• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Birds Space |OT| Deal With It

nyong

Banned
Best game since mario galaxy.

I wouldn't go that far, but it's a pretty cool game nevertheless. The first Angry Birds felt like a flash title...this one feels like something designed for iOS. Sharper graphics, cool physics, more challenging....definitely worth a purchase.

Danj

So I tweeted my suggestion to @AngryBirds:

7lHtM.png

Didn't spot this posted - Angry Birds Space not being published on Windows Phone :|

If nokia lumia 800 is any indicative of windows phone performance, they can crash and burn for all I care. It's horrible, mean, unintuitive, restrictive and pretty much a disaster. come on, it's like you can have full compatibility with windows/microsoft applications and yet they chose a draconian path for every single operation you have to do. Horrible

/rant

JonCha

Woah, you have to buy an eagle? What? This game looks really fun otherwise, and I though the original was pretty boring and hugely overhyped.

Cheebo

Banned
After playing through the first planet, it finally hit me:

This company is worth over one. billion. dollars.

What the fuck. How did we get so deep into this bubble? They make 99 cent apps that have sold maybe 200 million units worldwide of a fad across all devices (super aggressive... MAYBE they'll hit that after Space tops out in a couple months). How in any version of reality is this company worth over a billion dollars? Even if they double their userbase (LOL) how are they worth anywhere near their valuation? My mind is actually shutting down asas i teype thsas faisjcasfalw aqdoqpg4fj3ef szdf93e932r2kss

P.S. I understand multiples.

A fad? A bubble? Angry Birds is as much of a fad as Mario. Angry Birds is one of the most popular and most significant video game franchises in existence today. And it is here to stay.

It is easily THE handheld game franchise of this era, it is to today what Tetris was to handheld gaming 20+ years ago.

SmokyDave

A fad? A bubble? The Angry Birds is as much of a fad as Mario. Angry Birds is one of the most popular and most significant video game franchises in existence today. And it is here to stay.

It is easily THE handheld game franchise of this era, it is to today what Tetris was to handheld gaming 20+ years ago.

For fucks sake don't tell him that the company is actually worth nine billion dollars. That could lead to an aneurysm.

GCX

A fad? The Angry Birds is as much of a fad as Mario. Angry Birds is one of the most popular and most significant video game franchises in existence today.
I'd say Rovio has been doing pretty good job at managing the Angry Birds brand so far.

The animated series they're doing for Nickelodeon will probably be the next big thing.

Haunted

A fad? A bubble? Angry Birds is as much of a fad as Mario. Angry Birds is one of the most popular and most significant video game franchises in existence today. And it is here to stay.

Well, it's just over two years old at this point. I think it needs to stick around for a couple years longer before people accept this as a permanent fixture in pop culture.

WhyMe6

How is the difficulty curve on this game? I felt it was done perfectly in Angry Birds, whereas Angry Birds Season played like they had slapped together a random series of levels with no regard for difficulty (e.g. 1st level - easy, 2nd level - incredibly difficult, 3rd level - easy, etc.).

How's this one?

hwalker84

If nokia lumia 800 is any indicative of windows phone performance, they can crash and burn for all I care. It's horrible, mean, unintuitive, restrictive and pretty much a disaster. come on, it's like you can have full compatibility with windows/microsoft applications and yet they chose a draconian path for every single operation you have to do. Horrible

/rant

I respect your opinion and at the same time respectfully disagree with everything you said. iPhone to WP7 convert here.

How is the difficulty curve on this game? I felt it was done perfectly in Angry Birds, whereas Angry Birds Season played like they had slapped together a random series of levels with no regard for difficulty (e.g. 1st level - easy, 2nd level - incredibly difficult, 3rd level - easy, etc.).

How's this one?

The first tier of planets is pretty easy except maybe 1 or 2, about half way through the 2nd tier and it's starting to get much harder to get 3 stars on a level. It seems to be following a natural progression.

I haven't played an Angry Birds game in a bit. What are the black eagle feathers for? Both planets show that I have 0/30 for those feathers.

Maedhros

The first world is pretty fucking easy, I've completed it right now with all stars on my first try only.

Pretty sweet game to play when I don't have nothing to do.

It would be hilarious to see this game get an XBLA or PSN release, so the "phone game" haters could eat some delicious crow.

I think this franchise is pretty much brilliant, and this game more so than all the previous iterations. This feels like the first true sequel to the original, and it's just so polished and well thought out.

I love the gravity mechanics, and the execution just seems so intelligently done. Can't wait to see how difficult things get later on.

Fox Mulder

I'd say Rovio has been doing pretty good job at managing the Angry Birds brand so far.

The animated series they're doing for Nickelodeon will probably be the next big thing.
They're doing an animated series? The YouTube trailer cartoons are always look good.

dkeane

Game looks amazing on the new iPad. Like some of the additions.

As someone said below what the hell are the black feathers?

Cheebo

Banned
There are millions of Angry Birds toys as is, wasn't the #1 most wanted toy last christmas some angry birds thing? I can't imagine how big it will blow up if the animated series takes off.

I still am suprised how huge it is with kids. I always thought it appealed to the more casual gaming adult set who play Words With Friends. I can't recall any other puzzle game being big with kids like this.

Maedhros

There are millions of Angry Birds toys as is, wasn't the #1 most wanted toy last christmas some angry birds thing? I can't imagine how big it will blow up if the animated series takes off.

I still am suprised how huge it is with kids. I always thought it appealed to the more casual gaming adult set who play Words With Friends. I can't recall any other puzzle game being big with kids like this.

Is this game a puzzle game?

LCfiner

I wasn't a big fan of Angry Birds - it never clicked for me.

but I tried this new one and it seems more interesting. Only played the first 11 levels but I like the multiple body gravity mechanic.

the complex orbits you can make with the birds and multiple planets is cool.

I still don't like the noises the pigs and birds make, though. eh.

Zzoram

Is this game a puzzle game?

How isn't it a puzzle game? You have to figure out how to destroy a particular contraption and knock down all the pigs in it with only 3 birds. You do this with a bit of trial and error and some understanding of the physics in the game.

Boom Blox was a puzzle game wasn't it?

AHA-Lambda

So what makes this different from Rio and Seasons exactly? This one certainly looks more intriguing than the other 2 "sequels"

Maedhros

How isn't it a puzzle game? You have to figure out how to destroy a particular contraption and knock down all the pigs in it with only 3 birds. You do this with a bit of trial and error and some understanding of the physics in the game.

Boom Blox was a puzzle game wasn't it?

Every puzzle that involves trial and error sucks. I don't see angry birds as a puzzle game.

LCfiner

Every puzzle that involves trial and error sucks. I don't see angry birds as a puzzle game.

that's a ridiculous requirement.

shit, I loved portal and portal 2 puzzles. a lot of those required trial and error and experimentation with the tools provided to the player.

Most people can't work out the outcomes of multiple chain reactions in their heads before committing to an action.

Maedhros

What genre do you think it is then?

Personally, I'd say it was a 'Dynamic Action Puzzler'.

I dunno, I just don't think it's a pure puzzle game. It's more than that.

Portal 1 and 2 were very logical, I never seen a puzzle there that involved trial and error, the puzzles (specially in 1) could be solved in many ways, but the logical thinking to solve them was almost the same.

I can't even get 3 stars here.
iOhll0EFsDLF7.jpg

I refuse to advance until I do so.

Edit: Minus app copies the entire folder Link..Easy sharing my ass.

Cheebo

Banned
I dunno, I just don't think it's a pure puzzle game. It's more than that.

Portal 1 and 2 were very logical, I never seen a puzzle there that involved trial and error, the puzzles (specially in 1) could be solved in many ways, but the logical thinking to solve them was almost the same.

Trial and error is central to puzzles though...

Top Bottom