03 bn (-42.70%)

Capcom $6.31 bn (-15.68%)

Koei Tecmo $5.23 bn (-21.82%)

Square Enix $4.90 bn (-20.43%)

Ubisoft $4.78 bn (-45.82%)

Sega Sammy $4.73 bn (+41.83%)

CD Projekt $3.60 bn (-13.28%)

Kadokawa $3.55 bn (+41.85%)

Remedy $495 m (-28.19%)

USD to YEN 128.28 yen

USD to EUR 0.93 euro

USD to SEK 9.59 krona

USD to ZLOTY 4.30 złoty

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It would be a Sony acquisition, because it'll be the parent being bought, I doubt it would just be From.

Digital foundry did a quick revisit and it was more or less identical bar a few occasions that it was slightly behind and hopefully its been improved.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

Does not appear to be any change on that front, you load up the "lake" and it still noticeable (XSX here with VRR on, so I would say it's like at ~40 FPS).

Why am I such a trash of remembering names. I mean that place, which is water and some buildings, which are mostly sank up to a roof, small friendly crabs around, etc.

Last edited:
Video games stocks are getting crushed by Microsoft and the global inflation.

Publishers are becoming dirt-cheap, especially in real terms.

From now on, everything will depend on regulators and Sony Group CEO.

Market cap (1Y)

EA $34.35 bn (-12.51%)

Take-Two $15.67 bn (-23.73%)

Bandai Namco $15.66 bn (+11.41%)

Embracer $8.03 bn (-42.70%)

Capcom $6.31 bn (-15.68%)

Koei Tecmo $5.23 bn (-21.82%)

Square Enix $4.90 bn (-20.43%)

Ubisoft $4.78 bn (-45.82%)

Sega Sammy $4.73 bn (+41.83%)

CD Projekt $3.60 bn (-13.28%)

Kadokawa $3.55 bn (+41.85%)

Remedy $495 m (-28.19%)

USD to YEN 128.28 yen

USD to EUR 0.93 euro

USD to SEK 9.59 krona

USD to ZLOTY 4.30 złoty
SE is a steal at that price. Good studios and IPs held back by bad leadership.

Mr Moose

Digital foundry did a quick revisit and it was more or less identical bar a few occasions that it was slightly behind and hopefully its been improved.
This?

Does not appear to be any change on that front, you load up the "lake" and it still noticeable (XSX here with VRR on, so I would say it's like at ~40 FPS).

Why am I such a trash of remembering names. I mean that place, which is water and some buildings, which are mostly sank up to a roof, small friendly crabs around, etc.
Liurnia of the Lakes? I had to Google it, I am shit with names too lol.

CosmicComet

This is obviously not happening.

Sony just doesn't have the juice to buy Kadokawa.

Sure they have the funds in terms of Kadokawa's net worth but not enough to convince them that it would be worth it to sell out to Sony.

They simply don't need to be with them exclusively after Elden Ring.

Last edited:

Unknown?

Where are all those posters claiming this would be stupid like with Kojima? After all From Soft is only great if they have Miyazaki, if he leaves it will be a name with no substance.

Top Bottom