• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Andrew Yang endorses Joe Biden

LegendOfKage

Mar 6, 2018
Boo urns.

To be fair though, that was in the past. He did say that he'd endorse the Dem nominee, whoever that ends up being.

(but he did make the call a smidgen early).
The clear sign of an opportunist. No one is going to benefit from this early endorsement other than Yang.

Reactions: TheGreatYosh

Woo-Fu

incest on the subway
Jan 2, 2007
It's the right thing to do if you'd prefer a Democrat in the White House, which presumably Yang does. He waited until somebody had clinched the nomination which Biden effectively has after last night's voting.

The time for divisiveness within the party is over. The smart move is to put that shit back on the shelf until after the election. Be interesting to see how many Democrats can manage that.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: quickwhips

RokkanStoned

Jan 14, 2018
Norway
It's the right thing to do if you'd prefer a Democrat in the White House, which presumably Yang does. He waited until somebody had clinched the nomination which Biden effectively has after last night's voting.

The time for divisiveness within the party is over. The smart move is to put that shit back on the shelf until after the election. Be interesting to see how many Democrats can manage that.
Too bad Biden kills all enthusiasm. More so, it really doesn't give progressives much. For a republican it's a definite safety in making sure the Democrat party never goes too far left, severely dampening a potential loss of presidency. For progressives it's a sign that the center will define the politics and they'll have to deal with the typical elites that rarely seem to be capable of doing much in their interest. At best a few small steps that keep the status quo.

Honestly, this is progressives big chance. Had they managed to get enough people voting they'd lift Bernie up to the presidential candidacy, win the election and thus define Democrat politics for at least a decade, in much the same way as Trump did with the Republican party. Since that doesn't seem to happen, either they'll have to relinquish power back to the establishment or they'll just have to not vote/vote for a third party and make sure that the establishment gets punished for their candidate choice and have to consider the left-wing's wishes as well, while planning to build up a candidate for the 2024 and taking over the DNC.
I've seen a lot of left-wing voters really cry up about M4A, "free" education, climate action, less global interventionism (outside of obvious genocides) and wage. Often citing us Scandinavian countries. If they are ever to get there any time soon they need to transform the democrat party by taking power. To do so they need the presidency. A lot of these people are suffering under either student debt or a lack of perceivable options for social mobility or just living in poverty with crippling healthcare costs, so for them a Biden win barely does anything. Heck, a Biden loss would vindicate their arguments and would allow for them to challenge the establishment. Why would they accept baby steps, when they want a big leap? They'd pack the Supreme Court if they got in power, they'd want a big transformative change.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Great illustration showing how the Democrat "progressive" movement is a farce.

At this point it is nothing more than a carefully-pruned opposition intended to keep progressives on a leash instead of losing their vote to the Greens (which would allow a viable third party to thrive).

But Trump is Hitler-Satan so.... y'know.... keep voting Party over Policy. Rub this organic soy-lotion on the areas of your neck where the collar chafes.

Dems telling their own constituents "SILENCE, LIBERAL" is amusing as all heck. It isn't divisiveness for the sake of divisiveness (I'm an outsider to the party and even I can see that). There are significant disagreements on policy and methods of carrying out goals. Biden's presidency would be vastly different than a Gabbard or a Sanders or a Booker.

Last edited:
  • Fire
Reactions: Tesseract

Kenpachii

Mar 23, 2018
Great illustration showing how the Democrat "progressive" movement is a farce.

At this point it is nothing more than a carefully-pruned opposition intended to keep progressives on a leash instead of losing their vote to the Greens (which would allow a viable third party to thrive).

But Trump is Hitler-Satan so.... y'know.... keep voting Party over Policy. Rub this organic soy-lotion on the areas of your neck where the collar chafes.

Dems telling their own constituents "SILENCE, LIBERAL" is amusing as all heck. It isn't divisiveness for the sake of divisiveness (I'm an outsider to the party and even I can see that). There are significant disagreements on policy and methods of carrying out goals. Biden's presidency would be vastly different than a Gabbard or a Sanders or a Booker.
Everything is a farce when u only got 2 party's. U always have to fall in line.

Woo-Fu

incest on the subway
Jan 2, 2007
You're not using the same lens as the democratic party. It doesn't matter how different the other democratic candidates are on policy, they're not Trump. Once somebody has the nomination that is your choice. It isn't Sanders vs. Biden, it is Biden vs. Trump now.

If there are any Democratic ideals you'd like to see put into law then you need power in Washington. That means electing people in your party.

Republicans have figured this out, mainly because their party skews older. Democrats, particularly younger Democrats haven't. If their choice doesn't get the nomination they don't even come out to vote and then wonder why they lost.

Too bad Biden kills all enthusiasm. More so, it really doesn't give progressives much.
I agree, Biden is not a good candidate. And while it doesn't give progressives much I don't see Trump giving them more. The thing about the progress they want is that it is going to come at Washington's pace as long as they keep trying to play the game the same way its always been played.

Last edited:
Reactions: DunDunDunpachi

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
Oh no Shortround baby, what is you doing!

"Hold on to your potatoes" - Andrew "Shortround" Yang, probably

• Thoughtful

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Everything is a farce when u only got 2 party's. U always have to fall in line.
We have three parties and a fourth option to go Independent. There is no law preventing more parties that I am aware of.

The folks who desperately want more parties never seem willing to go out and form those parties. Methinks the desire for normalcy is stronger than the desire for radical revolution.

You're not using the same lens as the democratic party. It doesn't matter how different the other democratic candidates are on policy, they're not Trump. Once somebody has the nomination that is your choice. It isn't Sanders vs. Biden, it is Biden vs. Trump now.
I agree this is what is going on. Obama even started a Unity Fund to help facilitate this "lesser of two evils" voting habit.

However, the practice stands in the way of these smaller blocs ever accomplishing their goals.

If there are any Democratic ideals you'd like to see put into law then you need power in Washington. That means electing people in your party.
Depends. Our system was set up in such a way that it should be difficult for radicals to win at the Federal level but easy for them to win at a local or state level, owing to the vast freedoms our states still enjoy. Good ideas should be able to compete and win at the local/state level before they can win at the Federal level, an idea that goes all the way back to the conversations documented in the Federalist Papers.

I would love to see Medicare for All or liberal gun control or stricter wage-controls etc etc enacted at a STATE level first before we vote in people hoping to enact those laws at the national level. That is the road to tyranny, imposing unproven laws upon unwilling states.

Republicans have figured this out, mainly because their party skews older. Democrats, particularly younger Democrats haven't. If their choice doesn't get the nomination they don't even come out to vote and then wonder why they lost.
I don't hold it against anyone who decides to abstain because they don't believe in the values of their party's candidate. Folks need to be more willing to switch parties or go independent or vote for the Other Biden.

• Thoughtful

Woo-Fu

incest on the subway
Jan 2, 2007
I don't hold it against anyone who decides to abstain because they don't believe in the values of their party's candidate. Folks need to be more willing to switch parties or go independent or vote for the Other Biden.
I only hold it against them when they complain about the outcome. Any Democrat who doesn't vote doesn't get to complain about 4 more years of Trump.

Afro Republican

GAF>INTERNET>GAF, BITCHES
Aug 24, 2016
People forget that yang CNN contract, he likely wouldn't have endorsed anyone if not for that.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
Would you say that Republicans were sheep after they rallied around Trump after he became the presumptive nominee in 2016? Its a two-party system. The countries largest third party is pathetic and can't seem to win anything higher than a low level, local government position.
Nope, because Trump isn't establishment, he helped awaken them from the Establishment NeoCon grip.

People forget that yang CNN contract, he likely wouldn't have endorsed anyone if not for that.
There's always a price.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful

TrainedRage

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2018
USA
A democratic nominee supporting his party??? What?!?!

I swear some of y’all have never seen an election before.

belmarduk

Nov 19, 2019
Nope, because Trump isn't establishment, he helped awaken them from the Establishment NeoCon grip.
He is the incumbent president. It doesn't get much more establishment than that. Look at the margins in the Republican primaries. The GOP is definitely rallying around him.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
He is the incumbent president. It doesn't get much more establishment than that. Look at the margins in the Republican primaries. The GOP is definitely rallying around him.
And the NeoCons are a mere fart in the wind now.

He did a great job cleaning the party out and uniting it once again when it was in shambles.

Trump bent the knee to noone, unlike these frauds collecting their pittance on the other side. Straight bending both knees.

Last edited:
Reactions: bucyou

Woo-Fu

incest on the subway
Jan 2, 2007
Krystal agrees with you.

She is pissed. :)

Last edited:

AaronB

May 5, 2013
Yang always said he'd back the nominee. Biden has become the nominee. Coming this late, it's not a very shocking endorsement and not detracting from the chance Bernie had. He had said endorsing UBI would go a long way toward earning his endorsement earlier. It looks like he wanted Bernie to endorse UBI and join him, but he never did, and now Biden has it locked up.

Bernie supporters on twitter demanded that Yang and his supporters endorse Bernie, but Bernie never seemed willing to make any concessions. In fact, Bernie surrogates and supporters were active in spreading misinformation about UBI and other Yang policies. If Bernie had added UBI to his platform and reached out to Yang and his supporters BEFORE Super Tuesday, maybe things would have been different.

I'm not inclined to vote for Bernie or Biden unless they make Yang and his policies a major part of their administration. Right now, I'd give 85% odds of Trump winning reelection, probably in a landslide unless something major changes.

Pumpkin Seeds

Jul 13, 2018
In my view, if the left really wanted to beat Trump no matter what then they would have aligned behind a progressive like Bernie (Or Liz if she didn't give off such a untrustworthy vibe). That way they retain the youth and prog vote. By being aligned behind Biden, the most establishment like guy, they forego the rest of their party.

I think due to having installed more surrogates of their ilk around Trump, they don't fear 4 more years of Trump. They will say the opposite, but their actual choices and actions will show the truth. I don't recognize the political landscape as being left/right in its divide. It is insider/outsider at war, and that difference has a lot to do with foreign policy and non-democratic notions of globalist order. I look at who was attacked and shut down, and how they attacked Trump. It almost always comes back to foreign policy and manufacturing fear of nations not within the Western Global Inc agenda. Tulsi was against the regime change wars. She was immediately blacklisted. Bernie was the least likely to start new wars and as quickly as he stepped out in front, the DNC had two candidates take dives and the party coalesce around a war friendly candidate.

And I don't think Yang understands this. He never speaks of it.

Reactions: AaronB

Madonis

Oct 21, 2018
Let's be honest. Andrew Yang was never as progressive as Bernie Sanders. He would rather back Biden and the math does seem to work out, atm.

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
Would you say that Republicans were sheep after they rallied around Trump after he became the presumptive nominee in 2016? Its a two-party system. The countries largest third party is pathetic and can't seem to win anything higher than a low level, local government position.
Trump didn't run on a campaign of revolution.

And in case you forgot, there were a ton of reps and "never trumpers" around even after he won

Riven326

Would place his sister in the spank bank.
Mar 25, 2019
United States
So see, me talking shit about Andrew Yang doesn't look so bad does it? I was ahead of the curve. I was beyond everyone and I was crucified for it by some member who called me a cunt.

Well who's the cunt now, fucker? Never trust the Asians. Rules to live by and stuff. Seriously though, is he going to be in Rush Hour 3 or not? I'm tired of waiting.

pennythots

May 14, 2019
So see, me talking shit about Andrew Yang doesn't look so bad does it? I was ahead of the curve. I was beyond everyone and I was crucified for it by some member who called me a cunt.

Well who's the cunt now, fucker? Never trust the Asians. Rules to live by and stuff. Seriously though, is he going to be in Rush Hour 3 or not? I'm tired of waiting.

Bonfires Down

Jul 31, 2007
That's unfortunate but I think it's fair enough. As long as the election system is the way it is, Yang is right to endorse Biden even if he only sees Biden as the lesser of two evils compared to Trump. As much as I want Bernie to win, he is pretty much done for at this point.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Jun 26, 2007
Best Coast
Yang:

Tulsi:

Also Yang:

An interesting note about Yang's thought process here

Yang hopes that Biden is going to veer towards change, but he also acknowledges that Biden's "Obama days" nostalgia tour isn't going to work on those people who were struggling during that time either. I really don't think Biden is going to veer very much, just like Clinton. He is status quo, through and through.

Threatening not to vote for him is more useful if one wants leverage.

Last edited: