• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android is not a "Productivity / Gaming" OS yet we keep trying to make it is so [RANT]

Im using the Microsoft Surface Duo phone at the moment. One of the biggest pitch for foldable devices is "productivity" which only extends to using two apps at once. But that's not it.

For gaming, are we really content with gaming on the go on an OS like Android and iOS for the next 10 20 years?

Of course, we will still have a casual market that will be fine with that. But as we see the rise in UMPC like Steam Deck, there is obviously a niche market growing for mobile gaming non andriod.

theres gotta be a better OS in the future

teezzy

Banned
71kOcbOeLNL._AC_SX679_.jpg

51FMjaFKYNL.jpg

I'll be okay

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Used android for years and years till I made the jump to iPhones on Friday and it’s much more capable than android I can tell already (except the stupid screen cap on iPhones!) it’s much better. They will keep evolving though. Once all iPhones,Mac, and iPads run the same os it will probably evolve more so. I assume android will too.

im sure we will see another big player join in the next few years too.

Apple, if they wanted, could actually create a good mobile gaming ecosystem with their Apple Arcade subscription. Instead, we have low level quality games there that in no way can replace dedicated handheld games. Imagine games with the quality of PSVita and 3DS ones running on an iPhone (it's clearly possible, they just don't want it).

Drew1440

What exactly is a productivity/gaming OS? I always thought android did both well?
Shame windows phones didn't take off, wonder what the ecosystem would have looked like.
UWP would have been a game changer for sure, I remember on the Lumia 950 you could plug it into a USB-C monitor or a dock and use it as a desktop pc. Imagine the same application executable being able to run on your PC, phone and Xbox. Android is kind of close to that, I can run most apks on my phone and shield TV, but there's not compatibility with any desktop Linux distros

Tams

Im using the Microsoft Surface Duo phone at the moment. One of the biggest pitch for foldable devices is "productivity" which only extends to using two apps at once. But that's not it.

For gaming, are we really content with gaming on the go on an OS like Android and iOS for the next 10 20 years?

Of course, we will still have a casual market that will be fine with that. But as we see the rise in UMPC like Steam Deck, there is obviously a niche market growing for mobile gaming non andriod.

theres gotta be a better OS in the future
It suffices.

But I tried using only Samsung DeX (supposedly the best Android desktop environment) for a few months when all my Windows/Limnux capable computers decided to die. I got by, but it was constantly frustrating in some way.

I can't tell you the relief it was to get back to a proper OS.

Android's UI just wastes screen real estate, most of the apps aren't anywhere near as good and some just plain not available. iOS is considerably better, but there are querks there, still a limit selection of apps (just not as much) and of course the lock-in to the Apple walled garden.

Top Bottom