• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT8| ConFuchsia say beta is better

I'd like to congratulate Pyro on his gimmick posting today. Riling people up like bboy without the inevitable ban.
nothing I was saying was really wrong though lol. My shit talking of Samsung was pretty exaggerated but other than that I was just dropping faxxx.
so it's splash proof?

I wouldn't be surprised if that's all it was but I guarantee you they frame the loss of the headphone jack as the reason they're now IP67 or 68 or whichever is the good one. Even though everyone knows it's possible without doing that. I don't care about the jack either way but google is in an awkward spot after their shit talking about having one last year so. feel like they have to bring it up in some way and that's the easiest way to do it.

re: Stephen hall,I think iOS overall is better than android but the things android does better it does way better. Like notification FFS apple taking their time when you know in the end they will likely just copy android on it. As they should because it's good.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Also, happening
DJo5VJoVwAEsUhU.jpg

There's a link for this at the bottom of the Google homepage now.

Just noticed the Play Store mobile site finally has an "open in play store app" button. It's always annoying how store links on some sites don't open the app.

Quixzlizx

nothing I was saying was really wrong though lol. My shit talking of Samsung was pretty exaggerated but other than that I was just dropping faxxx.

I think the notch makes it uglier than $100 Android phones, so I guess I don't agree with you, then.

That wasn't even hyperbole on my part, either. My old Blue Life One X was perfectly bland and unnoticeable, which is an upgrade on cringing whenever I look at something.

dcll

Banned
After seeing the slickdeals post on google giving Pixels as 6p replacements I am scanning locally for a used 6p!

I'm going to really try for the Pixel XL for the replacement of my Nexus 6P. Apparently, with the one reddit post:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Nexus6P/com...op_rma_thread/

Anyone in NA with a 64GB 6P (like me and have bought from the Google Play Store) have been getting brand new 128GB Pixel XL phones. Not everyone, but when they do replace them. We'll see.

Canada only gets 32GB, but yeah. Just got my replacement Pixel in the mail. Whole process with Google Chat took about 10 minutes.

Hey guys, iPhone X looked a bit wank to me, so I'm about 99% I'm jumping ship and getting a note 8 tomorrow. I've got a couple questions which are probably dumb as hell but bear with me.

If I get a wireless charger, do I need to plug that into a wall socket? All the pictures I've seen show the chargers coming with a USB cable, but the one image I saw of an instructions booklet showed a diagram of the USB then being plugged into a USB plug socket. Would it be possible to plug that USB into the back of my keyboard for example, so I can keep my desk clutter free as possible?

And I suppose the next question is difficult, but.. please don't kill me, is android actually good now? And how is the Samsung variant? My only experience with android was from a real long time ago, maybe 7 years(ish) ago on a HTC and honestly it was jank as fuck. I've seen some videos and it looks alright, but things that I really remember and tbh didn't like, was the way that it was all so fractured back then. Like, a billion custom versions of different OS's all kinda doing different things but none really in a very polished way. I haven't followed android but it seems like that has gone away now, with Samsung and other companies kinda 'locking you in' to an OS? If anyone has any good links to any resources about that I'll gladly take em.

I think the second question is a bit broad, but jumping ship from iOS for the first time in absolutely years feels like kind of an unknown leap, especially for a device that's pretty much central to my life (sad as that is...). Anything you've got I'll take in, cheers guys.
it'll charge slower, but it will work.

you won't get wireless fast charging without the included Samsung adapter.

Seven years ago? Android is pretty polished now compared to then.

What exactly did you tell them and I assume you just had to provide your IEMI/Serial Number for the phone and whatnot? That easy?

I did it a bit over a week ago so I don't remember perfectly but basically:

- Told him that roughly 3-4 months ago I noticed that my phone battery was worsening rapidly and that it has continued to get worse to the point where it powers off at 45% battery, making it impossible to use reliably as using any semi-intensive app will cause the phone to die super quickly.
- Informed him of the troubleshooting steps I had taken (factory reset).
- Provided my phone IMEI.
- He then went to confirm whether he could do anything.
- Returned and said I was approved for a replacement phone and that I would receive a Google Pixel.
- Sent out an email with steps to follow for getting the replacement.

I did it a bit over a week ago so I don't remember perfectly but basically:

- Told him that roughly 3-4 months ago I noticed that my phone battery was worsening rapidly and that it has continued to get worse to the point where it powers off at 45% battery, making it impossible to use reliably as using any semi-intensive app will cause the phone to die super quickly.
- Informed him of the troubleshooting steps I had taken (factory reset).
- Provided my phone IMEI.
- He then went to confirm whether he could do anything.
- Returned and said I was approved for a replacement phone and that I would receive a Google Pixel.
- Sent out an email with steps to follow for getting the replacement.

Awesome. Would they be able to tell if I don't factory reset my phone? I really don't want to do that haha.

Awesome. Would they be able to tell if I don't factory reset my phone? I really don't want to do that haha.

No, if it's having early shutdown issues due to the battery I wouldn't bother actually factory resetting it. I did my factory reset 2-3 months ago early on when I started noticing the issues and it didn't fix anything.

No, if it's having early shutdown issues due to the battery I wouldn't bother actually factory resetting it. I did my factory reset 2-3 months ago early on when I started noticing the issues and it didn't fix anything.

Yeah mine has some serious early shutdown issues. And Bluetooth issues as well. It's a fucking mess.

Agent

I did the process last Friday and got a Pixel XL delivered on Tuesday. They asked troubleshooting steps and I just said factory reset, deleted some apps, cleared cache, etc. They said something about it being with the last update and I said it was happening even before that (which the battery has been an issue for months). They came back and said it was out of warranty but to hold. Came back 5 minutes later and said good news, we're sending you a Pixel XL to replace it. Just make sure you're ready to have a $800 credit card hold until you send the 6p back.

The Pixel XL is nice, but I do kind of miss the 6p a little bit. Mainly the stereo speakers....the XL speaker is horrible in comparison. Camera is about the same and it's also nice to not deal with the 810 chip going into a meltdown after 3 minutes of use. I was planning on getting the Pixel XL 2 when it releases so this is a nice stop gap until then. Yesterday was the first day a phone has lasted all day without a charge in months. It was up to 4.5 hours of screen on time and I was still at 20% battery. I didn't know what to do with myself lol.

Kind of sucks watching what a gorgeous phone the LG V30 is and knowing Google likely won't use any of the things that make it so nice (Dual cameras, MicroSD, wireless charging, DAC) in the Pixel XL 2. :(

I did the process last Friday and got a Pixel XL delivered on Tuesday. They asked troubleshooting steps and I just said factory reset, deleted some apps, cleared cache, etc. They said something about it being with the last update and I said it was happening even before that (which the battery has been an issue for months). They came back and said it was out of warranty but to hold. Came back 5 minutes later and said good news, we're sending you a Pixel XL to replace it. Just make sure you're ready to have a $800 credit card hold until you send the 6p back.

The Pixel XL is nice, but I do kind of miss the 6p a little bit. Mainly the stereo speakers....the XL speaker is horrible in comparison. Camera is about the same and it's also nice to not deal with the 810 chip going into a meltdown after 3 minutes of use. I was planning on getting the Pixel XL 2 when it releases so this is a nice stop gap until then. Yesterday was the first day a phone has lasted all day without a charge in months. It was up to 4.5 hours of screen on time and I was still at 20% battery. I didn't know what to do with myself lol.

Did you have to send back your 6P or no?

Asgaro

I'm dreaming of smashing mah balls so hard against V30's glass hnnngg it's not even funny.

Condensation. Condensation everywhre.

Hold me beer fam

I just picked up my almost five year old iPad 4 from the kitchen table after two weeks and the battery went down from 80-ish percent to 23 percent, with Telegram still running.

I know that Google is always talking about improving battery life and standby time with every major release, but the shit Apple is doing is insane and I'm wondering what it's going to take for Android to reach that level.

I assume they need their own SoC?

I just picked up my almost five year old iPad 4 from the kitchen table after two weeks and the battery went down from 80-ish percent to 23 percent, with Telegram still running.

I know that Google is always talking about improving battery life and standby time with every major release, but the shit Apple is doing is insane and I'm wondering what it's going to take for Android to reach that level.

it can't reach that level.

They should just use the Kirin 970 but I'm not sure if Huawei about to let third parties use it but maybe they can let Google use it who knows. Even still, they'd have to pay a king's ransom to allow for CDMA radios.

Top Bottom