• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Andrew Garfield is "The Amazing Spider-Man" (official title)

Status
Not open for further replies.
mysticwhip said:
Suit looks like shit.

500x_spiderman.jpg

Haters gonna hate?

tim1138

Love the look of the suit and the mechanical web shooters. I'm more hyped for this any of the other comic book movies coming in the next couple years, love me some Spider-Man.

Zen

Banned
I don't think that Riami fucked up as much as Marvel did in setting the guidelines that Riami had to work in.

The Chosen One said:
Why not just continue on from the last movies? Why start all over?

It's not like the Batman franchise where the Batman & Robin movie practically destroyed the series.

I think they could have easily made the entire story into 2 films if they'd altered their approach early enough in the process.

For starters, take Green Goblin2/Harry out of the equation for the first film. Making Harry a manipulative antagonist that's trying to underhandedly undermine Peter and MJ and get MJ for himself. It's only after this fails, and his antics have been uncovered that he gives in to the last resort of the Goblin formula.

Movie 1: Set up for Green Goblin 2
Movie 2: Harry becomes Green Goblin 2

Next up, Peter should have gotten the black suit etc, but like others have suggested, the first movie should have used the removal of the suit as the ultimate climax of the film. Allowing for the creation of Venom, and Peter redeeming himself to MJ, creating the birth of Harry as the new Green Goblin.

Movie 1: Set up for Marriage
Movie 2: Peter and MJ get married

Sandman would be the first films main and only super powered villain.

Eddie Brock, if they were seriously going for the mirror of Peter Parker, should have reflected Peters own sins and only become completely selfish, and embraced Venom, because of Peter's own actions while he had the black suit. It adds more of a punch to things than Eddie Brock having been an asshole the whole time, that just takes a lot of responsibility for 'Venom' off of Peter's shoulders.

Zen

Banned
Blader5489 said:
These movies are made by Columbia Pictures, not Marvel.

Avi Avrad, had pull for all three films in spite of Marvel Pictures not owning the production, as he was a producer. Avi Avrad is the reason that Venom and Gwen Stacy became included was in the film, for instance.

jett

D-Member
DryEyeRelief said:
Everything involving sandman was garbage anyway.

How can that be when his birth is the best part of the movie?

I'm one of those few that enjoyed himself with SM-3(until Venom shows up), I thought the much maligned Parker Night Fever scenes were hilarious. Of course then Venom shows up and then the movie really goes to shit. Not that the movie was anything great before, but it was a decent time a least.

Blader

Zen said:
Avi Avrad, had pull for all three films in spite of Marvel Pictures not owning the production, as he was a producer. Avi Avrad is the reason that Venom and Gwen Stacy became included was in the film, for instance.

He's also the reason Spider-Man 2 didn't feature Doc Ock, the Lizard, and Black Cat in it.

At the end of the day, Sam Raimi and Alvin Sargent are big boys and professional storytellers, so the onus is on them to craft something good out of whatever constraints they're given.

And as I've said before, it's not like removing Venom really changes the movie all that substantially. Everything else people didn't like about it--the amnesia, Sandman being Uncle Ben's killer, the forgiveness theme, etc.--would have still been there.

KidDork

Didn't Raimi say he didn't want Parker making web-shooters because it would be too much for the audience to take in? That to have Parker be a genius on top of getting super powers was just way too much? I never understood that, since it was fine for the audience to accept Parker could somehow make the Spider-Man costume in his bedroom. Wasn't that a bit of genius in itself?

Anyway, love the web shooters. I always enjoyed it when Spider-Man would begin to whine about how much it cost to make web fluid when he could barely make rent--and yet he still would web criminals in a giant ball and hang them from a lightpost.

jett

D-Member
KidDork said:
Didn't Raimi say he didn't want Parker making web-shooters because it would be too much for the audience to take in? That to have Parker be a genius on top of getting super powers was just way too much? I never understood that, since it was fine for the audience to accept Parker could somehow make the Spider-Man costume in his bedroom. Wasn't that a bit of genius in itself?

Anyway, love the web shooters. I always enjoyed it when Spider-Man would begin to whine about how much it cost to make web fluid when he could barely make rent--and yet he still would web criminals in a giant ball and hang them from a lightpost.

Raimi stole that idea from James Cameron anyway.

Nizz

Jack Scofield said:
Hahahaha. What are you talking about? Nothing about that suit looks homemade at all.

That's one of the many, many problems I have with the Spiderman movies. His supposedly "homemade" suit looks like it was designed by NASA or something. An incredible material which doesn't fade or get stretched out or even get wrinkled around the elbows.

God, superheroes in general are so dumb.
Well, this new outfit doesn't have raised webbing like the Raimi movies costume did. This outfit has something of a track suit quality. Yeah, it still looks way professional for a kid in college.

Blader

purple cobra said:
Well, this new outfit doesn't have raised webbing like the Raimi movies costume did. This outfit has something of a track suit quality. Yeah, it still looks way professional for a kid in college.

Nine years later and I still don't know this means. :lol

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Suit looks a bit sequin but that's OK. I'm more worried about how goofy the feet look, the picture conveniently blackens them out.

Dead said:
Dont think this has been mentioned yet

Here are the credited screenwriters:

James Vanderbilt
Alvin Sargent
Steve Kloves

Kloves wrote/adapted every one of the Harry Potter movies afaik, didn't know he was involved as well.

He wrote all of the HP movies, actually.

The one thing I want to hear is how Garfield acts as Spider-Man. Spider-Man's jokes in the Raimi films were bad, both the remarks themselves and delivery, and it ruined that part of the character. Just from watching Garfield movies in other movies from Boy A to Social Network, I know he can absolutely kill as Peter Parker as he was genuinely charming and great in those movies. But his characters in both are also pretty meek and I hope he can deliver a glib remark and not sound like he's taking a double dose of ambien before putting on the mark.

Everything up until this point has been great from the movie, at least from what they have to work with and distancing themselves from Raimi films and all.

adamsappel said:
A genius who makes the most amazing glue ever, in seemingly-inexhaustible supply, along with miniature sprayers which can shoot hundreds of feet with pinpoint accuracy? Yet he works as a photographer for a complete shit-head for $20 a photo? Put me in the organic camp.

Yea, they tackled this one in the comics. He's tried to sell the formula before, but it only lasts an hour, so it's didn't work out.

For him swinging around? All good. For hanging a picture? Not so much.

I'm fine with either one, but mechanical is canon.

Everything else people didn't like about it--the amnesia, Sandman being Uncle Ben's killer, the forgiveness theme, etc.--would have still been there.

Wallbanger.

An adaptation of the 60s cartoons would be so killer. Raimi's Spidermens were kind of similar. But I'd kill for some 'boing-noises'

zlatko

Banned
They intentionally used that bull shot they released to not show the feet, or the crotch area, because those are the most ridiculous parts of the suit in the front.

The hell were they thinking with that suit?

zlatko said:
They intentionally used that bull shot they released to not show the feet, or the crotch area, because those are the most ridiculous parts of the suit in the front.

The hell were they thinking with that suit?

They were thinking it's amazing and they are right.

Also, webshooters. <3

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
I keep expecting to like this design te more I see it :( it just rubs me the wrong way still. Still, yay for webshooters.

Busty

Banned
As much as I love 500 Days Of Summer I am not feeling this film at all.

I just can't muster any excitement for another round of Spiderman films so close to Raimi's trilogy.

I know it's basically an exercise in rights retention on Sony's behalf but even still. At this point I don't know how excited 'mainstream' audiences will be for more Spiderman too.

At the moment 2012 already has The Dark Knight Rises, The Avengers, The Amazing Spiderman, Ghost Rider 2 and Superman :Man Of Steel scheduled for release. Say what you will about the superhero genre but they can't all be hits.

Blader

Busty said:
At the moment 2012 already has The Dark Knight Rises, The Avengers, The Amazing Spiderman, Ghost Rider 2 and Superman :Man Of Steel scheduled for release. Say what you will about the superhero genre but they can't all be hits.

Yeah, I wonder which one is going to flop. :lol

Raimi's Spidey 1&2 are good. Three is a big disappointment.

This looks like an interesting revamp, and I'm personally a fan of the costume. I have hope that this will be different enough to set itself apart from the Raimi movies.

I will watch, whether or not I enjoy has everything to do with what I see in front of me.

.la1n

Honestly all of raimi's spiderman movies had silly moments, perhaps 3 had the worst of all (peter dance scene) but that doesn't exclude the other two from their retarded moments. People need to go back and watch these films.

I don't want a backstory, this sounds great. Andrew Garfield is an amazing actor and actually looks like spiderman / peter parker better than Tobey ever could. This has win written all over it. MARK MY WORDS GAF!

.la1n said:
Honestly all of raimi's spiderman movies had silly moments, perhaps 3 had the worst of all (peter dance scene) but that doesn't exclude the other two from their retarded moments. People need to go back and watch these films.

I don't want a backstory, this sounds great. Andrew Garfield is an amazing actor and actually looks like spiderman / peter parker better than Tobey ever could. This has win written all over it. MARK MY WORDS GAF!
Believe me I cringed at every single "Spideys a New Yorker, don't mess with us we stick together!" moment.

Overall I still thought they were great movies.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
.la1n said:

Bruce Campbell canceled out those cringy moments in 1&2. 3's cringe-moments were just too much!

WJD

neorej said:
Bruce Campbell canceled out those cringy moments in 1&2. 3's cringe-moments were just too much!

The whole news report thing with the final battle was god awful. Was that woman supposed to be English? It was fucking terrible.

"Awesome!"
"Wicked cool!"

Who the fuck says wicked cool?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
WJD said:
The whole news report thing with the final battle was god awful. Was that woman supposed to be English? It was fucking terrible.

"Awesome!"
"Wicked cool!"

Who the fuck says wicked cool?
You're not a rad enough dude to say wicked cool.

Busty

Banned
.la1n said:
...Andrew Garfield is an amazing actor and actually looks like spiderman / peter parker better than Tobey ever could. This has win written all over it. MARK MY WORDS GAF!

99% of the audience won't give a shit whether Andrew Garfield looks more like Peter Parker than Toby Maguire or not.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Busty said:
99% of the audience won't give a shit whether Andrew Garfield looks more like Peter Parker than Toby Maguire or not.

Just as long Eric Forman is not in this or even near this movie, I'm happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom