• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Birds Trilogy over 1 million shipped; Wii and Wii U SKUs coming

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/boxe...retail-wii-and-wii-u-release-planned/0110989?

The Activision-published Angry Birds Trilogy has passed 1m unit sales at retail.

There are two ways to interpret that stat. On the one hand, many scoffed at the idea of selling games that can be downloaded for 69p on smartphone at a far higher RRP on a disc.

On that basis 1m sales seems pretty impressive.

The other side of the coin, of course, is that the digital version of the game has sold well in excess of HALF A BILLION copies. On that basis the comparison is less kind.

Angry Birds Trilogy is available on Xbox 360 and PS3, and supports both Kinect and PlayStation Move. A 3DS version is also available.

Activision has also confirmed a release for both Wii and Wii U some time in 2103.

“Angry Birds' proven formula for fun and addicting gameplay translated perfectly to the big screen and the consumer response has been overwhelming,” Activision’s VP of sales and marketing Jennifer Mirabelli stated.

They really should make a 3D adventure platformer.
This just shows there is room for the franchise to expand from the mobile/tablet market.

Jb

iLbkKgEgmQt2u.gif

SmokyDave

I knew this'd sell well, it's a good game.

“Angry Birds' proven formula for fun and addicting gameplay translated perfectly to the big screen and the consumer response has been overwhelming,” Activision’s VP of sales and marketing Jennifer Mirabelli stated.
No Jennifer! Bad Jennifer!

This is the killer app the Wii U deserves, not needs.

That, or the other way round, depending on how much you like Nintendo.

I played the free version AB a long time ago, and honestly, I really don't see the fun.

Someone should do a "mature" version with blood and gritty graphics for the lulz. Actually a mock-up (like Gears of War Super Mario) would suffice, no need to make the actual game.

It has been on sale for $19.99 at a couple of places, and I was lucky enough to catch it during one of those times for the 360. It is a fun timesink for me, but nothing I dedicate a defined period of time for. When I want to kill 30 minutes or so and not think about it too much, it is something I know I can reach for.

DR2K

Banned
It has been on sale for $19.99 at a couple of places, and I was lucky enough to catch it during one of those times for the 360. It is a fun timesink for me, but nothing I dedicate a defined period of time for. When I want to kill 30 minutes or so and not think about it too much, it is something I know I can reach for.

You spent $20 on a collection of free phone games? More power to Movio games.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Pretty sure that Angry Birds phone "sales" number is for downloads, not sales.

For anyone interacting buying these.for Wii or Wii U even when their budget price buy the superior Boom Blox games. Similar idea of launching stuff into structures to knock them down but with 100 times more content and much more depth. Thank me later.

Eusis

People really do overestimate how many people own a smartphone or a tablet or even want one.
They also tend to forget how often these mega popular games get ported around, even years after the fact. Just look at the likes of Doom, Myst, Bejeweled, etc.

(And yeah, I know this is an ancient post, but it's bumped up due to that announcement trailer so it's worth touching on.)

KemoSabe

i shed a tear for every retail game sold.
i just cant get todays gaming "culture" anymore...

who would want to play it on a big screen for a longer time?
you should play 1 or 2 levels while you wait for the bus or whatever

Sendou

i shed a tear for every retail game sold.
i just cant get todays gaming "culture" anymore...

who would want to play it on a big screen for a longer time?
you should play 1 or 2 levels while you wait for the bus or whatever

Why do you care?

Serious question.

Who buys angry birds for their consoles?
Handhelds I can understand, but consoles?

There are, what, 80 million Wii's out there? Makes sense, no? Also, it plays really well with the Move controller. In fact, I plays really well with a standard controller too.

Why do you care?

Some people's ignorance is astounding. Angry Birds is no different to Tetris in that regard, yet because it came out on a mobile phone originally it's the most hated game ever. Ridiculous. Did people say the same when Lemmings got ported to every system ever? No, they didnt. Doing this with Angry Birds just means more people can play one of the most popular game franchises ever. Ever.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Pretty sure that Angry Birds phone "sales" number is for downloads, not sales.

I suspect you are correct.

I don't think Rovio has actually ever disclosed how many paid copies they have sold. They have only ever stated download numbers.

Though interesting to note, they make more money from merchandising than software.

EDarkness

Not sure why this game isn't a digital release. I guess it's Activision. Have they even released a game on the eShop yet?

Sendou

I don't think it matters that much whether the downloads are paid or free. When you play a free version of the game there's ads. That's money for Rovio too.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
I don't think it matters that much whether the downloads are paid or free. When you play a free version of the game there's ads. That's money for Rovio too.

The revenue per download of an ad supported game is generally much lower than a paid download though. So just quoting download numbers obfuscates the revenue.

In any case, Rovio is making a ton of money not matter how you slice it.

Top Bottom