• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Andrew Scott, Oculus Rift co-founder killed by gang trying to escape police

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/local/orange_county&id=9122999

SANTA ANA, Calif. (KABC) -- The pedestrian who was struck and killed during a police chase in Santa Ana was identified Friday as 33-year-old Andrew Scott Reisse.

Reisse, a Santa Ana resident, was walking in a crosswalk when he was struck and killed at the end of a police chase Thursday.

Authorities say the incident began when officers saw two vehicles full of people involved in some type of criminal activity in the 1000 block of Rosewood Court Thursday. When officers went to investigate, there was a physical altercation between a suspect and an officer, and an officer-involved shooting occurred. The suspect was taken to a local hospital, where he later died from his injuries. He was identified as 26-year-old Gerardo Diego Ayala.

Rest of the story is at the link above, though currently it's a short story.

The link itself doesn't say that he worked on the Oculus Rift, but on the news program itself, they mentioned he was an "Oculus VR" developer and worked on a lot of other stuff in the games industry as well.

Really sad news to hear, hopefully his friends and family are doing ok.

RIP... is it bad that i was imagining a guy wearing the Rift while walking across the street oblivious to what's going on?

wait.. yes it is. that's horrible news. some kid just got hit by a hit n run across the street from my condo. the randomness of what occurs on this planet is so damn cruel.

Shaanyboi

Banned
It's always sobering when the real world impacts the people of this industry...

RIP

My condolences to his friends and family.

Whatttttttt!!!!!?????

What the hell man?!
What the fuck man?!

Fucking humans. Fucking shit!!

Edit: Sorry for the language; this hit me especially when my Uncle passed away last night and we just buried him.

Tragic news. May he rest in peace and his dream live on.

Whatttttttt!!!!!?????

What the hell man?!
What the fuck man?!

Fucking humans. Fucking shit!!

This was pretty much my take when I saw this... It's one thing when horrible decisions end your own life, but to end contributing members of society with you is just beyond shit.

I hope the perpetrator ends up in whatever version of hell his beliefs grant him and condolences to the families of everyone else.

Zoc

Just as much the fault of the police for participating in a god damn chase in an area with pedestrians. What did they fucking expect, that the criminals in the car they were chasing would be extra extra careful not to hit anyone or anything?

Top Bottom