• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Andrew Scott, Oculus Rift co-founder killed by gang trying to escape police

Spwn

Condolences to the family and friends. Can't really find the words to describe how bad the news make me feel.

This is how the creator of the game boy died as well.

Kinda, but the circumstances were totally different in Yokoi's accident.

Ocaso

Just as much the fault of the police for participating in a god damn chase in an area with pedestrians. What did they fucking expect, that the criminals in the car they were chasing would be extra extra careful not to hit anyone or anything?

While it's true that such chases have the potential for tragedy, it's also not acceptable for police to simply allow criminals to escape without persecution simply because that potential exists, nor should they be blamed for the actions of a criminal. It's a sad tragic accident, but an accident nonetheless.

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat that is crazy :O so sad to read! :O

how involved was he still in the project? (have not really followed the dev cycle of the OR very much).

What a fucking shame... RIP dude. Sorry you, a productive and creative member of society, had to die while the worthless scumbags who killed you go on living.

YuShtink

how involved was he still in the project? (have not really followed the dev cycle of the OR very much).

I'm sure he was very involved. They only have about 25 people total in the company right now. And apparently he was one of the founding members.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Just saw Marc Laidlaw post this on twitter. So sad. :(

He co-founded the company.

This is my first post on GAF, despite lurking here for a really long time. I know some of the Dev team at Oculus, and felt the need to break the silence & express my grievances.

Such a senseless, and tragic death... My heart and thoughts go out to his family members and coworkers.

Fakto

Serched and found nothing. Lock if old.

The pedestrian who was struck and killed during a police chase in Santa Ana was identified Friday as 33-year-old Andrew Scott Reisse. Coworkers described him as a "brilliant mind."

"Andrew was a brilliant computer graphics engineer, an avid photographer and hiker who loved nature, a true loyal friend, and a founding member of our close-knit Oculus family," the company said in a statement.
http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/local/orange_county&id=9122999

A sad day for the industry.
RIP Andrew Scott

nib95

Banned
Damn. RIP. My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family. Hope they get through ok in what must be a very bleak and difficult time.

doemaaan

What in the hell?? Talk about horrible fucking luck, man. That's a terrible way to go. Especially with the Rift breaking grounds right now. RIP.

Top Bottom