• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Joe gets labeled a sexist Misogynist by Gamespot

Stuart360

Whether you like Joe or not, to call him a sell out of anything is ridiculous. He's probably going to get so much hate for his TLOU2 review, but he stuck to his guns. Like he stuck to his guns with his 3/10 Fallout 76 review, even though he had got a ton of hate for weeks from Fallout fanboys over his views about the game, BEFORE he posted his final review.
The fact he's not bowing down to SJW's and cancel culture shows he's the opposite of a sell out.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Whether you like Joe or not, to call him a sell out of anything is ridiculous. He's probably going to get so much hate for his TLOU2 review, but he stuck to his guns. Like he stuck to his guns with his 3/10 Fallout 76 review, even though he had got a ton of hate for weeks from Fallout fanboys over his views about the game, BEFORE he posted his final review.
The fact he's not bowing down to SJW's and cancel culture shows he's the opposite of a sell out.
And he shouldn't. And he doesn't need to either because unless he's secretly broke, he doesn't have to pander for free stuff and selling ad banners like 99% of other sites out there.

It goes to show it's possible to put good effort into game reviews despite being almost two weeks after launch. And still have a following who watch them.

Just about any other site trying to upload their boring article 12 days after launch (like Joe) will get no hits. Joe's YT review is at 1.9M hits and he actually has a follow up video about it with another 640k hits. So 2.5M hits in about 3-4 days.

I don't think even IGN or Gamespot would get this many hits on day one..... Edit. IGN's LoU2 YT review is at 2M hits in 3 weeks, and Gamespot's two LoU2 reviews (spoiler and spoiler free) add up to 400k total.

Last edited:

Shmunter

And he shouldn't. And he doesn't need to either because unless he's secretly broke, he doesn't have to pander for free stuff and selling ad banners like 99% of other sites out there.

It goes to show it's possible to put good effort into game reviews despite being almost two weeks after launch. And still have a following who watch them.

Just about any other site trying to upload their boring article 12 days after launch (like Joe) will get no hits. Joe's YT review is at 1.9M hits and he actually has a follow up video about it with another 640k hits. So 2.5M hits in about 3-4 days.

I don't think even IGN or Gamespot would get this many hits on day one.
Just had a look myself, Gamespot only has 200k views on their review. That’s extremely low, had no idea they were so irrelevant.

3 guys in a basement getting 10x more must hurt.

Shantae

Banned
Angry Joe probably has a lot more viewers then Gamespot. He should just ignore them like everyone else.
That's another aspect of it. Legit think it's jealousy, because Angry Joe probably brings more money than those fools make in years. Thought I read somewhere recently that he had a net-worth of $2.5 million or something? We already saw in Patrick Klepek revealing his salary recently he only made around 60-70k at giantbomb, so I'm sure this fool from gamespot ain't far from that.

Stuart360

Just had a look myself, Gamespot only has 200k views on their review. That’s extremely low, had no idea they were so irrelevant.

Yep it must frustrate the hell out of these 'professional' sites that are irrelevant these days, while Youtubers like Joe have more pull and relevance with the general public.
It must grind their wheels so much, i love it.

brap

Banned
That's another aspect of it. Legit think it's jealousy, because Angry Joe probably brings more money than those fools make in years. Thought I read somewhere recently that he had a net-worth of $2.5 million or something? We already saw in Patrick Klepek revealing his salary recently he only made around 60-70k at giantbomb, so I'm sure this fool from gamespot ain't far from that.
He came a long way from this...

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Yep it must frustrate the hell out of these 'professional' sites that are irrelevant these days, while Youtubers like Joe have more pull and relevance with the general public.
It must grind their wheels so much, i love it.
I edited my post with IGN and GS video view, and I guess you guys just missed it. But GS actually has TWO review videos (spoiler and spoiler free) and combined they are still only 400k. lol

The problem with the majoirity of game sites (whether they are big or small) is that most of them are the exact same. The ratings scales might be different, but the content is pretty similar.

No wonder Joe with his two week old reviews gets a following. He puts in production values and his videos show personality. Ya, he plays it up extra hyper, but still better than most text articles. If I want to skim some text, I'll just go to metacritic and skim the review scores. If I want to be entertained with a gamer who picks apart games like I want to see, I'll watch a streamer who 99% of the time is the opposite what a corporate editor dude will do for a review.

No different then when I'd play shooters more. I'll skim some text articles for scores and main info like modes, but for actual gameplay I'll watch a streamer. I can see what he does and the good ones will detail things like recoil and weapon tips on the fly as he plays and things like that. No IGN editor will go into detail like that in a text article or generic video file (which is basically based on the text article).

Last edited:

JLMC469

Banned
I edited my post with IGN and GS video view, and I guess you guys just missed it. But GS actually has TWO review videos (spoiler and spoiler free) and combined they are still only 400k. lol

The problem with the majoirity of game sites (whether they are big or small) is that most of them are the exact same. The ratings scales might be different, but the content is pretty similar.

No wonder Joe with his two week old reviews gets a following. He puts in production values and his videos show personality. Ya, he plays it up extra hyper, but still better than most text articles. If I want to skim some text, I'll just go to metacritic and skim the review scores. If I want to be entertained with a gamer who picks apart games like I want to see, I'll watch a streamer who 99% of the time is the opposite what a corporate editor dude will do for a review.

It also helps that he actually reviews them for what they are: GAMES. Not some piece of art like some do.

Shantae

Banned
It also helps that he actually reviews them for what they are: GAMES. Not some piece of art like some do.
In his TLOU2 review, he also does a real good job explaining his points, and even if you like the game, there are things that kinda fundamentally make it a weaker game than it's predecessor. Lack of multiplayer, so it has less value for some people. Some people did like that first game's multiplayer, so that's valid I think. Lack of innovation was another point, other than going prone, the game doesn't offer a whole lot in the way of new that the first one didn't already have. Another good point. There was more that he said, but I'd have to rewatch the video to remember the other points.

It's not like his score was low, was honestly surprised it was still a 6/10 from him. People are acting like he gave it a 1 or 2. Even then, he'd be well within his right to do so. It's the people who gave it a 10 out of 10 and ignoring some of these glaring issues who should be taken to task. Yet these critics are treated like the so called "professionals" and the ones whose quotes get plastered all over GOTY edition boxes.

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
*one of GameSpot's editors. I don't have any love for lowbrow, sensationalistic, clickbaity outlets like GameSpot (or someone who turns canned anger and shouting into a business model like Angry Joe, mind you) but let's not pretend one editor represents an outlet.

That being said someone really needs to understand that one can dislike a game and even vocally criticize it, and still disapprove of frankly disgusting death threats and harassment toward its developers and voice actors. The two things are not mutually exclusive.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I don't even like Angry Joe's content, but I watched this entire nearly 49 minute review just to see what the Gamespot guy was talking about, and there was no sexism or misogyny in the review whatsoever. Not even jokes that an overly sensitive person could misconstrue.

I disagree with his final verdict though. Not all stories should be sunshine and roses in the end. And almost no one is purely a hero or a villain.

giphy.gif

Jesus christ...and I thought I was bad at games.

That's beyond bad at games, that's having the problem solving skills of a toddler. A really stupid toddler.

Someone should send GameSpot one of these:

01Gkxnl.jpg

For them it'll be a master-level puzzle. The Dark Souls of puzzles.

Airbus Jr

Banned
I stiil dont understand

What happened to Gamespot

They used to be one of the biggest gaming website with IGN

Because of their shit comment section it forces people to leave?

Last edited:

zkorejo

It's a shame. I actually like Gamespot somewhat. This seems so attention seeking and low coming from them.

Seems like people don't want opinions and freedom. They want a boring world where everyone thinks alike and anyone that makes more sense than them or doesn't fall in line with them is an enemy and must be eliminated. Tch tch

Kagey K

Banned
It's a shame. I actually like Gamespot somewhat. This seems so attention seeking and low coming from them.

Seems like people don't want opinions and freedom. They want a boring world where everyone thinks alike and anyone that makes more sense than them or doesn't fall in line with them is an enemy and must be eliminated. Tch tch
The problem is that you can agree with them today, and tomorrow they will find you out of line.

It just keeps going further and further, and eventually everyone is going to find themselves on the wrong side.

disap.ed

Gamespot is still around? They are about as relevant as a VCR repair store. Saying you’re an editor at gamespot is as prestigious as saying you’re assistant manager at McDonalds.
VCR repair stores are actually more relevant, because RLM / Half in the bag exists 😉

Collin

Banned
i don’t like angry joe at all and i thought his tlou2 review was poorly argued but even i still see through this bullshit attempt from gamespot. clearly nothing in it was sexist or misogynistic, like come on

luffie

Good to see people defending Joe, cancel culture needs to stop. Too many people don't consider what it's like to be the one being canceled (which is ironic since this is such a core part of TLOU2, the game so many of them are defending).

That being said, I do agree that Joe's TLOU2 review was terrible and unprofessional. That doesn't justify this kind of treatment at all. Gotta be better than this.
I'm not sure what kind of professional standards that you are AJ on to, it's similar to all his other reviews, he doesn't work in a corporate company.
You either agree or disagree to his review, saying it terrible and unprofessional is illogical when that is his style and niche all along.

zkorejo

i don’t like angry joe at all and i thought his tlou2 review was poorly argued but even i still see through this bullshit attempt from gamespot. clearly nothing in it was sexist or misogynistic, like come on

Exactly. I will be honest, I think AJ was harsh with the scores a bit, for all it's shortcomings, I personally think as a game TLOU2 was atleast a solid 8.

But if he thinks it's a 6, how does that effect me or my enjoyment of the game? That's the beauty of everyone having their own opinions on it.

Just because he enjoyed the game less, it doesn't mean he should be wiped off the planet internet.

Last edited:
Top Bottom