• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcubed

I can do the same thing with virgin mobile or metropcs, but neither of those networks will activate that phone.

Tmobile used to have a cheaper plan for BYO phones, but phased it out, and AT&T has never offered it.

Walmarts Tmobile plan

Unlimited (5 gig before throttle) web and text + 100 minutes - 30/month

Futureman

does the search box not work for others on Google Play? Trying to search an artist and it goes to an all white screen that says "We're sorry, the requested URL was not found on this server" with a Google Play search box right under that. Happens for anything I search for. Not sure if it's IE 9 acting up (at work).

Walmarts Tmobile plan

Unlimited (5 gig before throttle) web and text + 100 minutes - 30/month

IIRC walmart's BYO plan only works on phones bought AT walmart (though i can't get a straight answer on this- I'm getting yes and no from a dozen websites). and 100 minutes a month of talk time is ridiculously low- You can find totally unlimited plans at some of the smaller carriers (metroPCS?) for $45.

The previous point you made was that post paid plan was cheaper.

You current point is that phones are not usable on every carrier. I don't have an disagreement with that.

I didn't say a post paid plan was CHEAPER, I said that for most consumers, selecting a post paid plan that meets their pricing AND coverage needs is BETTER, since it's not likely most consumers are going to be jumping back and forth between AT&T and Tmobile- which is the primary benefit of an unlocked phone.

This is because (as we know) speeds and coverage between the big four varies a lot from region to region. An unlocked GSM phone that works on AT&T and Tmobile isn't going to do me a whole lot of good if Tmobile service near my house is terrible. It becomes an expensive AT&T phone- I might as well have just bought it subsidized from AT&T in the first place. Or Maybe verizon offers LTE where i am, and AT&T doesn't? If it were possible to cart the phone between all large carriers and get all the benefits that would be one thing, but there simply aren't enough carriers that support GSM in the states to make an unlocked phone worth the increased upfront cost.

tino

Banned
IIRC walmart's BYO plan only works on phones bought AT walmart. and 100 minutes a month? lol.

No you can used any phone (except the TMobile brand usb devices) I had to buy a $40 phone from Walmart to activate the plan.

But people on Howardforums swore you can activate the plan with the $1 sim card from tmobile.com

I didn't say a post paid plan was CHEAPER, I said that for most consumers, selecting a post paid plan that meets their pricing AND coverage needs is BETTER.

This is because (as we know) speeds and coverage between the big four varies a lot from region to region. An unlocked GSM phone that works on AT&T and Tmobile isn't going to do me a whole lot of good if Tmobile service near my house is terrible.
Maybe verizon offers LTE where i am, and AT&T doesn't?

An unlocked GSM phone in that situation ends up being more up front, with poorer service in the long run.

Post paid plan only has the benefit of roaming. If you are willing to pay $$$ for roaming. Then go ahead. It doesn't make post paid plans "better". They charge more for more features.

Donos

facebook app got an update today. is it usable again? switched to the mobile browser version some month ago, after an update made it really slow and shitty.

Why we are snoring up the android thread with talk about phone plans ill never know... in my desperation i even went into the gnex thread...

More One X and New Galaxy sPhone talk please

Or app talk at least..what are the newest great apps nowadays

jokkir

facebook app got an update today. is it usable again? switched to the mobile browser version some month ago, after an update made it really slow and shitty.

Can you check if you can remove the apps (Camera and Messenger) it automatically installs for you? Worst update because of that. Made me uninstall it too...

gcubed

The last update fixed my issues. This update was to semi fix a shitty thing they did. They added a camera and messenger icon to your drawer with similar icons to the Android stock apps. They changed the color and added a FB icon

Donos

Can you check if you can remove the apps (Camera and Messenger) it automatically installs for you? Worst update because of that. Made me uninstall it too...

I could remove the messenger app since i had it already before (it's listed under apps and in the Adao Uninstaller) but i can't find "Kamera". Have the Icon in my drawer too but it's not listed under apps or in Adao Uninstaller.

i've been messing around with fastfacebook, and it's great.

Will try this. Thanks.

gcubed

I tried it before. The UI is kinda ugly imo. I really like Friendcaster but too bad it doesn't show everyone's status updates and such.

i couldn't keep friendcaster because it was missing too much. Photos rarely showed up on posts in groups.

Fatalah

I need some help. What's the best/most stable ROM for the original Incredible? I've only rooted a Touchpad, so I'm pretty new to this.

So Chrome for Android is supposed to come out of beta in a matter of weeks...

That makes me wonder if they will replace the stock browser with it completely or if they will leave it behind for flash support...

Donos

I tried it before. The UI is kinda ugly imo. I really like Friendcaster but too bad it doesn't show everyone's status updates and such.
Yeah, first thing i thought is that it really looks fugly. I will give it another chance but my initial impression is not so good.

rozay

Banned
IIRC walmart's BYO plan only works on phones bought AT walmart (though i can't get a straight answer on this- I'm getting yes and no from a dozen websites). and 100 minutes a month of talk time is ridiculously low- You can find totally unlimited plans at some of the smaller carriers (metroPCS?) for $45.

I didn't say a post paid plan was CHEAPER, I said that for most consumers, selecting a post paid plan that meets their pricing AND coverage needs is BETTER, since it's not likely most consumers are going to be jumping back and forth between AT&T and Tmobile- which is the primary benefit of an unlocked phone.

This is because (as we know) speeds and coverage between the big four varies a lot from region to region. An unlocked GSM phone that works on AT&T and Tmobile isn't going to do me a whole lot of good if Tmobile service near my house is terrible. It becomes an expensive AT&T phone- I might as well have just bought it subsidized from AT&T in the first place. Or Maybe verizon offers LTE where i am, and AT&T doesn't? If it were possible to cart the phone between all large carriers and get all the benefits that would be one thing, but there simply aren't enough carriers that support GSM in the states to make an unlocked phone worth the increased upfront cost.
use an at&t prepaid MVNO then

tino

Banned
Hey, my Xperia Play's been giving me more problems recently. Will ICS fix this...?

Xperia Play (ATT) is really my most disappointed Android device. And I have owned close to 10. Well I still want the buttons I will keep it for a while. In fact I prefer it over PSV. When is anyone going to hack the Vita.

jokkir

i couldn't keep friendcaster because it was missing too much. Photos rarely showed up on posts in groups.

Yeah. Which is too bad since it looks much better than Facebook and is a lot faster as well.

So Chrome for Android is supposed to come out of beta in a matter of weeks...

That makes me wonder if they will replace the stock browser with it completely or if they will leave it behind for flash support...

Where'd you see this? I seriously want to switch over but there are so many things going against it. It kinda feels too bloated or at least on my Nexus S :\

tino

Banned
It looks like Galaxy Note is coming to TMobile. I think I will get it instead of the Galaxy Nexus. I am willing to pay 100 more for the Best Galaxy.

Circle T

The real one also I assume since its non lte !
If it's like the GSII, it will be Qualcomm'd. IIRC, like the lack of LTE, Samsung doesn't yet make an Exynos SoC with 42mbps HSPA+. T-Mo's GSII was basically the same as the AT&T Skyrocket, just with 42mbps HSPA+ instead of LTE, so I would guess their Note will follow suit.

RS4-

Ugh, I'll wait for SIII news but I may have to ask a relative in the US to get the Nexus for me.

Sadly the google play link doesn't work, neither does searching for it on the site lol

tino

Banned
If it's like the GSII, it will be Qualcomm'd. IIRC, like the lack of LTE, Samsung doesn't yet make an Exynos SoC with 42mbps HSPA+. T-Mo's GSII was basically the same as the AT&T Skyrocket, just with 42mbps HSPA+ instead of LTE, so I would guess their Note will follow suit.

I am sure its the ATT version with a different firmware.

Maybe the hackers can flash the TMo firmware/baseband to the ATT version.

jokkir

How's everyone finding Google Currents compared to, lets say, Pulse or even Rapture? I used Current a while back but it was kinda meh back then.

This. I <3 full-screen and quick controls on my GN.

Also needs to be holo themed.
lolwut

It's already Holo themed:

JZuddWgT4SA720oGMP2L4bjHy37y_ytyb5Xe0WArvGxZPXWppFn3Eyj5ZpflPlmz9to

lolwut

It's already Holo themed:

JZuddWgT4SA720oGMP2L4bjHy37y_ytyb5Xe0WArvGxZPXWppFn3Eyj5ZpflPlmz9to

Too much white and beigey-grey going on for my liking. If Chrome is going to replace the stock browser it needs to adopt a similar colour scheme so it blends into the os better (ie. Black, grey and blue).

And all that white isn't good for my GN battery either.

Too much white and beigey-grey going on for my liking. If Chrome is going to replace the stock browser it needs to adopt a similar colour scheme so it blends into the os better (ie. Black, grey and blue).

That's the Chrome aesthetic, I doubt they're going to change that as the default theme; but of course they will allow you to theme it to different colors and etc.

kinggroin

Banned
Give me full screen browsing natively (I can already sorta do it with a mod) in chrome, along with quick controls or better gestures.

Also fix the shitastic initial scrolling!

gcubed

Give me full screen browsing natively (I can already sorta do it with a mod) in chrome, along with quick controls or better gestures.

Also fix the shitastic initial scrolling!

what shitastic initial scrolling? it doesnt even scroll. makes me want to punch it

gcubed

That bad? I thought you mentioned earlier that you're using it exclusively.

i am, which is why i want to punch it. Its not constantly, but it happens enough to annoy me. It just pauses there, then it pops up with a not responding window, push wait, and it works.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state

You'd love the One X browser. Darker colors and fast page rendering.

SimleuqiR

http://androidandme.com/2012/04/smartphones-2/google-picks-samsung-for-4th-generation-nexus-phone

According to Digitimes sources, Samsung has won the contract for Google’s next phone. They report, ”Since Samsung has become the top vendor of Android smartphones, Google will continue to have Samsung develop its next-generation Nexus models, leveraging Samsung’s innovation ability with regard to the Android platform, and its ability to control the supply of key components.”

nooooo_answer_2_xlarge.jpeg

I guess we will have to wait until the Nexus 5 for a true Google phone?

JCX

How's everyone finding Google Currents compared to, lets say, Pulse or even Rapture? I used Current a while back but it was kinda meh back then.

I prefer Current's layout to Pulse, but I use both to mostly store articles in Pocket (read it later).

RJM77

I tend to use Pulse on my phone (on the bus) and Currents on my tablet (at home). The last update really improved Currnets. It used to take forever to sync all of the news sources. But now it syncs individual news sources that you want to read that second.

I just find Currents to be more visually appealing, and Pulse is good for quick reading and scanning all of the news stories.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom