• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

And the NeoGAF Game of the Generation is...

.Pennywise

Banned
KQOHvWT.jpg

FINAL BRACKETS

x57iyV8.jpg

ORIGINAL TOURNAMENT THREAD

Thanks to all who participated!

MS and Nintendo fanboys couldn't live with allowing BB to win. It's all your fault for skewing the results and giving us this disparate result.

/s

It's the 19th-best game of the generation by my estimation, but since I really liked this generation a ton, it being one of the 20 best games is still quite the accomplishment. Therefore, I tip my hat to The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, a more-deserving winner than most. 🥃 (albeit, somewhat grudgingly)

The 2nd, 3rd and 4th-placed games really are among the top 5 of the generation, though, so GAF mostly knows its stuff.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
BotW isn't even worthy of 2nd place, but at least enough of you knew what was up to vote for the true GotG.
giphy.gif

BotW at 3440x1440 at 60fps is one of the best adventure games EVER made.

-----------------------------

Appreciate the effort and time you put into keeping the contest running .Pennywise .Pennywise . I'm sure it was annoying at times to do. So thanks!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for all the work on organizing this!

Solid Top 3 that probably aligns with my own.

Well considering the actual meaning of GOTG (a game/s that influenced games through out the generation) The Witcher 3 deserves it, also Souls games and PUBG.

Objectively speaking games of the generation aren't necessarily beloved by hardcore fans but games that create a trend and as much BOTW is a very good game it didn't influence any games yet to be considered one, nor did MGSV and a number of fan favorites in the pool, that's why i said from the beginning that this is a popularity contest not an actual look into games that left their mark through out 2013-2020.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
as much BOTW is a very good game it didn't influence any games yet to be considered one
If you think that Breath of the Wild hasn't influenced any games since it was released in 2017, you haven't been playing the right games.

GenericUser

Thank you for your work xxxKarma!

The salt, the entertainment, the joy, the despair. This was great, I enjoyed every thread and I thank you for your work. I don't take that for granted.

GymWolf

I don't know if i had more fun with the competition or the absurd way the games were put against each other :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Roufianos

Fuck that. We need to stop making excuses for CDPR, they're a transphobic company. Let's make a sticky thread.

Seriously though, well deserved. Game was huge, beautiful, had captivating locations and characters, an exceptional story and some hilarious dialogue.

Azurro

Banned
If you think that Breath of the Wild hasn't influenced any games since it was released in 2017, you haven't been playing the right games.

Well, there is that anime game that's on youtube all the time. :)

But seriously though, I can't really think of anything that it influenced.

Hustler

I’ve been meaning to get back to playing the Witcher 3. I only played 5 hours and saw the billion question marks on the map and stopped.

I rebought it in anticipation of the PS5 upgrade. I’ll most likely stick to the main quests with some of the side content to finish this.
Is there a timeline given for the upgrade?

So give me a list of games it has influenced? Besides Genshin Impact which is debatable.

Seeing that BOTW itself is influenced by both Assassin's Creed and The Witcher 3 i can't honestly consider it influential unless games start copying it's own unique mechanics.

It's the same reason i chose PUBG over Fortnite even though it's by far the more successful of the two.

Arkam

I can live with this result. The top 3 are all exceptional games. BOTW will be my personal favorite of the generation, but I can live with not everyone agreeing.

Cannot wait to see what comes out this generation!

jaysius

Banned
So many shitty tiers and apples to pomegranate comparison brackets, thank the fuck all these threads will stop.

The Witcher 3 and Breath of the Wild, both have trash combat, the combat in Breath of the Wild is better. The stories of The Witcher 3 are better.

Nintendo pissed away so many opportunities for great flavor text of interesting sites in Breath of the Wild.

Link the autistic cuck who can't talk to women... I think I know why the game is so popular.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

So give me a list of games it has influenced? Besides Genshin Impact which is debatable.

Seeing that BOTW itself is influenced by both Assassin's Creed and The Witcher 3 i can't honestly consider it influential unless games start copying it's own unique mechanics.

It's the same reason i chose PUBG over Fortnite even though it's by far the more successful of the two.
Some indie games and that Ubisoft open world greek game look like they were inspired a little by BotW

But at the same time, BotW2 will be inspired by Red Dead Redemption 😳

Some indie games and that Ubisoft open world greek game look like they were inspired a little by BotW

But at the same time, BotW2 will be inspired by Red Dead Redemption 😳
No Odyssey is influenced by it's direct prequal Origins and even that's debatable since they're both (and Valhalla) influenced by The Witcher 3 and have been in development for years (at least 5 according to the Ubisoft GDC talk in 2016/17).

As for Immortals the greek game you mentioned it's also debatable since it's made from Odyssey's skeleton according to the game's director who's also directed Odyssey's, and nothing so far besides the art style is remotely BOTWesq but we will see.

Top Bottom