• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Joe Quantum Break Review.

Disxo

Awesome review, but it is noticeable that he is doing them in a hurry, (last one was 2 weeks ago I think)
Btw
Its his opinion guys...

Edit:
The nissan advertisements lmao!

Haven't played the game, but I always thought that the TV sections were a strange thing to do in 2016.

I wish it turned out better though (if I were to enjoy it as much as Joe, I know others like it more) because Max Payne and Alan Wake are great games.

Abriael

Banned
Pretty poor review, weighed down by an enormous amount of hyperbole. Nothing out of the ordinary or unexpected from someone whose main selling point is being angry in video.

Not sure why this one deserved its own thread, and wasn't posted on the review thread, mind you.

Hoje0308

Banned
Interesting score. It's my favorite game of the year so far, but I can see how people would be put off by it. In fact, I wanted to sell it after my first run, but then did a second in which I skipped the cutscenes at the end of each act and spent more time shooting people in the face. The fact that my experience was more enjoyable when I ignored the hook that was supposed to elevate its narrative says a lot about my opinion of it. I can absolutely see how you could arrive at the score Joe has, even though I've already gone through QB twice and plan on doing another run in the near future.

Edit: Glad to see Joe give the lack of hip fire some attention. That's one of my major gripes about both Quantum Break and Tomb Raider. Absolutely ridiculous and QB especially would benefit from it.

True Fire

I always had a bad feeling about Quantum Break and Phantom Dust (which ended up getting canceled lol). Scalebound should be good, even if it only sells 2 copies.

NateDrake

Nothing really surprising with his score considering he uses the full scale. The consensus has been the game is average.

I haven't finished Quantum Break yet (just got to act 5), but I can agree on the game being relatively boring for a narrative driven game.

"Nissan/10"
2975698-9900328945-tumbl.gif

LowSignal

Not surprised, I find myself disagreeing with Joe more and more that I unsubed a month or two back. I feel like he gives low score reviews for clicks and attention. My advice to Joe is to get videos up faster and let Other Joe and the bearded guy talk without speaking over them. I like how he spoke his mind about "flipping the switch" during 2013 E3 and then shortly after things went south IMO

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Quantum Break is one of my favorite games I've played in a long time. That said, I loved all the nitpicking Joe does in the video. "We have to go back in time to when someone moved this trash can a foot forward." Haha

Somnia

I watched some of his stream of this game and knew he'd give it a bad review.

His use of the powers and the way he played it made my brain hurt.

SlickVic

Haven't played the game, but I always thought that the TV sections were a strange thing to do in 2016.

I wish it turned out better though (if I were to enjoy it as much as Joe, I know others like it more) because Max Payne and Alan Wake are great games.

To each his own. I won't call Joe's opinion "wrong" because he's stating how we felt and I can respect that. Personally I enjoyed Quantum Break's story every bit as much as I did Alan Wake's. While I think the combat is the weakest part of both games, I found it a lot more interesting than Alan Wake's.

And to me, the live action bits are pretty neat. I mentioned this in the OT, but I really liked the idea of seeing what was going on in the world from the POV of other characters. I think one of the challenges in storytelling in video games is not every story beat necessarily lends itself to having good gameplay moments. And being able to tell parts of this story without this constraint is kind of cool. I also liked how each Episode fit into a very specific part of the game, and each one was well integrated into what happened before in the game as well as helping to inform what came after.

I have my doubts this format will catch on with other games, but I'm glad to see Remedy experiment with this.

Hoje0308

Banned
It really doesn't. It's between a 7 and a 8 IMO.

Come on.

I haven't played this game, but his arguments are damning.
I can't help but be persuaded by this.

Or you could try it yourself. It has flaws, sure, but that doesn't mean you won't enjoy it. I agree with most of what Joe says, but I'd still give QB an 8, simply because the combat is so enjoyable. The story outside of the live action segments was compelling enough that I read through most of the collectible intel I found and the time effects can be jaw dropping. To each their own, but one opinion is just that. Find a Redbox or wait to get it on the cheap if you're that worried, but definitely check it out as it's a unique visual experience.

I am not gonna lie the live action parts are freaking boring.....TV shows and video games don't match imo..I appreciate the effort from the devs though.

To each his own. I won't call Joe's opinion "wrong" because he's stating how we felt and I can respect that. Personally I enjoyed Quantum Break's story every bit as much as I did Alan Wake's. While I think the combat is the weakest part of both games, I found it a lot more interesting than Alan Wake's.

And to me, the live action bits are pretty neat. I mentioned this in the OT, but I really liked the idea of seeing what was going on in the world from the POV of other characters. I think one of the challenges in storytelling in video games is not every story beat necessarily lends itself to having good gameplay moments. And being able to tell parts of this story without this constraint is kind of cool. I also liked how each Episode fit into a very specific part of the game, and each one was well integrated into what happened before in the game as well as helping to inform what came after.

I have my doubts this format will catch on with other games,
but I'm glad to see Remedy experiment with this.

I sincerely hope it doesn't.

GavinGT

Banned
Watched him on his stream the other day. He clearly didn't grasp the core combat loop.

People keep saying stuff like this as if it's some deep system. It's not like the powers mesh together in any creative ways. You just pop whatever power isn't on cooldown.

EBE

i always want to ask why Joe gets his own threads but im sure it gets asked a lot in other Joe threads so i wont bother. just feels like one should update the review thread if they want Joe's inclusion.

anyway, i do agree with a couple of Joe's points; i also do not believe the live action elements of the game's narrative add anything meaningful to the way in which the story unfolds. they distract from game flow and are more intrusive than anything, especially considering their long length. the live action portions of Alan Wake were short vignettes which were embedded into the game itself -- they were not separate from it as they are in QB. using live action in Alan Wake was thematically appropriate as well; struggling to know what was fact or fiction, real or dream was a core element of Alan Wake's conceptual puzzle and so using live action actors in Wake's monologues or the Night Springs episodes further accentuated and reinforced that theme. put simply, there is no reason for the tv elements to exist in Quantum Break except for Remedy to be entirely self indulgent in their obsession with Hollywood (or in this case, television).

Remedy went to such effort to secure star actors and recreate their near-exact likenesses in-game but failed to craft any interesting emotional moments between these persons. they are actors in search of characters. jack, will, paul, and hatch are undeveloped and a forced emotional bond between jack and beth is just that: forced. it really is sophomoric coming off of Alan Wake, which crafted a wonderfully conflicted protagonist with Wake; a writer suffering from creative block, prone to anger and jealousy, who pushes himself away from those that care about him, and who must learn to overcome the darkness inside himself to free the light. jack is... jack is a boyscout. he does the right thing because hes the main character. there is zero depth to him by comparison.

Based on the issues he demonstrated in the video, it seems like 5 is a perfectly fine score for the game. The only thing that stands out to me is the visuals but the less-than-perfect IQ takes the edge off that for me.

Ashtar

Why does angry Joe get his own thread? Why can't it go in the review thread like the other 50 reviews? Does Joe have enough clout to warrant his own thread on here? I don't understand, he got his own thread on the division as well, why?

GavinGT

Banned
Why does angry Joe get his own thread? Why can't it go in the review thread like the other 50 reviews? Does Joe have enough clout to warrant his own thread on here? I don't understand, he got his own thread on the division as well, why?

People want to see these and they won't see them if they're buried in weeks-old review threads.

People keep saying stuff like this as if it's some deep system. It's not like the powers mesh together in any creative ways. You just pop whatever power isn't on cooldown.

It's not particular deep, but the execution can in fact be creative and produce some particularly satisfying results.

My opinion is just as valid as his. Though he clearly didn't "get" the combat. His play on the stream was awful.

The game is above average but flawed.

Your opinion isn't nearly as valid because you backed it up with nothing, and said that objectively it is this good. That's not how it works, you can't choose how much other people enjoy something.

Because people click on it and the mods are cool with it. People have asked this for years and these threads have continued to get made.

Disxo

I think Its kind of a tradition, and some of us like to hear his opinions, and its some kind of personality, Been relevant for more than 5 years.
Why Conan O'brien has his own clueless gamer threads?
(My last bit doesnt make make much sense though)

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood

Hoje0308

Banned
My opinion is just as valid as his. Though he clearly didn't "get" the combat. His play on the stream was awful.

The game is above average but flawed.

You positioned your opinion above those of others with your certainty though. So yes, your opinion of it being a 7 or 8 is valid, as is Joe's score of 5. And if someone being shit at a game precludes them from doing a review, then a large portion of the industry would be out of work. :p

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Agreed completely with this review, and Quantum Break will be the last full retail game I purchase digitally. Feel pretty burned. After all that hype, the game was utterly disappointing.

With that being said, it looks like Joe is hung over as fuck in his video reviews, at least when he's playing the games. Just always seems so damn impatient and annoyed. I know a hangover when I see one. ;)

Top Bottom