• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ancient (Yuzo Koshiro) announces Mamotte Knight for Xbox360 Indies

duckroll

Dr. Zoidberg said:
This looks interesting. I hope there's a music test section so I can hear all the great music even if I can't finish the game.

Yes, the title screen options are GAME START, MUSIC PLAYER and VOLUME.

This game looks like a lot of fun. I do believe I will be d/l the demo when I get home.

Also in relation to Ancient..... really? I mean with this and Yuzo doing things like Etrian Odyssey's soundtrack in the old style really doesn't seem like a fall more than him wanting to set a sense of nostalgia... listening to the music in the trailer I got vibes of Legacy of the Wizard/Drasle Family..

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'd love if Ancient put out a special edition famicom cart and box, just for kicks. :lol

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Interested in this because of the Yuzo soundtrack, of course... not really a fan of downloadable games, I prefer having the actual case and instructions and stuff. Because what happens when MS announces Xbox 720 or something?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
djtiesto said:
Because what happens when MS announces Xbox 720 or something?
Heaven forbid your $5-10 game you bought and enjoyed three years ago doesn't work on a new system.

Anso

djtiesto said:
Interested in this because of the Yuzo soundtrack, of course... not really a fan of downloadable games, I prefer having the actual case and instructions and stuff. Because what happens when MS announces Xbox 720 or something?

They remove the online-requirement in a system update and give you an option to download all games and DLC to your computer for backup.

A man can dream, eh?

Kaijima said:
You're making yourself sound like a pimply fanboy who doesn't actually know the first thing about the developers he is criticizing. See Duckroll's post.

Yuzo Koshiro is primarily a musician and idea man. His sister is a concept artist. They've never been big-time game developers. Like most fanboy urban legends, probably half the stuff attributed to them isn't even true.

By the way, did you know Miyamoto has hobbies that don't even involve making more Super Mario Galaxy for you. Isn't that so f**king lazy? What a disgrace. He should come in to work on weekends and write Fox McCloud slash for his fans, to whom he owes all his time and effort.

And you are just taking part in typical group think whenever an unpopular opinion is expressed in the gaming forum. But go on, bash away.

Big developers or not, their (Ancient's) games managed to hit the big time in the past and it's not a completely unfair expectation to hope for it to happen again.

Who cares about any developer's hobbies? Or their kids? Or what they eat for breakfast? But when a known developer comes out with software, it's time to care which is quite relevant since this is a gaming forum. And I'm sorry, but this is forgettable shovelware, IMHO. And to add insult to injury, another Japan-only title as well.

Instigator said:
And you are just taking part in typical group think whenever an unpopular opinion is expressed in the gaming forum. But go on, bash away.

Big developers or not, their (Ancient's) games managed to hit the big time in the past and it's not a completely unfair expectation to hope for it to happen again.

Who cares about any developer's hobbies? Or their kids? Or what they eat for breakfast? But when a known developer comes out with software, it's time to care which is quite relevant since this is a gaming forum. And I'm sorry, but this is forgettable shovelware, IMHO. And to add insult to injury, another Japan-only title as well.

It is almost surely getting released here. It's an Xbox Indie Game. They don't even have to change the instructional text if they don't want to.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
chubigans said:
Heaven forbid your $5-10 game you bought and enjoyed three years ago doesn't work on a new system.

If it's under $10, it's okay if we can never play it ever again? You're taking that stance? Really?

Instigator said:

Yes, I'm sure you've been wringing your hands over Ancient's lack of output over the last 15 years, right?

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Instigator said:
And I'm sorry, but this is forgettable shovelware, IMHO.
You're on a roll.

thetrin said:
If it's under $10, it's okay if we can never play it ever again? You're taking that stance? Really?
Indeed. Without these downloadable platforms, these kinds of games would NOT exist today.

thetrin

Princess Skittles said:
You're on a roll.

Indeed. Without these downloadable platforms, these kinds of games would NOT exist today.

No question, but I'm not going to go ahead and say it's totally cool that they're not future proof, just because of the price.

Take out online authentication, allow me to store it on my own media, etc. etc. Nothing says they have to make it impossible to play once the console becomes obsolete.

Personally, I don't MIND downloadable games, as it has the advantage of having far less overhead, but it sure would be cool if they put out a tangible special edition cart or something in small numbers.

icecream

Public Health Threat
Instigator said:
And I'm sorry, but this is forgettable shovelware, IMHO. And to add insult to injury, another Japan-only title as well.
What makes you think it's Japan-only? The game page has language options for both JP/US (although US is disabled at the moment.) It's a matter of time.

thetrin

I'm starting to wonder if you know what the word "shovelware" actually means, Instigator. I seriously doubt Ancient would put together a retro game for Xbox Indie just to make a quick buck.

I just think it's strange to say that Ancient has fallen when this does look like something done for fun on spare time.

And how can you down on fun? I tried the demo, it's neat, I mean what is the big issue? Maybe I just dont take games as seriously as I used to, who knows.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
thetrin said:

Actually yeah, I am. I have bought hundreds of dollars worth of games over the last dozen years, with none transferring over to other consoles. I don't mind spending money on great downloadable experiences despite the fact that they might not work on the Xbox 720 two-three years down the road, especially since they're fairly cheap. To miss out on gaming now for the sake of worrying about compatibility later is just ridiculous.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I always look at DL games in this perspective:

Print Magazines, Movie Tickets, and Game rentals cost in the 5/15 dollar range. These are rather temporal, yet I appreciate what I've gained from them.

Downloadable games, at best, are going to be a mass of games that I'll be able to keep on a harddrive "forever". At worse, they're something I'll have access to for the next 5 years. Any of those are perfectly fine for the inexpensive cost. I often get more fun-per-dollar from these games than any non-fighter, non-rpg games I play.

There are a LOT of games that I'm sure we'd never see if not for downloadable services. Some of those might have made it to portable systems, but then they'd be on small screens, not on my comfortable-to-watch TV. I've gotten LOADS of DLC games with high production values for 10, 15 dollars, that probably would have been 30/40 dollar portable games.

As a gamer, it's a blessing. As one who loves old-school gaming, it's a blessing. As a person who wants 3/6 new games for his 60 dollars, it's a blessing. As a person who'd love to start creating games the same way those legends of the gaming world did, with pixels on 2d planes, it's all, once again, a blessing.

There are just too many positives to downloadable games. They're easily my favorite "new" concept for consoles, in this system generation.

chubigans said:
To miss out on gaming now for the sake of worrying about compatibility later is just ridiculous.
Exactly. Everyone wants everything they buy to be playable the moment they want any time they want for as long as they want. That's the ideal, but when it comes down to it, you want to have had the experience of playing it. You don't need to own the game anymore, nor do you have to have it around in playable shape to have owned that experience and memory. Hundreds of playthroughs of various game console rentals didn't diminish my experience of playing them, after all. Same holds true for any title I borrowed or traded for a limited time to play. Books, films, games...all the same. I only want my fill and that's it. I didn't need to own them forever and ever to make the experience complete.

faridmon

Wait, Wait, wait.

Yuzo Koshiro? you mean The Yuzo Koshiro? The composer who composed Etrian Oddyssey games and 7th Dragon Yuzo Koshiro?

I didn't know he had a studio to begin with.

MY. MIND. IS.BLOWN.

Oh man sat down with this and it's great fun.

Basically each stage is multiple waves of enemies and they all want to kick the shit out of the princess. To protect her you have to build walls around her or if all else fails push out of the way(necessary for some encounters). In order to build walls you need hearts, you get hearts from beating up enemies and you get more hearts if you successfully combo.

Comboing is fun since loads of enemies can fill the screen leaving ample opportunities to bash multiple foes at a time. This is best done with the playable character's secondary ability(like for example I picked some woman with a spear). She throws boomerangs that circle around for a set period of time, these rack up kills pretty quickly. It's also fun to see cause when foes are killed you can keep hitting them for bonuses and even bad guys will hit their buddies if they're sent flying.

It's tough though cause a lot of the enemies are more than just goblins or other thugs trying to kick walls over. Reapers will appear/disappear to chuck fire, Succubus bitches around and try to lead you away from the chaos so bad guys can punch the princess, and generally there's more to account for than just defending the base.

Each stage has multiple waves(like 2 or 3) and the final wave is the boss, and these guys are all over the place. Like there's one that's just a dragon sauntering across the screen. He ignores walls though so the only way for the princess to avoid damage is if you push her out of the way. There's also some Lizard Knight who hops all over the place doing stuff. Lots of variety from the few stages I've done.

In-between stages the player(s) can choose their upgrades(like more strength, more HP drain for hitting foes, better special attacks, etc) course those cost hearts so one has to manage that properly.

With up to four players(local-only though) and four difficulty settings I imagine this game can last for awhile. Shame I have to get ready for work cause I wanna play more.

Well worth my $3 at least. It's basically Tower Defense but there are some fun and interesting twists plus there's a bit more fighting instead of just sitting around and putting up defenses.

There's also lots of purposely bad engrish. Some people are into this sort of thing I hear.

Yeah it's out worldwide btw. I put the very first rating up on the XBL rating thing. :lol

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Tried the trial, this game is The Real Deal. It's great fun in single player and I can only imagine it's exponentially better with a group of friends.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
What was this doing all the way back on the fourth page already?

C'mon now, GAF, you're better than that.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Shig said:
What was this doing all the way back on the fourth page already?

C'mon now, GAF, you're better than that.

This is one of few things that can actually take my attention from the KoF XIII / SSIV / LP2 Trifecta of wanna play/need to play.

I love the PC Demo, and as soon as I finish some other obligations, straight to this! 3 Dollars sounds more than fair for such a cool little gem.

I have to laugh though... Mature Content 1, Sex 3/3?!?! Is it because of our Athena-alike PC? Is it because of "Defeat F#%&ING GOBLINS!"? Or is there a twist somewhere that'll suprise us all?!

SAB CA said:
This is one of few things that can actually take my attention from the KoF XIII / SSIV / LP2 Trifecta of wanna play/need to play.

I love the PC Demo, and as soon as I finish some other obligations, straight to this! 3 Dollars sounds more than fair for such a cool little gem.

I have to laugh though... Mature Content 1, Sex 3/3?!?! Is it because of our Athena-alike PC? Is it because of "Defeat F#%&ING GOBLINS!"? Or is there a twist somewhere that'll suprise us all?!
Maybe it has a scene like Defender of the Crown...with hot goblin action instead. Can't wait to play this later. PepsimanVsJoe's impressions sound great.

I played the trial and then I just bought it. I wish it had some online. I could always play this with the wife or something. But this is some gaming crack. This will come in handy when a drought comes.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
HadesGigas said:
Out everywhere (that Indie Games are available in).

Ah, awesome. For some reason I thought Indie Games only updated on Wednesdays like most other content on XBLA.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Mejilan said:
Ah, awesome. For some reason I thought Indie Games only updated on Wednesdays like most other content on XBLA.
Only XBLA releases are tied to Wednedays. Any other content shows up whenever someone feels like putting it up.

mollipen

The game really, really needs to be online. It's a ton of fun single player, but I can only imagine how awesome it would be multiplayer. Seems like it'll be a great game when friends are over, but I wish I didn't have to wait until whenever that might happen in the future.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Wow, leveling up your characters abilities produces some satisfying results. And they're all worth playing, as they each can dominate in different ways. Unexpected, to a degree, but SO glad to see it's there.

Neat the game on the 2 easiest difficulties, the
concert
at the end changes a bit each time I've seen it. Want translation of "song" too!

10 stages long, for any that are curious.

I was trying to put my review up on xblaratings.com but I dunno their submission bot is pretty funky. This game totally deserves more attention.

So once again I had to post the review on my blog. I'm not posting the whole thing here cause I think I gushed a bit too much and that sort of love just isn't fit for this forum.

Everything is shit and it sucks and I hate gamers and fuck them but oh man do I LOOOOOVVVEEE this game.

Dunno whether I should continue on to Hard and Hell or work on my rank in Normal. The Warrior is a beast with his berserker cyclone-style and watching that flying axe work its way through columns of enemies is just poetry.

Okay wrote a second review(yep I love the game that much) and xblaratings still won't accept it. Thanks guys.

Whoa what a little treat this game is. I'll have to get some of my buddies over to play this 4-player local. First Indie game I ever purchased.

RagolSlayer

Neo Member
Just downloaded this and played through easy mode with my bro, loads of fun. If only it had online play: I can only imagine how much more awesome it'll be with three other people.

BTW, anyone got a translation of the credits song?

Wehrwolf

RagolSlayer said:
BTW, anyone got a translation of the credits song?

Sorry, no, but I do have this wonderful pic of Yuzo:

itsyuzo.jpg

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
This game is so charming... love the sound and graphics.

When you keep blowing on the Famicom cart and it just won't boot.. I keep thinking.. USE RUBBING ALCOHOL ON THE CONTACTS IDIOT!! :lol

brand

This game is incredible. What a nice surprise for the weekend. Co-op beat em up tower defense heaven. Lots of in jokes for 8 bit nostalgists, unique play for each of the four character types. Hilarious madness. Amazing work from Ancient / koshiro / etc. And a (cheap) XNA release too, interesting! GAF must unite for this one.

Top Bottom