• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Andy Signore's "Thor is 1 gender change my mind"

Xiaoki

You need to read what people say, instead of what you want them to say just so you can throw out some sleazy drivel.
Lets see what people said
I have less a problem with this gender change than with half of Asgard, Heimdall and Valkyre being POC.
Yeah, gonna have to agree.
Someone says they have a problem with the gender swap but have a bigger problem with people of color being included and then you agreed to it.

I can read just fine.

Last edited:
C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
Lets see what people said

Someone says they have a problem with the gender swap but have a bigger problem with people of color being included and then you agreed to it.

I can read just fine.

Context. You're actively eliminating it when it's hugely important.

I'm not gonna spend more time on this since you've clearly psychoanalyzed me top to bottom already, and you know better than I do how I think and feel.

A waste of time, in other words.

oagboghi2

It's called a basic understanding of what movies are for, especially popcorn flicks like the MCU series. They're largely for entertainment, and maybe widening your perspective while they're at it. If an upcoming superhero movie is "ruined" for you primarily because there's a gender swap, particularly when it isn't even new to the fictional universe... well, you're probably not much fun at parties.

And I don't think people are praising, say, Endgame because they feel it's a piece of high-concept art. It's still a comic book movie -- it's just a particularly well-done comic book movie.
Movies are made to be entertaining. Not push propaganda bullshit that you happen to agree with.

If someone has an issue with a movie, they have just as much of a right to complain as you do to suck it off. I'm sorry if that offends you

Truth of the matter is no one knows how the movie will play out. People in here are just assuming shit to throw shade at Marvel and Disney. This forum really hates Disney.
Or maybe people here have higher standards than you?

Last edited:
Good for you?

I was just pointing out how moronic it is to get worked up about it considering Marvels Thor has always been silly as his first appearance in a marvel comic book proves.
And if people actually think marvels thor are a part of Northern Mythology then they are just stupid and stupid people will always be stupid.

And I find Tessa Thompson very attractive so she can be Queen of Norway for all I care.

Jim083.jpg

Last edited:
Nerd culture was fine until it was corrupted by those who seek to destroy everything we love with their own ideals / propaganda.
202.jpg
554463ef-ef64-49ea-a420-649b2a95eae2.jpg

Movies, Video Games, Comic books, ect.
Nothing is safe from their influence now. You could get away with a lot of stuff back then but today is full of loud and angry internet mobs. They are not true nerds since they don't even care about the original stuff to begin with they just want everything to appeal to their degenerate way of life.

So having Tessa Thompson be Valkyrie is to appeal to someones degenerate way of life ? are you actually hearing yourself ?

I think she was fine in the role and did not bother me one bit.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
hey so there's this celtic/viking/whatever lady about ten minutes in who refers to her ancestry as "ancient blood"
I'm just wondering, does this mean she thinks her ancestry goes back further than others'?
like lmao you've got french ancestry? what's that, medieval shit? lmao I have ancestors from long before then

sol_bad

Movies are made to be entertaining. Not push propaganda bullshit that you happen to agree with.

If someone has an issue with a movie, they have just as much of a right to complain as you do to suck it off. I'm sorry if that offends you

Or maybe people here have higher standards than you?

Except this movie isn't out yet and people are already throwing shade at it. Even though the majority of people loved Ragnarok and this film has the same creative vision behind it.
If you are going to complain and whinge about a film just because of an actor announcement and a direction the story is heading in, the problem is with you and only you.
If you are going to whinge about the biggest media company on the planet employing more people of different backgrounds than the problem is especially with you. Because guess what, the biggest media company on the planet is loved by every nation on the planet. It makes sense to cater to the world audience if your audience is the world audience.

Loving MCU movies doesn't make anyone's standards ... low. As can been seen by the critics and audience scores of their films.
If you don't like them than that is fine, but it has nothing to do with standards and if you think it does than you're just a movie snob.
If you only watch and enjoy "high cinema" that's fine, I'm happy to enjoy both.

S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member
Except this movie isn't out yet and people are already throwing shade at it. Even though the majority of people loved Ragnarok and this film has the same creative vision behind it.
If you are going to complain and whinge about a film just because of an actor announcement and a direction the story is heading in, the problem is with you and only you.
If you are going to whinge about the biggest media company on the planet employing more people of different backgrounds than the problem is especially with you. Because guess what, the biggest media company on the planet is loved by every nation on the planet. It makes sense to cater to the world audience if your audience is the world audience.

Loving MCU movies doesn't make anyone's standards ... low. As can been seen by the critics and audience scores of their films.
If you don't like them than that is fine, but it has nothing to do with standards and if you think it does than you're just a movie snob.
If you only watch and enjoy "high cinema" that's fine, I'm happy to enjoy both.
You have really bad reading comprehension, at times.
For starters, his first statement is that movies are made to be entertaining. How you get 'movie snob' and 'high cinema' from that is beyond me.

sol_bad

You have really bad reading comprehension, at times.
For starters, his first statement is that movies are made to be entertaining. How you get 'movie snob' and 'high cinema' from that is beyond me.

My second paragraph relates to the last sentence aimed at me.
:)

Doom85

They had him do a modern action in a modern time. They did not change who he is by making him a woman or changing his race.

You're quoting someone who mentions traveling the universe in a spaceship fighting aliens. I must have missed hearing about when humanity started doing that in "modern times"...

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
So having Tessa Thompson be Valkyrie is to appeal to someones degenerate way of life ? are you actually hearing yourself ?

I think she was fine in the role and did not bother me one bit.
Okay so why does she have to be that character? She could have been a brand new character and that would been fine. Face it she was changed because they hated her original form.
valk5.jpg

I highly doubt there was a shortage of blonde actresses willing to play the part.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
I was just pointing out how moronic it is to get worked up about it considering Marvels Thor has always been silly as his first appearance in a marvel comic book proves.
And if people actually think marvels thor are a part of Northern Mythology then they are just stupid and stupid people will always be stupid.

And I find Tessa Thompson very attractive so she can be Queen of Norway for all I care.

Jim083.jpg

I have a strong feeling that those disagreeing with me are getting far more worked up, and spend far more energy on my opinions regarding this than I ever will.

cr0w

Old Member
Nerd culture was fine until it was corrupted by those who seek to destroy everything we love with their own ideals / propaganda.
202.jpg
554463ef-ef64-49ea-a420-649b2a95eae2.jpg

Movies, Video Games, Comic books, ect.
Nothing is safe from their influence now. You could get away with a lot of stuff back then but today is full of loud and angry internet mobs. They are not true nerds since they don't even care about the original stuff to begin with they just want everything to appeal to their degenerate way of life.

To be fair, the Valkyrie Spirit has taken numerous hosts over the decades, with Brunhillde being the most famous one. There are also more than one Valkyrie, they're like a military squadron. Tessa Thompson's is one of many.

Jane is apparently Valkyrie now in the comics, so who knows where the movie version will end up.

You're quoting someone who mentions traveling the universe in a spaceship fighting aliens. I must have missed hearing about when humanity started doing that in "modern times"...
In the Marvel universe, they're traveling the universe in modern times.

MetalAlien

Banned
They also turned Thor into a space alien that travels the universe in a spaceship fighting other space aliens. That goes against Norse mythology too, so why arent you angry about that part?

Its only when they have a woman as the lead and non-white people that you take issue? Why is that?
Maybe because it's only ok to steal from white male mythology? White wash something and people get even more upset.

G-Bus

Banned
My understanding of the MCU was it's their interpretation of the material, it's not considered to be canon.

So who gives a fuck they have POC playing certain heroes, or have Thor hand his mantle over to a female.

They pull from the source material and make it there own. The world isn't just white people. So why not switch things up and try and appeal to a bigger audience. Makes perfect sense in this day and age from a business stand point.

CSmath22

Banned
Thos
My understanding of the MCU was it's their interpretation of the material, it's not considered to be canon.

So who gives a fuck they have POC playing certain heroes, or have Thor hand his mantle over to a female.

They pull from the source material and make it there own. The world isn't just white people. So why not switch things up and try and appeal to a bigger audience. Makes perfect sense in this day and age from a business stand point.

The world isn't just black people. So Black Panther 2 needs to be mostly non-blacks. Because diversity or something.

cryptoadam

Banned
The bigger problem is that these two ladies are bomba magnets. Portman was the worst part of Star Wars (while maybe not the worst but up there) and the first 2 Thors.

Tessa god bless her, but MIB was a bomba. Her and Hemsworth are not draws together.

Ragnorok was a huge hit mainly because of Thor + Hulk, not Tessa.

Hemsworth is putting up bomba's himself (MIB/Ghostbusters) and all 3 together is making me worried that this will be a giant bomb for Marvel.

What fans wanted from Thor 4 is more Hulk or more GOG/Rocket. No one cares about Jane and I doubt much of the audience really cares about Tessa.

G-Bus

Banned
Thos

The world isn't just black people. So Black Panther 2 needs to be mostly non-blacks. Because diversity or something.

Curious what the talant pool is like. I also don't know how casting works so I don't care to speak on why there isn't a more diverse amount of minorities. My first point here could explain the latter.

Your making a movie(s) in North America that is part of a gigantic franchise. Race has become a huge topic on said continent where racism is very apparent. Your now presented with source material that represent an entire civilization of black people. Why wouldn't they just go for it?

Your really going to play the diversity card here? It really feels like this argument is solely in play to be difficult just because you can be.

CSmath22

Banned
Curious what the talant pool is like. I also don't know how casting works so I don't care to speak on why there isn't a more diverse amount of minorities. My first point here could explain the latter.

Your making a movie(s) in North America that is part of a gigantic franchise. Race has become a huge topic on said continent where racism is very apparent. Your now presented with source material that represent an entire civilization of black people. Why wouldn't they just go for it?

Your really going to play the diversity card here? It really feels like this argument is solely in play to be difficult just because you can be.

tl;dr - "You're calling me out on my double standards and I don't like it."

Either straight, white, male characters remain straight, white, and male, or all characters need to be race/gender swapped. Going after only white people shows you for what you are. A racist.

Last edited:

G-Bus

Banned

Either straight, white, male characters remain straight, white, and male, or all characters need to be race/gender swapped. Going after only white people shows you for what you are. A racist.

I was replying to your post, not talking about everything going on.

Personally don't truly care about any of this. Just interesting to discuss sometimes.

It's obvious why they cater to these things. It makes sense from a business standpoint with how political and outspoken large groups of people are. It's not done on the premise of equality, obviously. Should it be? Maybe.

I get why POC are wanting to change things and see no issue with turning some characters that are white, black. I get why LGBTQ want something for themselves. I get when everyone preaches equality and then takes from caucasians instead of developing their own stuff. Is it the fault of caucasians that they produced a lot of this media and of course made it in their own image. Why do minorities get to take from caucasians then preach equality.

Again, don't really care. Just find it all interesting.

sol_bad

The bigger problem is that these two ladies are bomba magnets. Portman was the worst part of Star Wars (while maybe not the worst but up there) and the first 2 Thors.

C'mon now, it's ok to hate Thor 1 and 2 but they certainly weren't bombs. It's funny how Disney have changed the landscape and what "we" think of as a bomb over the last 10 years.
Thor 1 had a budget of 150 million and it made 449 million at the box office. It has a 77% critic and 76% audience rating. Far from bombing.
Thor: The Dark World had a budget of 170 million and it made 644 million at the box office. It has a 67% critic and 76% audience rating. Also far from being a bomb.

Marvel and DC comics were founded in white America 60-80 years ago. Back then it made sense to only market to white men, that was their audience. And when it comes to comics it most likely is still their primary audience today. When it comes to the movies though, they are truly on a global scale. I'm fine with them doing things to appeal to the global audience where it makes sense.

Female Thor I am fine with as I liked it in the comics, it's great. We still have no idea if or how much the film will follow the comic book.

The Eternals, yeah, changing genders and race for those characters make sense because they are not very well known, even within the comic fandom. Obviously if you have read them and love them it may hurt to see what they did to some of your favourite characters but the comic audience fans are going to be very small compared to a potential billion dollar film. Also, The Eternals aren't like the X-Men where their characters went "international" in the 70's "reboot", pretty much all the Eternals are white males, barely any women at all.

Shang-Chi, swapping him for a white man doesn't make any sense, first of all due to his name, secondaly because there is Iron Fist if they want a white martial artist. Yeah, if he builds a legacy through 4-7 films and wants to pass his name over to a white dude, I'm fine with that!

They are the only "issues" I can think of with the announced slate of MCU films.
I actually told my wife the other week if they reboot the X-Men with a black Professor X, I am done with the MCU movies. I tell myself that now, but would probably change my mind as soon as the trailer is released because Marvel Studios hasn't let me down yet.

Whitesnake

Banned
The people who think female Thor has any potential have never in their lives read the female Thor comics.

They’re awful. And if they take even the slightest inspiration from them then they’ve already fucked it up.

BEUB66U.png

s8Hldv9.png

GN2mahI.jpg

GN2mahI.jpg

GN2mahI.jpg

Last edited:

sol_bad

Basing an entire 5+ year run on 2 pages? No thanks. Jason Aaron is a great writer and I love what I have read of his run. I can see why someone would hate it though if he took a bit of a jab at your personal feelings.

Doom85

Basing an entire 5+ year run on 2 pages? No thanks. Jason Aaron is a great writer and I love what I have read of his run. I can see why someone would hate it though if he took a bit of a jab at your personal feelings.

Nah, we should always judge characters by a handful of pages. As we all know, Peter Parker is a completely horribly written character because there were a few issues where his old aunt got shot, and despite everyone begging him not to do it (INCLUDING THE AUNT) he makes a deal with Satan that saves his aunt's life but erases his marriage from existence. Also, the Clone Saga, what a trainwreck. Clearly this character sucks based on these specific comics and has zero potential.

Now some might say, "hey, I think you're ignoring other stories with the character not to mention it's unfair to judge him based on so very little!" Well, I don't give a fuck, if I want to lazily post a few pages and pretend everything else involving the character didn't happen, then I'm going to do it. Lord knows so many people probably haven't even read a single issue involving said character so they'll eat it up without actually reading any of it and forming their own opinion. I mean, fuck that whole "don't judge a book by its cover" bullshit!

Also, as we all know, it's also not like it's possible to make something not well-written in the comics into a much better movie. As we all know, Civil War in the comics was totally a brilliant piece of work that definitely did not have characters making completely nonsensical decisions or acting out-of-character for cheap gimmicks nor was the details of the registration act so poorly defined that none of the writers could agree on what the damn thing actually said. The only reason the Civil War movie was good was because the comic was "totally" well-written and not a shitty crossover that didn't know what the hell it was doing. Because a poorly handled comic then being taken by competent screenwriters CLEARLY could never result in a good movie.....*COUGH*

pel1300

It's obvious why they cater to these things. It makes sense from a business standpoint with how political and outspoken large groups of people are. It's not done on the premise of equality, obviously. Should it be? Maybe.

I get why POC are wanting to change things and see no issue with turning some characters that are white, black. I get why LGBTQ want something for themselves. I get when everyone preaches equality and then takes from caucasians instead of developing their own stuff. Is it the fault of caucasians that they produced a lot of this media and of course made it in their own image. Why do minorities get to take from caucasians then preach equality.

Again, don't really care. Just find it all interesting.

That's the thing - the groups that champion this are actually not that large. You just have some people at comic conventions asking Kevin Feige: "When will you hire a female director?" and at the time Feige wisely answered "We'd love to but I can't say 100% it will happen - we don't target certain demographics we just hire the best person for the job"

or a fan asking Sebastian Stan "When will you have people with disabilities as heroes in your movies?"

These fans represent a pretty small portion of the audience, really.

It's this weird sucking each others dicks between media/journalists and the movie studios: They create the "first" this and that - often it's a lie because somewhere in the 70s, 80s, 90s, 2000s it was already done - then journalists ask the actors "What does it mean to you to play the first _____________?" over...and over....and OVER...gets tiresome.

At the Infinity War press tour - some journalists were still focused on asking Black Panther questions "What does it mean to you to play a strong black woman?" and ignoring the other actors who we hadn't heard from in a long time like Sebastian Stan, Paul Bettany, etc. It was really frustrating as I wanted to hear about the other heroes and the actors playing them - NOT the Black Panther cast who literally answered all these questions 1000000 times TWO months ago.

Nah, we should always judge characters by a handful of pages. As we all know, Peter Parker is a completely horribly written character because there were a few issues where his old aunt got shot, and despite everyone begging him not to do it (INCLUDING THE AUNT) he makes a deal with Satan that saves his aunt's life but erases his marriage from existence. Also, the Clone Saga, what a trainwreck. Clearly this character sucks based on these specific comics and has zero potential.

Now some might say, "hey, I think you're ignoring other stories with the character not to mention it's unfair to judge him based on so very little!" Well, I don't give a fuck, if I want to lazily post a few pages and pretend everything else involving the character didn't happen, then I'm going to do it. Lord knows so many people probably haven't even read a single issue involving said character so they'll eat it up without actually reading any of it and forming their own opinion. I mean, fuck that whole "don't judge a book by its cover" bullshit!

Also, as we all know, it's also not like it's possible to make something not well-written in the comics into a much better movie. As we all know, Civil War in the comics was totally a brilliant piece of work that definitely did not have characters making completely nonsensical decisions or acting out-of-character for cheap gimmicks nor was the details of the registration act so poorly defined that none of the writers could agree on what the damn thing actually said. The only reason the Civil War movie was good was because the comic was "totally" well-written and not a shitty crossover that didn't know what the hell it was doing. Because a poorly handled comic then being taken by competent screenwriters CLEARLY could never result in a good movie.....*COUGH*

But what makes Jane "worthy" of wielding the hammer? Part of what makes Cap wielding it so great is that very few characters can do it. In the comics - Storm, Cap, and a few others have.

Also, when others have wielded the hammer, they didn't take Thor's name. It's not a title or mantle - it's literally his real name.

Honestly I think Marvel knows that many fans are checking out after Endgame and waiting for X-men and FF....and that they need to reintroduce the X-Men and Fantastic Four in a big way in Phase 5, and that it will take a long time to plan it out - and phase 4 is them just going "f*ck it let's just try doing all kinds of pandering and seeing if it works out with the audience.....if audiences hate it then we still have the X-Men and Fantastic Four that many fans who left us will come back for"

But god please do NOT retitle X-Men "X-People" like that Marvel exec implied saying X-men is an outdated title.

Last edited:

CSmath22

Banned
Marvel and DC comics were founded in white America 60-80 years ago. Back then it made sense to only market to white men

But they didn't. There were lots of female and non-white heroes. In fact, most superheroes weren't even human.

The people who think female Thor has any potential have never in their lives read the female Thor comics.

They’re awful. And if they take even the slightest inspiration from them then they’ve already fucked it up.

They even got to push interracial coupling through a white female thor and a black captain america.

Last edited:
They also turned Thor into a space alien that travels the universe in a spaceship fighting other space aliens. That goes against Norse mythology too, so why arent you angry about that part?

Its only when they have a woman as the lead and non-white people that you take issue? Why is that?
Because Thor being a man and of northern descent are his primary attributes along with his hammer?

A movie about the chinese pantheon and its correlated "heaven" played by caucasians and black people would be stupid as fuck.

But, well, it's just us 'dumb blonde northerners', our cultural heritage and religion doesn't count 'because Hitler'.

Okay so why does she have to be that character? She could have been a brand new character and that would been fine. Face it she was changed because they hated her original form.
valk5.jpg

I highly doubt there was a shortage of blonde actresses willing to play the part.

So this is strictly about skin color and your nerdy obsession with a comic book character who in the comic was a human woman, that was given the blessing of Brunhilde and became Valkyrie (I had to look that up)

In the MCU which is based on the and notice I say BASED ON the marvel comics they have changed quite a bit from the comic and have a cast reflects 2019 not 1973, make it more mainstream and available to those who have not read the comics (which I suspect the majority of kids today have not).

In fact you sir are a tiny majority screaming about this Idris Elba is a terrific actor and Heimdal (which is the name of the town I used to live in right outside of Trondheim in Norway) was great and brought a gravitas to the role.

I don't care and neither does the majority of moviegoers who by and large have loved these movies.

Because Thor being a man and of northern descent are his primary attributes along with his hammer?

A movie about the chinese pantheon and its correlated "heaven" played by caucasians and black people would be stupid as fuck.

But, well, it's just us 'dumb blonde northerners', our cultural heritage and religion doesn't count 'because Hitler'.

Marvel kind of blasted that heritage out of the water when they turned him into superhero that fights aliens and as a Norwegian this does not diminish Northern culture or heritage in any way shape or form stop being so dramatic.

This entire thread started with people being mad that Thor is a girl okay that's valid opinion, but don't give me that diminish our heritage nonsense because as a Norwegian I say your are full of crap.

It's not the responsibility of Hollywood or the intention of Marvel creating a history lesson about Northern Mythology it's based on a comic book version which is loosely based and I do mean loosely based on mythological gods.

The movies need to appeal to the broadest possible audience and as long as the actors do a good job and the characters are fun to watch I have no issue with it.

This whole MUH heritage nonsense regarding something that was based on a comic book, that again was based on what can only be described as fantasy tale about gods and a guy with a hammer that primitive beings worshiped.

It's ridiculous grow the fuck up

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
So this is strictly about skin color and your nerdy obsession with a comic book character who in the comic was a human woman, that was given the blessing of Brunhilde and became Valkyrie (I had to look that up)

In the MCU which is based on the and notice I say BASED ON the marvel comics they have changed quite a bit from the comic and have a cast reflects 2019 not 1973, make it more mainstream and available to those who have not read the comics (which I suspect the majority of kids today have not).

In fact you sir are a tiny majority screaming about this Idris Elba is a terrific actor and Heimdal (which is the name of the town I used to live in right outside of Trondheim in Norway) was great and brought a gravitas to the role.

I don't care and neither does the majority of moviegoers who by and large have loved these movies.
I wasn't even talking about race to begin with I was talking about people who love to change things for no good reason. I'd be just as upset if they made Blade white since he wasn't that to begin with. Accuracy above all else.

Last edited by a moderator:

Whitesnake

Banned

Sir, this is a Wendy's.

I mean there are bigger overarching problems like characters being dumbed down or weakened just so femThor can look good by comparison, or the fact that Jane has the personality of soggy bread, or the fact that the original "mystery" of her identity was a conplete shitshow, etc.

Those pages were emblematic of the flaws of femThor. Pandering, lack of personality, and generally poor writing.

Azurro

Banned

I, too, only began to watch Hollywood movies when they began to star Latino people. I also do not watch movies without Latino people, as I am not represented and feel oppressed without them.

/S if it wasn't obvious.

I mean, for whatever it's worth, Asgard in the MCU is not even Asgard.

It'd be like making a movie about the Aztecs and having black and chinese people in the movie as Aztecs along with Ben Affleck starring.

So, if even Asgard isn't Asgard, then sure thing, go crazy. It's just a shame though, the Asgardians look like whatever random people, not a race based on Nordic mythology.

Doom85

Sir, this is a Wendy's.

I mean there are bigger overarching problems like characters being dumbed down or weakened just so femThor can look good by comparison, or the fact that Jane has the personality of soggy bread, or the fact that the original "mystery" of her identity was a conplete shitshow, etc.

Those pages were emblematic of the flaws of femThor. Pandering, lack of personality, and generally poor writing.

-wow, imply I'm just a crazy person when I actually made an argument via sarcasm and you just posted a few pages which also making a generalizing statement that implied anyone who read anything with Lady Thor must hate her because different opinions aren't welcome here apparently, we must all be one hivemind!

-and the Civil War comic sucked ass (geezus Christ, Maria Hill tries to arrest Steve based on a proposed law that hadn't even passed yet, what a fucking shitshow. In the movie, Steve isn't arrested by the law since it hadn't passed yet, but for aiding a wanted criminal, almost like the screenwriters were pointing how stupid the comic was), so by your argument the Russo Bros. should never have adapted Civil War because a bad run can never make a good movie according to you. Just saying.

Doom85

It's just a shame though, the Asgardians look like whatever random people, not a race based on Nordic mythology.

Even though the first Thor movie establishes that they're not technically gods, rather beings from an entire other realm whose only connection to anyone on Earth is they've visited on a rare occasion so why they would have to look like Nordic people is beyond me.

This isn't something like Gods of Egypt where it wasn't that it was just the Egyptian gods (who were actually gods in the movie) who had more white people than one would expect, but the actual main human "Egyptian" lead was a white dude (and then the director whined that critics hated the film because of "white-washing", even though most people who saw it said it was kind of a mess as a movie period).

Whitesnake

Banned
-wow, imply I'm just a crazy person when I actually made an argument via sarcasm and you just posted a few pages which also making a generalizing statement that implied anyone who read anything with Lady Thor must hate her because different opinions aren't welcome here apparently, we must all be one hivemind!

Sir, you already have your order, please just take your food and leave.

and the Civil War comic sucked ass (geezus Christ, Maria Hill tries to arrest Steve based on a proposed law that hadn't even passed yet, what a fucking shitshow. In the movie, Steve isn't arrested by the law since it hadn't passed yet, but for aiding a wanted criminal, almost like the screenwriters were pointing how stupid the comic was), so by your argument the Russo Bros. should never have adapted Civil War because a bad run can never make a good movie according to you. Just saying.

I’m aware that the quality of the comics and movie adaptations don’t necessarily match up. I said “If they take any inspiration”.

I have this concern because the Captain Marvel movie had the same flaws the femThor comics did: pandering, lack of personality, and generally poor writing.
The new Thor movie could be the greatest film yet created by mankind. But I have a feeling it’s just going to be below-average.

Doom85

-seriously, stop being patronizing, it's obnoxious. Hell, you're in a thread that literally has "change my mind" in the title, so SHOCKER some people are going to be throwing down arguments

-well, merely having the character is taking inspiration obviously. And just saying, I consider Civil War to be a shitty comic, but the movie is like the 4th best MCU movie to me so I try to never pre-judge a movie based on the comic's quality

Barnabot

Proving some points.

Shai-Tan

Banned
i wasnt that impressed by ragnarok (i was expecting better jokes) but i think Taika Waititi should be given the benefit of the doubt. what pandering woke lines were in his previous movies?

anyhow i dont know why anyone would expect good story from mcu movies. black panther is the only one i can think of with a semi coherent theme and it's still not to be taken seriously. it's an afrocentric fantasy that most normal people take as an excuse for action scenes

also a bit funny that this mythology talk is unironically following the "cultural appropriation" script. now ill get back to playing warhammer, a grab bag in the fantasy genre built on Tolkien, who lifted elements straight out of norse, finnish, and german mythology

Azurro

Banned
Even though the first Thor movie establishes that they're not technically gods, rather beings from an entire other realm whose only connection to anyone on Earth is they've visited on a rare occasion so why they would have to look like Nordic people is beyond me.

This isn't something like Gods of Egypt where it wasn't that it was just the Egyptian gods (who were actually gods in the movie) who had more white people than one would expect, but the actual main human "Egyptian" lead was a white dude (and then the director whined that critics hated the film because of "white-washing", even though most people who saw it said it was kind of a mess as a movie period).

So, wait, we have gods that are very clearly based on Nordic mythology and a main character that literally has the name of a Nordic god and then you say they have nothing to do with anything Nordic? I mean, it's like they took a bunch of random new york people, gave them some robes and "voila! Now you are the Asgardians!".

Isn't this what you identity politics people get angry about? They are literally erasing the nordic identity with random people that have nothing to do with the mythology. I'm sorry, but the people in the MCU movies are not Asgardians, it doesn't even sell the idea when you see them on screen and the Chinese guy running the grocery store and the black dude shopping there show up.

Last edited:

I think Alex Proyas had a meltdown because he's Egyptiote so the project was close to his heart. It was also salvaged from the cancelled Paradise Lost movie and one hour was cut lol. A fucking mess but I love that movie and I'd rather watch it than any Marvel movie - though I enjoy many of them.

CSmath22

Banned
So, wait, we have gods that are very clearly based on Nordic mythology and a main character that literally has the name of a Nordic god and then you say they have nothing to do with anything Nordic? I mean, it's like they took a bunch of random new york people, gave them some robes and "voila! Now you are the Asgardians!".

Isn't this what you identity politics people get angry about? They are literally erasing the nordic identity with random people that have nothing to do with the mythology. I'm sorry, but the people in the MCU movies are not Asgardians, it doesn't even sell the idea when you see them on screen and the Chinese guy running the grocery store and the black dude shopping there show up.

Only when the ones affected aren't white. It should be obvious by now the left is nothing but colored supremacists.

sol_bad

[/QUOTE]

Captain Marvel's personality was already decided before the movie was even filmed.
She acted in Endgame first and the Earth based Avengers clearly point out her attitude problem and how they don't like it.

Proving some points.

I'm 10 minutes in to this video and he is a fucking man baby
"oooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" while looking at the cover. And he has no fucking idea what he is talking about. Looking through his Youtube video list (the video titles), it's video after video after video of negativity. Like, why does he even bother reading comics? He probably doesn't, he just seeks out books to rage over.

*EDIT*
Jesus, he even says he doesn't like Thor that much!!!

Last edited:

oagboghi2

Captain Marvel's personality was already decided before the movie was even filmed.
She acted in Endgame first and the Earth based Avengers clearly point out her attitude problem and how they don't like it.

I'm 10 minutes in to this video and he is a fucking man baby
"oooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" while looking at the cover. And he has no fucking idea what he is talking about. Looking through his Youtube video list (the video titles), it's video after video after video of negativity. Like, why does he even bother reading comics? He probably doesn't, he just seeks out books to rage over.

*EDIT*
Jesus, he even says he doesn't like Thor that much!!!
😂 God you are so predictable.

Yeah the guy who literally makes his own comics must hate comics. Can't possibly be that he likes some and dislikes others. "Having an opinion, what is that"

Last edited:

sol_bad

😂 God you are so predictable.

Yeah the guy who literally makes his own comics must hate comics. Can't possibly be that he likes some and dislikes others. "Having an opinion, what is that"

Obviously I had no idea the guy wrote a comic book, how would I know. Like I said, his videos are a stream of negativity.
Now I know he wrote Jawbreakers and the art looks great and reviews say it is good. It's on my radar.

But now, he is wasting his time chasing after a court case against Waid? I mean he proved him wrong and made a profit from his own book. He made an in with the comic book industry. He could have moved on to his next story but now he is pissing his profits in to the wind to try and make a massive pay day for himself while making youtube videos at home. I don't get it.

Doom85

Did you even read anything I wrote? Did I miss a part in Thor where they said they created the Nordic people to look like them or some shit, because they didn't, Thor flat out says they're just beings from another world and that's it. Just because they have similar names doesn't mean shit.

Gods or beings from another world aren't part of the human race, so stop acting like it's the same equivalent. If actual Nordic humans were being played by various ethnicities, alright maybe you'd have a point (although what, is there zero interracial marriage, immigration, adoption, etc. in the Nordic countries, kinda weird in 2019 there'd be zero exceptions to how they could look) but we're talking about beings who aren't part of the human race thus there's no need to be as strict in casting. Like the Christian God is said to have made man in his image so technically the best casting would be someone of various mixed ethnicities who looks like they could have made many ethnicities in his image, yet boom Morgan Freeman plays him in Bruce Almighty and despite how much of a stick-up-their-ass some Christians can be about their beliefs I actually don't remember anyone minding or going, "hey, that can't be God because how could he make white, Asian, etc. people in his image if he looks like that?!" Hell, there's been times when God has been played by a woman despite the Bible making God's gender extremely clear yet again not much fuss was made.

I'm pretty sure barely anyone is looking at Tessa Thompson and Idris Elba and thinking, "oh, so that's what Nordic people look like that" and the only exceptions to that rule are dumbass chucklefucks who probably barely know anything about Earth and when FF is brought into the MCU will probably also think Latveria is a real country.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
Idris Elba and thinking, "oh, so that's what Nordic people look like that"
Maybe if he didn't have such a shitty looking beard he wouldn't look so out of place. Looked like a bad cosplay.

Top Bottom