• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT8| ConFuchsia say beta is better

Because lol China renders. Mi mix 2 sure looked nice once upon a time.

Cellphone folks came by the office again. Played with the v30. Looks great! Didn't notice any issues with the screen.

MCcIx8y.jpg

That is one ugly-ass weather widget.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The funniest parts of the last few pages is watching unknown try to talk himself away from the awesome note 8 into a Chinese phone. Ain't nobody going to back you up on that move, gotta make that jump on your own buddy lol.

The funniest parts of the last few pages is watching unknown try to talk himself away from the awesome note 8 into a Chinese phone. Ain't nobody going to back you up on that move, gotta make that jump on your own buddy lol.

I'm sure his disappointment was big enough to sell his Samsung stock.

This is such a strange thing to say when all phones are made in China. I'm just cutting out the middleman.

It has more or less come down to that Xiaomi or a OnePlus 5 and that's Chinese too. I'm not going to buy LG or HTC. So that's how it's going to be.

There's not a lot of real options in Android if you actually don't buy Samsung.

kaiyo

Almost up with Fido. Will go wherever for a good deal.

Not an option. unfortunately.

What's the reason, if you don't mind answering?

This is such a strange thing to say when all phones are made in China. I'm just cutting out the middleman.

It has more or less come down to that Xiaomi or a OnePlus 5 and that's Chinese too. I'm not going to buy LG or HTC. So that's how it's going to be.

What?

Chris R

Man, the pre-order deal for the G5S+ is really tempting :( I was hoping to have a slightly nicer phone and maybe something with a little less bezel, but for me at least, the G5S+ walks all over the Pixel 2 for half the price and it comes with a headphone port.

be together. not the same.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Damn, no one gives a fuck about the V30? I'm between that and the S8+, what ya think?

You gotta be insane to pay full value for v30. Will be under $500 within 2 months.

This.

People like the V30, but it's gonna price drop fast like the G6. Plus the S8+ has been out a while and the Note 8 is on the market which has pushed pricing lower if you look around.

V30 is a great phone. Your crazy to pay $750-$800 for it right now though.

Jeffrey

I played with a mix 2 in china a few weeks ago. The skin is bad. The bezels are pretty noticeable in person. Maybe if it was cheaper but importing for $600+... Idk man. Think my current plan is pixel 2 xl until op6, unless mate 10 is a true game changer and is sold in the US in a reasonable time frame.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I played with a mix 2 in china a few weeks ago. The skin is bad. The bezels are pretty noticeable in person. Maybe if it was cheaper but importing for $600+... Idk man. Think my current plan is pixel 2 xl until op6, unless mate 10 is a true game changer and is sold in the US in a reasonable time frame.

That's an issue too. Chinese phones for the US market due to import fees and the like mean they aren't as cheap as they are over there.

You effectively lose a lot of the deal.

This.

People like the V30, but it's gonna price drop fast like the G6. Plus the S8+ has been out a while and the Note 8 is on the market which has pushed pricing lower if you look around.

V30 is a great phone. Your crazy to pay $750-$800 for it right now though.

this.

unless you REALLY REALLY need that sweet Quad DAC this month, you can wait and pick it up for a song.

The China price is actually $600 though. There isn't some kind of crazy markup on the import stores at all.

Your idea of picking up a cheap OP3T is not a bad one. It doesn't seem like the OP5 is a huge change and the OP5 is sold out in the US anyways right now.

Edit: what's a good price for an OP3T these days?

Got an email from Google about my free google home mini I'm getting for preordering a pixel xl 2. Only 1 email even though I purchased to 2 XLs though.

longdi

Banned
I realize now that I definitely prefer more angular/less rounded phones like the Note 8 and Sony's stuff. Even looking at the small Pixel 2 versus the iPhone 8, the more monolithic look appeals to me more.

Same bro! Straight cuts look more classy than 4 rounded corners.Though Note8 is quite a nice mid-ground. However it is rather thick and rounded when looking from its sides.

Something about such design looks toyish imo
https://i.imgur.com/MCcIx8y.jpg

OP3T with 128 GB of storage isn't really that cheap....best price on Swappa is like $400.

Might as well just get the OP5 128 GB then for $140 more. It's hard to imagine the use case for 8 GB of RAM on an Android device but then again this is Android. It will find a way to use it up somehow.

OP5 is sold out like everywhere though...except in China lol. But I don't have to pay stupid tax if I import it. So it's actually cheaper for me to import a phone sold locally. Globalization is such a fickle mistress.

edit:

Goddammit. I just found out about the jelly-scrolling problem on the OP5. Idea goes in the trash along with me buying this phone.

mAcOdIn

XZ Premium =P
I'll be honest, I like Sony but did they ever fix that issue with the camera causing the phone to overheat and the app closing that the Z3 had? Because I heard the Xperia right after it also had that feature and I thought that was ridiculous, spec wise it was a nice camera, just, hope you didn't want to actually, you know, use it.

Is there any chance that Google might ship the new Pixel XL 2 phones ahead of the date that you've been given?

there's as much chance that you'll get it sooner as there is that you'll get it later lol

this is google, no Android OEM other than samsung has learned how to handle a supply chain.

So you're telling me there's a chance

yes there is! I can speak from a carrier perspective because I work at one but all the time we get these estimates and they're usually worst case scenarios. Usually...

edit: which by the way can I add that pre-order numbers have been absolutely abysmal lol. I'm talking barely cracking triple digits for the models. Think about that for a second. Obviously I don't live in the USA where there is shittons more people but still. Yet some of them have later shipping times so it just goes to show how dire the inventory situation is.

yes there is! I can speak from a carrier perspective because I work at one but all the time we get these estimates and they're usually worst case scenarios. Usually...

edit: which by the way can I add that pre-order numbers have been absolutely abysmal lol. I'm talking barely cracking triple digits for the models. Think about that for a second. Obviously I don't live in the USA where there is shittons more people but still. Yet some of them have later shipping times so it just goes to show how dire the inventory situation is.

Not shocked. It is a phone that is geared towards the US market. Gonna need a better strategy going forward. Hopefully a custom soc is coming

Jeffrey

OP3T with 128 GB of storage isn't really that cheap....best price on Swappa is like $400.

Might as well just get the OP5 128 GB then for $140 more. It's hard to imagine the use case for 8 GB of RAM on an Android device but then again this is Android. It will find a way to use it up somehow.

OP5 is sold out like everywhere though...except in China lol. But I don't have to pay stupid tax if I import it. So it's actually cheaper for me to import a phone sold locally. Globalization is such a fickle mistress.

edit:

Goddammit. I just found out about the jelly-scrolling problem on the OP5. Idea goes in the trash along with me buying this phone.
Dang. That's always the good thing about oneplus. Phones hold their value for some reason.

Also the jelly isn't really noticeable for me unless I scroll slowly up and down,ehich I never do. I'm fairly sensitive to framerate, yet this never bothered me.

Google's logistics for their hardware is absolutely abysmal.

I always say this but the problem with google is they have great software (mostly) and they're clearly capable of designing products that look good and function well. But they lack the engineering and operational skills to not only create truly cutting edge products like samsung/apple but also operationalize them through their (clearly non-existent) supply chain and deliver them to customers.

People under appreciate the work it takes to do something like that because companies like Apple do it so seemingly effortlessly.

I wonder if Google is hoping to take this much more seriously with their move to in-house engineers but that doesn't solve the supply chain thing.

kaiyo

I'll be honest, I like Sony but did they ever fix that issue with the camera causing the phone to overheat and the app closing that the Z3 had? Because I heard the Xperia right after it also had that feature and I thought that was ridiculous, spec wise it was a nice camera, just, hope you didn't want to actually, you know, use it.

well the one right after Z3 was Z3+/Z4 and then the Z5, both had the SD810, and we know what a clusterfuck the SD810 was. The XZ is decent, it can get pretty warm. For the XZ Premium they use a new cooling system and has very little heat build up. It can record 4k video pretty much endlessly.

I don't have $800.

Buy it on credit card, pay off ~$400 that month, and then pay like $30-$40 every month. There's your "tab" you get with carriers.

829 * tax = ~$936 - $400 = $536 / $35 = ~16 months to pay it off.

And get a ~$45 plan that will pop up for black friday that has 4gb of data or whatever.

NeOak

I'm fine with my Galaxy S8+, but somehow I don't feel excited anymore.

I look at new phones D:

I now understand Jeffrey

Jeffrey

I'm curious what the Xperia new design language will look like. If they wanna keep stereo speakers it's probably gonna end up looking a bit like pixel XL 2 if they go 18:9.

Dang. That's always the good thing about oneplus. Phones hold their value for some reason.

Also the jelly isn't really noticeable for me unless I scroll slowly up and down,ehich I never do. I'm fairly sensitive to framerate, yet this never bothered me.

Open development and lower entry price helps it maintain it's resale value. If it's opening price started at $800 it wouldn't. Just look at the Pixel. Dropped to $400 from $800 within a year. I don't even notice the jelly effect any more. My eyes have completely adjusted, even when going between phones. I will say the lower resolution of the screen is very noticeable though when going to devices with nicer 1440P screens.

snacknuts

we all knew her
I always say this but the problem with google is they have great software (mostly) and they're clearly capable of designing products that look good and function well. But they lack the engineering and operational skills to not only create truly cutting edge products like samsung/apple but also operationalize them through their (clearly non-existent) supply chain and deliver them to customers.

People under appreciate the work it takes to do something like that because companies like Apple do it so seemingly effortlessly.

I wonder if Google is hoping to take this much more seriously with their move to in-house engineers but that doesn't solve the supply chain thing.

They hired Rick Osterloh to help sort this out. He's only been around a little over a year and this is not the kind of thing you get squared away overnight. Apple and Samsung have both had a very long time to get their operations houses in order.

Jeffrey

hmmm... still trying to parse whats exclusive about the pixel 2. bixby button/squeeze. bixby vision (I assume ppl will just mod the camera apk again).

Like is there any new features to take advantage of the larger screen? LG and samsung been playing around with those. Can you crop videos to be full screen on youtube?

I'm curious what the Xperia new design language will look like. If they wanna keep stereo speakers it's probably gonna end up looking a bit like pixel XL 2 if they go 18:9.
Hopefully Sony's has smaller side bezels, as that's the only real problem I have with the XL 2's design. Top and bottom bezels are still relatively small given the stereo speakers, but those side bezels are as big as the ones on the iPhone X.

Top Bottom