• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Andy Signore's "Thor is 1 gender change my mind"

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I don't read Thor comics. But I thought the hammer chose who was worthy, so theoretically it can obviously choose a woman. But taking Thor's name is just dumb. Captain America wasn't Thor when he used the hammer, he was Captain America with a hammer.

It could be done well if they didn't lean into the feminist bullshit so hard. And they have to really go out of their way to prove that someone is worthy of the hammer, which is the whole point of the damn hammer.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Just create a new fucking comic char with a new name, new story, new enemies, new content.
New
NEW
NEW
NEW
Don't flip what is already a very known and established char.
((new))

Their indoctrination always fails when swapping race, gender, and taking offense to it; if said race and gender is white and male.

Cognitive dissonance.

Last edited:

cr0w

Old Member
I don't read Thor comics. But I thought the hammer chose who was worthy, so theoretically it can obviously choose a woman. But taking Thor's name is just dumb. Captain America wasn't Thor when he used the hammer, he was Captain America with a hammer.

It could be done well if they didn't lean into the feminist bullshit so hard. And they have to really go out of their way to prove that someone is worthy of the hammer, which is the whole point of the damn hammer.

It grants the "Power of Thor", not the name/title of Thor, so basically she's Jane Foster with Thor's powers. In the comics they had Thor referred to as Odinson while she took the title/hammer/powers, but that was probably just to avoid confusion or something. I dunno.

The movies have turned Thor into an absolute joke though, so it really can't get any worse.

Dthomp

I don't know how good it's gonna be but this game is screaming of VGA GOTY material, especially the fact it has bunch of big name actress as characters, so I'm guessing this game's budget is through the roof.
There's no way that they'll turn their new female superhero into a joke, she's going to be built up better than the real Thor ever was.

They can try, I don't have enough faith in that character (Jane), or the actress (Portman) to pull off a badass female Thor. They needed a taller more muscular female if they even wanted this role taken seriously, but we all know the reason we got female Thor already, because Disney does Disney so well.

IMO Thor should have been just put on the backburner completely for this phase much like it seems Hulk will be. Focus on your new movies, make some solid new additions to the roster, not repack Thor as awful Jane.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Thor is owned by a corporation who doesn't give a shit what anyone thinks. it is a brand and a property that can be rubber stamped and sold in any commercially viable form they can manage. Thor as a woman appears to be the next flavor. the fans do not own Thor. the actor does not own Thor. even the creator of Thor does not own Thor. a company owns Thor. so Thor will be whatever is most profitable for it to be, be it temporarily a woman, or whatever the hell they want to do in the future. these Marvel films are an endless production line, we must expect this shit to happen.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Vegan Thor.

roT0NYm.jpg

Such strength.

JCK75

I find it especially dumb in the context of the MCU in which the majority of Thor Ragnarok was spent with Odin speaking in the dream sequences trying to explain to Thor that the Hammer is nothing more than a tool for him to channel what is already inside of him (God of Thunder not God of Hammers)...
and then.. whoops, never mind, it's the hammer that makes a Tiny Woman into Thor.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Just create a new fucking comic char with a new name, new story, new enemies, new content.
New
NEW
NEW
NEW
Don't flip what is already a very known and established char.
((new))
That is not how western comics work.

Seems like this is the second time Jane has taken over Thors name. It's okay, Portman can borrow it until Hemsworth comes back

Nymphae

Banned
Got the fuck out once the guy said "they should just add in women as their own characters", and the girl hmmms and hawws over it like that's completely unacceptable. Like think about what you're asking for for a fucking second. We want more representation! Ok cool let's make some new awesome characters for you guys. NO we want your characters immasculated is what we meant.

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
How are they planning on bringing the Hammer back exactly? Its been returned to the alternate dimension...

kunonabi

There's no way that they'll turn their new female superhero into a joke, she's going to be built up better than the real Thor ever was.

Endgame turning him into a fat slob who's less worthy to hold his throne than a drunken slave trader who also manages to completely regress as a character unlike his brother Loki was pretty much totally setting up for this.

Last edited:

Doom85

Endgame turning him into a fat slob who's less worthy to hold his throne than a drunken slave trader who also manages to completely regress as a character unlike his brother Loki was pretty much totally setting up for this.

You do realize Hemsworth helped push this change, right? He was tired of Thor not really changing as a character, so from Ragnarok and beyond he insisted Thor go through some major changes. Thor going through depression was a natural turn of events after IW, and honestly he'll help the universe much more by getting out there and doing something instead of watching the small handful of Asgardians left so leaving with the Guardians makes sense to me.

kunonabi

You do realize Hemsworth helped push this change, right? He was tired of Thor not really changing as a character, so from Ragnarok and beyond he insisted Thor go through some major changes. Thor going through depression was a natural turn of events after IW, and honestly he'll help the universe much more by getting out there and doing something instead of watching the small handful of Asgardians left so leaving with the Guardians makes sense to me.

Hemsworth wants Thor to be comical because he's fallen in love with the narrative that he's a great comedic talent and he enjoys it more. He also likes playing to Twitter and taking potshots at the toxic fanboys so emasculating Thor to push Foster and Valkyrie isnt going to bother him.

A depression arc is one thing but playing it as a joke that goes for far too long and undoing all his character development is another.

Doom85

I mean, yeah a few of the jokes were a little insensitive but I don't think his character development was undone. Why waste such a powerful being just watching over a handful of people who can honestly take care of themselves (and for protection, well they're on Earth now, there's heroes everywhere). I'd rather Thor get out there and be on active duty then watching over a handful of people because it's his "legacy" or some bullshit.

And why not push Jane and Valkyrie? Sure, Hemsworth agreed to be back for two more movies, but for how much longer? Now I don't know how much longer Natalie Portman will stick around for, but Tessa Thompson is still pretty new so she might be around for a bit. And since Thor can now access his power by himself and also has the axe it's not like Jane taking the hammer will leave him powerless or anything. Also, I doubt the Russo Bros. even knew about Jane and Thor 4 being a thing when they were writing Endgame so I don't think they were "emasculating" him for that.

trikster40

But taking Thor's name is just dumb. Captain America wasn't Thor when he used the hammer, he was Captain America with a hammer.

I was just telling a friend the same thing. The only argument he could make is that Cap didn’t own the hammer, he was just worthy enough to wield it. If Thor becomes unworthy and the hammer chooses a new being, does that then make that wielder Thor? It shouldn’t change their name. What do we call Thor if he isn’t technically Thor? That’s his damn name.

bitbydeath

I was just telling a friend the same thing. The only argument he could make is that Cap didn’t own the hammer, he was just worthy enough to wield it. If Thor becomes unworthy and the hammer chooses a new being, does that then make that wielder Thor? It shouldn’t change their name. What do we call Thor if he isn’t technically Thor? That’s his damn name.

We call him Jane.
That’s just how things go with messy divorces.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I don't mind the Thor stuff at all. The comics have done all sorts of things with it, there have been multiple Thor's, even at the same time. One had to hold the hammer to remain as Thor. I see no issue if they keep true to the stories and don't eliminate the Thor that came first.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I find it especially dumb in the context of the MCU in which the majority of Thor Ragnarok was spent with Odin speaking in the dream sequences trying to explain to Thor that the Hammer is nothing more than a tool for him to channel what is already inside of him (God of Thunder not God of Hammers)...
and then.. whoops, never mind, it's the hammer that makes a Tiny Woman into Thor.
He wouldn't be the first father who was full of shit when trying to encourage his kids.

sol_bad

Can't watch the video at work but in the comics, Thor is always Thor, he doesn't change genders. Female Thor is Jane Foster, a completely different character. Thor gave his name to Jane and simply called himself Odinson. He did this because he was unworthy, he no longer stood for what the name Thor meant.

Can someone explain what this video is? Does the guy have comic book knowledge or is he just a dickwad?

Fbh

Can't watch the video at work but in the comics, Thor is always Thor, he doesn't change genders. Female Thor is Jane Foster, a completely different character. Thor gave his name to Jane and simply called himself Odinson. He did this because he was unworthy, he no longer stood for what the name Thor meant.

I don't read the comics and I don't really care about female Thor (not a particular fan of the casting though).
But isn't this silly? Isn't Thor his given name and not some sort of title or the name of his power? That's like like Steve Rogers passing on his shield and costume to someone else and being like "from now on.... YOU are Steve"

Last edited:

sol_bad

I can already see solbad defending it

If the movie blows, as in it's a terrible film, it will be Taika's fault since he is writing and directing it.
If the movie blows, as in it doesn't make enough money, it will be the fans fault but I wouldn't say it's due to sexism. The MCU has a massive male and female fan base, 5 out of the last 6 films have made over 1 billion dollars. If the film bombs financially, it means fans in general, male and female alike just weren't interested.

I've never blamed sexism as a reason for a film failing. I saw Ghostbusters 2016 and Oceans 8 at the cinemas, they were both average to good, not terrible disastrous films. The problem with Ocean 8 is that it had no "antagonist" trying to stop them, made the proceedings a bit dull. I blame their failure on their marketing and executive decisions.

I'm pretty positive I didn't call anyone in the Captain Marvel films sexist, I was just dumbfounded at how peoples hate for an actress can cloud their frame of mind so badly. If you do find a comment by me calling anyone sexist though, make sure you shove it in my face because I shouldn't be doing that, although context matters.
:)

Falcs

Banned
It's so damn stupid changing a characters gender just because.

I remember a few years ago there was a thread on here about Link being female in BOTW before it was released, and I swear 90% of posters in there wanted him to be changed. I seemed to be one of the only few who didn't understand why the hell they all wanted to change him.

Thank goodness all those morons have left here and gone to reset.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I don't read the comics and I don't really care about female Thor (not a particular fan of the casting though).
But isn't this silly? Isn't Thor his given name and not some sort of title or the name of his power? That's like like Steve Rogers passing on his shield and costume to someone else and being like "from now on.... YOU are Steve"

He goes by Odinson (his last name).

*Another poster beat me to it*

Top Bottom