• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Joe - Top 10 WORST Games of 2020

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

10. Crucible
9. Hyperscape
8. Madden 2020
8. Fifa 2020 (Switch)
7. Valorant
6. Predator: Hunting Grounds
5. Cyberpunk 2077
4. Warcraft 3: Reforged
3. Marvel's Avengers
2. Last of Us: Part 2
1. Fast and Furious: Crossroads

Do you agree with Joe's List?

The last of us part 2?

Esta bien pendejo Joe.

TLOU 2 Is a Great game....

This youtuber, his analysis has declined a lot, he allows himself to be manipulated by the opinion of the people.

Fredrik

Lol at his TLOUp2 rant. I never played the game though so I have no idea if his complaints are valid, didn’t see Game of Throne either, but it was an entertaining mental breakdown 😅
And I never knew they actually showed Abby getting fucked lol, not that the violence isn’t going over the top as well but imagine the headlines if Crystal Dynamics would put Lara in that spot
kramer do not want GIF

Paltheos

He's so getting roasted on a site starting with REEE for Nr.2 lol

I was about to say 'Angry Joe's been banned from there tho' and googled it to be sure.
Second hit is 'Angry Joe's Worst Games of 2020', where he is indeed getting roasted, and the topic's been locked for 'not providing a platform to Angry Joe', so I guess we're both right lol

Strategize

If he wanted to put TLOU2 on most disappointing then fine whatever.

But no hater with above 3 IQ and without a inherent bias, can legitimately say it deserves to be on a list with objectively broken, predatory/unethical, awful and poorly made in every way games. The game is objectively a masterpiece from a technical standpoint, that alone is enough to lift it off here and on to best or disappointing depending on where you lie.

It's just reactionary salt from the fact that despite all the noise and hate, it was all for nothing. Just give it up, it's done, it won GOTY and the people that loved it then still love it now. Move on and stop the hyperbole.

Last edited:
Watched it

Comparing TLOU2 to Game of Thrones Season 8 is.....accurate

I was thinking it and called it before he said it out loud. If we see TLoU at least partly as "interactive cinema" the GoT analogy is especially apt. It's literally the first thing that jumped to mind. A season 8 with massive production values but so sub-par and uneven it nearly (or completely, depending on the viewer) ruins the re-watchability of an otherwise brilliant series. Altho I wouldn't place TLoU2 this high on a "worst of" list and feel it would be more appropriate to put it on his "most disappointing" list instead, I think he has a resoundingly valid argument. The narrative of this series is a massive part of evaluating it, and when the author disrespects the previous material and the fanbase to such a degree its worthy of serious criticism, whatever positive qualities the game play and technical aspects may bring to the table.

sobaka770

Banned
I like his reviews sometimes but he often has bad takes as a critic cause he's just not particularly analytical.

Case in point, he made top 10 disappointing games and TLOU2 wasn't in it. But Worst? Right next to junk like Warcraft Reforged that is a broken promises cash grab and straight out unplayable messes? Just comes off moronic, whiney and unprofessional.

Apart from that the list is ok. Also I don't see how Valorant is so terrible either even if I don't play it.

He should've had NBA 2K21 on the list tied at #8 with Madden/FIFA (tho I'd argue those probably should be higher on the list). Elder Scrolls Blades should be on there too.

Otherwise a good list and #2 is particularly entertaining just to see it trigger people.

Lanrutcon

If he wanted to put TLOU2 on most disappointing then fine whatever.

But no hater with above 3 IQ and without a inherent bias, can legitimately say it deserves to be on a list with objectively broken, predatory/unethical, awful and poorly made in every way games. The game is objectively a masterpiece from a technical standpoint, that alone is enough to lift it off here and on to best or disappointing depending on where you lie.

"Anyone who doesn't share my opinion is dumb and biased"

Seems legit.

"Anyone who doesn't share my opinion is dumb and biased"

Seems legit.

Yeah I'm not going to shit on the game since I personally think it probably belongs on a "most disappointing" rather than "worst of" list. But saying it's an "objective masterpiece" is out of touch with reality.

There's nothing inherently wrong with Hyper Scape, other than wrong game at the wrong time.

Valorant is a very competent mixture of CS:GO and Overwatch with a high skill ceiling.

TLOU2 may not have been everyone's cup of tea but putting it in the legit worst games of all year is straight up trolling. To be fair the same goes for Cyberpunk and Avengers.

Yeah thats just bullshit.

Even if the story and Abby's biceps trigger you that hard, it's still a game that looks and plays amazing.

The debate about the story is relevant because it's a narrative driven SP game. If it was a Battle Royale MP game no one would give two shits about the story.

Story quality is often subjective, but just as often it can be universally agreed that something is a true work of art or garbage... Or a preponderance of a fan base might agree that a particular narrative change is a step up or down for an existing franchise or character about which fans have developed certain expectations. Do characters act logically consistent, are narrative changes made purely for shock value but struggle to make sense, etc....

How much should writers be constrained by the need to conduct at least some fan service? Disney, for example, found out that with established properties like Star Wars an otherwise solid writer/director like Ryan Johnson might not be the best fit bc most SW fans have certain logical expectations of the story and beloved characters which probably should be fulfilled to some degree if the creators want that property to continue being popular. Ryan Johnson: Knives Out was good. The Last Jedi in many ways not so much. Turning things on their head is sometimes great... But isn't always the best choice.

I guess with TLoU2 it comes down to whether or not an individual gamer truly cares about that established narrative. For many people the change of direction in TLoU2 probably wasn't a big deal. "The game plays fine, looks good...so what?" But for others TLoU2 is disappointing to the point of being offensive (for reasons that have nothing to do with a female character looking like a roided out East German swim team captain. I personally couldn't care less about this aspect other than finding it funny bc of how unrealistic it would be for a female to maintain that type of physique in a calorie starved apocalypse scenario...🤦‍♂️😅).

Aside from disagreements about story beats, rating the game would come down to whether or not there's anything particularly innovative about TLoU2 that deserved all the lavish praise as Game of the Year. I'm a huge fan of the first game and feel it deserved all the accolades and then some. The second one coming out 7 years later...well...does it do much better in terms of the game play loop? It does look better, I'll give it that. But for its time the first game was objectively a far bigger accomplishment.

Melubas

I have a hard time seeing how TLOU2 deserves to be on that list. It's a very well-crafted game that plays amazingly and is well-written. It's ok to not like it but I can't buy having it as your second worst game of the year. Didn't watch the video yet but I imagine him putting Cyberpunk on there is due to the console versions? I played it on PC and loved it, didn't have that many bugs.

mxbison

The debate about the story is relevant because it's a narrative driven SP game. If it was a Battle Royale MP game no one would give two shits about the story.

Story quality is often subjective, but just as often it can be universally agreed that something is a true work of art or garbage... Or a preponderance of a fan base might agree that a particular narrative change is a step up or down for an existing franchise or character about which fans have developed certain expectations. Do characters act logically consistent, are narrative changes made purely for shock value but struggle to make sense, etc....

How much should writers be constrained by the need to conduct at least some fan service? Disney, for example, found out that with established properties like Star Wars an otherwise solid writer/director like Ryan Johnson might not be the best fit bc most SW fans have certain logical expectations of the story and beloved characters which probably should be fulfilled to some degree if the creators want that property to continue being popular. Ryan Johnson: Knives Out was good. The Last Jedi in many ways not so much. Turning things on their head is sometimes great... But isn't always the best choice.

I guess with TLoU2 it comes down to whether or not an individual gamer truly cares about that established narrative. For many people the change of direction in TLoU2 probably wasn't a big deal. "The game plays fine, looks good...so what?" But for others TLoU2 is disappointing to the point of being offensive (for reasons that have nothing to do with a female character looking like a roided out East German swim team captain. I personally couldn't care less about this aspect other than finding it funny bc of how unrealistic it would be for a female to maintain that type of physique in a calorie starved apocalypse scenario...🤦‍♂️😅).

Aside from disagreements about story beats, rating the game would come down to whether or not there's anything particularly innovative about TLoU2 that deserved all the lavish praise as Game of the Year. I'm a huge fan of the first game and feel it deserved all the accolades and then some. The second one coming out 7 years later...well...does it do much better in terms of the game play loop? It does look better, I'll give it that. But for its time the first game was objectively a far bigger accomplishment.

I get that and understand the criticism.

Still think it's ridiculous to say it's the second worst game of the year. Looks like clickbait / catering to the trolls.

Top Bottom