• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Joe being accused of sexual harassment

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
I am just saying, I know a female friend of mine, who told me one of her friends got raped. About a week later she told me that there was no rape and her friend just claimed it was because she cheated on her friend and didn't want to say the truth about it so she made up the story.

Redlight

Nobody sane is denying that the vast majority of rape claims are true and a minority of them are false.

But that's besides the point: People aren't statistics, and condemning someone by citing a study is pure fascism, nothing else.
Terms like 'vast majority' are not useful. It's simply a fact that we don't know what percentage are false, so the rarity or otherwise of false claims can''t be used as a justification for automatic belief or denial. Every case on its merits, like any other accusation.

ShadowNate

Meanwhile, believe women or stfu has so many obvious flaws.
"Believe women". Have any of those shitheads actually sat through a gossip-y conversation among women? Or among any group of people for that matter? There are lies, false claims, exaggeration, grave digging. back stabbing. It's all fun and/or in a "confidential" basis until someone makes that public on a social media.

Point is, even women won't believe other women outright, as they wouldn't trust a stranger man's claims either, but more so because they have more experience on that by their daily interactions. Those who do have any friends or social life that is.

"Or stfu". No, bitch, you brought this thing on my home PC screen, on my twitter feed via re-tweets, on the gaming news site I visit, on the forum where I post. Fuck you, for putting me in the position to take a side and fuck off for not liking my middle ground and my skepticism. Just fuck off in general.

cormack12

Gold Member
I am just saying, I know a female friend of mine, who told me one of her friends got raped. About a week later she told me that there was no rape and her friend just claimed it was because she cheated on her friend and didn't want to say the truth about it so she made up the story.

tumblr_luh0kpT4Nr1qed7pgo1_400.gifv

RedVIper

Banned
Nobody sane is denying that the vast majority of rape claims are true and a minority of them are false.

But that's besides the point: People aren't statistics, and condemning someone by citing a study is pure fascism, nothing else.

The ones that go to the police? Absolutely.

Claims on twitter? I'd say the rate of false claims is much higher there.

Last edited:

nush

They very rarely say rape, they like to use the ambiguous "Sexual assault" which can mean anything from making them feel uncomfortable, having their ass grabbed and upwards.

Majukun

Well, one of the mods over at REEsetera says that "studies" show that the vast majority of the accusations turn out to be true.

I think we can trust their vague claim about these "studies" as concrete proof that the claim is correct.

edit- that thread is back now.
not saying it's the case, but i remember of that one time on era someone claimed there were tons of studies that backed its stance.

asked for some data and I readily received a bunch of links to studies with promising titles.

then i actually took some of my free time to actually read the studies and their conclusions, and guess what, they were either not actually saying what the guy thought they were saying, or the studies themselves admitted that their results were inconclusive due to a very small amount of data considered.

this just to say that the internet is basically the worst place where to discuss serious matter, because very little people that advocate pro or against something actually know what they are talking about.

the internet gave to many people the impression that they have the right to speak on any argument and matter, while in reality being able to speak about something is not a divine right, it's something you acquire usually through years of study on the subject matter.

and while between friends or in a forum there's no real life repercussion if you got something wrong because you don't know what you are talking about, when you start being judge and jury of someone's carreer and livelihood, or just to try forcing change on society based on your own possibly limited view on the issue, then it's another story.

Humdinger

I've seen studies suggesting that about 25% of rape or sexual assault allegations turn out to be unfounded. Now, "unfounded" doesn't necessarily mean "outright fabrication." It may mean outright fabrication in some cases, but in other cases, it could just mean the investigation turned up no evidence to substantiate the allegation.

Sorry, I can't provide a link to that data. I could perhaps dig it out, but I'm too lazy.

It would be fair to characterize the 75% as "overwhelming majority," although it's also a distortion to dismiss 25% as insignificant percentage. That's one in four allegations that are unfounded.

And those are just stats on official rape claims, i.e., those that are taken to the police -- that's very different than accusations over twitter. I would assume that the percentage of false accusations on social media is much higher, just because it's so much easier, with so much less burden and risk for the accuser, and so little evidence required.

not saying it's the case, but i remember of that one time on era someone claimed there were tons of studies that backed its stance.

asked for some data and I readily received a bunch of links to studies with promising titles.

then i actually took some of my free time to actually read the studies and their conclusions, and guess what, they were either not actually saying what the guy thought they were saying, or the studies themselves admitted that their results were inconclusive due to a very small amount of data considered.

this just to say that the internet is basically the worst place where to discuss serious matter, because very little people that advocate pro or against something actually know what they are talking about.

Very true. This is an accurate observation about most "studies." Half the time, if you look not just at the headline, but the actual study and its methodology -- which people hardly ever do -- you'll find that it doesn't support the statements being made about it. Sometimes, it doesn't even support what the authors of the study say about it. But it's very often true about people posting research on the internet.

Last edited:

niilokin

So because there's no case or basis to call a man rapist or assaulter they use the word predator even if it is just trying to hook up with women. Smears your image nicely and incites the twitter mob well.

Last edited:

sol740

1. Men are pigs, anyone with a daughter knows this.

2. Anyone without a daughter, but with a functioning brain also knows this.

3. Women can also be pigs, even if we default to 1 and 2 ... 3 may apply.

4. We must weigh the variables of specific instances within context and reason, and in consideration to 1 and 2, take all accusations seriously.

5. Any study that admits that evidence is impossible to have (proving a negative), but then throws out estimated statistical percentages like "90% of all sexual assaults go unreported", is 118% trash. Not that some, or even many, sexual assaults don't go unreported, but adding a percentage to something you "by definition" don't have, is patently ridiculous. The alarmingly, relaxed usage of the words "sexual assault" to include benign social circumstances, is a disservice to victims of the "forcible sexual encounter" nature.

6. Being uncomfortable is not "being assaulted". It sucks though, and these complaints should be voiced, and accessed. Empathy should be on tap, and folks with a penchant for causing this discomfort should be held accountable.

7. Words are never violence. Ever. Not even the most dispicable hate speech you can imagine. It can certainly incite violence, but it is NOT violence in and of itself, and these definitions are important. That said, gaslighting and coercion can be the disgusting tools of the sociopath, and may be used for nefarious ends.

8. Joe may very well be guilty of being awkwardly creepy here, or even uncomfortably forward, or at least coming off in this way. Reading his and hers accounts I can see this, in regard to 1 and 2. However, this woman is not "a victim", he did not victimize her, those words have meanings, and that they are so loosely bandied about is just gross.

9. Numbered lists should never, ever be taken seriously, and we have the internet at large to thank for that. Listical clickbait sites, or even BuzzFeed/Cracked, have so thoroughly abused the format, that I cannot even stand having my grocery shopping needs in list format. I just randomly grab things out of other people's carts as they pass by, till I am asked to leave. This has been counted as "assault", on more than one occasion.

Last edited:

Helios

9. Numbered lists should never, ever be taken seriously, and we have the internet at large to thank for that. Listical clickbait sites, or even BuzzFeed/Cracked, have so thoroughly abused the format, that I cannot even stand having my grocery shopping needs in list format. I just randomly grab things out of other people's carts as they pass by, till I am asked to leave. This has been counted as "assault", on more than one occasion.
tenor.png

MiguelItUp

I prefer option 3:

DON'T USE SOCIAL MEDIA FOR THIS BUT THE JUSTICE SYSTEM.
Exactly. Going to social media will just equate to harassment from followers on both sides. Why do that? For attention? I'm unsure. It's become such a trend in society though, and I don't think a lot of the people think about the negative attention that can be received as a result. I mean, everything can really blow up in your face. Why go that route?

Ogbert

6. Being uncomfortable is not "being assaulted". It sucks though, and these complaints should be voiced, and accessed. Empathy should be on tap, and folks with a penchant for causing this discomfort should be held accountable.

They should categorically not be 'voiced' on Twitter, with a view to slandering and destroying an individual's career.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Exactly. Going to social media will just equate to harassment from followers on both sides. Why do that? For attention? I'm unsure. It's become such a trend in society though, and I don't think a lot of the people think about the negative attention that can be received as a result. I mean, everything can really blow up in your face. Why go that route?

Because some people are stupid. Imagine going to the town square and yelling your lungs out about someone that cheated on his wife with you. It's ridiculous.

People go to social media to air their grievances for several reasons. Social media can be used to punish your enemies without ever having to prove a thing. Innocent until proven guilty is a legal thing. The fact is that most people make a snap judgement based on their own personal biases without ever actually reading into the allegations and seeing if there's any proof of the allegation. In a society where we are being told that we must immediately believe the allegations and false accusations often go unpunished what is there to lose?

GymWolf

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
People go to social media to air their grievances for several reasons. Social media can be used to punish your enemies without ever having to prove a thing. Innocent until proven guilty is a legal thing. The fact is that most people make a snap judgement based on their own personal biases without ever actually reading into the allegations and seeing if there's any proof of the allegation. In a society where we are being told that we must immediately believe the allegations and false accusations often go unpunished what is there to lose?

Unless you're Joe Biden. Then dismiss and discredit the accuser.

Last edited:

JLB

Banned

When theres people claiming that white people is genetically racist, yeah, no.
Innocent until proven guilty is one of the pillars of western civilization.
When you read "all lives matter", you can interpret that as no one is special, no special rights.. Check the representation of justice: A woman with covered eyes.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Meanwhile, believe women or stfu has so many obvious flaws.
"Believe women". Have any of those shitheads actually sat through a gossip-y conversation among women?

I keep seeing "Believe Women" posted in the ERA thread on this. It makes me want to speak up but I won't because in that thread any stance other than "Joe is SHIT" or "if you don't support her then you are bad too" will get you banned faster than the Flash. That thread is a graveyard for anyone not following the mob mentality of she is right and Joe is a bastard.

Here's the thing though: many women make this shit up. It might not be popular to say that but it's true. Sure a lot of women are telling the truth too but you can't default to the stance of ALL WOMEN are telling the truth, that's terribly disingenuous. I know two guys who had women try to frame them for rape, it put them through HELL and the system and public instantly wants to treat the guy as guilty. In both cases my friends got exonerated and the women got charged, but it took so damn long to reach that point and up until then it was just terrible going for my buds.

What if it had gone the other way? The initial stance of "believe women" unbalances due process. You can't simply go with the stance "believe women". It's not fair, that's not how justice works. Innocent until proven guilty can't be a one way street that only applies to one gender, it has to be universally applied or the system is tainted from the get go.

Gp1

In many countries, the presumption of innocence is a legal right of the accused in a criminal trial, and it is an international human right under the UN's Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 11. Under the presumption of innocence, the legal burden of proof is thus on the prosecution, which must present compelling evidence to the trier of fact (a judge or a jury). The prosecution must in most cases prove that the accused is guilty beyond reasonable doubt. If reasonable doubt remains, the accused must be acquitted.
Under many civil law systems, including the English common law, in criminal proceedings the accused is presumed innocent unless the prosecution presents a high level of evidence as described above.

But that don't fit in the 140 characters trial

ps :

9. Numbered lists should never, ever be taken seriously, and we have the internet at large to thank for that.

Last edited:
The repeated "Twitter is not the courtroom" is shockingly frustrating.

Yes, Twitter is not the court - therefore, nobody's life should be ruined over anything posted on there! It shouldn't hold any real weight the has real consequences.

The people dismissing "innocent until proven guilty" are *encouraging" mob justice, a system where the more popular party wins, and in case sexual assault accusations, it's usually the accused who loses, because companies don't care about details, context or what follows later on: They cancel the accussed to avoid the POTENTIAL trouble of dealing with him professionally.

I've seen the crazies claim that Joe will not see any consequences, but just because he might not be 100% canceled when all is said and done, it doesn't mean he hasn't suffered business opportunities or hurt his public image.

"Innocent until proven guilty" isn't just for the courtroom - it's for every situation that is SERIOUS and has REAL CONSEQUENCES. And frankly, it should be common decency to not throw anybody under the bus because of what someone else said. That's just toxic bs. If you support #believewomen, you're a fascist.

Shantae

Banned
"Innocent until proven guilty" isn't just for the courtroom - it's for every situation that is SERIOUS and has REAL CONSEQUENCES. And frankly, it should be common decency to not throw anybody under the bus because of what someone else said. That's just toxic bs. If you support #believewomen, you're a fascist.
What's stupid is that those same people probably think they're anti-fascist.

carlosrox

Banned
I say this as someone who doesn't give a shit about AngryJoe (or basically any Tuber/streamer)

So this was all a bunch of bullshit over him acting maybe a bit pervy and wanting to hook up?

I'll say his methods (if true) seem a tad slimey and definitely not how I'd go about making a move but definitely nothing illegal or even immoral.

Top Bottom