• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Birds Space |OT| Deal With It

Lijik

I don't really like Angry Birds at all. The regular one.

But this seems much more interesting, with much more puzzle components, that give more space (no pun intended) for tactic and lateral thinking.

I haven't played Space yet, but I feel the same way. Angry Birds bored me to tears in a few stages.

This iteration seems legitimately neat however.

Psy-Phi

Still wish Angry Birds would be less luck, and more exact. All they need to do is give you a power gauge (with percentage, down to the 10th's), and a degree/angle marker (also to the 10th's). Would make my time with the games much more enjoyable if I had record-able numbers to work with.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Downloaded the Android version (yay for free games - the ads aren't that annoying, and when they show up you can get rid of them by simply opening and closing the pause menu), and it's definitely more interesting than the original. This feels more like a puzzle game than the original, which mostly consisted of trial and error.

Still wish Angry Birds would be less luck, and more exact. All they need to do is give you a power gauge (with percentage, down to the 10th's), and a degree/angle marker (also to the 10th's). Would make my time with the games much more enjoyable if I had record-able numbers to work with.

We're playing different games. Three-starring every level takes skill. Just flinging shit around may be lucky a few times, but actually studying a level and then using the birds correctly beats luck any time.

ghibli99

So GAF enjoys Angry Birds now? World domination complete.
I think most people get that it's a competent game that's fun in small doses. What GAF seems to have a problem with is its mass popularity and how some writers have used Angry Birds as a reason for why traditional gaming will die. So it's less about the game itself and more about the social/industry implications and debates.

Doomboy

Neo Member
Anyone have this working okay on a 3rd generation iPod Touch (32/64GB)?
Thing is, it says in the App Store description -
PLEASE NOTE: iPod Touch 3rd generation devices (8GB/16GB/32GB) will not run this game. The device consists of 2nd generation hardware which is not currently supported by Angry Birds Space.
I assume this is an error and they mean that this only applies to the 8GB iPod (you can't even get 3rd gen iPod Touches with a capacity of 16GB.)
Can anyone confirm that it runs fine on the 32/64GB models? I'm ready to jump (taking into account the gravitational pull of the Earth) straight into this one.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I did not know the ad-free version was available in Google Play too.

Yeah... but do they really expect anyone but the most passionate Angry Birds fans to pay for the game when the free version is exactly the same game with some ads? Ok, so I'd prefer playing it ad-free, but the ads are not intrusive enough to make me want to pay for something I've already been given for free.

Oreoleo

This is pretty fun so far, granted I've always like the Angry Birds games, but hey. I marathoned the first stage (30 levels) and 3 starred them all this morning when the game came out and when I checked the leaderboards I was #1 overall for like 5 minutes, so that was pretty cool..

reKon

Banned
Other Angry Birds were decent at best. Has to be the most overhyped game I've ever played (thanks to the casual gamers). Angry Birds Space is actually very good though, I'll give Rovio that.

D23

anyone in seattle, go see the space needle! theres a big giant birds nesting on it LOL
525688_10150765206950329_738320328_11993054_1376408427_n.jpg

Purchased both the ipad and iphone versions this morning and have been playing on my ipad.

The compulsion to three-star every damn level is both satisfying and stressful. It's probably why I enjoy these games and this one is no exception.

Zzoram

Seems like it's $2.99 for the 60 levels on iPad, but $0.99 to unlock another 30 levels

it should get updated with new free levels though like all versions

FHIZ

Seems like it's $2.99 for the 60 levels on iPad, but $0.99 to unlock another 30 levels

it should get updated with new free levels though like all versions

I think that's up in the air at this point. I mean, I get that the .99 levels are "special" because their the hard ones, but this may be a sign of things to come.

Biff

After playing through the first planet, it finally hit me:

This company is worth over one. billion. dollars.

What the fuck. How did we get so deep into this bubble? They make 99 cent apps that have sold maybe 200 million units worldwide of a fad across all devices (super aggressive... MAYBE they'll hit that after Space tops out in a couple months). How in any version of reality is this company worth over a billion dollars? Even if they double their userbase (LOL) how are they worth anywhere near their valuation? My mind is actually shutting down asas i teype thsas faisjcasfalw aqdoqpg4fj3ef szdf93e932r2kss

P.S. I understand multiples.

Looks like they iAP'd this thing to hell and back. Pass.

How so? Because of the cheat Eagles or the ability to pay to open levels you were too inept to unlock? Hardly worth bitching and moaning over 99 cents for 30 extra levels when the game itself is so good and they'll be dropping tons of free content in the future. Hell, they're still supporting AB Seasons with great new levels.

Fox Mulder

I think that's up in the air at this point. I mean, I get that the .99 levels are "special" because their the hard ones, but this may be a sign of things to come.

they've continued to support the other 3 games very well with free level updates. I don't see why this one would be different. They could easily do it both ways by still putting out free levels the same time they have harder ones as IAP.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

What the fuck. How did we get so deep into this bubble? They make 99 cent apps that have sold maybe 200 million units worldwide of a fad across all devices (super aggressive... MAYBE they'll hit that after Space tops out in a couple months). How in any version of reality is this company worth over a billion dollars? Even if they double their userbase (LOL) how are they worth anywhere near their valuation? My mind is actually shutting down asas i teype thsas faisjcasfalw aqdoqpg4fj3ef szdf93e932r2kss

Is that 200 million sales, or 200 million downloads (or whatever the number actually is)? Remember, none of the previous titles have cost a cent on Android Market (and this one only does if you want to get rid of the ads, otherwise it's free). Not disagreeing with you in any way (I don't know how to value a company), just adding to your argument.

FHIZ

they've continued to support the other 3 games very well with free level updates. I don't see why this one would be different. They could easily do it both ways by still putting out free levels the same time they have harder ones as IAP.

Oh I know, but the other three didn't have paid levels. All I'm saying, is once you crack the seal, it's possible there's no going back.

The value comes from the property. The Bird characters are being put on everything.

cashman

Banned
Got it like 10 minutes ago already hooked!!!

Always wanted to get in on this, do I need to play Angry birds classic, Angry birds Seasons, Angry birds Rio to understand the story in this one?

I suggest yes, it gives you back story on all the scummy shit those pig fuckers did. Enhances game experience imo

Shepard

This game is really great. Didn't bother to play the others but I've got to the 3rd world, trying to perfect every stage now :p

Biff

The value comes from the property. The Bird characters are being put on everything.

I'm trying to use this argument to unscramble my brain (it is indeed the only argument I've thought of that holds any merit) but the value of the IP is so unproven right now.

I guess in a couple years when Pixar releases an Angry Birds movie that makes more money than Avatar, then I will understand this apparent lunacy.

BiggNife

Crossposting this from the Android Gaming Thread:

Just a heads up to anyone with a Kindle Fire: The Amazon Appstore says that only the $3 HD version works with the Fire, but that's a lie - I downloaded the apk for the Free version through google searching for it and that version works just fine. They want to force Fire users to buy the most expensive version so they get a cut of it, which is bullshit.

And yes, I know it's only three dollars, but it's still ridiculous that they're trying to lock Fire users out of getting the Free version.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
This is the first iOS game that I've actually anticipated before launch. Milestone.

numble

They had 500 million downloads as of Nov 2011.
http://techcrunch.com/2011/11/02/rovios-angry-birds-reaches-half-a-billion-downloads/

Sometimes ads make more money than 99¢ downloads, especially if it is a popular game.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=36195011&postcount=729

In November, one of our paid 99c games was at #6 in the Top Overall US charts. It was making great money. That game has a corresponding free version which has cut down functionality. The free version was making 3 times as much money as the paid version in ad revenues.

What is wrong with "free" exactly?

Scoops

Banned
1. Angry Birds Space
2. Angry Birds
3. Angry Birds Seasons
4. Angry Birds Rio

That's my rank so far. Space is the best as of now. Unlike the other ones it feels fresh and could've been successful as a non-Angry Birds game. The original felt good too. After that Seasons feels like just random holidays pasted onto the original's levels. And Rio's levels are terrible/boring.

Is it just me or is there less content than past Angry Bird releases?

One thing I really like about Rovio is how they support each AB game with free levels.

It is odd to see in-app purchase for ABS though. Anyone get the extra levels? Are they worth it?

jufonuk

not tag worthy
one of the first things I saw goign to work this morming was an advert for Angry Birds Space on the big screen at picadilly circus...

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I was gonna wait till spring break, but I decided to pick this up tonight. SO GOOD.

AAequal

Banned
Gave it a shot yesterday and it's actually fun game. I never liked the first one but this isn't half as bad. Too bad there won't be windows mobile version :(

Turnstyle

To the android users, why not turn off 3G when you're playing a game?

I always do this through habit, because it means I don't get any of the adds popping up.

Anyway, really enjoying this game so far. I was never really into the previous titles, but this one has got me hooked.

Top Bottom