• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Andrew House surprised by timing of Project Scorpio announcement

Banditscout

Neo Member
This may be thread worthy, Nasdaq claims Sony's PS4 Neo (or lack there of) is hurting the company financially:

Sony's PS4 Neo Launch Plans Fail to Impress, Stock Down

http://www.nasdaq.com/article/sonys...-to-impress-stock-down-cm634566#ixzz4BiXcvZTQ
http://www.nasdaq.com/article/sonys-ps4-neo-launch-plans-fail-to-impress-stock-down-cm634566

This offers incredible insight into the lack of knowledge many trading entities have with regard to specific industries.

However, we must assume that the general public has the majority of purchasing power, and therefore, the lack of a new console brings little benefit to an organization's stock price rising.

Well, given the spinning Spencer has been doing as seen in the 4k thread on this very forum I'm inclined to agree with Andrew here.

JJD

Phil is a good guy but this is absolutely bullshit:

Phil Spencer said at the E3 reveal: "we're announcing Project Scorpio today to give our developers and partners the ability to take advantage of that capability now."

MS doesn't need to announce Scorpio one year and a half before release so that devs and partners can take advantage of it now.

They could have done so silently playing their cards close to their chest.

MS did announce Scorpio in from of millions of consumers because the Xbone is not doing well, and it's getting worse over time. The Xbox One was a failure.

They needed something for their audience to look forward to and get excited.

They were successful.

MS doesn't need to announce Scorpio one year and a half before release so that devs and partners can take advantage of it now.

MS did announce Scorpio in from of millions of consumers because the Xbone is not doing well, and it's getting worse over time. The Xbox One was a failure.

They were successful.
I probably wouldn't use such harsh words, but yeah I agree.

watdaeff4

No. It's the same old tired PS4 has no gaemz meme. It was stupid then and it is stupid now.

It would be stupid, but that's not what he is trying to say

(I think)

They were successful.

I agree with this but I think it's also throwing a bone to console only gamers after so much of their focus appears to be towards PC gaming including that conference.

I think it was another attempt to say "hey guys we don't plan on abandoning consoles anytime soon"

In the Giant Bomb interview, Phil said that the leaked info a couple of weeks ago impacted their decision to come out with this. They didn't want to have to continue to straight-face deny what was going on, when everyone basically knew the truth.

This lets them do their work getting the console made and working right without the cloak and dagger stuff.

I imagine if there was only baseless rumors going around, they would have kept quiet, or at most been very vague "Great things to come!".

GHG

Gold Member
well sony confirmed psneo is alive and well. thats technically an announcement , an early announcement that we building shit. so?

They are acknowledging something is happening, not making it the focal point of their e3 by finishing their press conference with a video on it full of hyperbolic statements.

If you ask Apple if they are making a new iPhone they will acknowledge that they are (it's common sense at this point) but that doesn't announce anything. You get no details, no press releases, nothing.

Acknowledging something != announcing it.

This strikes me as such poor business sense that I find myself wondering what I'm missing

Everyone until holiday 2017 who buys an XB1 will be facing the decision of whether to get one now or wait until Scorpio. Dumb.

This is pretty good as usual from him and on the point. We will see in monthly NPDs but I suspect Xbone will do worse and worse even with S release because of Scorpio expectations.

Everyone knew that Apple will release iPhone 7 when 6s was unveiled but you didn't see Apple at the end of their conference spend time on iPhone 8 releasing in a year and being 5x more powerful. That's just crazy from marketing perspective.

These. Microsoft keeps fucking up while Sony's being smart at keeping quiet about the Neo.

This quote stood out

A release date for PlayStation 4 Neo has yet to be confirmed. House's reference to Apple, however, could suggest Sony has plans to release the console quickly following its reveal.

I think we are going to get announcement around August/September with release on October.

Seems like a good strategy if true & will pull the rug from under Scorpio.

We are surprised that you didn't show NEO. Scared of Scorpio?

Oh its obvious it was the right decision by Microsoft. They are dominating the news headlines. Sony executives are being asked to comment on it. Sonygaf is in full prevent defense trying to turn PR statements into messaging scandals. I think Beyonce said it best...

"You know you that b*tch when you cause all this conversation"
-Beyonce

You guys win the award for "most dumbest posts ever in this thread."

MysteryM

He stated that he'd had over 20 meetings with different developers about Scorpio, they need a lead time to start developing a different sku. Don't see the bullshit about it.

Steroyd

He stated that he'd had over 20 meetings with different developers about Scorpio, they need a lead time to start developing a different sku. Don't see the bullshit about it.

Unless they're making Scorpio only games I'm not seeing why they'd need an 18 month lead time much less announced publically, they could have just sent out dev kits in the background.

I was hoping Sony was going to say "oh and BTW ps4 neo!? You can buy it in stores on Monday and all games October on will take advantage of the extra power"

Instead I had to buy another regular PS4... sigh

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
"I was surprised by the step of announcing something over a year ahead of time," House said, talking to The Guardian about Scorpio's reveal. "The dynamics of the tech industry are such that there's a much heavier emphasis on immediate gratification than there was. A lot of that is to do with how Apple has very cleverly and elegantly managed the 'available now' approach. So yes, that was a slight surprise to me."

Now we know the approach Sony are going to take with the Neo and why it wasn't shown at E3.

Show game early could convince someone to buy your console immediately regardless of the game actually release date, it boost your console install base.
Show new console early do the opposite, they can't buy that early, only make them hold off for Xbox one S.
Or neo

GHG

Gold Member

Do you really think that the general public are going to play the waiting game for up to 12 months after the neo has come out and the marketing for it is in full swing?

Microsoft should ask Sony how that worked out for them last generation.

In the Giant Bomb interview, Phil said that the leaked info a couple of weeks ago impacted their decision to come out with this. They didn't want to have to continue to straight-face deny what was going on, when everyone basically knew the truth.

This lets them do their work getting the console made and working right without the cloak and dagger stuff.

I imagine if there was only baseless rumors going around, they would have kept quiet, or at most been very vague "Great things to come!".

I haven't seen the interview with Phil yet but this makes sense. The second "Project Scorpio" flashed on the E3 screen it hit me MS basically didn't have a choice after the leaks.

Pulling back a bit, there's a lot of very smart people in here over-thinking this situation. When you combine that with the requisite console warrior silliness that always breaks out like some nerd version of Hatfields vs McCoys we're bound to end up with unnecessary negativity that makes it difficult to be objective (usually because it devolves into list wars).

Bottom line: People are going to read into the Scorpio reveal in a few different ways based on personal biases, but ultimately MS is so far behind sales-wise it's reasonable to assume announcing Scorpio early isn't going to make things too much worse, if at all. I don't see this as a "White Flag" so much as "Well played Sony, you took round 1. Now we let's reset the game board for Round 2." MS does have the financial might to essentially cut the Xbone loose early and move on. Judging by reactions of friends who are more average "Dude Bro" than NeoGAF nerd like most of us, the XBone S and Scorpio messaging seems to have been pretty effective and even exciting in getting across the "Beyond Generations" idea that both Sony and MS seem to be moving towards. Accessories and games that continue to be backward/forward compatible as new hardware iterations come out, offering different configs at different price-points, etc...is a pretty easy idea to understand. I don't think this has to be read into as Doom and Gloom.

That said, Sony really brought it with several *games* that generally appeal to me more than most of what I saw from MS. Horizon, for example, is my game of E3, far and away (tho Zelda Wii U looks pretty amazing as well). Honorable mention to Days Gone. God of War, Death Stranding, and Spider-Man all look great too.

In contrast, while I was excited by MS's hardware reveals, I was admittedly somewhat disappointed with most of what MS had to show in terms of games. I thought MS's presentation was really well done...an awesome production... but the Scalebound and Gears 4 gameplay trailers were straight up boring. Sea of Thieves also looked kinda "meh". Maybe my opinion will change on one or all of these over time. Dead Rising 4 looks cool...but it's yet another Dead Rising and I've yet to even finish DR3. To my tastes, We Happy People was easily the best of the Xbox games I had a chance to see (major Bioshock 1 vibes) And I'm probably most excited about State of Decay 2 (altho they didn't have a lot to show I'm just stoked about 4-player co-op = gimme, gimme, gimme).

Basically, I think we should give MS a break on their Scorpio announcement. It makes sense within context. IMHO any real criticism should be leveled at how their exclusives games lineup looked kinda thin compared to Sony (which, of course, is totally subjective). I much prefer the XBL online/social experience and the Xbone controller. But I just call 'em like I see 'em...and to my eyes Sony's exclusive list looks straight up fuckin awesome right now.

Nah. I reckon they'll announce it officially at PSX, release in March. Neo and VR shouldn't clash.

But you thought Scorpio was definitely coming this year?

Is that why sony decided to show the final fantasy remake and Shenmue last year? Both games, at the time, were 2-3 years from being released.

I don't think it was that bad of a decision on Microsoft's part to announce their upgraded console ... they have to keep their consumers excited and looking forward to something.

I'd rather that than wonder what they companies I've invested in a going to support their hardware with after next week. I'm patient, and there's always plenty of games to play. What I don't like it knowing everything about a game before it's released, I'd rather have a teaser or two then nothing.

Conduit

Banned
Nothing to be surprised about. The new PS4 was unofficially announced long ago, and everyone knows about it.

But there is a difference between Scorpio and PS4, like someone said here :

A big difference between those two announcements is that when Sony announced PS4 in February 2013, they talked a lot about the thought process behind desgning it, it's technical specs and features, etc. They announced and showed games for PS4. They had a clear vision. How the box itself looks like was pretty much the only thing they did not show or talk about.

Alx

This may be thread worthy, Nasdaq claims Sony's PS4 Neo (or lack there of) is hurting the company financially:

http://www.nasdaq.com/article/sonys...-to-impress-stock-down-cm634566#ixzz4BiXcvZTQ
http://www.nasdaq.com/article/sonys-ps4-neo-launch-plans-fail-to-impress-stock-down-cm634566

From a pure rational point of view, I can see how the non-reveal of Neo can generate scepticism business-wise. Neo had two major selling arguments : being a cheap 4K player, and being a powerful console. It now has competition on both fronts, and the lack of information will create more doubt than confidence.
Things would be different if we knew its price, specs and release date (including for Scorpio), but right now it doesn't sound like an easy win any more.

Spaghetti

Is that why sony decided to show the final fantasy remake and Shenmue last year? Both games, at the time, were 2-3 years from being released.

I don't think it was that bad of a decision on Microsoft's part to announce their upgraded console ... they have to keep their consumers excited and looking forward to something.
Scorpio's reveal was an orchestrated attempt by MS to try reclaiming gamer mindshare, that's clear. Sony's 2015 E3 was a degree more random than that, due to secrets being kept between Sony's third party and first party teams.

I remember a video interview from last year where Adam Boyes recounted a story where he told Shu they were bringing Shenmue III to E3, to which Shu surprised Boyes by telling him they were bringing TLG that year too. The left hand didn't know what the right hand was doing, and vice versa.

I don't know about the circumstances of why FF7R was announced, but for Shenmue, it had to announced because it needed the Kickstarter funding. Waiting 2-3 years would produce nothing, because the project wouldn't have had enough funding to get off the ground in the first place without actually being announced.

I don't think revealing Scorpio this early is that bad an idea, but MS are going to be beating that hardware specs drum hard when it might not matter anymore.

The Scorpio was kinda pushed into being announced this early. I get the feeling that Neo will announce and launch this fall, next to PS VR. That's pretty much going to suck the air out of the room and dominate the momentum for the rest of the generation.

A year from now, nobody is going to care about 6 teraflops compared to 4.

Doing this MS may have hurt Neo very badly so I'm not sure it's a bad decision.

How many of Sony's games announced by Sony last E3 are available today? Oh ok, for games it's not the same. Announcing way ahead is good..

When will all the games announced this E3 will come out? I'm sure the biggest part of Sony's games will come in late 2017... so yeah.

Sony's just raging because they're now forced to launch Neo this fall and this may even won't suffice to keep their advance.

These two are just so dumb with their power race... of course going with this stupid "innovation" model they'll just switch places each time. You launch the most powerful one, it sells well then you let the system fly of the shelves. The other one doesn't sell as much... plan b: launch a way more powerful system first and then you'll have a lead at least till the other one does the same.

I'm laughing so hard right now :D

Business

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

And yet some hours later the market seemed to change its mind a bit... :)

"Sony Climbs on PlayStation Games, Virtual-Reality Release Date"

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-games-virtual-reality-release-date1qwqs\z2we

Though I think it's hard to tie these movements strictly to the game business.

Top Bottom