• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Andrew House comments the PS4 launch

Translated from http://www.lefigaro.fr/jeux-video/2...llions-de-playstation-4-d-ici-a-mars-2014.php

"We will sell 5 million PlayStation 4 by March 2014"

As PlayStation is about to celebrate its twentieth birthday, Sony has just made the most important launch of the famous console.

Andrew House - head of Sony's video game department since April 2012, came to Paris on friday to launch the PlayStation 4 (PS4), which came out in Europe two weeks after its North American launch. France is the fourth country in the world for the video games of the Tokyo group, after the United States, Great Britain and Japan.

LE FIGARO - Will you announce the two million mark for PS4s sold worldwide by Saturday?

Andrew HOUSE - I'm crossing my fingers. But we'll need more than 24 hours to calculate the European sales. It's more complicated to measure European sales. It was simpler to measure the North American sales because we only had to count the retail sales from two countries - United States and Canada.

What does this launch inspire you?

It's the most important one in the history of the PlayStation, which will soon celebrate its twentieth birthday. I'm extremely happy about pre-order figures, which can be explained by the attractive price of the console. Our production chain is the best we've ever had. We're redoubling our efforts to have more PS4s available before Christmas and not to disappoint customers. In the light of people's reception, I'm very confident in the fact that we will sell more than 5 million PS4 by late March 2014.

We're rebuilding enthusiasm for video games and the Sony brand. Our portable console PS Vita is more demanded in the United States since the PS4 came out. And the playing experience will be better with Sony smartphones.

But the console won't serve just to play games...

The PS3 was only made for playing and watching Blu-ray movies. The PS4 is a multi-function console, used for gaming but also for downloading films, series, watching television, sharing your playing experience with your friends, it has a social dimension, thanks to Facebook integration, which isn't offered by our competitor. Therefore, it will be used by more than one person in the house.

We're going to offer a total of more than eighteen online services, such as Sony Entertainment Network and the PlayStation Plus multiplayer service, which has become paid. The number of TV channels available in France is going to increase but we've first chosen to develop the social aspect, in order to attract a loyal audience, which will act among their friends as purchasing advisors for services and content.

What part of your income will those new services represent?

The part of new services in our income will increase in a significant way compared to the PS3. Our Gaikai (cloud gaming) service will be launched in 2014 in the United States, and later on in Europe. For now, only 10% of the big games are distributed digitally.

I think that 5 million is pretty low now. I can see PS4 selling more than that by March

Companies always low ball estimates to the public. If they're saying 5, Internal estimates are probably 6. Not hitting estimates would be brutal on their stocks, so they always play it safe. (Also why analysts predict higher numbers than the actual company line)

Supply is the biggest factor, their projection is probably pretty close to what they are able to produce by March.

This could also be a factor, but I still think they'll set expectations low with the hope of breaking them.

Foshy

We're rebuilding enthusiasm for video games and the Sony brand. Our portable console PS Vita is more demanded in the United States since the PS4 came out. And the playing experience will be better with Sony smartphones.
NICEEEE

I have said the whole time that 6.5-7million is what I am expecting. edit: of course that is if they can supply them

France is 4th for Sony? I bet they say that to all the European countries. I would be pissed off if I was germany after seeing the German launch pictures.

Ashes

Banned
Not to undermine him, but since it's selling out everywhere, shouldn't it be easy? it's basically as much as you shipped.

Unless of course, they too rely on research company figures such as those from GFK. And for GFK, he is right, in that it is a bit more complicated to calculate a truer figure with the increase in the number of countries.

Madness

I think that 5 million is pretty low now. I can see PS4 selling more than that by March

They lowball so that in case projections aren't met, they don't look really foolish to investors and others. I think they'll probably do more than that, heck I think with the strong demand for Xbox One, that both consoles will each have more 3-4 million worldwide by that time. Obviously PS4 has the solid early momentum.

Another factor is supply. Though Sony has been great at making sure their console is stocked. I've seen it restocked once locally myself, and it was gone by the very next day.

Not to undermine him, but since it's selling out everywhere, shouldn't it be easy? it's basically as much as you shipped.

Unless of course, they too rely on research company figures such as those from GFK. And for GFK, he is right, in that it is a bit more complicated to calculate a truer figure with the increase in the number of countries.

Yea but if Sony released shipped numbers everybody would be claiming that they are hiding something, and that would lessen the PR benefit. They just need to wait a little bit and get the actual numbers and release them for maximum effect. Sony knows its doing well. There is no reason to rush.

NHale

If it's that hard to count the European sales, then why did Microsoft managed to publish their day 1 sales on Friday (less than 24 hours after launch).

Knowing how Gfk Chart works it feels impossible to get accurate sold to consumers numbers in less than 72 hours so something doesn't sound good here. I need zomg to comment about this.

If it's that hard to count the European sales, then why did Microsoft managed to publish their day 1 sales on Friday (less than 24 hours after launch).

Knowing how Gfk Chart works it feels impossible to get accurate sold to consumers numbers in less than 72 hours so something doesn't sound good here. I need zomg to comment about this.

isn't it something like MS needed to only account for 13 countries whereas PS4 needs to count many more?

I think they went with estimated sales (knowing it'd likely sell out and nobody could discredit it given the 13 countries) to get that press release out so early and before the weekend

European launch also includes countries like Poland where we don't really have any serious sales tracking agencies.

The idea is the opposite of what Iwata is being with his estimates: It's a number they know they can surpass so they're maintaining that so when they announce something higher at the end of the fiscal year it will look better for them. The actual number will probably be closer to 6 million shipped afer the Japan launch.

emb

The PS3 was only made for playing and watching Blu-ray movies.
Lol, got confused until I realized this was translated. I suppose that should say 'discs' instead of 'movies'.
Edit:
"For playing games and watching Blu-rays". Sorry for the mistranslation
Gotcha. No worries, clear enough anyway. Just nitpicking at something that caught my eye.

EL CUCO

The PS4 is a multi-function console, used for gaming but also for downloading films, series,watching television , sharing your playing experience with your friends, it has a social dimension, thanks to Facebook integration, which isn't offered by our competitor.

If they eliminate the need of the set top cable box to watch Tv, R.I.P. Xbox (n)one.

Apathy

Well Microsoft also said they had sold out but then we started seeing pictures of unsold Xbox stock in stores as well as getting anecdotal evidence of people seeing stock in stores so maybe Microsoft isn't the best place to get sales data from specially when their main competitor is destroying their numbers

Lexxism

Companies always low ball estimates to the public. If they're saying 5, Internal estimates are probably 6. Not hitting estimates would be brutal on their stocks, so they always play it safe. (Also why analysts predict higher numbers than the actual company line)

Too bad Nintendo isn't like this. They always overestimate on their sales.

These are Friday and Saturday point-of-sale tracking figures for 93% of the UK market. You can take it to the bank.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
How hard can it be to calculate how many they sold. Surely they know how many units were in the launch and they've all pretty much sold out.

it has a social dimension, thanks to Facebook integration, which isn't offered by our competitor. Therefore, it will be used by more than one person in the house.

Facebook integration is great; but there's more components to having social features than just facebook, such as Twich streaming. In fact, I think Twitch is a much bigger deal than Facebook integration, and I'm surprised he didn't call that out.

I don't think the social features on any of the consoles will lead to meaningful increases in users per console, in fact it seems like there's a greater push to everyone having their own consoles, rather then sharing; especially with more and more titles removing split-screen gaming.

gtj1092

So he pretty much confirmed 1 million shipped to Europe. Lol at the idea that Black Friday was more important than shipping a million consoles to Europe and smashing the UK sales record.

DBT85

Supply is the biggest factor, their projection is probably pretty close to what they are able to produce by March.

Well projections had them making 1m a month by now. So even if they only started today thats 4m by the end of march, not counting what was already made in the previous months to get them to be able to ship 2m+ in 2 weeks.

Maybe they're counting downloads for the day 1 patch you need to use the console?

Elvick

Banned
I'm glad it's doing well. Hopefully Sony can keep up momentum.

It's being ignored by game makers too. Mine's been dead weight for almost this entire year because there's just nothing to play on it.
Then you have a very narrow interest in video game content, because there's been a lot of games this year for it.

What you mean to say, is that there's been nothing for you.

Top Bottom