• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Andy Signore's "Thor is 1 gender change my mind"

crowbrow

Banned
I have mixed feelings about this Video. A side of me wants to punch everyone involved. The other side is fascinated at how seriously people take this nonsense from both sides.

S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member
It's a movie based on a comic book. If you're genuinely hung up on the title going to a woman, you need to reevaluate your priorities in life.
It's. Not. A. Title.

See...
Beta Ray Bill
Thunderstrike

ExpandKong

Banned
Thor. Gave. His. Name. Away. Because. He. Was. Not. Worthy. Of. It.
No it's not a title, yes it's his name. But in terms of Norse mythology and the beliefs of people around the world/universe, he feels like he shouldn't use it anymore. It's his name and he can do with it what he wants.

This info has really put me in my place.

I have so much to learn still.

Someday I’ll be back and better than ever, but sol my friend, in the meantime, and for the good of NeoGAF and all of the internet

YOU shall be known as ExpandKong.

lol this is so stupid .. taking a mans actual name instead of using her name.. Also didn't they do the same thing to captain marvel?

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
lol this is so stupid .. taking a mans actual name instead of using her name.. Also didn't they do the same thing to captain marvel?

There were others who took up the name Captain Marvel. Carol Danvers is only the newest. His son, Monica Rambeau... They held that title before Carol did.

And Thor Odinson gave Jane his name until he was worthy of it again. She ended up dying because of her cancer...

S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member
The point is it's not some sacrosanct thing. Treating it like it is says more about our fixations than the work, and prevents us from simply enjoying something for what it is.
The point is it's his name. Not a title. Not 'Captain America'. Not 'Iron Man'. Not 'Green Goblin'. Not 'Green Lantern'. Not 'Venom''.

She has the power, not the godamn name.

And it is a load of bullshit anyway, imo, so it ain't enjoyable. To me.

S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member
Thor. Gave. His. Name. Away. Because. He. Was. Not. Worthy. Of. It.
No it's not a title, yes it's his name. But in terms of Norse mythology and the beliefs of people around the world/universe, he feels like he shouldn't use it anymore. It's his name and he can do with it what he wants.
Not worthy of the name your parents gave you?? That's fuckin hilarious!
He feels he's not worthy because of the bullshit Origin Sin storyline - even more hilarious!
It's his name and he can call other people it now - like he's George Foreman or something?? Is he brain damaged from a lifetime of protecting Asgard and he's having trouble remembering now. Just calls everyone Thor?

Instead of 'I am Groot', it's 'You are Thor'.

sol_bad

Not worthy of the name your parents gave you?? That's fuckin hilarious!
He feels he's not worthy because of the bullshit Origin Sin storyline - even more hilarious!
It's his name and he can call other people it now - like he's George Foreman or something?? Is he brain damaged from a lifetime of protecting Asgard and he's having trouble remembering now. Just calls everyone Thor?

Instead of 'I am Groot', it's 'You are Thor'.

It's what the name represents throughout the universe. Many people look up to and worship the Asgardians.

Andy is redpilled i see. Has anyone from screenjunkies apologized or anything? Did anyone stand up for him? Hal? Dan? Fat guy?

pel1300

Andy is redpilled i see. Has anyone from screenjunkies apologized or anything? Did anyone stand up for him? Hal? Dan? Fat guy?
No and they are in fact deleting comments demanding an update on the Andy Signore situation.

Andy Signore was super left leaning and hired a bunch of SJW types on his show. They threw him under the bus without due process.

I watched his thoughts on Marvel phase 4 announcements. He craps on it a little bit. He's not shilling for Disney at all that's for sure.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
If you're gonna be a girl named Thor you better grow a big manly beard.
thor-norse-mythology-nordisk-mytologi-nordisk-mythologi.jpg

latest

I mean sure he doesn't always have a beard but Thor is the least girly sounding name there is.

If these insane people had their way Thor would look like this
50bade17-9650-4e5a-acb7-fc1c8f211681.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Shes actually female thor in the comics. It's not anything New. Male Thor is deemed bot worthy so the mantle passes to Jane.

The "it's his name" people don't have a coherent point. It's in the history of the series, and will probably just got on for one movie. Relax, calm your emotions.

The "history of" five years ago, in a series that sold poorly and was terribly received by comic book fans at large.

MilkyJoe

There's a Norwegian fella on YouTube having a pop at Disney, calling them hypocrites, he says that making Thor a woman is cultural appropriation... and he's kind of right.

Reading through some of these dumbarse posts, say it to yourselves again but change Thor to Jesus or something. The only time Thor was a woman was when he dressed as Freya to retrieve his hammer from Jotunheim. Gave up his name indeed :messenger_smirking:

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Thor's power doesn't come from the Hammer thou....

oagboghi2

It's a movie based on a comic book. If you're genuinely hung up on the title going to a woman, you need to reevaluate your priorities in life.
I'm sorry, who are you to judge what people should care about?

No one says "it's a comic book movie" when people are praising it, but whenever people don't like something the tone changes.

"blah blah wHy Do yOU CaRe"

GloveSlap

The movie sounds cool and I like Portman, buts its weird that shes getting rewarded after refusing to do any movies for so long.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
Nerd culture was a mistake.
Nerd culture was fine until it was corrupted by those who seek to destroy everything we love with their own ideals / propaganda.
202.jpg
554463ef-ef64-49ea-a420-649b2a95eae2.jpg

Movies, Video Games, Comic books, ect.
Nothing is safe from their influence now. You could get away with a lot of stuff back then but today is full of loud and angry internet mobs. They are not true nerds since they don't even care about the original stuff to begin with they just want everything to appeal to their degenerate way of life.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member
The "it's his name" people don't have a coherent point. It's in the history of the series, and will probably just got on for one movie. Relax, calm your emotions.
And what is your 'coherent point'? The history recently written - surely you jest! If you're serious - you're an idiot, or just a troll.
I'll go with troll, judging by the majority of your posts that I've noticed.

Don't bother replying... you're on my list. #2, appropriately.

Nymphae

Banned
241.jpg

jfsgdkezua7a54hbjdg8-e1522414268393.png

"Why does nobody buy comics anymore?"

"Red Pill MRA Meninist Casual Racsim"
"Unsolicited opinions on Israel"

Ok the first line is bad enough, it's just woke buzzword hate salad, but the villain then spends some time giving opinions on Israel? I think even if I read this as a kid I would be like, this writer seems preoccupied with something that isn't a fun Thor story.

Got the fuck out once the guy said "they should just add in women as their own characters", and the girl hmmms and hawws over it like that's completely unacceptable. Like think about what you're asking for for a fucking second. We want more representation! Ok cool let's make some new awesome characters for you guys. NO we want your characters immasculated is what we meant.
There must be market research to suggest people want this. Its possible they use newer franchises geared to the nerds who are whining about this so they can keep raking in billions of dollars. They already have black panther as their diverse franchise.

Last edited:

kunonabi

Nerd culture was fine until it was corrupted by those who seek to destroy everything we love with their own ideals / propaganda.
202.jpg
554463ef-ef64-49ea-a420-649b2a95eae2.jpg

Movies, Video Games, Comic books, ect.
Nothing is safe from their influence now. You could get away with a lot of stuff back then but today is full of loud and angry internet mobs. They are not true nerds since they don't even care about the original stuff to begin with they just want everything to appeal to their degenerate way of life.

What's even funnier is Jane Foster is now Valkyrie in the comics. Good luck replacing their gay minority with a white woman in Thor 5.

ExpandKong

Banned
241.jpg

jfsgdkezua7a54hbjdg8-e1522414268393.png

"Why does nobody buy comics anymore?"

Hahah oh shit that lower panel, is that the one that ends with the bad guy’s female cohort knocking him the fuck out and then turning to Jane and saying some “it’s tough out here for us girls huh” bullshit before getting her own ass knocked out?

Dumb.

squallheart

I'm a little confused. So I know they are making a new thor movie is it going to have chris hemsworth or natalie Portman? I'm excited for a new one but if they are doing this giving the name to Jane I'm just not going to bother since it's a cheap way to just sell more product instead of building a new character.

The "history of" five years ago, in a series that sold poorly and was terribly received by comic book fans at large.

It did better than 2012 Thor, granted that that one did poorly, and people have mixed feelings about it. Some love it some hate it. But she's dead now, and so we get a fun movie.

Aurelian

my friends call me "Cunty"
I'm sorry, who are you to judge what people should care about?

No one says "it's a comic book movie" when people are praising it, but whenever people don't like something the tone changes.

"blah blah wHy Do yOU CaRe"

It's called a basic understanding of what movies are for, especially popcorn flicks like the MCU series. They're largely for entertainment, and maybe widening your perspective while they're at it. If an upcoming superhero movie is "ruined" for you primarily because there's a gender swap, particularly when it isn't even new to the fictional universe... well, you're probably not much fun at parties.

And I don't think people are praising, say, Endgame because they feel it's a piece of high-concept art. It's still a comic book movie -- it's just a particularly well-done comic book movie.

sol_bad

I'm a little confused. So I know they are making a new thor movie is it going to have chris hemsworth or natalie Portman? I'm excited for a new one but if they are doing this giving the name to Jane I'm just not going to bother since it's a cheap way to just sell more product instead of building a new character.

Truth of the matter is no one knows how the movie will play out. People in here are just assuming shit to throw shade at Marvel and Disney. This forum really hates Disney.

Fbh

The fourth Thor movie will be directed by the same guy as Thor 3, Chris Hemsworth and Tessa Thompson will be there as Thor and Valkyrie and it has simply been confirmed that Natalie Portman will be back as Jane Foster and will take on the role of Thor in some shape or form.

The plot, how Jane gets the Thor's powers and if this is a one movie thing or meant to be a permanent change moving forward is still unknown.

My guess is Thor is still going to have his doubts about being "worthy" and then he will get into some sort trouble and Jane will somehow get powers to save the day (it's a comic book movie, there's a million random ways they can give her powers). Thor has his axe now and as end game showed someone else can take up the hammer and use electric powers, so there will just be "Odinson" with his axe and "Thor" with her hammer.

As somebody who is a bit into nordic mythology I have less a problem with this gender change than with half of Asgard, Heimdall and Valkyre being POC.

At this point people just have to accept that the Thor and Asgard from the MCU are pretty much their own thing, they are basically just a race of aliens that have been loosely based on Norse Mythology.

There were others who took up the name Captain Marvel. Carol Danvers is only the newest. His son, Monica Rambeau... They held that title before Carol did.

And Thor Odinson gave Jane his name until he was worthy of it again. She ended up dying because of her cancer...

But that's the thing. Carol Danvers gave over her made up superhero name:Captain Marvel..... not "Carol". Steve Rogers hands over the name Captain America, not "Steve", Tony Starks hands over Iron Man, not "Tony".
I know it's a stupid point to bring up and ultimately doesn't matter, and at least in the MCU Thor is basically the only one known for his actual name as opposed to some superhero name so the symbolism of what the name represents is there. I just think it's silly

Last edited:
C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
As somebody who is a bit into nordic mythology I have less a problem with this gender change than with half of Asgard, Heimdall and Valkyre being POC.

Yeah, gonna have to agree. Being scandinavian I kinda loathe how Marvel has managed to convince the world that this is norse mythology.

And that girl in the video saying she knew a bit about mythology and gods being genderless is rich. A couple of gods being shapeshifters and Thor putting on a dress to get his damn hammer back and smash some skulls does not count.

Yeah, gonna have to agree. Being scandinavian I kinda loathe how Marvel has managed to convince the world that this is norse mythology.

And that girl in the video saying she knew a bit about mythology and gods being genderless is rich. A couple of gods being shapeshifters and Thor putting on a dress to get his damn hammer back and smash some skulls does not count.

Being Norwegian I honestly could not give a shit it's a made up comic book version about made up gods and Tessa Thompson can be worshiped as a northern queen for all I care.

JimiNutz

Banned
I've got no problem with them gender swapping so long as it's an improvement on the original and the only way to do that is to make the female really hot and a raging lesbian.

Natalie Portman doesn't improve on the original in my opinion. Portman is long past her prime and an inferior specimen to the mighty handsome Hemsworth.

Give me a thick young blonde Thor, big old titties, tight round ass and an overwhelming desire to eat pussy. You have my full support.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
Being Norwegian I honestly could not give a shit it's a made up comic book version about made up gods and Tessa Thompson can be worshiped as a northern queen for all I care.

Good for you?

Xiaoki

They also turned Thor into a space alien that travels the universe in a spaceship fighting other space aliens. That goes against Norse mythology too, so why arent you angry about that part?

Its only when they have a woman as the lead and non-white people that you take issue? Why is that?

They also turned Thor into a space alien that travels the universe in a spaceship fighting other space aliens. That goes against Norse mythology too, so why arent you angry about that part?

Its only when they have a woman as the lead and non-white people that you take issue? Why is that?
They had him do a modern action in a modern time. They did not change who he is by making him a woman or changing his race.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member

You need to read what people say, instead of what you want them to say just so you can throw out some sleazy drivel.

Top Bottom