• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Joe gets called out by IGNs review editor for misquoting their Titanfall review

BY2K

Membero Americo
It seems to me this joe character made a mistake and misrepresented ign and is not willing to commit that.
This doesn't play well for someone how is criticizing other reviewers for inaccuracy on a regular basis.

He misquoted them by 0.1 point! What's the difference between 8.9 and 9.0, seriously!?

plainr_

Could someone for the love of all that is good in this world explain to me the difference between an 8.9 and a 9.0?

CFKR8no.png

lol. The review scale is so fucked.

The Cowboy

This is over reacting but with regards to the issue, i can't believe this but I'm actually going to side with IGN on this (just fractionally), in the review he put up a pic of a preview quote and then linked it with the review score in which the review didn't say the same thing.

It was by no means a malicious misquote as Dan stated, but it was still kind of a misquote in that Joe used a preview quote in reference to the IGN review score.

I'm really not a fan of Angry Joe, and I think Dan does make a point. The point one is what, in his eyes, stops the game from being amazing. He's saying that it is very close, but a little short of that.
IGN did hype the game up a little too much though.

You really believe that he analyzed the game on such a level that he thought there was a .1 difference in score from amazing or just great? Come on now.

Quoting preview commentary that does not represent the game's final judgement is misrepresentative.

The preview commentary made some pretty bold and final claims about the quality of the game. It wasn't that it "might be amazing" it stated that the game was going to change lives and be the best thing ever.

Titanfall is the next great evolution of the twitch-action first-person shooter.

As such, I don't have a problem with linking it to reviews, especially in the context of the media circus around the game.

Angry Joe's constant namecalling and colourful insults during the whole Twitter exchange paints a terrible picture of him. He's the one that needs to grow up.

While that is fair, the guy is posting as "Angry" Joe.

Einbroch

Banned
Both.
EnojadoJose should of never used a quote that was never in the review, but a part of me feels like Dan shouldn't have complained about the .1 difference, but then a part of me does.

I'm on Dan's side though. Jose's action and attitude is childish, but then again so is his fanbase judging by his videos.
Yeah man, calling out a competing review in public completely unprovoked is a really mature thing to do.

Ricky 7

That Angry Joe guy has no manners, at least reply back in a professional manner. He tells him to grow up then resorts to name calling.

Dmonzy

It doesn't matter how the IGN editor interprets the score, almost everyone out there is going to look at that 8.9 and just consider it a 9. And he knew it too. When he made the review he was obviously leading the audience towards buying the game by giving it a better "implied" score than what he actually gave.

IGN's review scores are more indicative of the amount of advertising put into a game, rather than the quality of the game. Hell, that's true for game reviews in general these days (see also Elder Scrolls Online's reviews).

Harlock

The main thing to take from that that is how much 8.9 is different from 9 in the IGN perception. And I believe they are being sincere. Go to 8.9 instead of of 9 must be a hell of internal fight.

The main thing to take from that that is how much 8.9 is different from 9 in the IGN perception. And I believe they are being sincere. Go to 8.9 instead of of 9 must be a hell of internal fight.

Sounds more like he wanted the game to be a 9 but didn't actually think it was or vice versa.

Both are wrong and stupid to argue over so little and not read each other ? Why is this a thread ? Kotaku already writting a story out of this...

hohoXD123

Ok, so Joe should have ideally shown the review article rather than the preview one, but arguing over a 0.1 difference? Seriously?

b0bbyJ03

i think they are both right in their own ways... Angry Joe did misrepresent the review, but only in a very literal sense, because his point was actually valid. I think Stapleton was only right on a technical level but his site did hype the shit out of this game. Still, i have no problem with the score. there are people who absolutely love this game and do think its a 9 or higher, problem is that its not IGNs job to advertise games, its their job to criticize them.

Lucifon

Too many people here seem to be focusing on the .1 score difference, which isn't the focus of the debate they had, although Joe seems to focus on that. And that .1 does make a difference, if a game isn't quite worthy of a 9 but is higher than an 8 it needs to be represented somehow. Whether that's the solution on how to represent it or not is another debate.

geordiemp

I agree with Joe, IGN did a gushing preview like it was written by a 13 year old fanboy...

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/08/22/i-played-titanfall-and

It was almost too much for my eyeballs to process.

In fact, it’s borderline sensory overload

Titanfall confidently walks the line between holding your attention and making your head explode.

Titanfall confidently walks the line between holding your attention and making your head explode.

These IGN preview quotes say it all really, mega hype beyond hype...OK was not in the review, but IGN amongst others over hyped the game.

Yes I have the game for 360, its good, but not enough variation in load outs and gameplay to be called great. Would benefit from a HORDE mode...greatly...

Zalman

I actually really like IGN, but I don't see how Joe did anything wrong here. I don't think he misquoted anyone.

Hollow

I don't care for Joe but this argument is ridiculously overblown by Dan.
Making such a fuss over a 0.1 is absurd and not owning up to their hype machine in the preview which is what Joe was criticizing.

Both of them are pretty immature but Dan is acting like a baby.

Camwi

Now, my question to GAF is: is IGNs Review Editor making too big of a deal out of this? s he overreacting? Or did Angry Joe really make a mistake when using these examples? There's more tweets to be found at their twitter pages, but it really is a lot.

He sort of has a point when it comes to showing the preview quote and then the review score, but complaining that he rounded the score up from 8.9/10 to 9/10 is fucking asinine.

IGN, man..

You really believe that he analyzed the game on such a level that he thought there was a .1 difference in score from amazing or just great? Come on now.

I think that he decided that it was not worthy of a 9, but better than an 8.5.
A .1 makes a difference, a very small one, but a difference nonetheless.

Kusagari

The decimal point thing is a joke. Everyone will see an 8.9 as a 9, no matter what IGN wants.

Quoting the preview when linking to the review is a grey area for me since it is the same guy who did both. Joe should have just used it as an opportunity to tear apart ridiculous previews instead of making it seem like it was from the review.

styl3s

IGN earned this reputation.

Arguing over 0.1 is insane.
Exactly.

8.9 or 9.0. There literally is not a fucking difference. What could possibly be in this game that could shave .1 off it. Did a enemy AI have shitty look shoes on so they knock it to a 8.9?

I think that he decided that it was not worthy of a 9, but better than an 8.5.
A .1 makes a difference, a very small one, but a difference nonetheless.
I'm sorry but a 8.9 is a 9 to everyone else in the world.

.1 makes absolutely no difference to anyone and it's why every other sensible reviewer on the planet doesn't use this ridiculous fucking scale.

The_Monk

That 8.9 Score meaning is great and 9 is amazing it's just silly in my opinion fellow GAFfers. At this point we should all give reviews using the scale of "Clueless Gamer" with Conan O'Brian... can we?

On the other hand, if you want to discuss this make it private, why grown people go to twitter, offending each other is beyond me. There's a lot of this in the gaming industry and to be honest I feel ashamed for their lack of professionalism and by picking small things. Reviews for me lost a lot of credibility since I no longer visit a single website any more. I make my decisions on gameplay videos, consumers who bought the games and some good old trusty GAFfers. That's pretty much it.

How can it be so hard to respect others and their jobs is beyond me. If you don't like it, move along but no, let's fight in a social media and argue about a 0.1 difference. Some people just can't let it go and find their own Zen these days...

IGNs coverage of Titanfall was way too much.
The actual review was only a small part of the overhyping.

IGN just became a tool for promotion, it had nothing to do with neutral coverage anymore.

That they're now arguing about 0.1 in their review score is really ridiculous.

kadotsu

Banned
Man Angry Joe should thank the IGN guy. He'll be able to make a low production effort response video that won't get content IDed and will probably get a significant amount of views.

frizby

I'm with Joe.

IGN and most other games media outlets should be embarrassed for their Titanfall hyperbole and reviews, and kudos to Joe for calling them out on it.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Angry Joe has to learn to handle situations like this better. Each time someone accuses him of something he overreacts like a kid. IGN guy is obviously a moron that has nothing better to do but come on Joe just put the guy in his place politely

Kysen

Had Dan kept his mouth shut this would have blown over ages ago, seems like this must have been eating away at him all this time. Truly pathetic.

Top Bottom