• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anandtech: The Xbox One - Mini Review & Comparison to Xbox 360/PS4

artist

Banned
http://anandtech.com/show/7528/the-xbox-one-mini-review-hardware-analysis

COD:Ghosts
This is the big one. We’ve already established that the PS4 has more GPU performance under the hood, but how does that delta manifest in games? My guess is we’re going to see two different situations. The first being what we have here today. For the most part I haven’t noticed huge differences in frame rate between Xbox One and PS4 versions of the same game, but I have noticed appreciable differences in resolution/AA. This could very well be the One’s ROP limitations coming into play. Quality per pixel seems roughly equivalent across consoles, the PS4 just has an easier time delivering more of those pixels.

NBA2K14
NBA 2K14 is one cross platform title where I swear I could sense slight frame rate differences between the two consoles (during high quality replays) but it’s not something I managed to capture on video. Once again we find ourselves in a situation where there is a difference in resolution and/or AA levels between the Xbox One and PS4 versions of the game.

BF4
I grabbed a couple of scenes from early on in Battlefield 4. Once again the differences here are almost entirely limited to the amount of aliasing in the scene as far as I can tell. The Xbox One version is definitely more distracting. In practice I notice the difference in resolution, but it’s never enough to force me to pick one platform over another. I’m personally more comfortable with the Xbox One’s controller than the PS4’s, which makes for an interesting set of tradeoffs.

Performance
Typically AMD’s GPU targeting 1080p come with 32 ROPs, which is where the PS4 is, but the Xbox One ships with half that. The difference in raw shader performance (12 CUs vs 18 CUs) can definitely creep up in games that run more complex lighting routines and other long shader programs on each pixel, but all of the more recent reports of resolution differences between Xbox One and PS4 games at launch are likely the result of being ROP bound on the One.

Apps limited to cores?
Power consumption while running these CPU workloads is interesting. The marginal increase in system power consumption while running both tests on the Xbox One indicates one of two things: we’re either only taxing 1 - 2 cores here and/or Microsoft isn’t power gating unused CPU cores. I suspect it’s the former, since IE on the Xbox technically falls under the Windows kernel’s jurisdiction and I don’t believe it has more than 1 - 2 cores allocated for its needs.

The PS4 on the other hand shows a far bigger increase in power consumption during these workloads. For one we’re talking about higher levels of performance, but it’s also possible that Sony is allowing apps access to more CPU cores.

Power consumption
bbo7atg.png

Conclusion
If all you play are cross-platform games, then the PS4 will give you better looking titles at a lower console cost. For those of you that are particularly bothered by aliasing, the PS4 will definitely reduce (not eliminate) that. However I would argue that if all you play are cross-platform games then you might want to look into buying/building a PC instead. I’m also unsure about how much cross shopping actually happens between these two platforms. I can understand for first time gamers (e.g. parents buying the first console for their kids), but otherwise I feel like your friend group and prior experience is going to ultimately determine whether you end up with a Xbox One or PS4.

iceatcs

The pictures come from them, I made for comparison gif. (COD:Ghost)
GHOSTXBvsPS_3_zpsb3735c93.gif

GHOSTXBvsPS_2_zpsbb7dad00.gif

GHOSTXBvsPS_1_zpsed0e721c.gif

GHOSTXBvsPS_4_zps2b57e2b0.gif

Quite a different that what other reviewers said.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Noticeable difference in visuals there. This is only launch but at least the power advantage is showing already considering PS4 is more powerful. Most of the big differences come from the IQ benefits of 1080p but that 2k shot is also telling. Must be an AA benefit on PS4.

Far and away the best review for the One and its not even close.

The reviewer doesn't even call it a full review though, hilariously enough. Just a side project

Ps4 vs xbox one in review

Cod
Ps4 > x1 due to resolution and aa

Nba 2k14

Ps4 > x1 due to aa
Xbox one

Ps4

Bf4
X1 > ps4 due to better controller layout despite graphical going to ps4

Final word
If you’re looking at the Xbox One as a successor to the Xbox 360, I think you’ll be very pleased. It’s a much better console in every way and a long overdue upgrade.

It's interesting to me that the performance/image quality differences that exist between the Xbox One and PS4 ultimately boil down to a difference in memory interface rather than an interest in optimizing down silicon cost. In this case Microsoft has the bigger die, but the smaller GPU in order to accommodate enough eSRAM to offset the use of DDR3 memory.

If all you play are cross-platform games, then the PS4 will give you better looking titles at a lower console cost. For those of you that are particularly bothered by aliasing, the PS4 will definitely reduce (not eliminate) that. However I would argue that if all you play are cross-platform games then you might want to look into buying/building a PC instead. I’m also unsure about how much cross shopping actually happens between these two platforms. I can understand for first time gamers (e.g. parents buying the first console for their kids), but otherwise I feel like your friend group and prior experience is going to ultimately determine whether you end up with a Xbox One or PS4.

Xyber

All those comparisons are useless, you can't see a difference between 720p and 1080p because the internet told me so.

Azih

And that's for COD:Ghosts, which seems to have been barely optimised for next gen.

Xbox One is going to be competing this generation with noticeably worse graphics.

Wish they had done a PS4 review and an independent Xbone review... instead of an Xbone review compared to other systems.

There must be blood. I would have enjoyed independent reviews and ultimately a comparison review later. 3 articles wouldn't have been too much to ask

Slair

Pretty fair comparison, similar to my own perspective where tv integration and kinect don't mean anything to me.

He does say go far a gaming pc if you want the best looking multiplatforms which does kinda rub me the wrong way every time i read it. There is also such a thing as console exclusive multiplatforms which i wish they make people aware of.

Interfectum

The big meltdowns will occur when you see games like Fallout 4 vastly superior looking on PS4 over Xbox One.

This is going to be a long generation.

Abounder

Banned
This paragraph basically summed up the launch wars for a PC gamer sitting on the sidelines:

"If all you play are cross-platform games, then the PS4 will give you better looking titles at a lower console cost. For those of you that are particularly bothered by aliasing, the PS4 will definitely reduce (not eliminate) that. However I would argue that if all you play are cross-platform games then you might want to look into buying/building a PC instead. I’m also unsure about how much cross shopping actually happens between these two platforms. I can understand for first time gamers (e.g. parents buying the first console for their kids), but otherwise I feel like your friend group and prior experience is going to ultimately determine whether you end up with a Xbox One or PS4."

PS4 wins in price and performance but it'll come down to which system your friends are on, and which exclusives you want to play. Personally I would rather play the XB1 exclusives for the near future but you're buying a console for the long haul

He does say go far a gaming pc if you want the best looking multiplatforms which does kinda rub me the wrong way every time i read it, they say dont base your decision on power because pc is the way to go if you're that way inclined. There is also such a thing as console exclusive multiplatforms which i wish they make people aware of.

and as a PC gamer, and multi console owner, I agree with him on that

gcubed

This paragraph basically summed up the launch wars for a PC gamer sitting on the sidelines:

"If all you play are cross-platform games, then the PS4 will give you better looking titles at a lower console cost. For those of you that are particularly bothered by aliasing, the PS4 will definitely reduce (not eliminate) that. However I would argue that if all you play are cross-platform games then you might want to look into buying/building a PC instead. I’m also unsure about how much cross shopping actually happens between these two platforms. I can understand for first time gamers (e.g. parents buying the first console for their kids), but otherwise I feel like your friend group and prior experience is going to ultimately determine whether you end up with a Xbox One or PS4."

PS4 wins in price and performance but it'll come down to which system your friends are on, and which exclusives you want to play. Personally I would rather play the XB1 exclusives for the near future but you're buying a console for the long haul

It's been the same argument for the last 7 years

If its just multiplatform, why not pc

Slair

and as a PC gamer, and multi console owner, I agree with him on that

As am I, but I want the best looking/playing multiplatforms all the time not some of the time. PC for indiscriminate multiplatforms, PS4 for console only multiplatformsa and xbone for exlusives only.

The big meltdowns will occur when you see games like Fallout 4 vastly superior looking on PS4 over Xbox One.

This is going to be a long generation.

Not if Microsoft pays Bethesda a truckload of cash to not release Fallout 4 on PS4 they won't.

Wonder what the first real next gen showcase multiplat we'll be able to use as a gauge will be... Witcher 3 maybe?

The conclusion is laughable: in a X1/360/Ps4 comparison they say go with PC...
Pc requires considerably more $ , time and configuration not just in the beginning but consistently over the course of 5 years to keep on par, you would have spent $2000 on just the hardware by end of year 3 to what developers will achieved in a closed system like ps4 and x1

They said if you mainly play cross platform games and are particularly bothered by aliasing, the PS4 will better suit you but if that is your scenario, PC is best. Why pretend that the platform doesn't exist?

erragal

It's a measured and reasonable analysis that says if all you plan on playing is cross platform games then a pc is the best choice. It also indicates that social factors, controller preferences, and exclusives are the most important factors in console purchasing decisions.

So what objective analysis do you bring to refute said conclusion? You are reading a review on one of the single most respected pc hardware sites on the web...

Your post should have stopped right here. People want the easiest and the most affordable way to play third party games. If it came down to exclusives, than consoles wouldn't exist.

I can forgive in this case because it really is a PC HW review site.

But ya, if Anand was comparing video cards. He would not be as kind to the HW that cost $100 more and performed significantly worse. I think he is just trying to be diplomatic and not ruffle feathers.

No shit they're going to say go with PC, AnandTech's main deal is that. They do constant articles about building PCs for a certain budget too.

TheCloud

Banned
Pc requires considerably more $ , time and configuration not just in the beginning but consistently over the course of 5 years to keep on par, you would have spent $2000 on just the hardware by end of year 3 to what developers will achieved in a closed system like ps4 and x1

This sentence makes no sense, both in grammar and content.

They said if you mainly play cross platform games and are particularly bothered by aliasing, the PS4 will better suit you but if that is your scenario, PC is best. Why pretend that the platform doesn't exist?

Because they are comparing the 2 consoles, no?
If they had said it was a X1/PS4/PC comparison, I'd have no problem with it. But calling in a platform which they aren't even comparing if laughable

Wow, this is 720p vs 1080p right? An immense difference.

720p vs 1080p is definitely noticeable but a lot of the Xbox One screenshots look to suffer from some kind of sharpening filter that actually exaggerates the aliasing. It's really off putting. If that is something inherent to their upscaler, it's a real problem.

erragal

This is garbage. You didn't even use a number that originated in reality. You can buy a $200 270x that will run every game at 1080p for the next three years. Time and configuration of what?

I can guarentee this holiday people will buy pcs at the $600 to $800 range that will be playing games 3+ years from now with equivalent or better to console iq/framerate.

Seems like anand thinks the differences aren't too significant. Obviously we know the PS4 will perform better pretty much across the board, but even he said he was willing to take his Xbox controller preference over the graphical differences in BF4, for example, so it's not something that is gamebreaking in any way . We'll see if that holds true going forward as well.

But it's becoming pretty much obvious that if you're even going to get into a graphical debate, the conversation ends with an emphatic, "get the PC version". The graphical gap between either consoles and the PC will be tremendous

I guess Xboned fans will have to play games with a "dirty" filter on them haha

Scary how much difference it is, PS4 games looks just so much better, who would even want to play these games on an Xboned?

Top Bottom