• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

And another cheap 1080p display pops up!!!

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Available only through Costco.com
$1800 plus 15% discount using costco cupon

$500 cheaper than the Westinghouse LVM-37w1 1080p LCD TV

Sceptre X37V-Naga
X37SV-Naga.jpg

attachment.php

Specs:

LCD Panel
37" viewable wide color LCD TV
Super MVA technology - ultra wide
viewing angle
16:9 Wide Screen Aspect Ratio
600 Brightness cd/m2
1200:1 Contrast
Pixel Pitch (mm): 0.4275*0.4275
1920x1080 Resolution
8 ms Response Time (Tr/Tf ms)
View Angle 88/88/88/88 (CR>20)

Video Wall Mount
Digital Tuner
3D Comb filter
Progressive scan
3:2 Pull down
Noise reduction

Audio
Built-in speaker 8w + 8w (stereo)
Subwoofer RCA Jack X 1
Surround sound
Mute
Audio output

Function
Swap 4:3-16:9
TV/CATV channel
Channel return
Picture setting
Sound setting
Clock

Compatibility
Color System NTSC(US)/PAL/SECAM
Video System
PC/Mac, VGA/SVGA/XGA/SXGA
SDTV/HDTV 1080i, 720p, 480p, 480i
(NTSC)

Regulation
UL/ CUL, VCCI, CB, FCC Class B
Accessories VGA Cable/ Power Cable /
RCA AV cable I/O Port
Video in
RCA Jack X1
RGB + Audio
S-Video in Y/C X 1
Component in YPbPr x 2
Tuner in NTSC
Audio in RC Jack (R+L) X4
PC Audio in X1
VGA in D-sub 15 pin 3 row type
DVI in DVI 29 pin (support HDCP)
(DVI cable not included)
RS232 in D-sub 9 pin (for software update
only)
Audio out with RCA Jack (R+L) X 1
Subwoofer RCA Jack X 1
PIP 1 Mode (5 size)
Display Mode 4:3 Mode, Panoramic, Fill All,
Wide
Other
Wall Mount Bracket (optional)
Horizontal swivel
Dimensions 34.9" Width x 9.1" Depth x
21.6" Height (w/stand)
Power Source Input : 100-240V, 2.4A
50-60 Hz
180 W Power consumption (typ)

Warranty
1-Year Limited, Extend Warranty Available

Due Aug. 2005

Not for me, but I thought I would pass the word along...

There is also a 37-inch 1080p TV from Proton due in September that should be around $1500-1600

Kleegamefan said:
Available only through Costco.com
$1800 plus 15% discount using costco cupon

$500 cheaper than the Westinghouse LVM-37w1 1080p LCD TV

Sceptre X37V-Naga
X37SV-Naga.jpg

attachment.php

Specs:

Not for me, but I thought I would pass the word along...

There is also a 37-inch 1080p TV from Proton due in September that should be around $1500-1600
so does this one have a tuner?

Brodequin

Careful now, not all sets that are 1080p actually accept a 1080p input. They'll just scale whatever the source is to 1080p. I've been a bit out of the HDTV loop since I got one two years ago, but I've started reading up again and this 1080p issue is something I've noticed. I'm not sure if this Costco set accepts or scales to 1080p.

Here a link to the AVS thread about this set - http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=543779

Also, can you actually see a difference between 720p and 1080p if you're seated a reasonable distance away from a 37" set? If the viewing distance is 8 feet, could you notice?

The Westinghouse actually exists, has 2 DVI inputs, and one DVI input definitely accepts 1080p.

Well at the very least the Westinghouse accepts 1080p although it is the more expensive of the two

With time, we can expect more and more panels capable of displaying and accepting 1080p for less and less

They should hit a sweet spot in price by the time X360 hits but if not definitely by the time PS3 hits

Rhindle

Cheap panels (e.g. every one with under the "Westinghouse" brand I've ever seen) look godawful regardless of resolution.

I seriously doubt that a Costco-exclusive model is going to be worth wasting money on regardless of what the specs are on paper.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Rhindle said:
Cheap panels (e.g. every one with under the "Westinghouse" brand I've ever seen) look godawful regardless of resolution.

I seriously doubt that a Costco-exclusive model is going to be worth wasting money on regardless of what the specs are on paper.

I agree Rhindle, but I just thought I would give a link to what is out there/coming and let people formulate their own opinions....

PG2G

That looks hot (and I trust the brand a bit more :p) I may consider getting one of these for the bedroom. I think 37" may just be the perfect size.

Klee, do you think Toshiba/Samsung will ever get 1080p down in the 42/46 inch models?

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
They havent announced any 1080p products at those sizes but I would speculate Sammy will have xHD4 powered 1080p DLPs at the 46-inch size before long....

sangreal

While these fall right within my size/price range, I think at this point I don't _want_ a 1080p fixed-res TV. I can't stand scaled images so since 1080p won't be required next gen I'll have to get either a 720p fixed-res tv or something without a fixed res :(. I really like the idea of 1080p though.

1080p at that screen size is probably not worth it. At 50"+, yes, and even 42" may be pushing it. At 37" you likely won't be able to tell the difference between 720p and 1080p unless you sit really really really close. :)

FYI, there's going to be a 50" 720p Vizio from Costco by August at the latest. This will have dual HDMI inputs and should be for less than $2500...maybe even as low as $2300 (but don't quote me on this). Then there's that pcconnection 42" 1024x768 set for $1400. Good deals for plasmas these days.

At least the contrast ratios for these lcds are getting better.

Hey Klee, when will those 1080p DLPs be at Best Buy? I'd like to go check em.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
The westinghouse set has received positive feedback from avsforum when used as a computer monitor. And yeah, that's the application I'd consider for these 37" 1080p screens.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
$1,800 is cheap? If it costs more than $400, it's too expensive for me
Considering currently the best deal for 24" HDTV capable LCD is Dell 2405FPW @ 1200$, I'd say 1800$ for 37" panel with almost identical spec sound pretty sweet deal to me.

Of course I would personaly use the panel for more then just media viewing (37" is big enough to greatly reduce the need for dualhead displays, even if a bit lowres for desktop at that size). But granted I don't know anything about the panel maker so those spec may not be quite as great as they sound... still, sounds intriguing.

HokieJoe

Uhh, I don't think that the Sceptre is a 1080p compatible device.

Compatibility
Video System
(NTSC)

Pachinko

That over 1000 dollar thing not being cheap is kind of my attitude as well but HDTV despite being as old as it is is not a cheap technology yet, its just now starting to take off sales wise. When I can buy a 16X9 screen with a 4X3 viewing space of 27inches that has 3 component inputs for less then 1000 canadian AND does atleast 720P I'll be a happy camper.

123rl

Danj said:
Does anyone know if there are any similarly priced deals for HD Ready displays in the UK/Europe?

Not even close :( AFAIK there aren't even any 1080p LCDs over here yet. The 32" Samsung LCD (same model that MS use in their 360 display pods) has just been launched at £1200. But some places have got huge discounts for it (Empire Direct are selling it at £800!)

HokieJoe said:
Uhh, I don't think that the Sceptre is a 1080p compatible device.

Compatibility
Video System
(NTSC)

This refers to the inputs the panel accepts - the panel scales everything to its native res of 1080p

There is still some doubt over whether it accepts 1080p input over DVI but with the Westinghouse doing so it seems likely

One member over at AVS seems to think it accepts 1080p/60 which would be even better

Danj

123rl said:
Not even close :( AFAIK there aren't even any 1080p LCDs over here yet. The 32" Samsung LCD (same model that MS use in their 360 display pods) has just been launched at £1200. But some places have got huge discounts for it (Empire Direct are selling it at £800!)

Well, I wasn't necessarily talking about 1080p displays; "HD Ready" only requires 720p. BTW, I don't suppose there's a list anywhere of HD Ready displays that are actually available in the UK?

123rl

Have a look at this month's What Hifi magazine. They have a list of HD-ready screens (LCD, plasma, DLP and projectors)

Jagernaut

Rhindle said:

Have you seen the Westinghouse 37inch 1080p tv in person? It looks really good, far from "awful".

Top Bottom