• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT8| ConFuchsia say beta is better

Saiyan-Rox

My Pixel got delayed in the post till tomorrow and my N4 was getting annoying on Nougat. Flashed marshmallow and it's so much better. Makes me miss the old lockscreen notifications I like the way they aren't going all the wah across the screen.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The S8 screen size is like an inch bigger than the iPhone 7, I'm sure it'll take a little getting used to.

That's deceptive because the s8 uses the tall screen and it has so little bezel that physically they are actually very close despite the massive difference in screen size.

PudieRSC

The V30 finally got a release date of Oct 20 in Canada and I think that's what I'm gonna go with. Just gotta hope there's a really good Black Friday offer on that as well.

That said, my phone is paid off after the next bill and I've never really dealt with retention for my mobile device. Is it worth calling my carrier(Fido) to see what they can do or am I just better off going wherever the best deal is?

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
The authorization for my Panda XL2 disappeared. I know it's supposed to, but it'd be damn nice if they came earlier than November

Oppomart already created a listing for the OnePlus 5t, but it just seems to lead to the 5 for now. https://www.oppomart.com/oneplus/op5t.html

-edit- they added specs

- 6-inch quad HD screen, 18:9 aspect rate display resolution
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 quad-core processor, up to 2.45GHz
- 6GB/8GB LPDDR4X RAM, 64GB/128GB USF 2.1 storage
- 20MP+16MP rear dual-camera, F2.6/F1.6 Aperture
- Global 4G LTE bands supported, 34 network bands
- Rear fingerprint scanner and Face ID

Jeffrey

4I618W3.jpg

Pixel XL 2 vs v30 10% brightness no auto brightness on.

Oppomart already created a listing for the OnePlus 5t, but it just seems to lead to the 5 for now. https://www.oppomart.com/oneplus/op5t.html

-edit- they added specs

Is this their official store or resaler making things up?

If it's actually qhd I might be in for $600ish.

4I618W3.jpg

Pixel XL 2 vs v30 10% brightness no auto brightness on.

Is this their official store or resaler making things up?

If it's actually qhd I might be in for $600ish.

I don't think it's official. They are usually right about models but if I remember they've gotten specs wrong before.

-edit- they added specs

If it's 1440p and the screen is mounted right side up I'm in. Goodbye Pixel 2 XL.

TAKE ALL MY PERSONAL DATA CHINA

Quixzlizx

Go back and read my original post. I specifically said without any use.

My iPhone 7+, which I don't use now I have my Note8, has been going 3 days with no use and no need for charge. It could probably go another day. That is what standby time is - when the phone is not being used.

iOS in my experience is much better than Android there - and a quick google would suggest this is fairly commonly understood and agreed.

I think it depends on what apps you have installed (which isn't really a defense for Google, since they shouldn't be allowing rogue apps to drain your battery on standby).

If I left my S8+ alone, it'd last for at least five days. With my normally light usage, my battery is in the 80-85% range at bedtime.

Jeffrey

Heard the 5T was only HD+, much like the oppo mentioned earlier
Yeah I needa get back into qhd land. Honestly the main reason I'm interested in getting a pixel lol.

S8+ at qhd mode looked great. So sharp. Ran like butt though. It defaults to 1080p for a reason.

Heck xz premium looked great at 4k*.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
HTC sent me a U11 for winning one of their 10*08 contests last week

And it's the red one - the color I returned to them lol

Jeffrey

HTC sent me a U11 for winning one of their 10*08 contests last week

And it's the red one - the color I returned to them lol
Gratz on winning a contest.

Never won shit in my life lol.

Also new zte nubia. Also 18:9.

Man if your phone ain't 18:9 in 2018...(motorola/htc).

Two days ago Google announced that they're integrating video calling into Android directly.

We want to make it even easier to start a video call from your Android device, so we’re making video calling an integrated part of your phone. You can now start a video call directly from where you call or text message your friends, through your Phone, Contacts, and Android Messages apps. Later this year, we’ll also add the ability to upgrade an ongoing voice call to video with just a tap.

We’re starting to roll out integrated video calling to first-generation Pixel, Android One, and Nexus devices, and it will also be available on Pixel 2 phones. We’re working with our carrier and device partners to bring this experience to more Android devices over time.

https://www.blog.google/products/duo/making-video-calling-easier-your-android-phone/

Seems like kind of a big deal? Where does it leave Duo?

Jeffrey

It's being rebadged and sold as the Archos Diamond Omega in Europe and other parts of the world:

http://www.archos.com/gb/products/sm...ega/index.html
https://twitter.com/natalybs/status/918451015875268608

499 Euro

I like the name lol.

hope we start seeing some 18:9 android one devices next year!

I do kinda wonder, if xiaomi is doing one.... maybe huawei? The main reason they didn't make the pixel was the lack of branding.

Google seems fine with android one devices having company branding on the case.

something like the honor 7x with stock android for like $250ish?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Omg guys the coral blue looks even better in real life. I love it. If anyone had told me a few years ago when the galaxy s5 came out that in 2017 Samsung would out-design Apple....and also have less buggy software? Hell na.

-edit- they added specs

OIS on camera and this will be a done deal

Quixzlizx

Do you guys think this car mount would be OK for an S8+, or would any side mounting mount be not so great for an Edge screen?

The problem with a top/bottom mount is that it'll cover up the headphone jack, which I'd need for the aux cable.

Jeffrey

Do you guys think this car mount would be OK for an S8+, or would any side mounting mount be not so great for an Edge screen?

The problem with a top/bottom mount is that it'll cover up the headphone jack, which I'd need for the aux cable.
Should be fine. Especially if you have a case. I have a similar style mount and works fine with the s8+.

Quixzlizx

Should be fine. Especially if you have a case. I have a similar style mount and works fine with the s8+.

Thanks. I go naked, but I'll still try it out and see how it is.

I think everyone who calls it slippery is crazy, or maybe it just fits perfectly in my hand.

Edwardo

-edit- they added specs

Does this mean it will work better in Verizon than older versions?

I bought a cheapo $5 side-gripping car mount from TJ Maxx and it has worked great so far.

It doesn't touch the screen of my S7, and the S8 I think has less of a severe curve to the screen, so it should be even safer even without a case.

NotBacon

Pixel 2 XL is great in person. Super solid build, great screen, loud speakers, buttery smooth performance. As for the screen: it wasn't too bright at the lowest setting, no banding issues, and the screen did seem a little "sunken in". I only noticed it because it's been mentioned though, it's not a bother.

Normal Pixel 2: bezels are big, but it's still one sharp looking phone in person. I'd buy it if I wanted a tiny phone.

Are you guys really comfortable even considering the 5T? Didn't OnePlus say Oreo will be the last update for the 3T which came out a year ago...

Pixel 2 XL is great in person. Super solid build, great screen, loud speakers, buttery smooth performance. As for the screen: it wasn't too bright at the lowest setting, no banding issues, and the screen did seem a little "sunken in". I only noticed it because it's been mentioned though, it's not a bother.

Normal Pixel 2: bezels are big, but it's still one sharp looking phone in person. I'd buy it if I wanted a tiny phone.

It's sad that the pixel 2 is considered tiny. On that note, my only feedback on trying a 2 XL is that it's absolutely fucking MASSIVE. Like it's a big phone. The rest of it is normal/what you'd expect. Struck me as the phone google should have released last year.

andthebeatgoeson

Thanks for the impressions.

Jeffrey

Impressions on reddit is that the normal one feels really nice in the hand.

The phone not being wedge shaped anymore helps with balance.

How does the Nokia 6 compare to other budget Android phones around $200? Any competitors I should be looking at?

Specs are way worse than the competition. Should have had a sd625.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Two days ago Google announced that they're integrating video calling into Android directly.

https://www.blog.google/products/duo/making-video-calling-easier-your-android-phone/

Seems like kind of a big deal? Where does it leave Duo?

The video call option appears to actually load Duo, so maybe they will integrate it or they will require people to have it installed for that function to appear.

This!

Unlike Google and other messaging shit that all seemed to be different this seems to be actually building on their current system. They just seem to be basically taking Duo and embedding it into Android itself.

Of the two Alo and Duo I'd have to say Duo is the much better product. The video connection and quality is actually rather legit. It's just hard to get use out of when it's not built in.

Top Bottom