• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Analyzing PlayStation's Exclusive Software Output

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
PlayStation players are feeling insecure about choice of their hardware now that Starfield and Halo Infinite are likely dropping back to back.

This thread is an attempt at group hug, to collectively make them all feel better.

"See we are getting soooo many games too. No need to panic".

I think it's pathetic and everyone can see through that.

This thread got what it deserved.
Seriously? Tone down the console war mindset, boy.
  1. No one is feeling insecure, as this thread also proves that PlayStation never had any scarcity of high-quality exclusive games.
  2. If you think that both Starfield and Halo Infinite are releasing this year, I don't know what to say ...
  3. Starfield is an unknown IP. Even high-profile Bethesda IPs like Fallout couldn't outsell PlayStation exclusives like Uncharted, TLOU, or God of War despite being available for years on ALL platforms.
  4. Halo Infinite? Well, it is literally a meme at this point until and unless 343 reverses the situation.
No one is scared of these two games. Stop being so insecure please. It's embarassing.

SSfox

PlayStation players are feeling insecure about choice of their hardware now that Starfield and Halo Infinite are likely dropping back to back.

This thread is an attempt at group hug, to collectively make them all feel better.

what-the-hell-5b064f.jpg

The only thing to be scare of is if Microsoft will still have the same lame generation as Xbox One generation, and so far it's at that same low level.

Meanwhile you guys keep talking about games that don't exist, that haven't show anything and will come in years, i mean of course what else can you do when nothing exist in Xbox right now, right? While PS players already can talk about games that actually "EXISTS", cause PS5 already have many great exclusive that people can talk about in a concrete way just half a year after its release. Now please let the people enjoy their new next gen experience, you can go back to play old stuffs in you sub service if it's what you enjoy most, sorry but not everyone have the same taste, so.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

1000x-1.jpg

What a pathetic and pitiful existence.

Tutomos

After Fallout 76 and Halo Infinite's showing last year, I don't think Sony has anything to worry about. How can someone pin their hopes on Starfield when no gameplay has shown is beyond me. All I see is one fanbase base their excitement on reality, the other fanbase base theirs on hopes and dreams.

Last edited:

mansoor1980

you see this user on neogaf MR NEIL DRUCKMANN, he REALLY MAD

maxresdefault.jpg

AlexxKidd

065.gif

What? Lol. I don't think anyone is feeling like that, troll much?

yurinka

*long, cool OP*
Hi, Ghostwire Tokyo has an October 2021 release date in wikipedia and GoWR a 2021. Why do you put them as 2022 games instead of 2021 games?

Some extra info for the OP, last year Sony invested $300M since April to March on signing new 2nd party games for the next up to 7 years (so the PS5 generation).
o5iokLX.png

If you want to further improve the OP by adding more games, I remember Street Fighter V Champion Edition was released February 2020. But if you want a more complete list of current and announced exclusives for each console, there is this website, it's for PS4 but they also have it for PS5, XBO or Series X|S: https://www.gematsu.com/exclusives/ps4

The Gematsu list is useful to find many obscure PS Japanese exclusives that aren't very well known here.

In wikipedia there also lists the games published by some companies, like in this case Sony. It's useful to detect obscure VR or casual family party games that Sony publishes and many people don't know or forgot: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Sony_Interactive_Entertainment_video_games

Great post btw. Yes, Sony has been publishing more exclusives than MS (even more if you include VR and casual party games) and will continue doing it for at least some years. And yes, Sony also got more 3rd party exclusives both AAA and indie, both western and Japanese and seems will continue getting more.

If you also want to compare the 'quality' of the first party pubilshed games, Metacritic every years releases the average for the top publishers, so you could get there the Sony and MS ones for the recent years (at least last year). Or you can also check out that counts the GOTY awards each game got to count every year (or at least last year).

Last edited:

3liteDragon

Sony's output in the past ~10 years = TPP story-driven games. So if you're into those kind of games you'll have a lot of titles to choose from, but if you're seeking something else then PC/XB/NSW is your best bet. Rumors say they'll also invest in MP-oriented titles this gen, but that's yet to be proven. Wish they did a lot more racers as well, as Wipeout and Motorstorm are some of the best racing IPs ever, but who knows, they aren't officially dead in any way, so there's always a chance.
I hope we get some legit first-party RPG’s from them this gen along with the usual style games.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Hi, Ghostwire Tokyo has an October 2021 release date and GoWR a 2021. Why do you put them as 2022 games instead of 2021 games?

Some extra info for the OP, last year Sony invested $300M since April to March on signing new 2nd party games for the next up to 7 years (so the PS5 generation).
o5iokLX.png

If you want to further improve the OP adding more games, I remember Street Fighter V Champion Edition was released February 2020. But if you want a more complete list of current and announced exclusives for each console, there is this website, it's for PS4 but they also have it for PS5, XBO or Series X|S: https://www.gematsu.com/exclusives/ps4

The Gematsu list is useful to find many obscure PS Japanese exclusives that aren't very well known here.

In wikipedia there also lists the games published by some companies, like in this case Sony. It's useful to detect obscure VR or casual family party games that Sony publishes and many people don't know or forgot: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Sony_Interactive_Entertainment_video_games

Great post btw. Yes, Sony has been publishing more exclusives than MS (even more if you include VR and casual party games) and will continue doing it for at least some years. And yes, Sony also got more 3rd party exclusives both AAA and indie, both western and Japanese and seems will continue getting more.

If you also want to compare the 'quality' of the first party pubilshed games, Metacritic every years releases the average for the top publishers, so you could get there the Sony and MS ones for the recent years (at least last year). Or you can also check out that counts the GOTY awards each game got to count every year (or at least last year).

It seems more like Ghostwire and GOWR will be delayed to 2022, so I put them in 2022, because I didn't want to make it look like I'm artificially inflating games per year and over-hyping this whole thing. I got blamed for doing just that anyway though lol.

And I knew but did forget about the $300 million investment for second-party games. Thanks for reminding me of that as well as sharing these links.

yurinka

5-6 average games going against Starfield and Halo Infinite isn't enough for 2021.

They need God of War too if they wanna compete, along with Horizon.
I may be wrong but the most recent games of these studios are Fallout 76 and Halo 5, games that have not the best Metacritic and amount of GOTY earnt or nominations when compared to the most recent games of the guys making Ratchet, GoWR and Horizon 2.

Remember that as of now Starfield being released in 2021 and GoWR in 2022 are just a rumor.

What is offficial as of now is that in the next half a hear or so we'll have mostly Halo Infinite + Psychonauts 2 vs Ratchet + Horizon 2 + GoWR + Guilty Gear Strive + Final Fantasy VII Remake - Intergrade + Kena (plus Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo that are somewhere in the middle of both).

It's MS who needs more stuff to compete, not Sony. It's a fact that in the recent years Sony released more exclusives, they had better Metacritic and get more GOTY awards and nominations. They also sell more games for their consoles (over 1500 million games sold for PS4, gaming history record, where only a tiny fraction are Betheda games), sell more consoles and make more money from game subscriptions, and hell they make more money from the entire division too. MS is improving, but still needs to continue improving to compete against Sony.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I may be wrong but the most recent games of these studios are Fallout 76 and Halo 5, games that have not the best Metacritic and amount of GOTY earnt or nominations when compared to the most recent games of the guys making Ratchet, GoWR and Horizon 2.

Remember that as of now Starfield being released in 2021 and GoWR in 2022 are just a rumor.

What is offficial as of now is that in the next half a hear or so we'll have mostly Halo Infinite + Psychonauts 2 vs Ratchet + Horizon 2 + GoWR + Guilty Gear Strive + Final Fantasy VII Remake - Intergrade + Kena (plus Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo that are somewhere in the middle of both).

It's MS who needs more stuff to compete, not Sony. It's a fact that in the recent years Sony released more exclusives, they had better Metacritic and get more GOTY awards and nominations. They also sell more games for their consoles (over 1500 million games sold for PS4, gaming history record, where only a tiny fraction are Betheda games), sell more consoles and make more money from game subscriptions, and hell they make more money from the entire division too. MS is improving, but still needs to continue improving to compete against Sony.
Apart from critical failure, the games weren't commercial successes either.

Fallout 76, for example, could not even beat Fallout 3 and Fallout 4 in sales. Fallout 4, which is the best-selling Fallout in the history of the franchise, only sold roughly 4 million copies on Xbox and 13.6 million copies on ALL platforms since 2015. In comparison, Horizon Zero Dawn sold 10 million in 12 months on just PS4.

Skyrim also sold just 11 million copies on Xbox 360 + Xbox One. In comparison, God of War sold 21 million copies just on PS4.

Sony's games are better than these aforementioned IPs, both commercially and critically (and this is based on numbers and data, not subjective opinions).

Apart from critical failure, the games weren't commercial successes either.

Fallout 76, for example, could not even beat Fallout 3 and Fallout 4 in sales. Fallout 4, which is the best-selling Fallout in the history of the franchise, only sold roughly 4 million copies on Xbox and 13.6 million copies on ALL platforms since 2015. In comparison, Horizon Zero Dawn sold 10 million in 12 months on just PS4.

Skyrim also sold just 11 million copies on Xbox 360 + Xbox One. In comparison, God of War sold 21 million copies just on PS4.

Sony's games are better than these aforementioned IPs, both commercially and critically (and this is based on numbers and data, not subjective opinions).
God of War is by no metric a more successful IP than Elder Scrolls.

yurinka

According to wikipedia, as of January 2020 the most recent Elder Scrolls game sold 13.5 million copies, has a yellow Metacritic and is available on Windows, MacOs, PS4, PS5, XBO, Series X|S and Stadia. Pete Hines called it the most successful Bethesda game from the 2017-2021 period.

The most recent God of War game sold more being available only PS4, has a 94 Metacritic and won many GOTY awards. Now it's also available on PS5.

So not sure if the next Elder Scrolls will sell more than God of War if not released on PlayStation. And not sure it will have a higher MC and will win more GOTY awards than GoWR.

Last edited:
According to wikipedia, as of January 2020 the most recent Elder Scrolls game sold 13.5 million copies and is available on Windows, MacOs, PS4, PS5, XBO, Series X|S and Stadia. Pete Hines called it the most successful Bethesda game from the 2017-2021 period.

The most recent God of War game sold more being available only PS4. Now it's also available on PS5.
Doesn't invalidate what I said.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
As an IP, perhaps no. But then Elder Scrolls has been around for far longer, and it was available on all platforms. A lot of that credit will go to PlayStation as well. While God of War is relatively newer and has been always limited to a single console. However, I was only referring to their last games (Skyrim and God of War 2018) and now dividing those numbers per console because that's how the future will look like.

So Skyrim sold more than 30 million copies on PS3 + Xbox 360 + PS4 + Xbox One + PC + Nintendo Switch. God of War (2018) sold roughly 21 million copies on just PS4 alone. Out of those 30 million copies, Skyrim would have sold what ~6-7 million copies on Xbox? It'd be 15-17 million copies for PC + Xbox.

So by comparison, God of War will likely be a bigger deal on PlayStation than Elder Scrolls VI will be on Xbox.

Last edited:

yurinka

Doesn't invalidate what I said.
As of now, if we look at their most recent game from each IP (not counting mobile or Switch port), God of War performed better in the sales, reviews and awards metrics.

And that's considering it's exclusive and the other one is multiplatform.

As an IP, perhaps no. But then Elder Scrolls has been around for far longer, and it was available on all platforms. A lot of that credit will go to PlayStation as well. While God of War is relatively newer and has been always limited to a single console. However, I was only referring to their last games (Skyrim and God of War 2018) and now dividing those numbers per console because that's how the future will look like.

So Skyrim sold more than 30 million copies on PS3 + Xbox 360 + PS4 + Xbox One + PC + Nintendo Switch. God of War (2018) sold roughly 21 million copies on just PS4 alone. Out of those 30 million copies, Skyrim would have sold what ~6-7 million copies on Xbox? It'd be 15-17 million copies for PC + Xbox.

So by comparison, God of War will likely be a bigger deal on PlayStation than Elder Scrolls VI will be on Xbox.
On top of that you also have to consider GoW was released in 2018 and Skyrim in 2011. So Skyrim also may have achieved way lower price points, included in more game subscription services like Plus/Gold/GP/Now/etc, bundles, etc.

P.S.: The most recent Elder Scrolls game is Elder Scrolls Online, but I understand why you may not count it.

Last edited:

Zoro7

Banned
As of now, if we look at their most recent games, God of War performed better in the sales, reviews and awards metrics.

And that's considering it's exclusive and the other one is multiplatform.
CCCCCCCC-COMBO BREAKER.
Well said though. People are going to ignore facts but it doesn’t change them.

You mentioned IP, so I compared IP. TES is definitely the bigger IP, in part because it's multiplatform. It's huge on PC. And PC is part of Gamepass.

GoW 2018 was the first God of War game that did really big numbers. We'll see what the future will bring.
On top of that you also have to consider GoW was released in 2018 and Skyrim in 2011. So Skyrim also may have achieved way lower price points, included in more game subscription services like Plus/Gold/GP/Now/etc, bundles, etc.
To be fair, GoW dropped in price very quickly. I remember buying it for 30 bucks 6 months after release or so. Since then the price has been as low as $9.99.

kikii

What is offficial as of now is that in the next half a hear or so we'll have mostly Halo Infinite + Psychonauts 2 vs Ratchet + Horizon 2 + GoWR + Guilty Gear Strive + Final Fantasy VII Remake - Intergrade + Kena (plus Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo
Psychonauts 2 is also on ps4 :p

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Same. When the games drop -- and if they are indeed good enough for me to part ways with $500 -- I'll buy an XSX and play them. But I don't see a future where I switch from PlayStation solely to Xbox.

I'm excited for Hellblade II and Avowed and looking forward to seeing their gameplay footage.
Yeah I have a dream of this Fable reboot being like The Witcher 3 but with better melee. I'd definitely get a XSX for that but PS5 will be my primary console

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.

Idk about that one lol Playstation guys like myself have been eating good

Zeroing

Banned

Lol you should see the gamepass main thread, even the Xbox fanboys talk about Sony non stop. So in conclusion if a fan base is feeling insecure is Xbox fans…

this is just ridiculous, the pointing fingers at each other will never turn into anything enlightening.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Lol you should see the gamepass main thread, even the Xbox fanboys talk about Sony non stop. So in conclusion if a fan base is feeling insecure is Xbox fans…

this is just ridiculous, the pointing fingers at each other will never turn into anything enlightening.

Looking at it now, looks like some hoopla about ea conversions, and people talking about games. Nothing to do with Sony…

maybe got confused with another forum?

5-6 average games going against Starfield and Halo Infinite isn't enough for 2021.

They need God of War too if they wanna compete, along with Horizon.
What have you seen from Starfield and Halo Infinite that makes you think those games ain't enough to compete?

Personally, I'd take a game which has raving review scores (Returnal), and amazing demo videos and previews (Rachet & Clank) over a logo and few bad screenshots (Starfield), and a failed, unexciting and ugly demo video (Halo Infinite).

Not to mention the developers messed up the games prior to Starfield and Halo Infinite.

Last edited:

kikii

Looking at it now, looks like some hoopla about ea conversions, and people talking about games. Nothing to do with Sony…

maybe got confused with another forum?
he/she prolly means >>>

Varteras

Gold Member
Something that a lot of people grossly underestimate are third party exclusive titles. You don't need to match your competition in sheer number of first party studios. At the end of the day it doesn't matter THAT much where the exclusives came from. As long as enough of them simply came and enough were great. Persona 5, Journey, Demon's Souls, Shadow of the Colossus, Bloodborne, Final Fantasy XIV, Odin Sphere, Final Fantasy VII Remake, Spider-Man, Nioh, Street Fighter V, Ni no Kuni 2, etc. That's just a short list of games made by third parties at the time that, at least for now, didn't come out on any other console. Those are all highly praised titles and some of them sold very, very well. Sony's exclusive output has never been limited to its own first party. It will certainly grow its first party over time and I fully expect some acquisitions over the course of the generation. But even if that doesn't happen it won't prevent a lot of PS5 exclusives from being made.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
he/she prolly means >>>

Yeah that’s what I’m looking at, once EviLore changed the OP and made it clear what the thread was for it been fine. Granted few pages before current had some Sony Trolls causing trouble but think they were thread banned so all there is talk about new games and news at this point.

Another soul projecting his traumatic experience with xbone.

Corndog

Banned
Seriously? Tone down the console war mindset, boy.
  1. No one is feeling insecure, as this thread also proves that PlayStation never had any scarcity of high-quality exclusive games.
  2. If you think that both Starfield and Halo Infinite are releasing this year, I don't know what to say ...
  3. Starfield is an unknown IP. Even high-profile Bethesda IPs like Fallout couldn't outsell PlayStation exclusives like Uncharted, TLOU, or God of War despite being available for years on ALL platforms.
  4. Halo Infinite? Well, it is literally a meme at this point until and unless 343 reverses the situation.
No one is scared of these two games. Stop being so insecure please. It's embarassing.
How many sales did Skyrim have?

Corndog

Banned
Something that a lot of people grossly underestimate are third party exclusive titles. You don't need to match your competition in sheer number of first party studios. At the end of the day it doesn't matter THAT much where the exclusives came from. As long as enough of them simply came and enough were great. Persona 5, Journey, Demon's Souls, Shadow of the Colossus, Bloodborne, Final Fantasy XIV, Odin Sphere, Final Fantasy VII Remake, Spider-Man, Nioh, Street Fighter V, Ni no Kuni 2, etc. That's just a short list of games made by third parties at the time that, at least for now, didn't come out on any other console. Those are all highly praised titles and some of them sold very, very well. Sony's exclusive output has never been limited to its own first party. It will certainly grow its first party over time and I fully expect some acquisitions over the course of the generation. But even if that doesn't happen it won't prevent a lot of PS5 exclusives from being made.
Sony definitely has an advantage in third party Japanese games. At least Xbox seems to be trying to narrow this a bit.

Corndog

Banned

So no fans of the ip will get a pc or Xbox to play then next installment? That makes no sense.

Last edited:

elliot5

So not a fuck load then?
No, it was a fuck load. Mega ton. Todd Howard sells Skyrim now on a monthly basis to all game pass subscribers, so the sales are incalculable at this point. It has reached a critical mass and will soon envelop us all. Todd Howard you god damn genius.

ZehDon

There isn't much doubt about Sony's quality of exclusive games, but there seems to be a general consensus that Sony needs more exclusives...
Kind of a false premise there, OP; the issue isn't the number of exclusives, the issue is what those exclusives are. Over the course of the last generation, virtual every major Sony studio moved towards homogenisation of concepts: cinematic third person action adventure games with open-world-RPG elements. This gave rise to the Sony Game Formula®, which while mocked for its one-note delivery (hold forward -> cut scene -> static action set piece -> cutscene -> forced walking segment to listen to dialog -> cutscene), has certainly proven successful for Sony and enjoyable for gamers. But, much like myself having grown tired of the Ubisoft Game Formula®, the Sony Game Formula® has largely run its course for me, and I want to see what else these developers can do. With the PS5, virtually every major Sony exclusive is a cinematic third person action adventure game with open-world-RPG elements, with games like Gran Turismo notably standing out in the line up. Over in the green team, Microsoft are at least trying to deliver some diversity in its content: turn based tactics games, FPS games, strategy games, third person horror games, RPGs - there's a breadth of content that appeals to be much more than the Sony Game Formula® currently does. Sony hasn't taken steps to address this, and doesn't appear to want to. And that's fine: it's a strategy that worked for the PS4, I'm sure they'll see great success with the PS5. But it's a strategy that no longer really appeals to me - and it's clear I'm not really alone in this opinion.

Kind of a false premise there, OP; the issue isn't the number of exclusives, the issue is what those exclusives are. Over the course of the last generation, virtual every major Sony studio moved towards homogenisation of concepts: cinematic third person action adventure games with open-world-RPG elements. This gave rise to the Sony Game Formula®, which while mocked for its one-note delivery (hold forward -> cut scene -> static action set piece -> cutscene -> forced walking segment to listen to dialog -> cutscene), has certainly proven successful for Sony and enjoyable for gamers. But, much like myself having grown tired of the Ubisoft Game Formula®, the Sony Game Formula® has largely run its course for me, and I want to see what else these developers can do. With the PS5, virtually every major Sony exclusive is a cinematic third person action adventure game with open-world-RPG elements, with games like Gran Turismo notably standing out in the line up. Over in the green team, Microsoft are at least trying to deliver some diversity in its content: turn based tactics games, FPS games, strategy games, third person horror games, RPGs - there's a breadth of content that appeals to be much more than the Sony Game Formula® currently does. Sony hasn't taken steps to address this, and doesn't appear to want to. And that's fine: it's a strategy that worked for the PS4, I'm sure they'll see great success with the PS5. But it's a strategy that no longer really appeals to me - and it's clear I'm not really alone in this opinion.

this past year Sony has released Dreams, Demons Souls, Astros Playroom, Sackboy, and Returnal

this post is completely false

ZehDon

this past year Sony has released Dreams, Demons Souls, Astros Playroom, Sackboy, and Returnal

this post is completely false
Dreams, Astros Playroom and Sackboy are all smaller titles - or at least, with smaller impact. The latter two are made by smaller developers, one of which is included as "smaller games" in the OP. My post specifically addresses "major Sony studios". Returnal and Demons Souls are both third person action adventure games with open world RPG elements.

Might I suggest reading a post before responding to it. It makes for better discussions.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
There isn't much doubt about Sony's quality of exclusive games, but there seems to be a general consensus that Sony needs more exclusives. This notion has gained more traction ever since Xbox grew its first-party studios to 23 over the last couple of years.

Matt Booty, Head of Xbox Game Studios, once told IGN that the plan for Xbox is to release one AAA exclusive game every 3 months [to keep Gamepass users engaged]. All the studio acquisition by Xbox was a part of this plan.

So how does Sony's exclusive software output compare with this plan of their biggest direct competitor?

To answer that question, I analyzed PlayStation's last two years and rounded up some of the more notable exclusive games (full, console, and timed) they have released that aren't available on Xbox as of this writing. There are, of course, plenty of other smaller and Japanese titles that I haven't included because of time constraints. Here is a quick rundown.

Iwy0nOf.png

PlayStation Console Exclusives (2020)

Bigger Games in 2020:
  • Nioh 2 (March 13, 2020)
  • Final Fantasy VII Remake (April 10, 2020)
  • Marvel’s Iron Man VR (May 15, 2020)
  • The Last of Us Part II (June 17, 2020)
  • Ghost of Tsushima (July 18, 2020)
  • Sackboy (Nov 12, 2020)
  • Spider-Man Miles Morales (Nov 12, 2020)
  • Demon’s Souls (Nov 12, 2020)
  • Godfall (Nov 12, 2020)
Mid-tier and Smaller Games in 2020:
  • Dreams (February 14, 2020)
  • Predator: Hunting Grounds (April 24, 2020)
  • Genshin Impact (September 28, 2020)
  • Astrobot (Nov 12, 2020)
  • The Pathless (Nov 12, 2020)
  • 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim (November 2020). Suggested by @PropellerEar

Output in 2020:
  • 15 exclusive games.
  • 9 big exclusive games.
  • One big exclusive game every 1.3 months or every 39 days.

PlayStation Console Exclusives (2021)

The following games are expected to be released in 2021. More games will also likely be announced next month.

Bigger Games in 2021:
  • Hitman 3 PSVR (Jan 20, 2021)
  • Disco Elysium: Final Cut (March 30, 2021)
  • Returnal (April 30, 2021)
  • Ratchet & Clank (June 11, 2021)
  • Guilty Gear Strive (June 11, 2021)
  • Deathloop (September 14, 2021)
  • Final Fantasy VII Remake - Intergrade (June 11, 2021)
  • Fracked PSVR (Summer 2021)
  • Horizon Forbidden West (2021)

Mid-tier and Smaller Games in 2021:
  • Destruction All Stars (Feb 2, 2021)
  • Oddworld: Soulstorm (April 6, 2021)
  • Kena (August 24, 2021)
  • Little Devil Inside (2021)
  • Stray (2021)
  • Solar Ash (2021)
  • Abandoned (2021)
  • Away (2021)
  • Wanderer PSVR (Q3 2021)
Output in 2021:
  • 18 exclusive games.
  • 9 big exclusive games.
  • One big exclusive game every 1.3 months or every 39 days.

PlayStation Console Exclusives (2022)

The following games are expected to be released in 2022. More games will also likely be announced for a 2022 release.
  • Forspoken
  • Final Fantasy XVI
  • Gran Turismo 7
  • God of War: Ragnarok
  • Ghostwire Tokyo
  • Lost Souls Aside
  • Sifu
Expected output in 2022 so far:
  • At least 7 big games announced so far.
  • One big game every 1.7 months or every 51 days.
  • Additional announcements will increase the software output next year.
Notes:
  1. I didn't include games that either haven’t been officially announced yet or have been announced but are likely years away, such as Spider-Man 2, TLOU Remake, Haven Studios game, Santa Monica’s unannounced game, TLOU 2 Factions, etc. Although, personally, I fully expect TLOU 2 Factions and TLOU Remake to be released before 2022 ends.
  2. I am sure I must have missed many games unintentionally. If I have missed any major PlayStation console exclusive games, let me know. I'll include those games in the last and redo the calculation.
  3. There are other exclusive games as well that have been announced but do not have a confirmed or rumored release date, such as:
    1. Firewalk's new IP
    2. WiLD
    3. Project Awakening
    4. Babylon's Fall
    5. Final Fantasy Remake 2

The Future of PlayStation Exclusive Games

While there may be a notion that PlayStation does not have the software output to match what its director competitors are doing, that is not the truth. What Xbox is planning and hoping to do in the future, PlayStation is already doing it. As of now, PlayStation is releasing, on average, more than 1 exclusive game per month and 1 big AAA game every 39 days, instead of 90 days.

And what's next?
  • Hermen Hulst, the Head of PlayStation Studios, recently revealed that PlayStation has more than 25 exclusive games in development (in addition to third-party exclusive deals).
  • Jim Ryan, the Head of SIE, said that PS5 will have more exclusives than ever this generation and they are aggressively making more partnerships.
  • PlayStation has also invested heavily in internal growth (roughly $4.1 billion) in the last two years to produce more first-party exclusives.
  • PlayStation will also increase that amount by $180 million this fiscal year.
Right now, PlayStation offers significantly more exclusive games per year. It is clear that this number will increase even more in the next few years, because of all the steps the SIE management has taken.

The future of PlayStation gaming is looking brighter than ever.

rwIYe7x.jpg
Is horrible there is not Japan studio logo there

Dreams, Astros Playroom and Sackboy are all smaller titles - or at least, with smaller impact. The latter two are made by smaller developers, one of which is included as "smaller games" in the OP. My post specifically addresses "major Sony studios". Returnal and Demons Souls are both third person action adventure games with open world RPG elements.

Might I suggest reading a post before responding to it. It makes for better discussions.

Oh, I absolutely did read your post, although I probably should not have given how baseless it was with that "Sony Game Formula®" utter nonsense.

You talk about "smaller titles" and "smaller impact" - what exactly do you think those strategy, turn based, horror, and RPG games you referenced are? They are exactly the same as Returnal, Demons Souls, Sack Boy, Astro, etc. Smaller budget games but with good production values. The only reason some of these games are looked over in list wars is simply due to how good Sony is at elite AAA development from its most prominent studios.

Last edited:
Top Bottom