• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Andrew Yang Drops Out of Presidential Race

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014
They hate her though.
The level of hate she gets is so weird. I almost think the far left and the establishment left hates her more than Trump.

MrMephistoX

May 18, 2007
If Mayor Pete breaks out Yang would be a smart cabinet or VP pick. We need non boomers in government in general.

Zefah

Gold Member
Jan 7, 2007
Sad to see him go, but he never had a chance unfortunately. I liked the conversations he was starting.

Reactions: belmarduk

JordanN

Apr 21, 2012
Brampton, Ontario
You know, you got me thinking of something.

Imagine if Yang did become President and started giving away free stuff.

What would happen if he got voted out 4 years later? Does the UBI program end? Even though no party has removed welfare?

Honestly, America dodged a bigger bullet last night. People will keep voting for free shit and the U.S government would refuse to ever shut it down, basically creating an endless money drain.

Last edited:

Afro Republican

GAF>INTERNET>GAF, BITCHES
Aug 24, 2016
It was clear 2+2 equaled 4 months ago, I guess Yang couldn't do the math after all. Don't forget he said hegot Trump scared because Trump was a racist that hated Asians that liked math (wut?) but it turns out he scared himself into thinking he could do math.

Go figure. Now maybe he should give himself $1000 a month to find a new career.

Madonis

Oct 21, 2018
He had one interesting proposal, but didn't really find how to properly connect with other concerns. He kept linking it all back to UBI.

Which may work in certain situations, arguably, but not for other problems.

AaronB

May 5, 2013
He had one interesting proposal, but didn't really find how to properly connect with other concerns. He kept linking it all back to UBI.

Which may work in certain situations, arguably, but not for other problems.
When you're still trying to build name recognition, and don't have much time to speak, you have to keep hitting the same talking points. His headline proposal was UBI, and it connects to most things. Many poor people aren't being helped by welfare? UBI. Working class incomes haven't been going up much since the 70's? UBI. Many jobs are getting automated away? UBI. And so on.

He gets into a lot more if you check out some of his long-form interviews or podcasts; I like and and , for example. If you dig deeper, he had over 150 proposals to radically transform the way capitalism works. The other most significant may be "Democracy dollars": every citizen gets $100 a year to donate to a cause or campaign of their choice. This would wash out the influence of lobbyist cash and make politicians more beholden to the public rather than the donor class.

He wanted to completely shift national economic priorities from focusing on GDP and the Dow Jones to focusing on the population's health, mental health, childhood education success, and so on. The measurements could be set up with simple executive directives. What you measure, you manage.

His set of proposals is extremely ambitious, yet practical and nonpartisan. There are some I would do differently, but I believe he'd leave us with a country that we'd be proud to leave to our kids. He couldn't break through the obstacles to go from unknown to president in one campaign, but if he runs again (and he probably will) he'll be starting with good name recognition and a strong base of support.

Lrnex

Dec 24, 2019
Yang was actually really refreshing to hear at the debates and broke up the “orange man bad” monotony. Obviously didn’t have a chance but I could see him being involved in some way with a potential Sanders presidency. Most of the Yang Gang will likely flow over to Sanders as well.

pel1300

Jan 11, 2006
Some replies here sound just like resetera posters talking about him.

Non-Americans, and no not Russia and China, but various European countries like Holland......tend to know more about Yang and like him vs Americans. That's my experience living abroad and I find it depressing

A lot of his online support are Canadians and Europeans wishing they could have a politician like him. And my experience traveling and talking to many European people who are politically engaged reflects this..

Every single non-MSM person who interviewed him likes him a lot- that says a lot about him as a person.

Ben Shapiro
Megan McCain
Dave Chappelle
Van Jones
Tucker Carlson
Whoopi Goldberg
Sam Harris
Eric Weinstein
Joe Rogan
Ethan Klein
Norm MacDonald
Trevor Noah
Tulsi Gabbard
Jimmy Dore
Kyle Kulinski (if not for Bernie running, Kyel would totally be Yang Gang)
Cenk

People on all sides of the political aisle, well known and well informed people - all really liked or loved Andrew Yang after talking to him for a long time in person in long interview format.

But go ahead and pretend he's a joke even though he outlasted well known senators, governors, and congressmen without having their name recognition and lack of media coverage.

Not to mention none of the candidates disliked him. He was well liked by every single candidate in the race. That says a lot about his character.

Last edited:

AaronB

May 5, 2013
Yang was actually really refreshing to hear at the debates and broke up the “orange man bad” monotony. Obviously didn’t have a chance but I could see him being involved in some way with a potential Sanders presidency. Most of the Yang Gang will likely flow over to Sanders as well.
Some amount of Yang supporters will go to Sanders - I would guess 25%. I've seen several twitter polls, but of course those aren't scientific. Many Yang fans supported Sanders in 2016; some of those now dislike Sanders, but some still have him as their 2nd.

The good things about Sanders are that he's advocating for average people, he's anti-establishment, and anti-war.

The negative things are that he's invested in 19th century solutions; he and his surrogates did a lot to shoot down Yang's solutions among progressives; and part of his fanbase was toxic.

Miku Miku

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2018
Good riddance. Anybody whose platform consists of “Simply for existing you deserve $1000 per month of other people’s money” shouldn’t be let within 100 miles of DC let alone the Oval Office.
In the future, when robots make humans unemployable, the handful of people who own the robots should be heavily taxed. You're not thinking about this from a futurist point of view.

He raised awareness, so his campaign succeeded. He never had actual realistic expectations of going past that.

SpartanN92

Gold Member
Sep 7, 2012
US
In the future, when robots make humans unemployable, the handful of people who own the robots should be heavily taxed. You're not thinking about this from a futurist point of view.

He raised awareness, so his campaign succeeded. He never had actual realistic expectations of going past that.
As technology changes the work force will adapt just as it has when every single new technological breakthrough happens. You’ll note how unemployment today is a fraction of what it was 100 years ago, and we are an incredibly automated society.

Miku Miku

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2018
As technology changes the work force will adapt just as it has when every single new technological breakthrough happens. You’ll note how unemployment today is a fraction of what it was 100 years ago, and we are an incredibly automated society.
It's possible. Eventually robots should be able to do almost anything a human does better than we can. And not everyone is suited to adapt to high skill tech jobs. Normal people have to live to. I genuinely think itll be an issue at some point.

SpartanN92

Gold Member
Sep 7, 2012
US
It's possible. Eventually robots should be able to do almost anything a human does better than we can. And not everyone is suited to adapt to high skill tech jobs. Normal people have to live to. I genuinely think itll be an issue at some point.
AI will bomb us into oblivion before that happens so don't worry about it! Unemployment isn't a problem if there are no workers left alive :messenger_beaming:

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Miku Miku

Riven326

Mar 25, 2019
United States

Non-Americans, and no not Russia and China, but various European countries like Holland......tend to know more about Yang and like him vs Americans. That's my experience living abroad and I find it depressing

A lot of his online support are Canadians and Europeans wishing they could have a politician like him. And my experience traveling and talking to many European people who are politically engaged reflects this..

Every single non-MSM person who interviewed him likes him a lot- that says a lot about him as a person.

Ben Shapiro
Megan McCain
Dave Chappelle
Van Jones
Tucker Carlson
Whoopi Goldberg
Sam Harris
Eric Weinstein
Joe Rogan
Ethan Klein
Norm MacDonald
Trevor Noah
Tulsi Gabbard
Jimmy Dore
Cenk

People on all sides of the political aisle, well known and well informed people - all really liked or loved Andrew Yang after talking to him for a long time in person in long interview format.

But go ahead and pretend he's a joke even though he outlasted well known senators, governors, and congressmen without having their name recognition and lack of media coverage.

Not to mention none of the candidates disliked him. He was well liked by every single candidate in the race. That says a lot about his character.
He's not a joke. He's just boring.

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018

Ben Shapiro
Megan McCain
Dave Chappelle
Van Jones
Tucker Carlson
Whoopi Goldberg
Sam Harris
Eric Weinstein
Joe Rogan
Ethan Klein
Norm MacDonald
Trevor Noah
Tulsi Gabbard
Jimmy Dore
Cenk

Being well liked doesn’t mean you would be a good president.

he never got above 3% nationally, despite being on multiple national debates. Democratic voters decided they don’t like the guy or his ideas

Last edited:
Reactions: RedVIper

pel1300

Jan 11, 2006
Being well liked doesn’t mean you would be a good president.

he never got above 3% nationally, despite being on multiple national debates. Democratic voters decided they don’t like the guy or his ideas
He polled at 8 percent above mayor buttplug

And he wasn't running to win. He ran to get his message out there. He won

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: matt404au

Afro Republican

GAF>INTERNET>GAF, BITCHES
Aug 24, 2016
Now that yang is out this means every debate is run by the KKK by default from here on out. WHERE IS MAH DIVERSITY?

Riven326

Mar 25, 2019
United States
To simple minded morons like you who lack the intelligence to understand the message
Says the person who immediately jumps to name calling. Typical leftist reactionary. All emotion, not an ounce of logic or reason.

A certain level of charisma is required to run for the presidency and succeed. See Bush vs. Kerry.

It's too bad Andrew Yang's idea of charisma is to begin crying at the drop of a hat. Perhaps he should look into acting. Jet Li is getting old.

pel1300

Jan 11, 2006
Knock off the childish insults. Attack their argument like an adult.
Says the person who immediately jumps to name calling. Typical leftist reactionary. All emotion, not an ounce of logic or reason.

A certain level of charisma is required to run for the presidency and succeed. See Bush vs. Kerry.

It's too bad Andrew Yang's idea of charisma is to begin crying at the drop of a hat. Perhaps he should look into acting. Jet Li is getting old.
Thanks for exposing yourself as a racist shit bag.

You are just as bad as the restera sjws you fucking piece of shit.

• LOL
Reactions: Riven326
Oct 26, 2018

Ben Shapiro
Megan McCain
Dave Chappelle
Van Jones
Tucker Carlson
Whoopi Goldberg
Sam Harris
Eric Weinstein
Joe Rogan
Ethan Klein
Norm MacDonald
Trevor Noah
Tulsi Gabbard
Jimmy Dore
Cenk

The reason why people liked him was because he was no threat. The guy had basically a 1-5% poll result for half a year. His schitick was the same old "$1,000 for everyone, and we got to do something about automation taking over the jobs..... (yet never said anything how to fix it)"

His website has a shit load of political views he has (at least the last time I looked), yet every second on stage he talked about the same shit for 5 primaries.

In the last one on, the first 10 minutes were the usual bickering on how to beat Trump, the moderator asks Yang what he'll do, and he ignores answering and promotes his $1,000 thing again for the millionth time. If the $1,000 idea hasn't made a dent in his rating for the first 4 debates, how is it going to boost your score for the 5th?

Reactions: oagboghi2

Kenpachii

Mar 23, 2018
To simple minded morons like you who lack the intelligence to understand the message
What was his message? free money for everybody? automation = rip your job in the future?

Both where heavily flawed arguments and he didn't come with any solution for markets etc. Dude was a joke from the start.

Last edited:
Reactions: RedVIper

pel1300

Jan 11, 2006
Oh, shut up. No one's buying your fake outrage anymore. You're just as boring as Yang. You have no shot at being president either.
Good. I don't wanna be president. I never wanted to be a CEO of anything. I chose a consultant role in my workplace because I'm not an egomaniac like you. Yang also never wanted to be president.

You're a cunt. In person you would't have the guts to say what you say. I trained under the Machado brothers alongside Joe Rogan, Eddie Bravo, and Dan Inosanto (who Anderson Silva trained under).

pel1300

Jan 11, 2006
Public school... elementary school through high school being free is a stupid joke. FREE elementary school? GTFO.

The mail service should NOT be free. Not Every1 is entitled to getting free mail service.

Everything the gov. gives us for free is WRONG.

So please...... if UBI be ones a real thing outside Alaska... mail your UBI check to me so I can burn it. I mean you hate it right? So put your money where your mouth is and give it to me so I can waste it on vacations.

Last edited:

Riven326

Mar 25, 2019
United States
Good. I don't wanna be president. I never wanted to be a CEO of anything. I chose a consultant role in my workplace because I'm not an egomaniac like you. Yang also never wanted to be president.

You're a cunt. In person you would't have the guts to say what you say. I trained under the Machado brothers alongside Joe Rogan, Eddie Bravo, and Dan Inosanto (who Anderson Silva trained under).
He lost. He's a loser. His campaign was a joke. He never had a chance in hell. I couldn't care less about your personal life.

pel1300

Jan 11, 2006
Oh right he won...which is why zero democratic candidates have taken his idea.
I can't tell if you are trolling.

Two candidates literally took Yang aside to ask him about it. One of them was Warren. The other Biden. Now Warren is seriously considering UBI.

Tulsi has been pro UBI for since last year. But she doesn't know how to pay for it and that's why she let Andrew tackle it. And she literally said she agreed with her friend Andrew about UBI.

Julian Castro has supported UBI recently.

Marianne Williamson adopted it too while she was still in the race.

Not to mention public figures in the mainstream media talking about it on CNN and ABC.

Now a man is running for New York congress and running on Yang's UBI.

A Bloomberg advisor said he wants Yang to run for Mayor in NY.

Elon Musk endorsed Yang and his UBI
In fact Elon was advocating for it efore Yang joined the race.

Sam Harris supports it.

Eric Weinstein supports it.

Forget UBI. The big issue is automation. No one was talking a out it. Now they are. Tucker Carson kept harping on about how odd it was no one seemed concerned about automation the he almost low key endorsed Yang.

Ben Shapiro says Yang is the only candidate talking about new and interesting ideas.

Two campaigns reached out to Yang asking for him to join them before he dropped out.

The fact is people are talking about oth automation and UBI.

You realize that UBI is not just Yang's idea? It's an idea that has been around since Thomas Payne. MLK JR wanted it. MLK JR' son wants it and agrees with Yang. It almost passed under Nixon. Alaska has had it for 4 decades and they love it.

Yang is getting positive msm coverage now.

Jesus fuck some Y'all just wanna hate for the sake of hating.

Trump brought up issues that weren't being talked about 4 years ago. He succeeded. I don't like Trump but I give him credit when it's due.

The number of views on the Rogan Yang podcast just surged after he dropped out.

But go on thinking this man who no one knew about and got almost no media coverage went from random tech guy to international public figure more popular in Europe and Canada than in USA.

Yang won the internet. It's just most of that internet support was liberals in Holland and Scandinavia and other various liberal countries telling Americans he actually gets what worked and what didn't work in Europe.

His book sales rose significantly during his run.

The news coverage is all about how he has a bright future.

Look at the level of Twitter support he just got from both politicians and other famous people. He went out with a bang. Other candidates drop out with a whimper be ause they keep staying until the ur last dying breath.

Yang dropped out before he needed to and he is getting major props from both his opposition and the media.

Not to mention Megan McCain of all ppl became Yang crazy rooting for him.

The only thing Yang is sad about is his supporters. Yang knew he most likely wouldn't win but his supporters thought 100 percent he would. He now sees his supporters heartbrokenand that is probably what saddens him the most.

Last edited:

RedVIper

Jun 13, 2017

Ben Shapiro
Megan McCain
Dave Chappelle
Van Jones
Tucker Carlson
Whoopi Goldberg
Sam Harris
Eric Weinstein
Joe Rogan
Ethan Klein
Norm MacDonald
Trevor Noah
Tulsi Gabbard
Jimmy Dore
Cenk

I can like the guy and still disagree with him on pretty much everything.

Clear

Feb 2, 2009
UBI is a fundamentally sound idea but *ONLY IF* it can be economically viable.

The practicalities though are a big deal, especially for populous nations like the US. Even if In the long term it might be unavoidable due to technological advancements eliminating huge swathes of low-income jobs.

Reactions: pel1300

pel1300

Jan 11, 2006
I can like the guy and still disagree with him on pretty much everything.
Most of the people on that list agree with him. Tucker said he would vote for someone like Yang (likely implying if a republican ran on Yang's platform, Tucker would vote for that guy.

The only candidate who openly disagreed with Yang's message and ideas was Bernie. He also happens to be the campaign that wants Yang's endorsement the most. Makes perfect sense.

I guess Obama agrees with him too:

Last edited: